Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
FYI to those who were assisting me earlier:

I think parts of what were said to me are just now finally registering in deeper parts of my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

to be fair, it solves the problem of getting novices to work w/ toy programs w/ minimal knowledge

this is true. shame they turn around and use it in production.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
unfortunately such a decision can have awful effects once you move beyond a toy program

i think a lot of damage has been done in the computer industry based on showing trivial toy examples and people not asking how such an approach might scale in complexity

edit: where complexity here means program complexity

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Subjunctive posted:

you solve that by firing people who are bad, though, not anchoring someone's salary in a bad spot. IMO!

there is a distinction between "too bad to pay any money to at all", "bad, but still better than not having anyone in that slot at all", and "actually very good"

the latter is rare enough even among people who have actual experience; most people you hire with no experience are going to fall into one of the first two buckets. given that, "anchoring" their salary at the lower level seems fine, as long as you recognize when someone has proven themselves to be a B or A player and are willing to adjust their salary to match (otherwise they will just leave as soon as they have enough experience to get other offers)

obviously you'd like to form a team of entirely the latter group but that is basically impossible even if you are a megacorp with a massive talent pool to draw from, let alone some lovely small company

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

FYI to those who were assisting me earlier:

I think parts of what were said to me are just now finally registering in deeper parts of my brain.

it takes time to acquire a framework for even beginning to understand this kind of thing, to be able to ask meaningful questions and understand the answers

keep bashing your head on it and eventually things will begin to make sense. then you will look at your old code and react with disgust, and want to rewrite it all in the way you now understand to be best. this will happen basically every time you go back to some code you wrote more than about two months ago. this will keep happening essentially forever. if it stops happening, you need to find something that you aren't comfortable with and learn to do that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dessert Rose posted:

there is a distinction between "too bad to pay any money to at all", "bad, but still better than not having anyone in that slot at all", and "actually very good"

the latter is rare enough even among people who have actual experience; most people you hire with no experience are going to fall into one of the first two buckets. given that, "anchoring" their salary at the lower level seems fine, as long as you recognize when someone has proven themselves to be a B or A player and are willing to adjust their salary to match (otherwise they will just leave as soon as they have enough experience to get other offers)

obviously you'd like to form a team of entirely the latter group but that is basically impossible even if you are a megacorp with a massive talent pool to draw from, let alone some lovely small company

yeah, you're right, probation -> {fire, salary-adjust} is better, but most managers don't have the autonomy to operate that way.

keep rockin', luigi, and make sure you're learning stuff the next company will pay well for.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
starting to actually find powershell and .net enjoyable, send help

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

starting to actually find powershell and .net enjoyable, send help

dont know poo poo about the former but congratulations on your correct experience of the latter

comedyblissoption posted:

im honestly a little bit baffled how dynamically typed languages are actually getting more popular than statically typed langs

burn everything to the ground

it's because dynamic typing lets me move fast and break stuff.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

dynamic typing lets me feel more productive because it doesn't break until i run the app and sometimes it doesn't break until i ship it to customers! that's definitely better than having to silence this dumb thing that keeps whining about "types" and "mutability"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"what is the borrow checker and why is it keeping me from shipping RCEs?"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I am dealing with css the rest of the week. yippie.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im writing less stylesheets for each of my knockout components. it sounded good in my head but idk

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

im writing less stylesheets for each of my knockout components. it sounded good in my head but idk

you need to not listen to your head, dude

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

less is good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

you need to not listen to your head, dude

its working so far cause it definitely has made the css more manageable. mixins and variables are own zone.

it should make media queries easier too.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

much like your posting?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

so I have a discussion question for the thread

as a terrible programmer, what are some hot tips on how to get your head around a sprawling lovely poorly documented code base?

as background, I own a monstrosity of a asp.net mvc application and an associated windows service that is responsible for marshaling integration tests and a whole bunch of other poo poo. it was initially built three or four years ago by some interns and no one who's currently with the company was instrumental in making it (and the people who were there for it weren't involved in making it so there's not a lot of institutional knowledge).

I've been trying to burn through the backlog of tickets and also fix + add new stuff where possible, but it's a loving mess. data stuff is split between EF or nhibernate seemingly at random, there's almost no comments (useful or otherwise), there appear to be multiple execution paths to the same outcome depending on what part of the UI you start a task from with no rhyme or reason, and it seems that there's dead code everywhere.

other than "attach debugger, set break points, spend a few days stepping through everything" what are some ways to attack the problem?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

setting breakpoints helps. so does reading through commit history. look for medium-sized commits and read through them to figure out why each major piece needed to be changed, even if you don't understand the piece (or change) in detail

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Subjunctive posted:

setting breakpoints helps. so does reading through commit history. look for medium-sized commits and read through them to figure out why each major piece needed to be changed, even if you don't understand the piece (or change) in detail

yeah, the commit history and the robust test suite should see you through fine

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i'd rewrite it

but there is some recommended book that i can't remember the name of: something like "working with legacy codebases" or some poo poo?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Working-Effectively-Legacy-Michael-Feathers/dp/0131177052

this is the book, good luck

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you don't care about the commit messages, they're going to be useless. you care about which pieces need to be changed at the same time, because that's what tells you the constraints and interactions of the system.

