Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Probably been posted a thousand times already but I was exploring Oxenfurt and randomly found the notes from those two guys in Flotsam that give you a potion and ask you to keep a journal. it was designed to cure sterility :eyepop: Notes were at the statue at the closed entrance to Oxenfurt Academy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It doesn't make a lick of a difference what you do in W2, maybe one minor sentence here and there if even that.
Just leave Letho and Philippa alive, they have pretty interesting sidequests in W3

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

It doesn't make a lick of a difference what you do in W2, maybe one minor sentence here and there if even that.
Just leave Letho and Philippa alive, they have pretty interesting sidequests in W3

But Philippa survives no matter what in TW2

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A lot of people mix up Philipa and Sile.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Finished the game. 98 hours for a single playthrough.

Eredin was pretty good for a final battle in the game. After rolling Caranthir pretty quickly I was worried I was overleveled, but fortunately he put up a much better fight by taking practically no damage and being very difficult to hit in the first place. He wasn't hard, particularly, but he did force you to pay attention throughout the fight and I'm alright with that.

In the end, Ciri walks the Witcher's path, first with Geralt, then alone. That's basically the ending I wanted for her; after a lifetime of being hunted and having everyone of real influence trying to involve her in any number of schemes what I really wanted for her ending was to just say gently caress You to all of them and forge her own path through life. And she shall. Geralt and Yennifer get a happy retirement away from violence and war and maybe he'll be the first witcher to die in his bed. I'm happy with that.

Gotta say through there were a good 5-6 minutes there between talking to the Emperor and getting the sword at the old ruins where I was sure Ciri had actually died through a heroic sacrifice. Especially when I saw Geralt naming the sword after her. When they cut to her in the inn I may have done a fist pump or two in front of my screen. :3:

Finest game I've had the privilege of playing in years. Maybe ever.

There is one plot point I am still a bit curious about that they never seemed to address: what exactly was the White Frost, beyond what appeared to be some giant glowing sphere of cold that spreads through all worlds eventually exterminating them in a permanent Ice Age? Where did it come from, why is it doing this? And how does someone with the Elder Blood actually stop it? I know about Ithlynne's Prophecy, but that is basically describing what happens and not why.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The poker you can get from Carnal Sins is pretty goddamn hilarious.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of people mix up Philipa and Sile.

If you leave Sile alive she gets a cameo and actually made me think that it might have been kinder to kill her in 2 as she has been in the witch hunters prison a long time and has been tortured to the point of death. She asks you for a mercy killing. Which you can grant...or not.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Haha it wouldve been great if the last showdown with mr badass couldve been decided by a card game!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is my first witcher game and so far it's incredibly hard. I played bloodborne and that was less cheap than this game. What am I doing wrong? Healing takes ages with the swallow potion. I'm level 4 and a pack of two or three level 4 enemies is just guaranteed death. I have it on the second difficulty which seems it should be a cakewalk from Google searches.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Ravenfood posted:

The poker you can get from Carnal Sins is pretty goddamn hilarious.

I did that mission around like level 20, and it actually ended up being a pretty drat good weapon. I used it for a long while and still have it if I feel like pokin around with it.

But my geralt also has over 10,000 inventory because he changes armor as often as the winds change direction. Min-maxing gear and weapons be damned, the most important part of witchering is looking good while you do it.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

echronorian posted:

This is my first witcher game and so far it's incredibly hard. I played bloodborne and that was less cheap than this game. What am I doing wrong? Healing takes ages with the swallow potion. I'm level 4 and a pack of two or three level 4 enemies is just guaranteed death. I have it on the second difficulty which seems it should be a cakewalk from Google searches.

Positioning is very important against groups, and sidestepping should generally be used over rolling. and don't get greedy with hits.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

echronorian posted:

Being a witcher isn't about being strong and powerful. It's about preparing and being a cheap mother fucker... use whatever bombs, oils, and potions you have available and check your bestiary to know what works best against what enemies. You'll get the hang of it eventually and the game is actually hardest early on since you have the least amount of skill points and resources available. It gets easier.

