Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Assholes shitposting, stop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gosh darn sick of the Left Agenda! Oh I'm sorry I mean the Left AGENDER :bahgawd: :rant: :tinfoil: :911: #notmysciencefiction

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

If there's anything I can take from this, it's that John C. Wright is still a giant pile of crazy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow, I didn't know JCW's daughter was born in Chinese.

Also, his post is pretty much "you know who else would have been social justice warriors? :godwin:"

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
From what she said it seems an apology and retraction should be satisfying. But so many of the comments on the Tor Facebook page are calling for Irene's head,i t just drowns out any sympathy I could have for them.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

my bony fealty posted:

It looks like they are making some minor changes that may be for the better!

Whoops I didn't pay enough attention this first time I watched the trailer and it actually looks very similar to how it goes down in the books although it seems like the Hermes might find out earlier in the film than the book?

Pretty hyped for this, glad to see Jeff Daniels (maybe he can make the NASA parts suck less).

Maybe. I think the trailer was just very out of sequence. Like where they placed the hydrazine explosion to match all the other exciting stuff.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Finished the Goblin Emperor. It was good book that would have been better if the author had come up with a less irritating set of titles and names.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sorry to interrupt movie chat but I have been wondering something recently.. What is there for YA sci Fi, or is it even a thing? Lately there's been a lot of stuff like hunger games and maze runner but they really aren't sci fi.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Chaos Walking? Mortal Engines?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

coyo7e posted:

Sorry to interrupt movie chat but I have been wondering something recently.. What is there for YA sci Fi, or is it even a thing? Lately there's been a lot of stuff like hunger games and maze runner but they really aren't sci fi.

the hunger games is a futuristic dystopia and sci fi is a big tent, how does it not fit in there exactly? not enough laser swords?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

coyo7e posted:

Almost all Golden Age SF and half of everything Heinlein ever wrote is technically YA. If there's less modern YA SF, it's probably just current publishing trends.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

coyo7e posted:

If you want somewhere to start, The Locus Young Adult Award has been around since 2003. It does cover Fantasy and Science Fiction, though, and probably leans more Fantasy

A full list of nominees with covers can be found here

The winners so far are :

2003 Neil Gaiman - Coraline
2004 Terry Pratchett -The Wee Free Men
2005 Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky
2006 Jane Yolen & Adam Stemple - Pay the Piper: A Rock 'N' Roll Fairy Tale
2007 Terry Pratchett - Wintersmith
2008 China Miéville - Un Lun Dun
2009 Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book
2010 Scott Westerfeld - Leviathan
2011 Paolo Bacigalupi - Ship Breaker
2012 Catherynne M. Valente - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
2013 China Miéville -Railsea
2014 Catherynne M. Valente - The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making it wasn't too bad. I'll have to look up that sequel.

Any recommendations for lighter reads that aren't terrible? Something to intersperse between Seveneves, Echopraxia, and the like. Something like the Powder Mage trilogy, the Matthew Swift series, or the Laundry Files, all of which I enjoyed just fine.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

evilbastard posted:

If you want somewhere to start, The Locus Young Adult Award has been around since 2003. It does cover Fantasy and Science Fiction, though, and probably leans more Fantasy

A full list of nominees with covers can be found here

The winners so far are :

2003 Neil Gaiman - Coraline
2004 Terry Pratchett -The Wee Free Men
2005 Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky
2006 Jane Yolen & Adam Stemple - Pay the Piper: A Rock 'N' Roll Fairy Tale
2007 Terry Pratchett - Wintersmith
2008 China Miéville - Un Lun Dun
2009 Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book
2010 Scott Westerfeld - Leviathan
2011 Paolo Bacigalupi - Ship Breaker
2012 Catherynne M. Valente - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
2013 China Miéville -Railsea
2014 Catherynne M. Valente - The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two

Ship Breaker is YA? :psyduck:
Also, a very good list.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/deep_navigation_ebook

Alastair Reynold's limited-press collection Deep Navigation is now not just a really pricey hardcover: you can get it as an ebook! Not sure on what territories it's available in...

It's a pretty good collection... although not as good as Zima Blue. I wrote a blog post with story-by-story thoughts a while back: https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/story-by-story-thoughts-deep-navigation-by-alastair-reynolds/

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Ship Breaker is YA? :psyduck:

YA isn't largely defined by reading level or subject matter (though those do factor in). I asked my wife who at the time was working in a library what made a book YA and the strongest classifier is the age of the protagonist. If the person's a teen, it's YA.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bear Sleuth posted:

YA isn't largely defined by reading level or subject matter (though those do factor in). I asked my wife who at the time was working in a library what made a book YA and the strongest classifier is the age of the protagonist. If the person's a teen, it's YA.

Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy, a classic young adult series.

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, also a much-loved YA series.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

andrew smash posted:

the hunger games is a futuristic dystopia and sci fi is a big tent, how does it not fit in there exactly? not enough laser swords?
Battle Royale is as much sci Fi as hunger games, which is to say not at all. The technology in HG doesn't really matter to anything. Where is the tom swift style stuff? Adventures with laser guns and robot dogs and spaceships?

I was checking out a new show on Disney, Miles From Tomorrowland, and I realized that there really isn't any sci fi for kids like that that I am aware of, and that isn't older than I am and mostly considered to be YA simply because it is so old it is pretty tame.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A Clockwork Orange, the timeless YA classic of love overcoming brainwashing.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

coyo7e posted:

This Alien Shore by Celia S. Friedman could be considered YA I think.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I guess it's worth saying that society and social systems are technologies, which is why we have great science fiction like 1984, The Giver, and Brave New World.

