Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If I were a trainee on the brink of washing out before my 1 year was up I'd get sleep apnea with a quickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

If I were a trainee on the brink of washing out before my 1 year was up I'd get sleep apnea with a quickness.

I have seen EXACTLY this.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I have seen EXACTLY this.

poo poo, I'd have done it. I was 30 with absolutely no other prospects at that point in time.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

poo poo, I'd have done it. I was 30 with absolutely no other prospects at that point in time.

Yeah, can't say I wouldn't have either. I don't blame people that do. I blame the system, not them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress weather season. That is all.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
Has anyone who applied for the ATC jobs heard anything yet?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My friend who failed enroute at the Academy reapplied and just got his TOL for terminal, and is supposed to bypass the academy this time and go directly to his facility.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bitchymcjones posted:

Has anyone who applied for the ATC jobs heard anything yet?

ATSAT emails were sent today

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

My friend who failed enroute at the Academy reapplied and just got his TOL for terminal, and is supposed to bypass the academy this time and go directly to his facility.

This doesn't sound right at all. Even people that pass the academy and go to their center, if they wash out, have to go back to OKC for terminal.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Tommy 2.0 posted:

This doesn't sound right at all. Even people that pass the academy and go to their center, if they wash out, have to go back to OKC for terminal.

"It is imperative that the FAA move forward with its plan to direct hire experienced military, DOD, and civilian controllers outside of the single source announcement that it is currently using. This would allow experienced controllers to be directly placed in facilities bypassing the Academy and reducing the training time by as much as 3-4 months, depending on where they are placed after hiring. As many of these already-experienced developmentals would be placed at lower to mid-level facilities, this would allow experienced controllers from these facilities to move up to more complex facilities and provide some relief to critically staffed air traffic facilities."

This was from testimony given by NATCA to congress in 2014, but I'd heard of this a couple years prior to that of being in the pipeline. I'm seeing it being mentioned on a couple websites like stuckmic for the 2015 hiring, but I can't find any links or whatever to anything official, other than what I already posted from NATCA. Apparently there were come slides from congress floating around about this. I'll keep looking for them when I get a chance.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Your friend was prior military or DoD? The previous center experience wouldn't count if they didn't complete training.

The FAA goes back and forth every few years on whether to send prior experience controllers to the academy or not.

Sometimes, even current FAA controllers that are crossing over specialties (from En Route to Terminal and vice versa) are made to attend the appropriate academy courses. It doesn't stay consistent.

Hell I'd push for attending for my own benefit. Yeah OKC sucks a bit, but the coursework is free experience gained from quite knowledgeable people.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Your friend was prior military or DoD? The previous center experience wouldn't count if they didn't complete training.

The FAA goes back and forth every few years on whether to send prior experience controllers to the academy or not.

Sometimes, even current FAA controllers that are crossing over specialties (from En Route to Terminal and vice versa) are made to attend the appropriate academy courses. It doesn't stay consistent.

Hell I'd push for attending for my own benefit. Yeah OKC sucks a bit, but the coursework is free experience gained from quite knowledgeable people.

I think they've changed it, but for quite a while you didn't have to go to the academy when you went from terminal to en route. So you would go from a VFR tower straight to the training program at the center you went to and not have a single loving clue what was going on. I've seen this happen to multiple people now.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My friend was prior military.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

...So you would go from a VFR tower straight to the training program at the center you went to and not have a single loving clue what was going on. I've seen this happen to multiple people now.

Setting them up for success. :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Setting them up for success. :v:

My favorite was the first day in the dysim lab and the instructor told the guy to make a point out.

:v: What's a point out??

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

My friend was prior military.

Yeah see this makes more sense now. I guess this is a recent change.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A private jet landed nose gear up about an hour and a half ago at PHL. I was in the air at the time and ended up in an hour hold.

I'm waiting at my next gate listening to the tower deal with one active and the dude is killing it.

He just informed an income American Airlines flight on final that they had a departure before them and they needed to slow immediately. A few seconds later the pilot offered to do some S-turns and the controller lit up like a kid on Christmas morning.

The controller has been praising pilots after they execute whatever direction given. Like "American 776 great job exit runway left at kilo 3" etc

Makes me happy.

Edit:

Tower: United 774 I have someone at 2 miles can you depart immediately?

UA774: You better believe it!

:gerty:

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 5, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I am flying an airplane with a tail number that ends in 'N'

That's so retarded

Call I call it 'Nova' or something different as a pilot? Will you care? Does it matter? No responses from Ferret King please.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Time for a vanity tail number.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

I am flying an airplane with a tail number that ends in 'N'

That's so retarded

Call I call it 'Nova' or something different as a pilot? Will you care? Does it matter? No responses from Ferret King please.

You call it whatever you like, but we're going to think you're some kind of retard.

