Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im thinking about making an android app which is just a receiver for push notifications from Google Cloud Messaging, and then have a server setup which monitors other sites and sends me notifications when they update. i dont really have any concrete use cases yet but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thats called rss valeyard

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

thats called rss valeyard

yeah but that obviously depends on the thing you are looking at actually having an rss feed

im interested in trying out android development, the actual focus isnt too important. its either that or the other idea was to create an alarm app that wakes you up based on gps coordinates rather than based on a timer

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

qntm posted:

So your biggest problem with Python is something that has been fixed?

That particular thing has been fixed but the general complaint of "Python doesn't fail fast" still applies.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Type annotations will probably help a lot though. Now I just have to convince the astronomy community to switch over to Python 3.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Type annotations will probably help a lot though. Now I just have to convince the astronomy community to switch over to Python 3.

the type annotations are only for ides that support it, they dont have any semantic meaning in the compiler/interpreter yet so it wont help at all lmao

i was incredibly disappointed to learn that

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Arcsech posted:

the type annotations are only for ides that support it, they dont have any semantic meaning in the compiler/interpreter yet so it wont help at all lmao

i was incredibly disappointed to learn that

:sigh:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
and then it'll get taken out in 6 months because it's ~~unpythonic~~

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

terrible wacky database janitor/developer job 90-day trip report: "so we just assign you the fix my database tickets nobody can figure out and you blow through them and never have a backlog, great job. you're the only one who like documents anything ever so keep doing that. oh also you're added to the list of people who handle our internal fix my database tickets too, the only other person on the list has been here for 3 years"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

terrible wacky database janitor/developer job 90-day trip report: "so we just assign you the fix my database tickets nobody can figure out and you blow through them and never have a backlog, great job. you're the only one who like documents anything ever so keep doing that. oh also you're added to the list of people who handle our internal fix my database tickets too, the only other person on the list has been here for 3 years"

ask for more money

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
always ask for more money regardless of performance reviews. ask for more money every year.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

VikingofRock posted:

I don't think Python is a bad language, and there are some very nice things about it. I just think it is sometimes very frustrating to work with / maintain.

python is my favourite and i think it's a terrible language. it's just it's scientific ecosystem is spectacular

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

coffeetable posted:

python is my favourite and i think it's a terrible language. it's just it's scientific ecosystem is spectacular

Yeah this is definitely true. And god knows it's better than IDL (which is what astronomers used before). I just wish that the scientific ecosystem had grown up in a non-scripting language, like java or something. Not that java is perfect or anything, I just think it's easier to maintain large projects in java than python.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 10, 2015

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

always ask for more money regardless of performance reviews. ask for more money every year.
i did this and they said no and i quit*

and in the 24 hours since resigning, three interviews have basically fallen out the sky. woo tech bubble.

*i am a child w/ no responsibilities so this is a thing i can do

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

coffeetable posted:

i did this and they said no and i quit*

and in the 24 hours since resigning, three interviews have basically fallen out the sky. woo tech bubble.

*i am a child w/ no responsibilities so this is a thing i can do

gently caress yeah :black101:

luigi: find out what 3-year guy is making

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

hack the databases to find out

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

gently caress yeah :black101:

3-year girl and she has the same job title I do (associate engineer) so lol

Valeyard posted:

hack the databases to find out

I don't have access to that Gibson and I believe this would be inadvisable

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Luigi Thirty posted:

3-year girl and she has the same job title I do (associate engineer) so lol

I'm ashamed of the gender assumption, but don't think for a second that everyone with that title makes the same money. women do tend to be underpaid, though, so that might not be the leverage you're looking for.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think i'm going to write a thing like slate or divvy but for wayland and in rust

the only problem is that i cant seem to click on anything when i load up gnome in wayland

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

women do tend to be underpaid, though, so that might not be the leverage you're looking for.

betcha he's making more

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fritz posted:

betcha he's making more

idk, with no experience he might have been low-balled to gently caress

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Subjunctive posted:

i don't know that i'd call that lowballing, zero experience candidates are a pretty big risk

he should get a pretty massive raise now though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dessert Rose posted:

i don't know that i'd call that lowballing, zero experience candidates are a pretty big risk

you solve that by firing people who are bad, though, not anchoring someone's salary in a bad spot. IMO!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think luigi thirty's ascent from 'hey should i leave this retail job' to qualified bad program has been pretty cool