But genre arguments should really be left to the marketing department.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

I've read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making it wasn't too bad. I'll have to look up that sequel.

Any recommendations for lighter reads that aren't terrible? Something to intersperse between Seveneves, Echopraxia, and the like. Something like the Powder Mage trilogy, the Matthew Swift series, or the Laundry Files, all of which I enjoyed just fine.
P C Hodgell's Kencyrath series? Anything by Gemmell. Travel Light, by Naomi Mitchison. The Mongoliad. Galactic Football League by Scott Sigler.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

General Battuta posted:

I guess it's worth saying that society and social systems are technologies, which is why we have great science fiction like 1984, The Giver, and Brave New World.

But genre arguments should really be left to the marketing department.
Alright let me clarify for everyone. I want YA sci Fi with space ships and poo poo. If the technology is not necessary to the world then it's not really fantas-I mean sci Fi, right? If it is older than 20 I am well aware of it and probably have a copy.

Kids. In. Space.

Allen Steele's Coyote could almost fit if it wasn't so full of politics and the first book was the only one with kid protagonists iirc.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy, a classic young adult series.

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, also a much-loved YA series.

Just passing along on how it was explained to me. Exceptions abound in all classifications. When I went looking for John Dies at the End a few years back it was shelved in Literature instead of Sci-Fi/Fantasy. But on a whole, when books are classified as YA it's for the age of the protagonist. I'm not saying that makes every book with a teen YA, but that YA books will have teen as main character. *cue chorus of exceptions*

Ship Breaker was classified as YA from pre-promotional materials on, just trying to explain why the publisher went that route.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bear Sleuth posted:

I read an essay once by Marion Summer Bradley that used the same definition, but she may not be the best authority to cite.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Alright let me clarify for everyone. I want YA sci Fi with space ships and poo poo. If the technology is not necessary to the world then it's not really fantas-I mean sci Fi, right? If it is older than 20 I am well aware of it and probably have a copy.

Kids. In. Space.

Allen Steele's Coyote could almost fit if it wasn't so full of politics and the first book was the only one with kid protagonists iirc.

Have you ever heard of a little series called Bio of a Space Tyrant? :devil:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

Kids. In. Space.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9069545-up-against-it

This is a really really fun and good book that I think may fit your bill.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Drifter posted:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9069545-up-against-it

This is a really really fun and good book that I think may fit your bill.

That was a great loving book. I wish it had been more successful, IIRC it didn't sell well enough for the writer to do any more books.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

coyo7e posted:

Kids. In. Space.

Chaos Walking is kids on alien planet. And besides, it's the best YA trilogy in ages.

EDIT: OH! I thought of another one that maybe fits the bill better. Feed by M T Anderson.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
So I just finished reading the second Greatcoats book (Knight's Shadow) and it's every bit as good as the first one was. I don't really want to say too much and spoil anything, but it's an incredibly safe bet if you enjoyed the first one at all.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Hedrigall posted:

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/deep_navigation_ebook

Alastair Reynold's limited-press collection Deep Navigation is now not just a really pricey hardcover: you can get it as an ebook! Not sure on what territories it's available in...

It's a pretty good collection... although not as good as Zima Blue. I wrote a blog post with story-by-story thoughts a while back: https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/story-by-story-thoughts-deep-navigation-by-alastair-reynolds/

Yeah, Australia is out.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

In other news, Shrike.

http://io9.com/dan-simmons-fan-bradley-cooper-is-finally-making-his-hy-1710428755

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

An "event" (mini series?) series is the best way to adapt this.

Man...it films itself, each episode is a character telling their story.

Then it all falls apart for season 2.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CaptCommy posted:

So I just finished reading the second Greatcoats book (Knight's Shadow) and it's every bit as good as the first one was. I don't really want to say too much and spoil anything, but it's an incredibly safe bet if you enjoyed the first one at all.

It'd be nice if he eased off on the gratuitous torture sequences, though. It's starting to weird me out ever-so-slightly.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Darth Walrus posted:

It'd be nice if he eased off on the gratuitous torture sequences, though. It's starting to weird me out ever-so-slightly.

Yeah, that's totally fair. While I liked the scene itself, it did feel a little too reminiscent of the end of the first book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
With regards to Stephen Baxter's Xeelee series, remind me... can I start with Vacuum Diagrams? Is it even advisable to do so?

The reason I ask: a new Xeelee short story collection is coming out soon.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Awesome, I loved the Xeelee sequence. In a related note, there's a collection of Baxter's short stories out now in the universe of Flood/Ark. It's... not good. Worth reading if you really liked those two books I guess, but it doesn't really add much and in true Baxter style it's fairly depressing stuff.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

With regards to Stephen Baxter's Xeelee series, remind me... can I start with Vacuum Diagrams? Is it even advisable to do so?

The reason I ask: a new Xeelee short story collection is coming out soon.

Yes, start with Vacuum Diagrams. The Xeelee Omnibus has 4 (I think) novels, several of which have their first chapter or so as a short story in Vacuum Diagrams. Overall I liked Vacuum Diagrams better than the Omnibus.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

CaptCommy posted:

I finished it two nights ago, and it was fantastic. I re-read the first one right before reading the second one, and they go so well together. If the remaining books stay on this level, this will be a series I'll re-read once a year or so when I need a pick-me-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Oh my god, this might be amazing.

Please let it stop after the first two books.