Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Just needs some colored bulbs, and it would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbazJysivTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65kQ_IaQE4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How the poo poo is that even possible.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Bad Munki posted:

How the poo poo is that even possible.

I don't think it is, given how those are built. The motor is around the downrod which the lights connect to. The blades of the fan attach to the outside of the motor.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Plus there'd have to be slip rings or something to power the lights or it'd take about a second and a half for the wires to twist to the point of breaking.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bad Munki posted:

Plus there'd have to be slip rings or something to power the lights or it'd take about a second and a half for the wires to twist to the point of breaking.

They come with a lot of slack to stuff back in.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Don't think of it as the fan motor pulling your Romex out of the ceiling and twisting it around the axle like spaghetti on a fork until it rips it free of the breaker. Think of it as a safety shutoff.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Dragyn posted:

I don't think it is, given how those are built. The motor is around the downrod which the lights connect to. The blades of the fan attach to the outside of the motor.

The downrod is being spun instead of the blades. Whichever resists less is the piece that will move.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like to imagine in perfect cartoon fashion if you hold the lights still, the rest of the room will be forced to spin.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Ashcans posted:

Good morning thread. See if you can spot the problem in this kitchen!

(courtesy imgur)

Looks like they hung their wall cabinets with plastic drywall anchors... maybe 4 per cabinet... I'm surprised the weight of the cabinets themselves didn't pull them off the wall.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A kitchen cabinet in our old apartment did that. When we spotted it the top was no longer hanging on but the cabinet was still attached at the bottom and vaguely perpendicular to the floor.

We moved all the glassware and crockery out of it, then apartment maintenance then came and glued the cabinet back against the wall.

We began storing all our glassware and dishes in the floor level cabinets.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
What I don't get about that is that it's harder to use anchors or adhesive than it is to impact-drive #10 screws into studs. Finding the stud is literally a matter of tapping and listening if it's blueboard or drywall. What am I missing, other than :effort:?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Builders that don't care?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

What I don't get about that is that it's harder to use anchors or adhesive than it is to impact-drive #10 screws into studs. Finding the stud is literally a matter of tapping and listening if it's blueboard or drywall. What am I missing, other than :effort:?

I honestly don't understand why anyone would attempt to hang cabinets without a french cleat. It makes it stupid simple to get them level and gives you something easy to hang them from while you fasten the rest. Like you can literally do it by yourself.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

Something about that places makes me think that wall pretty much is nothing BUT drywall with the absolute minimum of wood to keep the wall from falling over.

As an aside, I suppose the tenant is full responsible for replacing damaged goods, right?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Samizdata posted:

As an aside, I suppose the tenant is full responsible for replacing damaged goods, right?

Obviously they overloaded the cabinets, so they're responsible for replacing them and the counter tops (which were scratched when the tenant's goods fell on them) and the fridge (which was dented). They'll also have to replace all the cabinets, not just the ones they irresponsibly overloaded, because they need to all match and those were the cheapest possible clearance custom cabinets and aren't available anymore and it looks like the blinds were damaged, too, so those'll need replaced. Also the light fixture, since it looks like the dome was destroyed. They'll need to pay to have the floor repaired and tiled, as well. Oh, and they'll need to provide receipts for the professional cleaners they will hire to clean up this mess...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

Obviously they overloaded the cabinets, so they're responsible for replacing them and the counter tops (which were scratched when the tenant's goods fell on them) and the fridge (which was dented). They'll also have to replace all the cabinets, not just the ones they irresponsibly overloaded, because they need to all match and those were the cheapest possible clearance custom cabinets and aren't available anymore and it looks like the blinds were damaged, too, so those'll need replaced. Also the light fixture, since it looks like the dome was destroyed. They'll need to pay to have the floor repaired and tiled, as well. Oh, and they'll need to provide receipts for the professional cleaners they will hire to clean up this mess...