Also in white orchard make sure to go around to all the question marks and stuff because those places of power each give you a skill point whenever you first find them. Also on your difficulty meditation regenerates health so you can do that in between battles if you need to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, stuff chicken in your mouth after chugging Swallow early game. Swallow adds regen on it's own, true, but it massively buffs regen from other sources too.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

also dont be afraid to run away. thats always a valid option

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

echronorian posted:

Just like enemies, you take double damage when hit from behind. If you've played bloodborne you should know that Rule One of multiple opponents is to keep track of all of them as best you can, because the one you're not watching is offscreen preparing to claw out your vitals in a couple seconds.

A lot of monster enemies, like drowners and ghouls, will have certain attacks that you can't interrupt. It takes a little bit of practice and observation to know when they happen, just be ready at times to dodge away and then attack after instead of just hammering fast attack in their face until they go down.

If you didn't pick up the schematics for the Viper witcher swords in White Orchard, go back, find them, and make the swords. You need emerald dust for them, which drops off of Wraiths (you can find a couple in the graveyard). Silver > Steel. In fact, it's good to clear out White Orchard in general because they stack a lot more Places of Power there then in the other areas of the game, which will give you a leg up in ability points. When you're in Velen always look for treasure maps sold by merchants, for they will lead you to more witcher gear schematics which form the majority of the gear you'll be using throughout the game.

Early on it's ok to just progress the main quest a bit, because the majority of exp earned in the game is from main quests and they'll tend to keep the monster level appropriate for you. Side quests and contracts will still award full experience to you as long as you're up to 5 levels higher then it's recommended level, so you can always go back for those.

W3 starts hard, because you're below the difficulty curve. If you keep with it for a few more levels in time you'll begin to outpace it comfortably.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

echronorian posted:

Are you using bombs, signs, and potions? The first two are far more important at that level, but exploding everything is always useful. Against monsters you want to dodge rather than parry.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Finally getting around to picking this up again after like a week. I just finished off Skellige's stuff so I could recruit some peeps. Skellige is such an awesome zone since they mostly treat Geralt like he's awesome instead of being dicks to him like other zones. Although I still think the Bloody Baron questline is better. If you show the Nilfgaard Tywin complete obedience and agree to all his poo poo will he agree to help at Kaer Morhen? When I finally went back to see him to ask him for help, he offered his army, but only if his weasily dude leads it (which, to be frank, I kind of liked that dude). And I took the lesser of the rude options when I had a choice of what to say with warning that that was a bad idea. However, I didn't get an option to be like "okay fine he can lead your army". Instead of Geralt just automatically went "absolutely not" and Tywinn was like "well fine then be that way hmph" and didn't lend me his army. Is it possible to actually get his help if you weren't rude to him at all?

Also I'm now running around doing other sidequests I missed. Can I just say how much I love Dandelion? He's so completely ridiculous of a character. His outfit is amazing. His voice is great and is so just like... normal. It's literally just sounds like some fuckin random american dude. I love that he's constantly optimistic about everything all the time. Even when things are lovely he's like BRO don't worry about me! I got this! Everything is cool! And it's like Dandelion I like you

Edit: Also, I'm not bothering to craft weapons or armor just... out of laziness really. So I feel like the weapons and armor I'll get as quest rewards FEEL like actual rewards. I was pretty stoked to get the sword for doing the big chain in Skellige, the one that was like a family heirloom. And since I haven't been bothering to craft things that are better, I got to actually use this cool story item instead of just vendoring it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Is the Bovine Defense Initiative only around in white orchard?

I was dicking around in Skrilla' to see if it would spawn and nothing happened after a hefty concentration of cow corpses. Thats a lot of red on the mini map. http://i.imgur.com/2wrjAz2.jpg

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Is the Bovine Defense Initiative only around in white orchard?

I was dicking around in Skrilla' to see if it would spawn and nothing happened after a hefty concentration of cow corpses. Thats a lot of red on the mini map. http://i.imgur.com/2wrjAz2.jpg

I imagine it's only necessary there, as later on you can make plenty of cash selling gear that you don't want any more.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How do I trigger the DLC quest?

I went to the village Lurtch but nothing happened.

Maybe the DLC isn't downloaded?

edit: nevermind figured it out

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 11, 2015

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

How do I trigger the DLC quest?

I went to the village Lurtch but nothing happened.

Maybe the DLC isn't downloaded?

