Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Kazvall posted:

Basically the stealth mechanic from dark age.

The stealth mechanic in dark age is horrible. Solo or small group pvp would have been so much better without groups of stealthers everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Perma-invisibility is a horrible game mechanic. It's fun for the special snowflake ninja but lovely for everyone else that has to deal with that bullshit.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Stealth in DAoC is good.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

So I'm thinking of getting into this game. Played it many, many years ago but I don't remember much. I guess I'm going with the official servers as I probably as an EU player have a bigger chance finding people on there. What faction would you guys recommend for someone starting out who likes grouping with others (preferably small scale) and is there any class I should avoid? I read that Guide for New Characters post but everything seemed pretty good so I'm unsure :/

Also, how is the Ywain population? Is it worth getting into this game if you're not filled with nostalgia from the past? This appeals to me more than anything recent in the mmo genre.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Ninogan posted:

So I'm thinking of getting into this game. Played it many, many years ago but I don't remember much. I guess I'm going with the official servers as I probably as an EU player have a bigger chance finding people on there. What faction would you guys recommend for someone starting out who likes grouping with others (preferably small scale) and is there any class I should avoid? I read that Guide for New Characters post but everything seemed pretty good so I'm unsure :/

Also, how is the Ywain population? Is it worth getting into this game if you're not filled with nostalgia from the past? This appeals to me more than anything recent in the mmo genre.

It's so easy to level these days you have nothing to lose. Jump on and try different classes in molvik.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Shux posted:

It's so easy to level these days you have nothing to lose. Jump on and try different classes in molvik.

I'll give it a try! Do we have no goons guild on the official servers then :(?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Ninogan posted:

I'll give it a try! Do we have no goons guild on the official servers then :(?

Nope. There hasn't been a resurgence in awhile. If you're not a veteran of the game, I would suggest sticking with the battlegrounds. The population at 50 isn't very welcoming of people learning the game. Except when keep zerging, then it doesn't matter.

Molvik probably has the most consistent action and grouping. Don't play one of the primary CC classes until you get the hang of things. (Bard, Sorcerer, Pacification Healer). And I would somewhat suggest avoiding a primary healer until you understand class capabilities and mechanics, though its not really necessary.

The game is definitely worth getting in to without nostalgia, it still has the best PvP in the industry.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

I might actually give the Genesis server a try instead since there's goons there. Of the goons playing Midgard is there any particular class you could benefit a bit extra from having? I am up for playing pretty much anything but I'm a newbie so, yeah :L

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I just watched the Camelot Unchained Alpha video and almost peed.

I'm insanely excited about this thing.

If you haven't see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXCAQ9HSne8

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Ninogan posted:

I might actually give the Genesis server a try instead since there's goons there. Of the goons playing Midgard is there any particular class you could benefit a bit extra from having? I am up for playing pretty much anything but I'm a newbie so, yeah :L

Genesis is dead as gently caress. I think I was the last one playing Mid. I haven't logged on in months. I would most definitely suggest dicking around in battlegrounds on live over Genesis. That way you will be prepared for the second coming of our lord and savior, Uthgard.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Molvik on Live was really fun a few months back. Multiple groups of each realm running almost all the time.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

Genesis is dead as gently caress. I think I was the last one playing Mid. I haven't logged on in months. I would most definitely suggest dicking around in battlegrounds on live over Genesis. That way you will be prepared for the second coming of our lord and savior, Uthgard.

Ah, ok thanks for letting me know. I'll do that then :) Why was Uthgard so popular anyways? Will it even really come back?

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Ninogan posted:

Ah, ok thanks for letting me know. I'll do that then :) Why was Uthgard so popular anyways? Will it even really come back?

The biggest draw Uthgard had for me, at least, was that it was reliable. It had been up for years and had a dedicated staff/player base

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Give me stealth or give me death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Ninogan posted:

It will. Just when is the question. Uthgard was popular, like Rannison said, it was extremely stable and had/has a very dedicated staff. Though it is a "free time" project for them. Thus the slow re-development.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

It will. Just when is the question. Uthgard was popular, like Rannison said, it was extremely stable and had/has a very dedicated staff. Though it is a "free time" project for them. Thus the slow re-development.

Ah, I see. I am kind of excited to get into that now as well. Do we know anything? Like is it 1+ year until they re-release or are they expecting it to be in a few months or something?

Also does anyone know of a good custom ui to use for the game?

Ninogan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 8, 2015

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Ninogan posted:

Ah, I see. I am kind of excited to get into that now as well. Do we know anything? Like is it 1+ year until they re-release or are they expecting it to be in a few months or something?

I think I used Bobs? Or ghost or something. There's not much of a selection.