Yup. Suckage. Just as I expected. And happened to me when a line from a toilet broke above my computer room in my old apartment.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Samizdata posted:

Yup. Suckage. Just as I expected. And happened to me when a line from a toilet broke above my computer room in my old apartment.

I had an apartment where water started pouring down through the ceiling. I came home maybe an hour after it started (luckily), and called the office to have them go check out the apartment upstairs. 30 minutes later, no maintenance was to be found. I called back and the staff said that "maintenance is busy doing something on the roof on a different building", and I responded by saying that if they knew how much water was coming down, they would drop everything and send someone right away.
Maintenance guy knocks on the door and his eyes go wide, and then he runs upstairs. The neighbor's dog had chewed clean through the toilet water supply line, and it was gushing down through the ceiling for about an hour and a half.

These scrubby slumlords came in and removed all the wet carpet padding (with no intention to replace the carpet, just the padding). A week later they still hadn't come back to replace it, saying that "all the carpet padding is sold out and on backorder". Yes, I believe you that in a US city of 600k people that there isn't a single scrap of carpet padding to be had. :jerkbag:
They only came and did it when I threatened to withhold rent (as was my legal right).

That's one thing I don't miss about renting, although it was pretty hilarious to watch a globe light fixture hanging from the ceiling fill up like a fish bowl. :v:

Laminator posted:

Builders that don't care?

In the drywall behind my parents' cabinets there were dozens of holes drilled into empty drywall. Some lazy cabinet installer was just poking holes everywhere as a trial-and-error method to find a stud. The cabinets will cover it up, who cares?!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

canyoneer posted:

In the drywall behind my parents' cabinets there were dozens of holes drilled into empty drywall. Some lazy cabinet installer was just poking holes everywhere as a trial-and-error method to find a stud. The cabinets will cover it up, who cares?!

The first thing my dad ever taught me about building, when I was 3, was how to find a stud and measure 16 inches. Had my own Home Depot ruler and everything (it was 12 inches, so I had to learn how to mark the end with my finger and go another 4 inches!). I loved playing with his tools.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uhm, I'm not sure where else this might go but is powering a bitcoin mining farm by hooking your power supplies into a bare metal bar as terrifying as it looks?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

I honestly don't understand why anyone would attempt to hang cabinets without a french cleat. It makes it stupid simple to get them level and gives you something easy to hang them from while you fasten the rest. Like you can literally do it by yourself.

Yeah, about those french cleats... We have some haircutting stations at our locations. The french cleats they make for those stations out of particle board and laminate have edges like razors, no bullshit. It's honestly impressive how sharp they get that edge.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I heard you like fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajmgKKsXWtM

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I really, really wish that they were all spinning at the same time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FCKGW posted:

I really, really wish that they were all spinning at the same time.

The upper half of the house would tear free and fly off into the sunset.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Yeah, about those french cleats... We have some haircutting stations at our locations. The french cleats they make for those stations out of particle board and laminate have edges like razors, no bullshit. It's honestly impressive how sharp they get that edge.

I haven't used particle for that, but it makes sense. Lots of glue in your sawdust/lumber plus a quality sharp blade making the cut should end up being a pretty drat dangerous edge.

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

So is this the building inspector version of [sic]?

Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse
My house flooded back in 2011 during Hurricane Irene. I found a few interesting problems while doing the demo on the lower 2 feet of the house. Most notably, there was a large crack running through the entire slab from one side of the house to the other. This explained the ridiculous ant problem that somehow managed to pop up in the middle of my house when the lawn got soaked/flooded in the spring that year. This had also clearly been found and covered up previously as the glue on the slab for holding down the laminate flooring was clearly poured in the crack in places.

Which leads me to the laminate flooring, oh god. 90%-95% of that floor came up easily enough with 4 people working on it in one afternoon. A little trouble getting it started, but once that was started, pretty easy, until the last 5%. Some genius got near the end and realized that he still had a lot of glue left over for the flooring. His solution was to pour it on the floor and set the last of the boards in it. It took me 2 weeks to finish getting the boards off the slab. I was using chisels and rubber mallets to get between the boards and all that glue.

