Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want a good modern Final Fantasy, go get The Last Story on the Wii*. It's made by the original creator of Final Fantasy.

*Or wair for it to turn up on the WiiU eShop.

I have heard of it, in fact I've been watching the Let's Play on the forums. I do hope to play it one way or another, simply because the combat looks nice and the characters seem to be people I'd hang out with. That and I can basically make everyone look like JoJo characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You will never be the fashion god that is Pork Lift though

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Rodyle posted:

Spoony is a sad motherfucker but that Thieves World story is still pretty amazing.

Thanks for reminding me this exists, I just blew a couple hours listening to it again. What an awesome story.

Spoony has turned into a gigantic moron who has lost all perspective on pretty much everything, but his archive rocks. Probably upwards of a hundred hours of amazing content. Phantasmagoria, SWAT 4, Ripper, FMV games, Ultima retrospective, most of Counter Monkey, FF VIII, Terror T.R.A.X., Yor...

Looked at overall, only Red Letter Media and Brad really compare in terms of sheer quantity of great stuff, although there are some people who will certainly catch up at this rate (like Kyle).

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rodyle posted:

You will never be the fashion god that is Pork Lift though

Stop reminding me :saddowns:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Annointed posted:

I have heard of it, in fact I've been watching the Let's Play on the forums. I do hope to play it one way or another, simply because the combat looks nice and the characters seem to be people I'd hang out with. That and I can basically make everyone look like JoJo characters.

The story wasn't that great, ironically for a game called "The Last Story", but it is 100% the main cast that lifts it into something grand. My only real gripe is that it feels like only half the game it should be, in terms of over all length. Like it was Mistwalker was planning something much more expansive but had to pare back because the Wii just couldn't handle it and because they were making essentially an end-of-system game for it, so they probably didn't have the time to do what they wanted either.

Oh, and New Game+ is literally impossible because you're capped at Lv. 100, while bosses are scaled up to like Lv. 160 near the end of the game. That's a real nadd kicker. But beyond that, holy poo poo, play The Last Story, please.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man I'm going to feel really bummed out when every reviewer I like rips Jurassic World a new one :smith:

Its getting :mediocre: lukewarm reviews

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Oh my god when did someone buy that new smiley, that's amazing.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's going to be an average film that fails to capture the original's feel, and the trailer summarizes all the limited good parts, isn't it? I hope I'm wrong, I want it to be a solid movie. Yes I am going to get the Last Story, once I have the means to do so. I also hope for the sequel, the Conclusive Story and the spinoff the Terminal Tale.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 11, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tracula posted:

Oh my god when did someone buy that new smiley, that's amazing.
There is even a better one that is :perfect:

Annointed posted:

It's going to be an average film that fails to capture the original's feel, and the trailer summarizes all the limited good parts, isn't it? I hope I'm wrong, I want it to be a solid movie.
Well this Dan from Chez Apocalypse's one tweet review
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/608825190231834624
Basically from what I've heard the last 20 minutes are going to either make you love everything or hate it since its so goddamn stupid

I've waited 12 years for this movie and drat it I'm going to enjoy it because at least the plot isn't as dumb as the dinosaur human hybrid mercs they had in that script on 2006

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Basically from what I've heard the last 20 minutes are going to either make you love everything or hate it since its so goddamn stupid

I've waited 12 years for this movie and drat it I'm going to enjoy it because at least the plot isn't as dumb as the dinosaur human hybrid mercs they had in that script on 2006

I thought you said mecs. Great now I can't stop thinking Jurassic world is going to have a giant robot finale with the gene modded dino becoming huge.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sort of looking forward to the trainwreck that is the new Terminator movie, if only to hear what people have to say about that one.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm sort of looking forward to the trainwreck that is the new Terminator movie, if only to hear what people have to say about that one.

I expect at least five Revengeance memes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Best Final Fantasy game is V. Come join the Fiesta.

(Actually, has any internet reviewer talked about/played the FFV Fiesta? Seems like an interesting subject)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

achillesforever6 posted:

Man anything to break up the unending train of Marvel/Disney's safe adequacy.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Asuron posted:

Would that even be possible for him now? Who would hire a guy who's spent years basically making nothing but blogs about wrestling and has no experience in anything else, other than a degree in economics that wouldn't be much help now since he's been so long out of work that would require it. His work ethic is just so bad and he gets sick so often I doubt he could find even menial jobs.

