Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

F. Lobot posted:

Speaking of charity, this kid's Make-a-Wish wish was to meet/become an LP superstar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GUJmgiEYec

His channel now has zero videos and 215,000+ subscribers. :gbsmith:

Further confirming the "Mark's a nice dude" thing I suppose.
That must have been quite a surprise though, that Make A Wish got in contact with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Roman Reigns posted:

Everything I've heard about the FNAF creator indicates he's a pretty cool guy.

TB on the other hand...I heard he stated that he doesn't believe racism exists, once.

Well of course he doesn't. He personally hasn't experienced it and since his viewpoint is the most important and most correct, it must not exist. Same thing for a trans person's dysphoria.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

TB on the other hand...I heard he stated that he doesn't believe racism exists, once.
I think he specifically said something like "racism doesn't exist in the UK, it's an American problem". He may have also said racism wasn't real but I hadn't heard of that.

Oh, and he thinks he's a victim of racism because of British bad guys in films or something.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

I think he specifically said something like "racism doesn't exist in the UK, it's an American problem". He may have also said racism wasn't real but I hadn't heard of that.

Oh, and he thinks he's a victim of racism because of British bad guys in films or something.

"Oi oi bangers and mash."
"How dare you, those are OUR words."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Roman Reigns posted:

FNAF guy is a practicing Christian who does animation work for Christian kids films and from all accounts is the kind of Christian who practices what Jesus taught.

TB is a racist shithead going by when he used to do live streams. He found every slur possible to use against his Starcraft opponents (and no it wasn't trash talking, he used to say a lot of stuff about English being superior than other inferior races.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 10, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am not 100% sure that this is the right place to ask but I don't know where else to.

What has TotalBiscuit done to generate so much hate? Apparently a certain faction of gamers who we are not supposed to talk about jumped to his defense, but I would imagine this happened because of something he's done. Can anyone illuminate me?

http://whatdidtotalbiscuitdonow.tumblr.com/

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sout posted:

Further confirming the "Mark's a nice dude" thing I suppose.
That must have been quite a surprise though, that Make A Wish got in contact with him.

Jesse Cox did a Make-A-Wish thing a year or two ago. Whenever that one Maker Studios game jam fiasco happened, he mentioned he took the guy there to hang out with YouTube people or w/e and they were like "nope, this is a trainwreck" and left.

I don't think it's that shocking given Markiplier has a huge fanbase.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 10, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

About all I know about Scott Cawthon is that he was originally doing some kids game featuring a beaver who bought robotic beavers to chop down trees automatically for him. The CG was pretty firmly across the uncanny valley, and Jim Sterling called that out. Scott took it pretty hard, but decided to play up the creepy factor and now we have a horror game series with three-going-on-four entries that's a smash success on YouTube.

The man knows how to make lemonade out of lemons. I can respect that.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mark was also at that game jam, and I remember hearing about him being real cool and gave a smart answer when the host or whoever tried to illicit a controversial response from him regarding the female gamers being as skilled as their male counterparts.

Also

Mokinokaro posted:

TB is a racist shithead going by when he used to do live streams. He found every slur possible to use against his Starcraft opponents (and no it wasn't trash talking, he used to say a lot of stuff about English being superior than other inferior races.)

Lol. Makes sense considering what Nihilarian posted.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Page after page of a man being outraged at people being outraged.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
TB's one true crime was failing to finish Shining Force 3

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

the "I'm a victim of racism" bit doesn't seem to be in there, so let's see if I can find it.

Here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bggh3EOMU&t=1200s

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Even if you can't stand Markiplier's videos, even if his voice makes your blood boil and his choice in games makes you hiss with impotent rage, you have to admit that he's a nice dude.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

inthesto posted:

TB's one true crime was failing to finish Shining Force 3

I think he's still "boycotting" Sega over that to this day.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

Yep. He wouldn't touch alien isolation due to Sega being publisher.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

HGH posted:

No quotes about it, he's straight up boycotting them. Anything SEGA touches gets next to no coverage from him, and what little bit he does say is that he's still boycotting them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think he said basically he just wanted SEGA to apologize for the copyright stuff they pulled when that all happened, not even directly related to his issues with the kerfuffle, since it was pretty stupid all around and they flat out refused.

He also doesn't cover CD Project Red's games though for a different reason since they own GOG.com and that site sponsors his Starcraft 2 team.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

the "I'm a victim of racism" bit doesn't seem to be in there, so let's see if I can find it.

Here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bggh3EOMU&t=1200s

Is he seriously saying British villain voices is racist?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

He probably thinks people are imitating him, being a British Villain and all.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Golden Goat posted:

He's saying that if you accept Tiny Tina's voice acting as racist (which he doesn't), then you logically also have to accept the "British villain" stereotype as racist (which he doesn't).

The kicker is that if you rewind 30 seconds to 19:30, he says "Maybe I'm taking a really shallow view of racism, but..." and then proceeds to vomit white privilege for the next two minutes. He really does a stellar job of calling himself out without realizing it. :allears:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

inthesto posted:

He's saying that if you accept Tiny Tina's voice acting as racist (which he doesn't), then you logically also have to accept the "British villain" stereotype as racist (which he doesn't).

