Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It was all Timm though
So they basically just said "This ain't your daddy's Justice League!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SRM posted:

It's literally an Elseworld, and it has been advertised as such for months.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SRM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9XhC0WB0aw

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I have to give DC credit, they seem to be able to make worse and worse decisions that continually top one another on a scale last seen in Gurren Lagaan.

That Vampire Batman though, that is like the least Batman you can get until you call him something like Catdude or whatever. I mean, he's got powers and kills, and who knows, maybe his parents are still alive?

Maybe it'll be good, but it just doesn't look good. Plus, why not just use different characters instead of an Elseworld? I get that names sell, but it really leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you buy a Batman story, and get Blade or Morbius.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hey, we bought the morphing software, we're gonna USE the morphing software.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Anora posted:

I have to give DC credit, they seem to be able to make worse and worse decisions that continually top one another on a scale last seen in Gurren Lagaan.

That Vampire Batman though, that is like the least Batman you can get until you call him something like Catdude or whatever. I mean, he's got powers and kills, and who knows, maybe his parents are still alive?

Maybe it'll be good, but it just doesn't look good. Plus, why not just use different characters instead of an Elseworld? I get that names sell, but it really leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you buy a Batman story, and get Blade or Morbius.

Fun fact, that vampire Batman is Kirk Langstrom

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Anora posted:

I'm guessing you're not a fan of Elseworlds.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Or aware that vampire Batman is a concept that's existed for a couple of decades.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Here's the Superman short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=342&v=HYSxN4ezhO4

I think it's much better than the first one.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Equeen posted:

drat.

I haven't gotten excited about anything DC has done since Young Justice but I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was much better than the Batman one, holy poo poo.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Equeen posted:

Its great but its kind of a rehash from what happened in Epilogue with Batman and Ace

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

achillesforever6 posted:

Its great but its kind of a rehash from what happened in Epilogue with Batman and Ace

Well Batman did not kill Ace and Ace knew what she was doing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

achillesforever6 posted:

Not really. Batman didn't kill Ace. And just from established characterization, it is different for Supes to be faced with killing someone vs. Bats.
efb;

That having been said, the Batman one would've been servicable if they just toned down the character design for Harley. I still don't know what Timm was thinking approving that poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The movie that these are building towards are going to be in the same animation style, right?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I wonder if we're going to get dickhead Flash and GL as well

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

omg chael crash posted:

I wonder if we're going to get dickhead GL as well

Hal Jordon?

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Equeen posted:

Holy poo poo that was dark :gonk:. The voice actor for Braniac was fantastic.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

bobkatt013 posted:

Hal Jordon?

Regular Hal, played entirely straight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

omg chael crash posted:

Regular Hal, played entirely straight.

Can we at least get Sinestro telling him how awful he is?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AlternateNu posted:

That having been said, the Batman one would've been servicable if they just toned down the character design for Harley. I still don't know what Timm was thinking approving that poo poo.
I think we know the reason given Timm's history on how he draws women in the DCAU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Not really. Batman didn't kill Ace. And just from established characterization, it is different for Supes to be faced with killing someone vs. Bats.
efb;

I saw a quote somewhere from Timm where he was saying that he had seen how Harley had changed over the years from his original design into progressively skimpier costumes and much more violent crimes so this iteration of Harley was his mean spirited take on that trend.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That was much better then the Batman thing.

Also, I can like Elseworlds, but I see no point in it if you're just strapping the Batman name on someone who isn't batman. I can totally see elseworlds where you do things like driving a character over the edge, giving them a slight power change, or maybe swapping one character for another, but all three at once isn't an Elseworlds, it's making money off of a name.

As much as Flashpoint had wrong with it, I did like Thomas Wayne as Batman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anora posted:

That was much better then the Batman thing.

Also, I can like Elseworlds, but I see no point in it if you're just strapping the Batman name on someone who isn't batman. I can totally see elseworlds where you do things like driving a character over the edge, giving them a slight power change, or maybe swapping one character for another, but all three at once isn't an Elseworlds, it's making money off of a name.

As much as Flashpoint had wrong with it, I did like Thomas Wayne as Batman.

There was one about a guy with Down's Syndrome who dressed up like the Adam West batman to protect his neighborhood that ended up being really sweet. Or at least I remember it that way. The conflict was that the Burton Batman movie came out right in the middle of the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

That was much better than the Batman one, holy poo poo.

And does a really good job setting up Superman being 'gently caress you, President Waller'.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

JT Smiley posted:

Seriously, at this point she's only in her lingerie. It doesn't even fit with any of the poo poo she's doing in that clip.

It fits, she was at home with her murder doll family after a hard day of kidnapping she was half undressed when Batman showed up.

Dark means mature yo.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SlothfulCobra posted:

The "guess what, Batman is actually super serious and his enemies have killed more people than have ever lived" gut-punch has been done so many times, it's more of a shock when writers go for a lighter Batman. That's why Brave and the Bold was so good.

I haven't heard anything good come out of DC for a while now. I hope that trend stops soon.
The problem is that while we can be put off by the obvious flaws, the the audience they're targeting LOVES this stuff. The YouTube commenters for that clip are falling all over themselves with how it's so edgy and dark and mature and better than things like BatB and Teen Titans Go.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Batman did not kill Ace and Ace knew what she was doing.
Based on this post I really thought that clip was going to be a real life version of punchingretardedBrainiactodeath.txt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What do you think Waller's platform was in the election?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

What do you think Waller's platform was in the election?

This is Amanda Waller, what makes you think there was an election? All the other choices were probably in convenient accidents at the last second.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I get that it's an Elseworld and the whole point is that "Hey these guys aren't the heroes you know and in fact have origins that make them predisposed to having flawed moral compasses" but I really hope that just maybe we get something that's a little less dark for dark's sake. Although given that the next one is "Wonder Woman raised by Ares" I guess I'd better just strap in for a montage of WW just tearing through some criminals like loving Kratos.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's already New 52 Wonder Woman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No you see, she stabs people because she loves them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yandere Simulator is getting its own comic?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Honestly I wasn't that keen on the Superman "Bomb" short either. Attempting to evoke Akira is a really bad play when your animation is so lazy and cheap. I have the same problem with nearly all of DC's animated output right now.

Big fan of President Waller, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I kinda liked the shorts, but so far they haven't really done anything notably good. Batman's costume looks... eh, I guess I wanted something a bit more traditionally vampire-like. Something like a tattered Gotham by Gaslight costume.

Of course maybe I just want to like it because this:

makes me laugh every time I see it.

Also, President Waller was cool, but I went "oh poo poo, Sivana!" when he showed up.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Until he said "Brainiac", once Sivana appeared I completely expected the explosion to be caused by Billy Batson.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Last, but certainly not least, the Wonder Woman short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWLqnjFN64

This was pretty fun, I'll admit.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Best one yet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Really liked WW's voice actress, and her casual use of New Gods Portal technology. Steve Trevor will always be the second worst DC character of all time, just above Terry Long.

• Locked thread