Even before his meltdown, the guys content was getting slower and worse and I'm honestly surprised he still has people watching, because I dropped his stuff years ago when his content basically stopped. The fact that he even had people left who were willing to pay $5000 in the first place just boggles my mind.

The fact that his patreon has not lowered faster boggles my mind. There seems to be a set of enablers that will not let him hit rock bottom.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man anything to break up the unending train of Marvel/Disney's safe adequacy.

That was what Fury Road did.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

The fact that his patreon has not lowered faster boggles my mind. There seems to be a set of enablers that will not let him hit rock bottom.

One of the (many) downsides of crowdfunding is that it allows certain people to make a living almost entirely off of self-aggrandizement.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not to keep on the #spoonywatch stuff but has he delivered on any of the incentives he promised on Patreon yet?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PassTheRemote posted:

That was what Fury Road did.

Well, I think we can all assume it won't be as good as Fury Road

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

It was kind of funny how Dan tweeted me on how it stacks up to the sequels and he said it was better than TLW, but worse than JP3 and I was like :psyduck: because TLW is a much better movie than JP3 on every level.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think this warrants an explanation on why you think TLW is a better movie.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

achillesforever6 posted:

It was kind of funny how Dan tweeted me on how it stacks up to the sequels and he said it was better than TLW, but worse than JP3 and I was like :psyduck: because TLW is a much better movie than JP3 on every level.

Yeah that tweet threw my algorithm off too. I mean, I wouldn't say it's much much better, because they're both quite bad films, but 3 is the greater of two evils by a significant margin. Ah well, I'll find out tomorrow! Eager to see it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Ian Malcolm and Roland Tembo.

Doug Walker also thinks that JP3 is better than Lost World. For all the second movie's faults (and there are a lot of them), it at least has a few moments of Spielberg suspense that work quite well.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

TLW is a much better movie than JP3 on every level.

This, forever. I can't fathom why people think that the third movie was less bad than TLW. At least that movie had a T-Rex rampaging through San Diego!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Jeff Goldblum, Pete Postlethwait, better effects work, the entire San Diego portion, and that drat scene in the field. It's short, but holy crap is it suspenseful and effective.

Compare that to: a suburbian preteen surviving amongst dinosaurs for 8 weeks based entirely on a single book, an awkward divorce subplot that involves William H. Macy (who is a good actor, but does not belong in a Jurassic Park movie), the part where the spinosaurus can somehow break through a huge fence designed to house dinosaurs but can't handle a rickety metal shack with the doors barred...there's more that either time or repression has eroded from my memory. The only stuff I liked was Alan Grant, the scene in the rain on the boat, and the pterosaur walkway scene.

E: Still not quite used to putting multiple things in one post.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

TheMaestroso posted:

Jeff Goldblum, Pete Postlethwait, better effects work, the entire San Diego portion, and that drat scene in the field. It's short, but holy crap is it suspenseful and effective.

Compare that to: a suburbian preteen surviving amongst dinosaurs for 8 weeks based entirely on a single book, an awkward divorce subplot that involves William H. Macy (who is a good actor, but does not belong in a Jurassic Park movie), the part where the spinosaurus can somehow break through a huge fence designed to house dinosaurs but can't handle a rickety metal shack with the doors barred...there's more that either time or repression has eroded from my memory. The only stuff I liked was Alan Grant, the scene in the rain on the boat, and the pterosaur walkway scene.

The negotiating with raptors for their eggs bit which was equally embarrassing and moronic for the egg-thief, Grant, and the raptors. And the cellphone in the Spinosaurus' stomach ringing to warn them of its scary approach.

A bad film.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jay O posted:

Yeah that tweet threw my algorithm off too. I mean, I wouldn't say it's much much better, because they're both quite bad films, but 3 is the greater of two evils by a significant margin. Ah well, I'll find out tomorrow! Eager to see it.
TLW at least has some great set pieces (the hunters collecting dinosaurs in the canyon, the trailer hanging on the cliff, the T-Rex rampage leading to "DON'T RUN INTO THE LONG GRASS", the raptor scene sans the annoying gymnastics thing, and I'll defend the San Diego finale to death because if you know what was going to be the original ending [they escape the island with hanggliders THE END] then you can see why Steven went "You know I always wanted to do King Kong") the score is on par with JP1, and I like Jeff Goldblum and Peter Posethwaife (RIP) performances.