Trishin (their community-centric GM) said it was anything from a couple of months to a couple of years. Depends on how much time they have to invest. They've already made a couple of compromises to shorten the development cycle. Like poo poo-canning SI lands until after release. I'm still hoping for a summer/fall release.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ninogan posted:

Use Bob's ui. Also, what realm did you plan on playing on live? I can roll a character and play with you, I'm usually on after 730 central time

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How populated are the official servers these days? Getting the itch again, and not quite sure I really care if it's imbalanced.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Depends on what you want to do.

50 RvR - Alb zerg is around 100+ every night, mid zerg flucuates between 30-60, depending on how often the alb zerg wipes them. I rarely see hibs and the few times I've tried to play hib in US prime time I've never gotten a response asking for a group at all. No battlegroups are ever set up for hib.

Molvik is active for all 3 realms. Cathal is active for all 3 realms here and there.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
Once we finish moving into our new place, there will be The Return of The Waffleses. Or something like that. (Roll Hib on live!)

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

ButtaKnife posted:

Once we finish moving into our new place, there will be The Return of The Waffleses. Or something like that. (Roll Hib on live!)

I'm in!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'll pick adenosine back up happily if the waffleses are back

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

ButtaKnife posted:

I actually reactivated again last night and was gonna level some new Hibs!

Got a templated bm/animist/enchanter/champion/bard if we wanna get some rvr rollin

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
If my account is eligible for the free 14 days or whatever, I might hop in. Would just have to transfer plat which won't be too hard.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

*plays back in black over boombox*

How is the move going Wafflesess?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

If my account is eligible for the free 14 days or whatever, I might hop in. Would just have to transfer plat which won't be too hard.

Looks like it is. Let me know when you guys get started and I'll hop on and gently caress around.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

When is the return of the waffles supposed to be happening? I might mess around and make a warden in the mean time or something, if anyone wants to do bg leveling stuff. I'll be online in like 20 mins after the baby goes to sleep

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Why won't they just take paypal? I can add my paypal info to my account but it only takes credit/debit for the 7 days free sub activation?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Kaz you're the person to ask this since you played a battle warden.

I'm going to level one through the BGs, probably mostly solo unless someone from here joins me, or just random groups or whatever, how should I spec? Also, firby I'm assuming?

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Combo posted:

I'm going to level one through the BGs, probably mostly solo unless someone from here joins me, or just random groups or whatever, how should I spec? Also, firby I'm assuming?

I did a celt warden through the bgs [intending to heal at 50 so celt], did shield/nurture fairly evenly with 6 in blades [taunt anytime style], respecced to healing at 35 or so so I could heal Molvik

Weapon styles are nice and all but I prefered the damage add/bubble and just kinda being able to walk away with bubble/shield spec

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well this is just a knock around character that I don't really plan on taking to 50 in any hurry, if I'm going to play a hib in rvr its going to be my eld. I was just looking for something to screw around with and wardens are fun as hell.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm jus loving around taking video on my bard. if someone wants to level poo poo hmu im in cult on hib.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Combo posted:

Firby if you want to be a giant target and also heal. I love them, hah. Celt for more low profile. You can't really gently caress up a Warden. Just pump up your PBT line and decide if you want higher weapon or healing spec. If you're running solo just spec for whatever superior styles are available to you for whatever BG. Oh yeah, and shields, too.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I picked up a level 29 eld I had sitting around and just went and farted around the 25-29 bg for about 20 mins. I forgot how much of a wrecking ball this class is it at low levels. I walked up to a group of 4 albs, mezzed them, and then individually destroyed them 1 by 1 in about 30 seconds.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Why won't they just take paypal? I can add my paypal info to my account but it only takes credit/debit for the 7 days free sub activation?

You can buy timecards through the origin store with paypal.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Combo posted:

When is the return of the waffles supposed to be happening? I might mess around and make a warden in the mean time or something, if anyone wants to do bg leveling stuff. I'll be online in like 20 mins after the baby goes to sleep
Hopefully after this weekend the bulk of our move will be done so we'll just have little bits here and there to deal with. I'll post once we've reactivated, but it should be soonish.

Kazvall posted:

Firby if you want to be a giant target and also heal. I love them, hah. Celt for more low profile. You can't really gently caress up a Warden. Just pump up your PBT line and decide if you want higher weapon or healing spec. If you're running solo just spec for whatever superior styles are available to you for whatever BG. Oh yeah, and shields, too.
Go celt for a healing-focused warden to get the better dex for faster casting speeds.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ah does the extra empathy not help healing that much? More like, power pool?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Doesn't empathy reduce the variance on your heal amounts, or reduce the amount of mana spent per heal? Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Apparently my friend "borrowed" my blademaster's Astral Mephit Fangs.

And then let his account go inactive.

Bastards.

• Locked thread