Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

flosofl posted:

As another poster said, those are solid wood 4 x 4 beams.

They basically jack it up using synchronized hydraulic jacks (at least when done raising houses off the foundation) a layer at a time. They'll move it up around a foot, put in another layer of wood, lower it down, reset the jacks and repeat. It probably took them all day to get from the ground to that loading door.

The "loading door" is in fact just a huge rear end hole that they cut in the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Cichlidae posted:

It's pure concrete with no rebar. It would've shattered with the first freeze/thaw cycle anyway. No waterproofing, no attachment points... it was pretty much destined to become rubble at a moment's notice.

You have to install it properly and use it in the right situations, but unreinforced concrete pipe is a common and standardized product.

(I mean, that didn't look like a standard precast pipe, but there are all sorts of things that could legitimately be used for. Anything that generally stays in compression and is competently installed really)

T.C. fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 7, 2015

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Even if they were palletes, wood had ridiculous compressive strength.

Though slightly less in that direction, to be fair.

(a chunk of 12"x16" wooden beam loaded to failure in an engineering class I took long ago. Squish!)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Though slightly less in that direction, to be fair.

(a chunk of 12"x16" wooden beam loaded to failure in an engineering class I took long ago. Squish!)

Out of curiosity, how big of a load did that take?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mikl posted:

Are we not even doing Phrasing anymore?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Well it's definitely secure, i mean that wheel is unlikely to come off.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Maybe there are strong winds, and he just needed it secured while parked.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

Are we not even doing Phrasing anymore?

Whatever, that’s fine, but if we’re doing something new and no one told me, THAT I’d have a problem with!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Mikl posted:

It's been so long, I couldn't even tell you the order of magnitude. I just remember it was less than this one:

(For completeness here is is failing in the direction you'd expect it to fail, though this isn't particularly spectacular)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Helios Grime posted:

I think this falls under OSHA.jpg, somebody also post it into the schadenfreude thread cause it also belongs there.

http://i.imgur.com/gNdgncU.webm

http://i.imgur.com/IZpiAQr.webm

Dude isn't even wearing a hardhat.

Is it wrong that I want to give that dude a chainsaw?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
That's boring, he'll just use it like a regular saw.

Now give him one of these

and see him work up a sweat trying to compress the ground.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wow, you don't often see an "Isadora Duncan" tie-down in real life.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I like your username pigfeet

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

drat, obscure reference is obscure, but well done, Dennis Miller ;)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Impressive.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Dang. :golfclap:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I don't get it.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't get it.

I had to look it up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isadora_Duncan#Death

quote:

On the night of September 14, 1927 in Nice, France, Duncan was a passenger in an Amilcar automobile owned by Benoît Falchetto, a French-Italian mechanic. She wore a long, flowing, hand-painted silk scarf, created by the Russian-born artist Roman Chatov, a gift from her friend Mary Desti, the mother of American film director Preston Sturges. Desti, who saw Duncan off, had asked Duncan to wear a cape in the open-air vehicle because of the cold weather, but Duncan would only agree to wear the scarf. As they departed, Duncan reportedly said to Desti and some companions, "Adieu, mes amis. Je vais à la gloire!" ("Farewell, my friends. I go to glory!"); but according to American novelist Glenway Wescott, Desti later told him that Duncan's actual last words were, "Je vais à l'amour" ("I am off to love"). Desti considered this embarrassing, as it suggested that she and Falchetto were going to her hotel for a tryst.

Her silk scarf, draped around her neck, became entangled around the open-spoked wheels and rear axle, hurling her from the open car and breaking her neck. Desti said she called out to warn Duncan about the shawl almost immediately after the car left. Desti brought Duncan to the hospital, where she was declared dead.

Probably one of the nastier ways to go.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Helios Grime posted:

That's boring, he'll just use it like a regular saw.

Now give him one of these

and see him work up a sweat trying to compress the ground.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I wonder if the first response to that from the club/performance owner was to put the girl on a scale and then blame her for going over the (unlisted except in their private files) rated weight.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
http://www.reddit.com/r/OSHA/comments/39173q/standing_on_back_side_of_aluminum_ladder_with/

I believe this is a Bitcoin mining facility in china. Overhead power appears to be - 240/400V on bare, exposed busbars. Some places have exposed busbars, especially things like cranes in high-bays, but this is for some significant power distribution - I'm not sure if this sort of thing would be allowed in the states.

China color code:
A - Yellow
B - Green (WTF?!)
C - Red
Neutral - Blue
Ground - Green/Yellow

Someone in the OSHA Reddit this was from said those bars were rated to carry around 3200A (seems high to me). So you might have a tremendous amount of fault energy available there should something go wrong at the bus or at one of the connections tapping off from the bus, unless each tap has something like a fuse that can handle big fault currents.