I also like how there is some commentary on how awful Animal Rights groups are with the Vince Vaughn character who I wish got killed by the raptors.

Mraagvpeine posted:

This scene is better than anything in JP3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2YCQnF_HQ
I love how it subverts the type of character you see in Spielberg films (Quint and Muldoon) by having be this Ahab character who not only isn't killed by his Great White Whale, but actually succeeds at his mission if only at the loss of his best friend. Fun fact: the characters name Roland Tembo is based off the character from the Warren Zevon song "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner"

Also JP3 had the iconic T-Rex killed just to show you how mean and badass this new Spinosaurus was and gently caress you that was my childhood favorite that you killed!!! :argh: I feel happy that it turns out that Spinosaurus has turned out to be a quadrupedal aquatic dinosaur that ate fish.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope Jurassic World does good and they make an updated Operation Genesis game because of it. 120 bucks for a restored disc what is this poo poo

PassTheRemote posted:

The fact that his patreon has not lowered faster boggles my mind.

This, the first month of him not delivering would've had me immediately withdraw my support. You know, if I donated in the first place and wasn't sick of his lovely attitude.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ian Malcolm and Roland Tembo.

I'd also like to add Julianne Moore to that list. Not the character she played in The Lost World, mind you, just Julianne Moore in and of herself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

achillesforever6 posted:

TLW at least has some great set pieces (the hunters collecting dinosaurs in the canyon, the trailer hanging on the cliff, the T-Rex rampage leading to "DON'T RUN INTO THE LONG GRASS", the raptor scene sans the annoying gymnastics thing, and I'll defend the San Diego finale to death because if you know what was going to be the original ending [they escape the island with hanggliders THE END] then you can see why Steven went "You know I always wanted to do King Kong") the score is on par with JP1, and I like Jeff Goldblum and Peter Posethwaife (RIP) performances.

I also like how there is some commentary on how awful Animal Rights groups are with the Vince Vaughn character who I wish got killed by the raptors.

This scene is better than anything in JP3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2YCQnF_HQ
I love how it subverts the type of character you see in Spielberg films (Quint and Muldoon) by having be this Ahab character who not only isn't killed by his Great White Whale, but actually succeeds at his mission if only at the loss of his best friend. Fun fact: the characters name Roland Tembo is based off the character from the Warren Zevon song "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner"

Also JP3 had the iconic T-Rex killed just to show you how mean and badass this new Spinosaurus was and gently caress you that was my childhood favorite that you killed!!! :argh: I feel happy that it turns out that Spinosaurus has turned out to be a quadrupedal aquatic dinosaur that ate fish.

Counterpoint, the gymnastic dino-fight was way too long and just as stupid as all of JP3 without any irony involved.

Like, I got the feeling in 3 they knew they were making a stupid movie. They just took some bits from the original that got scrapped and said 'yea let's just do some dumb dinosaur poo poo', like the spino having the 'paint and tile warehouse' ringtone like the fuckin Peter Pan gator. For gently caress's sake there's a scene right at front where Grant has such weirdo dino PTSD that he dreams about a raptor spooking him on a plane. That was legitimately one of the funniest moments in movies. Just a raptor sitting in a seat spookin an old man.

LW just had all the stupid but it felt like it was trying to be 'real'. Like it was a big 'yea man let's make Jurassic Park DARKER and more SERIOUS when like, half the fun of the original was even during legitimately scary poo poo there was this kinda whimsy in it that turned dark. LW is just a lovely King Kong aping (get it, because ape), ESPECIALLY the San Diego finale. If Steven always wanted to do King Kong he should have done King Kong, I'd pay good money to see Steven Spielberg Presents King Kong, that sounds fun as poo poo, don't try to sell me a lovely King Kong 'tribute' on the JP goodwill, though.