And for my own screwup, I decided that while the studs were exposed was the perfect time to wall mount my TV. I made a note of where the studs were at the bottom of the wall and later after we'd had he wall repaired and painted, I drilled holes and installed the whole setup. Even ran the cables for the TV through the wall. One day a few months later the TV shifts on the wall. A bolt popped out of place. I assume I messed up drilling a bit and get a bigger bolt to use to hold the TV onto the wall. A week or so later, that pops. At this point I decide the TV is no longer safe on the wall and take it down. I open the wall to check out what's happening. Despite marking the center of the studs at the base of the wall, I guess I messed up when I went up the wall. The bolts went in near the edge of the stud on that side and I split a piece off the stud with the weight of the TV. My contractor came out and fixed the he damage, also installed a thick wood plate behind the wall there for the TV so it won't fall down again. Additionally, he left me a detailed diagram with all the measurements from each side for where the studs and plate where so I could hang the TV right the next time.

I should have pictures of all this somewhere, just got to find them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Uhm, I'm not sure where else this might go but is powering a bitcoin mining farm by hooking your power supplies into a bare metal bar as terrifying as it looks?

It's almost certainly 48v DC.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

KillHour posted:

It's almost certainly 48v DC.

Here's the thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1072474

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I know that's basically how bus bars work inside panels and such, but there's no say that's cheaper/easier/more efficient than running wire is there?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wonderful.

also:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 11, 2015

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
:ussr:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was holding out hope that people couldn't be that stupid. But "China" and "Bitcoin miners" explains it.

That being said, if there's a place in the world you can make money doing that, it's probably China.

Bitcoin mining: taking the side effect of "producing useful goods" out of the stereotypical Captain Planet villain's plans.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 11, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

I know that's basically how bus bars work inside panels and such, but there's no say that's cheaper/easier/more efficient than running wire is there?

It's really only used in overhead cranes, so that they can move and still be powered. I really don't even understand their use here.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

It's really only used in overhead cranes, so that they can move and still be powered. I really don't even understand their use here.

And track lighting, which is basically the same idea as what they're doing there.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Enclosed overhead busway is really common in industrial and commercial settings, pretty much anytime you have a combination of concrete floor, large open space, and three phase loads that might be moved around you'll see gobs of the stuff. Key phrase: enclosed

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

All crap except for the casablanca four seasons (which appears to be some frankenversion since I thought they all came with intellitouch or slumber-quiet).

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
GFCI installation tales continue

Thanks for the extra wiring, guys! Going to have to pigtail on a few more inches just to make this reach the wiring connections on the GFCI.

This switch has perplexed us since we moved in. It didn't seem to do anything, and when I looked at the wiring on it yesterday I got even more confused since it has two hot leads wired to it, with the neutral and ground just pigtailed together in the back of the box. A few hours after I got the GFCI installed, I had a thought and went to look at the dishwasher... it was off. Flipping the switch ON, and the dishwasher light turns on. Apparently it's a common thing down here in Texas :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Laminator posted:

This switch has perplexed us since we moved in. It didn't seem to do anything, and when I looked at the wiring on it yesterday I got even more confused since it has two hot leads wired to it, with the neutral and ground just pigtailed together in the back of the box. A few hours after I got the GFCI installed, I had a thought and went to look at the dishwasher... it was off. Flipping the switch ON, and the dishwasher light turns on. Apparently it's a common thing down here in Texas :confused:
I may not be understanding you here - Two wires that each, when disconnected from the switch test as hot, or simply two non-white, non-green wires? Your mention of the neutral makes me suspect you might be confused as to the nature of a switch - It shouldn't have a neutral hooked up to it. (Apologies if I'm not giving you enough credit, you never know someone's knowledge level).

If both wires are indeed hot, I admit to total confusion as to how the switch works. Also will say I have never seen a neutral tied to a ground, but then again, I've literally never seen a ground wire in use, due to my area's reliance on conduit and metal boxes.