if there isn't version control then bribe someone in ops to lose a backup tranche and start a fire

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

half the people on my team don't even type in commit messages

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

those aren't people, they're meat in clothes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

uncurable mlady posted:

so I have a discussion question for the thread

as a terrible programmer, what are some hot tips on how to get your head around a sprawling lovely poorly documented code base?

as background, I own a monstrosity of a asp.net mvc application and an associated windows service that is responsible for marshaling integration tests and a whole bunch of other poo poo. it was initially built three or four years ago by some interns and no one who's currently with the company was instrumental in making it (and the people who were there for it weren't involved in making it so there's not a lot of institutional knowledge).

I've been trying to burn through the backlog of tickets and also fix + add new stuff where possible, but it's a loving mess. data stuff is split between EF or nhibernate seemingly at random, there's almost no comments (useful or otherwise), there appear to be multiple execution paths to the same outcome depending on what part of the UI you start a task from with no rhyme or reason, and it seems that there's dead code everywhere.

other than "attach debugger, set break points, spend a few days stepping through everything" what are some ways to attack the problem?

look at the database + schema. it's where all the important stuff is

but i dont envy you. in a related note, my last company had a rails app with over 1000 models. like literally 1000 tables for a single web application. i checked out the code of the new thing i'll working on here and it's like 20 models. such a good decision.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

this place is notorious for lowballing in general but my lowball is in line with the other lowballs according to glassdoor. [e: for Reasons] I also live in my parents' basement and save thousands every month.

glassdoor skews crazy low because only complainers provide the data

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

you solve that by firing people who are bad, though, not anchoring someone's salary in a bad spot. IMO!

why is it that tech employers invert the ancient adage, "a clam in the hand is worth two in the sea"

significant raises are impossible to secure, but being willing to negotiate competitive wages for new hires is an industry norm

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why is it that tech employers invert the ancient adage, "a clam in the hand is worth two in the sea"

significant raises are impossible to secure, but being willing to negotiate competitive wages for new hires is an industry norm

yeah it's pretty weird

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

look at the database + schema. it's where all the important stuff is

but i dont envy you. in a related note, my last company had a rails app with over 1000 models. like literally 1000 tables for a single web application. i checked out the code of the new thing i'll working on here and it's like 20 models. such a good decision.

the db and schema are mostly dumpster fires and need to be normalized

re: rewrite

that's probably ideal, and it's something that theoretically could be done if (and this is the biggest if) I could determine what parts of the application are important.

I guess I could try static code analysis and try and see what's actually getting called. alternately I could just rewrite it and patch in functionality later as people scream but I feel like that's why it's in the situation it's in

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

because the disruption cost to the employee of changing jobs is high, so it's effectively a discount against a different job.

also, most employers play a really really short term game. most of the stuff FB does as an employer should really be table stakes, but, because so many companies are so bad at everything related to recruiting and retention, we have our pick of talent because we aren't malicious idiots

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

uncurable mlady posted:

that's probably ideal, and it's something that theoretically could be done if (and this is the biggest if) I could determine what parts of the application are important.

I guess I could try static code analysis and try and see what's actually getting called. alternately I could just rewrite it and patch in functionality later as people scream but I feel like that's why it's in the situation it's in

like i'm surprised you're really in a position to make the call

imo if no one is telling you how to deal with it, just rewrite it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uncurable mlady posted:

you could try writing tests for it, if the code isn't totally test-hostile. if nothing else you'll have a backstop when you rewrite

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Subjunctive posted:

because the disruption cost to the employee of changing jobs is high, so it's effectively a discount against a different job.

also, most employers play a really really short term game. most of the stuff FB does as an employer should really be table stakes, but, because so many companies are so bad at everything related to recruiting and retention, we have our pick of talent because we aren't malicious idiots

i have a really hard time with the idea that facebook is like, not awful to work for

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have a really hard time with the idea that facebook is like, not awful to work for

come visit

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

like i'm surprised you're really in a position to make the call

imo if no one is telling you how to deal with it, just rewrite it

my job title, my bosses conception of my job title, my coworkers conception of my job title, and what my job actually consists of bear little relation to each other

this is probably why I am the fourth person in a year to have this job title; everyone else breaks within 3-6 months and bails to a more functional part of the company or gets a new job

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uncurable mlady posted:

my job title, my bosses conception of my job title, my coworkers conception of my job title, and what my job actually consists of bear little relation to each other

this is probably why I am the fourth person in a year to have this job title; everyone else breaks within 3-6 months and bails to a more functional part of the company or gets a new job

are you the ceo?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

megacorps are kind of a tossup between super pleasant to work for or utter trash (microsoft vs amazon)

startups are universally terrible tho

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my contract is up in 6 months so maybe then!!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

my contract is up in 6 months so maybe then!!

if your contract is up in 6 months you should be looking now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

are you the ceo?

no, he's much more attractive than I am

• Locked thread