There was another photo that showed two sets of two meters reading 240V, 3200A. Only 2.2 megawatts. (400*3200*1.73)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 9, 2015

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Don't forget about the guy who calculates that they're producing something like 32 tons of CO2 per bitcoin mined. :psyduck:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Three-Phase posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/OSHA/comments/39173q/standing_on_back_side_of_aluminum_ladder_with/

I believe this is a Bitcoin mining facility in china. Overhead power appears to be - 240/400V on bare, exposed busbars. Some places have exposed busbars, especially things like cranes in high-bays, but this is for some significant power distribution - I'm not sure if this sort of thing would be allowed in the states.

China color code:
A - Yellow
B - Green (WTF?!)
C - Red
Neutral - Blue
Ground - Green/Yellow

Someone in the OSHA Reddit this was from said those bars were rated to carry around 3200A (seems high to me). So you might have a tremendous amount of fault energy available there should something go wrong at the bus or at one of the connections tapping off from the bus, unless each tap has something like a fuse that can handle big fault currents.

There was another photo that showed two sets of two meters reading 240V, 3200A. Only 2.2 megawatts. (400*3200*1.73)

I'd never heard of busbars before this, but why would you ever want exposed electrical current - like ever?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

Don't forget about the guy who calculates that they're producing something like 32 tons of CO2 per bitcoin mined. :psyduck:

The energy footprint of mining bitcoins is currently around the entirety of Irelands's yearly energy consumption.

https://karlodwyer.github.io/publications/pdf/bitcoin_KJOD_2014.pdf

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Dollop made a 40+ minute long podcast about Action Park.
http://thedollop.libsyn.com/87-action-park

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

China color code:
A - Yellow
B - Green (WTF?!)
C - Red
Neutral - Blue
Ground - Green/Yellow

I am glad this was posted because after seeing it in the bitcoin thread I assumed there would be OSHA stuff because a) china and b) bitcoin but didn't know enough to say what.

Darth123123 posted:

I'd never heard of busbars before this, but why would you ever want exposed electrical current - like ever?
Air is an insulator and lots of overhead lines are exposed but typically you can't just reach up and touch those either. I have seen other bitcoin operations with similar setups but at least in those the exposed bars were in a separate room and said if you touch those you will die.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uthor posted:

Got something to listen to when I do night shift at work! I never got to attend Action Park in its heyday because I was 4 when it closed and I live in Florida (though my dad was from NJ), but I'm absolutely fascinated by it and I've read just about everything I can about it. I was pretty disappointed when planning for my vacation that I had two weeks ago and found that Action Park wouldn't reopen until June.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

3x watermark combo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Uthor posted:

Action Park was great. I remember watching the Tarzan Swing when I was a little kid. This is what is looks like:

Around the swing and throughout the line there are huge signs saying "DANGER DANGER DO NOT GO ON THE TARZAN SWING UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERT SWIMMER THE WATER IS VERY COLD AND YOU WILL DIE" like every 10 feet. Then I saw this one lady grab hold, jump off, and sink like a stone. I also fell off when I was a fat kid doing it for the first time as well. Then I came back as a less fat goon and did it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I can save it, I can save it, I shouldn't have tried to save it.

Im glad I work with docks and not those tommy gates.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but I bet it will lead to more fodder for this thread.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/06/11/413406156/a-suit-that-turns-a-person-into-a-robot-sort-of

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

That bitcoin mine did add some safety measures.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

CampingCarl posted:

That bitcoin mine did add some safety measures.

One of the things here - if you were using a real piece of switchgear instead of this cobbled-together (but arguably clean) approach of having the breakers and busbars on a metal frame, you'd probably have better bracing of the busbars themselves.

When you buy a piece of switchgear, it usually has a maximum fault current rating. Like 100,000 amps. What that means is when you have a short circuit somewhere, as long as (for a short duration) you have under 100,000 amps flowing into the fault, the gear will physically keep itself together. The stresses there aren't from heat - it's from the massive magnetic fields that can be generated during the fault - fields that can tear apart equipment, warp busbars, etceteras. The busses and cables have to be secured to handle the forces from these faults.

Purpose-built, properly engineered equipment, is designed to withstand the magnetic forces during a fault. They are specified based in part off the power supply - how much power in can send into a "bolted fault" (like a metal rod falling between two phases - a fault with very low impedance and extremely high current flow.)

Equipment that is just thrown together may not be able to handle a fault should it occur. However, it is arguably orders of magnitude cheaper in a place where human life is far, far cheaper.

(Circuit breakers themselves are similar - they have a maximum interruption rating, say 10,000 amps for a tiny 20A breaker. If the source can pump out more than the interruption rating of the breaker in a fault, the breaker may fail catastrophically when trying to interrupt the fault.)

TL;DR VERSION: Just watch this. Like that, but with the metal busbars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dckmSgp1nw

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 11, 2015

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

it's from the massive magnetic fields that can be generated during the faul

could it be strong enough to pull all of the mining boxes off the shelf?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Every time I see this I'm always amazed at how quickly that driver manages to move his rear end out of the tow truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

could it be strong enough to pull all of the mining boxes off the shelf?

I doubt it. :shrug:

• Locked thread