If you don't like starting and ending with November, try Type and registration. N1888N becomes Piper one eight eight eight november.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
How about tree, fife and niner? I usually end up forgetting for 3 and 5 and am probably about 50/50 on 9.

(Ferret King is welcome to respond to this post.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hey, the registration N359N is available!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The ultimate troll registration!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fordan posted:

How about tree, fife and niner? I usually end up forgetting for 3 and 5 and am probably about 50/50 on 9.

(Ferret King is welcome to respond to this post.)

I use them all. Tree and Fife with less regularity, but with predominantly foreign and trainee pilots, annunciation is important.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005
What's all this about?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I was once flying a plane with CC as the last characters of the registration, and I would like to submit that "cha-cha" should be allowable phraseology for CC.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

squeakygeek posted:

What's all this about?

Our manual prescribes how we have to say numbers or letters on the frequencies.

quote:

FAA JO7110.65V Chg3.
2−4−16. ICAO PHONETICS

Use the ICAO pronunciation of numbers and
individual letters. (See the ICAO radiotelephony
alphabet and pronunciation in TBL 2−4−1.)

quote:

TBL 2−4−1 ICAO Phonetics

Character/Word/Pronunciation

0 Zero ZE−RO
1 One WUN
2 Two TOO
3 Three TREE
4 Four FOW−ER
5 Five FIFE
6 Six SIX
7 Seven SEV−EN
8 Eight AIT
9 Nine NIN−ER
A Alfa ALFAH
B Bravo BRAHVOH
C Charlie CHARLEE
D Delta DELLTAH
E Echo ECKOH
F Foxtrot FOKSTROT
G Golf GOLF
H Hotel HOHTELL
I India INDEE AH
J Juliett JEWLEE ETT
K Kilo KEYLOH
L Lima LEEMAH
M Mike MIKE
N November NOVEMBER
O Oscar OSSCAH
P Papa PAHPAH
Q Quebec KEHBECK
R Romeo ROWME OH
S Sierra SEEAIRAH
T Tango TANGGO
U Uniform YOUNEE FORM
V Victor VIKTAH
W Whiskey WISSKEY
X X−ray ECKSRAY
Y Yankee YANGKEY
Z Zulu ZOOLOO

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 11, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You're supposed to say "Oscar" like you have a British accent? I never knew that.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ROWMEE, OHHHHHH!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FOW-er always struck me as odd too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What you find when dealing with poor radio quality and language barriers is that single syllable, soft consonant words can get confused for others even if they're not all that similar.

Three and Two get mixed up a lot, and using "Tree" honestly helps alleviate that. Zero and Sierra, Nine and Five, any single syllable can get swallowed up in static or various tones, or intermittent Push-To-Talk switch activation, so the hard sounds help the words stand out if you can't stretch them to more than one syllable.

Comm equipment on many GA and military planes is horrid. Every little bit helps.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 11, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Comm equipment on many GA and military planes is horrid. Every little bit helps.

The fact that we're still using completely analog radios fifteen years into the twenty-first century is a triumph of bureaucratic inertia over common sense.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

The fact that we're still using completely analog radios fifteen years into the twenty-first century is a triumph of bureaucratic inertia over common sense.

Analog AM is probably the right mode for aviation. FM and most digital formats I'm aware of have the capture effect where only the strongest signal makes it through, which isn't desirable when you have a stuck mike on frequency. With AM you can hear both stations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fordan posted:

Analog AM is probably the right mode for aviation. FM and most digital formats I'm aware of have the capture effect where only the strongest signal makes it through, which isn't desirable when you have a stuck mike on frequency. With AM you can hear both stations.

When we have a stuck mic, the frequency becomes nigh-unusable, anyway. I'd gladly trade capture effects for more signal quality. I have to hear and understand a read cal of a control instruction for it to be valid, anyway, which can be a royal pain in the rear end when the student pilot from Mumbai is mumbling into the hand mic in a thirty-five year old Cessna two miles from a major thunderstorm.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

It's really easy to upgrade your radios when it's someone else's money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

When we have a stuck mic, the frequency becomes nigh-unusable, anyway. I'd gladly trade capture effects for more signal quality. I have to hear and understand a read cal of a control instruction for it to be valid, anyway, which can be a royal pain in the rear end when the student pilot from Mumbai is mumbling into the hand mic in a thirty-five year old Cessna two miles from a major thunderstorm.

With digital you probably wouldn't have heard him at all.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
KEHBECK

One of my trainers would ding me on phraseology when I said KWABECK.

Also there's a guy flying around with the tail number N38DD. How would you address him?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
N38DD cleared direct JUGGS

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kmcormick9 posted:

KEHBECK

One of my trainers would ding me on phraseology when I said KWABECK.

Why were you saying it that way? That's a wrong pronunciation for the province of Quebec itself in addition to not being correct for radiotelephony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This guy wins the :smuggo: registration award.

We also have a bizjet company that just started flying around with the callsign "screamer." They only use one flight number: 69.