There's just so much callbacks to the original too. How many times is there a 'must go faster' callback? Two? Three? The raptors that exist as lovely CGI instead of amazing puppets only because they knew at the time we all remembered that the kitchen scene with the raptors was loving terrifying and they wanted to cash that in too. Oh you like the T-Rex (who loving didn't), well how do you like a T-Rex baby that looks like bad Yoshi fanart?

Also at least 3 had consistent characters. They were dumb and silly, but they were consistent. In LW we get a lovely rehash of the chaos theory scene with the 'observing a situation changes it' principal instead...and then the guy spouting that off decides to super change the situation by running in and grabbing the injured baby and playing medic. Like, the natural thing to do there is to say 'bummer, hope he gets better' and letting its parents help it. The 'animal rights' guy (oh cool this lovely ALF strawman,) basically ensures everyone dies...to show how dangerous the dinos are? Like what was his endgame? He fucks up the pens and lets the dinos go and then people go 'yea those things killed a bunch of people, that's hosed up we should probably nuke the island or something'? Who was he working for? Was he working for the dinosaurs? It felt like he was working for the dinosaurs or something. Was he just pulling a Kent Brockman and welcoming our new dinosaur overlords?

And then you get into even more spergy nonsense like 'if that Hammond douchebag was trying to discredit Malcolm why was there a huge Jurassic Park thing being built in the city including a giant sign? Like, could no one he said 'what, no, crazy ol Ian Malcolm is just being crazy' to go 'ok cool but why are you, personally you, building a giant park called Jurassic Park San Diego (and also I think one in like, France?)'?

I-I have feelings about dinosaur movies.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TLW vs 3 is like debating on whether you want scorpions shoved down your pants or wasps.

I love JP1 but am forever baffled by the fondness for Ian Malcom. He's an annoying character to start with, and then you add in his being played by the cursed corpse that is Jeff Goldblum and urgggggh

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Jurassic Park 2 is great and Jurassic Park 3 is terrible and I don't think I can understand the mindset that could result in people liking 3 over 2 beyond "really hates Jeff Goldblum" which, okay fair point, but there's just so much more effort that went into the second movie than the third that just makes it really confusing to me when people say that the third movie is better, it's, like, have you watched it recently?

Like I plan to, when I do a marathon of all three movies before going to see the fourth. Because I hate myself and my money and my free time. :shepspends:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I legitimately like TLW. It's silly, but fun. The trailer scene, the T-Rex chase, and the raptor sequence are loving magnificent. JP3 is poo poo, though.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

A lot of people hate Lost World because it's really loving long at 135 minutes and feels even longer. JP3 is poo poo but it's only about 95 minutes long or something and doesn't really drag anywhere near as much as Lost World.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 11, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rodyle posted:

I love JP1 but am forever baffled by the fondness for Ian Malcom. He's an annoying character to start with, and then you add in his being played by the cursed corpse that is Jeff Goldblum and urgggggh

My god, the raptors have learned to post.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Rodyle posted:

TLW vs 3 is like debating on whether you want scorpions shoved down your pants or wasps.

They're both cool and fun to watch on the screen OP.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Rodyle posted:

being played by the cursed corpse that is Jeff Goldblum and urgggggh

:frogout:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rodyle posted:

I found him kind of charming in that "too cool for school math teacher" everyone has in highschool. In the book, though, holy poo poo. Dude's bleeding out yet still goes on these long pretentious rants about the evils of commercializing science or exploring the unknown or tampering with nature and just shut the gently caress up and let the painkillers do their thing. I like the book but Malcolm only exists as a ranting lunatic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rodyle posted:

You take that back Jeff Goldblum is a national treasure :argh:

I don't know why people think he's a bad actor.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rodyle posted:

Yeah. Jurassic Park is, at its core, a disaster movie and those don't really go well with sequels, since characters and the story take a back seat to the spectacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
JP3 is best described as an amusement park ride. It feels like the director is behind you at all times going "LET'S GO LET'S GO LET'S GO MOVE MOVE MOVE NEXT SCENE" for most of it. You'll get slower scenes but they are drowned out by the film moving at a breakneck pace. This leads to an incredibly abrupt ending that feels like the director ran out of time and just said "gently caress it."

Lost World feels like it takes ages and is just boring most of the time. It is WAY better than 3 if only because the raptors in the grass sequence kicks rear end.

• Locked thread