When you get there there should be 2 guys sitting at a campfire roasting a pig, and shown on the mini map with the normal quest exclamation point where talking to them starts the quest.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, if yours is a Steam copy you have to install the DLC first.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Another weird thing. After completing The Great Escape, I got Sile De Tansarville's profile in the glossary. I read it and it mentioned me meeting her even though that hasn't happened. Was I supposed to meet her in this quest and didn't and it marked it down anyway? I don't even remember if I let her explode in Witcher 2 or not.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

oddium posted:

hey so no spoilers but i feel like maybe i did this the wrong way ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVwPLH6sy-c

Funny. I did the same thing but instead I went up the rocks on the right hand side and just jumped until I got over the wall. It wasn't until I was inside the lighthouse that I realized there was a way to get in underwater!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Lareine posted:

Another weird thing. After completing The Great Escape, I got Sile De Tansarville's profile in the glossary. I read it and it mentioned me meeting her even though that hasn't happened. Was I supposed to meet her in this quest and didn't and it marked it down anyway? I don't even remember if I let her explode in Witcher 2 or not.

She was one of the two women in the prison.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks guys. Just realized I hadn't equipped any of my upgraded abilities and now combat is much better. Oof

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OAquinas posted:

I'd be up for no minimap, if there was compass mod. Not knowing what direction you're heading in is a bit of an issue. Sure, flipping back and forth between the world map would help but that just gets tedious for tedious' sake.

I turned off the minimap about 20 hours ago and while finding arbitrary things like people in Novigrad is annoying, the game does a really good job of providing landmarks. You can see the Temple in Novigrad anywhere north of the Crookback hills, and you can see the huge oak on the hill from anywhere in Velen as well. It's a lot harder to get lost in Skellige with the coast usually within sight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i am annoyed they could not just have also had a poker option and in the intro tavern you can say no to the pokemans and go sit in at a poker game

I kind of miss dice poker and arm wrestling. Would it have killed them to mix up the tavern activities?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

You should be able to track more than one quest at a time.

Please don't tell me there's been a way to do that this whole time

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Ragingsheep posted:

She was one of the two women in the prison.

If she's there, I didn't see her and I didn't see her on the prisoner list unless she was going by Zelona. I don't know if she's alive or not, considering I don't remember what I did in this imported W2 save.

Edit: I've gone back and did the whole quest again. I still cannot find her. There is only one female prisoner in there besides Margarita and it's not her. I'm guessing I really did kill her at the end of W2. Doesn't explain the profile though. The profile says I totally did find her and gave her a mercy killing.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 11, 2015

Dec 30, 2008

Helith posted:

If you leave Sile alive she gets a cameo and actually made me think that it might have been kinder to kill her in 2 as she has been in the witch hunters prison a long time and has been tortured to the point of death. She asks you for a mercy killing. Which you can grant...or not.

Letho actually tells you at the end of 2 that it would've been kinder to let her die. Guess they followed through on that promise.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Best unintentional bit of comedy in the game is meditating in front of the master blacksmith until he finished forging an 'amazing' sword for my quest reward and instantly making him dismantle the piece of poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Now most of the loot I get is like -15 damage to my Witcher swords and about equivalent with my armor but with worse bonuses/prettyness. I had to put a fair bit of time getting this witcher set all together, and it's a little better than random drops. Seems about like it should be to me.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I've never seen a loot drop I even considered using past level 10.

edit: well whatever the first set gear requires

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Levantine posted:

Saved you a swim!

Missed a Place of Power!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, Comte! If you're still in the thread, I spotted one of your whales!

It froze in midair so I got a really good look at it!

It also made the whole ocean freeze, no waves at all, like gliding around on glass. Was pretty cool.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Are the physics in Skellige just super hosed? Watching my gf play and every single monster corpse just sorta freezes in place after death. Good poses though.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

Are the physics in Skellige just super hosed? Watching my gf play and every single monster corpse just sorta freezes in place after death. Good poses though.

ive seen way more weird stuff after the patch then before but still not that much. ive also been lucky that its all been a propos of nothing

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Million Ghosts posted:

Had that once after playing long, restarting the game fixed it, location has nothing to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Okay cool, she was worried it was a sign of some kinda save killing poo poo. Thanks.