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i think luigi thirty's ascent from 'hey should i leave this retail job' to qualified bad program has been pretty cool

yeah, it's awesome. could be the sleeper feel-good musical hit of the season

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

this place is notorious for lowballing in general but my lowball is in line with the other lowballs according to glassdoor. [e: for Reasons] I also live in my parents' basement and save thousands every month.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 11, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

i only recently started using java, the last time i looked at it was in literally 1995, and there are still some mysteries to me about how packages and classes interact with files and directories, and how jars work with other jars and how any of the build systems work, but i really do like the discipline that it enforces

jars are the best and worst thing about java

best things:
  • manifests
  • versioning
  • actual metadata that doesn't require you to execute potentially hostile code to parse it

worst things:
  • classpaths
  • custom classloaders
  • horrifying single-jar generator tools
  • classfiles present in more than one jar in your classpath

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

My biggest problem with python is that "fail fast" is not one of their design goals. You don't have a compiler to catch anything but the most basic syntax errors, you don't have a type system which keeps you from doing stupid stuff, and a bunch of stuff that should throw an exception doesn't.

For example, recently I was doing a thing where I was reading some data from a file, and then cutting out all the entries with some_field < 20. Except I forgot to cast some_field to numerical type. So later in some unrelated function, when I cut out everything where (some_field < 20), I ended up keeping everything because strings are always greater than numbers. So later in some unrelated function, things failed because I was passing it a bunch of junk data (because the things with some_field < 20 were junk).

If I had been coding this in a language with a stronger type system, it wouldn't have compiled because the return type of my parsing function would have been wrong. If I had been coding this in a language which threw exceptions for things like comparing '21' with 20, I would have been able to figure things out quickly there. But instead my small mistake in my parsing function broke things way, way later and I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure out why the hell nothing was working.

Apparently they've made ('21' > 20) throw an exception in python 3, but everyone still uses python 2 so that doesn't really help.
the common stockholm syndrome response to this is that it doesn't matter because you should've been writing unit tests!

(lol)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dessert Rose posted:

he should get a pretty massive raise now though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Luigi Thirty posted:

this place is notorious for lowballing in general but my lowball is in line with the other lowballs according to glassdoor. [e: for Reasons] I also live in my parents' basement and save thousands every month.

you're the best terrible programmer ever

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i think i'm going to write a thing like slate or divvy but for wayland and in rust

the only problem is that i cant seem to click on anything when i load up gnome in wayland

how is wayland now?

it "felt" nicer than x-windows when I tried it on my RPi2 but it didn't really let me do much, most stuff didn't work with it out of the box and I didn't want to invest in whatever hacking would be needed to bring up the full environment

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

good

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

the common stockholm syndrome response to this is that it doesn't matter because you should've been writing unit tests!

(lol)

i wish more languages were designed for how people actually write programs and now how they should write them. all the p-langs are terrible offenders here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fidel sarcastro posted:

i wish more languages were designed for how people actually write programs and now how they should write them. all the p-langs are terrible offenders here.

blaming the programmer is really much more satisfying than trying to understand people's actual needs

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

duck typing is a repulsive abomination foisted as a feature

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

how is wayland now?

it "felt" nicer than x-windows when I tried it on my RPi2 but it didn't really let me do much, most stuff didn't work with it out of the box and I didn't want to invest in whatever hacking would be needed to bring up the full environment

well it is currently (literally) unusable for me. i don't know if that's because my environment is hosed up (very possible) or because my display port 30" monitor is breaking it or because wayland itself is just broken. probably all 3

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

the worst part is if your language just has interfaces then you get basically all the dynamics of duck typing but also it gets to be type safe. there's like literally no downside aside from having to write "implements butt" but i guess that's just horrible

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

im honestly a little bit baffled how dynamically typed languages are actually getting more popular than statically typed langs

burn everything to the ground

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

it's a solution to a problem no one was having, since you should be coding to an interface anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

fidel sarcastro posted:

it's a solution to a problem no one was having, since you should be coding to an interface anyway.
to be fair, it solves the problem of getting novices to work w/ toy programs w/ minimal knowledge

• Locked thread