The kicker is that if you rewind 30 seconds to 19:30, he says "Maybe I'm taking a really shallow view of racism, but..." and then proceeds to vomit white privilege for the next two minutes. He really does a stellar job of calling himself out without realizing it. :allears:

Okay full context that's understandable sort of. Seriously I sometimes agree with the guy on things but he always follows everything up with some insane speech that starts with "I may be a straight white male but let me tell you why you shouldn't be offended".

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Yeah it's totally racist that British English actors get all the best roles. :rolleyes:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

How does American vs British vs Australian have anything to do with racism? They're all loving mostly white.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Saith posted:

Yeah it's totally racist that British English actors get all the best roles. :rolleyes:

No, silly. It's reinforcing a harmful stereotype. You know, the kind of stereotyping that causes British people to be hired less often and more likely to be shot by police officers because society teaches us to automatically assume they're all James Bond villains? 'Cause that's totally a thing, right? :rolleye:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

No, silly. It's reinforcing a harmful stereotype. You know, the kind of stereotyping that causes British people to be hired less often and more likely to be shot by police officers because society teaches us to automatically assume they're all James Bond villains? 'Cause that's totally a thing, right? :rolleye:

#Notallbrits

'You can't say that all British people love tea you racist! What if I say how much black people love fried chicken, watermelon and looting then? Oh, suddenly I'm the racist because you say so huh?!'

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Alternatively, the British Empire enslaved and "colonized" a bunch of countries around the world for the longest time, so are you that surprised that people associate your accent with evilness?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
To be fair, some of the blame lies with the British culture, who have long idolized thieves.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

To be fair, some of the blame lies with the British culture, who have long idolized thieves.

Only if they're white and english though.

Meanwhile, england is growing more and more racist by the day.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Dias posted:

Alternatively, the British Empire enslaved and "colonized" a bunch of countries around the world for the longest time, so are you that surprised that people associate your accent with evilness?

It's not like I personally care either way, but surely by that logic, everyone would be casting Turks as villains all the time.

I always assumed it was something to do with the perception of sophistication. Someone told me it was a result of all those WW2 movies having the Germans acted by British actors (or speaking with British accents) to differentiate them from the Allies, who spoke with American accents, but since I haven't watched many war movies, I have no idea if this is true or not. v:v:v

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While I don't generally like Game Grumps, this is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtLDQVHIEc

One of them who actually plays WoW attempts to drag the rest of them through the leveling content of the newest expansion and it is one of the greatest trainwrecks I have ever seen.

Edit: Dunno if it still counts as a LP, because they do this weird reality TV show style thing where it bounces between the game screen and filming them actually playing, but still hilarious.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 11, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They are far from the only ones. I imagine you'll find some kind of an antiauthoritan figure like this in just about every culture.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

While I don't generally like Game Grumps, this is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtLDQVHIEc

One of them who actually plays WoW attempts to drag the rest of them through the leveling content of the newest expansion and it is one of the greatest trainwrecks I have ever seen.

Edit: Dunno if it still counts as a LP, because they do this weird reality TV show style thing where it bounces between the game screen and filming them actually playing, but still hilarious.
It starts to get whiny by episode 3 but the idea of "Australian man tortures 4 people by making them play WoW" is funny enough.
If you're gonna watch you'll probably need a high, high resistance to ADD people though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was beginning to lose my interest at episode 3 but then he made them do a dungeon and :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HGH posted:

If you're gonna watch you'll probably need a high, high resistance to ADD people though.

This is true of anything Ross is in ever.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Dan once again proves he's the best of the grumps by peacing out of a game he doesn't like long before the others do.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

anilEhilated posted:

They are far from the only ones. I imagine you'll find some kind of an antiauthoritan figure like this in just about every culture.

I must have really messed up that joke. I was making fun of people who accused black people of being at fault for discrimination because their culture idolizes gangsters. I was not making a serious statement about the British national character.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

It is only an episode in and it looks like the update schedule will be fairly slow, but this guy Josh Trevett is doing a critical Let's Play of Dark Souls in which he goes into detail about its Joseph Campbell influences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKvHC2-UhL0

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

paradoxGentleman posted:

Even if you can't stand Markiplier's videos, even if his voice makes your blood boil and his choice in games makes you hiss with impotent rage, you have to admit that he's a nice dude.

He actually guested in some game grumps videos recently where he was just being himself and it was actually really enjoyable. If he ever dropped the godawful pewdiepie shtick id watch him every day honestly

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Monicro posted:

He actually guested in some game grumps videos recently where he was just being himself and it was actually really enjoyable. If he ever dropped the godawful pewdiepie shtick id watch him every day honestly

He seems like such a hugely swell dude that it's a shame he does the Pewdiepie thing.

I suppose at least the twelve year olds that go in for that have a better influence than Pewdiepie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only Markiplier thing I ever saw was the clip Slowbeef lampooned.

• Locked thread