Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The guys said that nothing like this ever happened and that this was just the DA prosecuting them because of a media witch hunt.

Damned Liberal media always looking for someone to be blamed every time some th- negro decides to snap their spine or steal the bullets out of a unassuming officer's gun at 2,500 feet per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

They were probably the same ones who were on Fox News when the protests were happening (in silhouette and voice changed). The guys said that nothing like this ever happened and that this was just the DA prosecuting them because of a media witch hunt.

Ah, so this is another case of 'me too-ism' where CNN tries desperately to be Fox News.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You'd think with all of the attention on dressing women modestly the Duggars would be able to pull off a better cover-up.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Damned Liberal media always looking for someone to be blamed every time some th- negro decides to snap their spine or steal the bullets out of a unassuming officer's gun at 2,500 feet per second.
:goonsay: It'd be somewhere between 800 fps and 1300 fps depending on what calibre of handgun they were using.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You'd think with all of the attention on dressing women modestly the Duggars would be able to pull off a better cover-up.

Well, when the "victim" is trying to remove clothes, there's only so much caring parents can do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

:goonsay: It'd be somewhere between 800 fps and 1300 fps depending on what calibre of handgun they were using.

Oh, thanks LeJackal. Now I know! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Walsh is on Gawker

Jesus Would Hate This Christian Blogger Just as Much as You Do

http://gawker.com/jesus-would-hate-this-christian-blogger-just-as-much-as-1707080093

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Guys, did you know that the cops going nuts on that pool party in Texas was all a ploy to distract from the most important issue the US faces?

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2015-06-10.html

quote:

I'm impressed by the coolness and steadiness of our media in suppressing any news about immigration. It's as if they've built a triple-layer fence with border guards around immigration topics. And guess what? Their fence is working!

How many thousands of news stories have there been on Ferguson, ISIS, Chris Christie's "Bridgegate" or men becoming women?

But the media will never tell you about Mexicans gang-raping a lesbian in Richmond, California, an Indian immigrant in San Francisco importing 12-year-old girls he bought from their parents for sex, or three children being beheaded by Mexicans in Baltimore.

Don't Americans have a right to know about the cultures flooding into our country?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Guys, did you know that the cops going nuts on that pool party in Texas was all a ploy to distract from the most important issue the US faces?

What do you think would happen to these people if they had to deal with two concurrent tragedies in their lives? Personally, I get the impression that they'd have an aneurysm so intense that blood would leak from their ears, at the thought of caring about two things at once.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sir Tonk posted:

I imagine that most of these things, when caught, are dealt with pretty quickly and so no one cares very much because "an violent criminal goes to prison" isn't newsworthy because that's the system working as intended.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tender Bender posted:

Also this:

Haha now apparently these black teens are an occupying army that terrorize the poor whites by kicking in their doors and trashing their cars and it's all kept hush hush by the media for Reasons.

I was going to say that True Conservatives are loving insane, but then I realized that they're just confused, and the world they think they're in is the one that low-income black people actually live in.

#Iwashereyouwerent is amazing.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

derra posted:

Wait, they are blaming Obamacare for gay marriage? Am I getting this right?
No, Burwell is about the Obamacare subsidies. They're gutting the ACA and then blaming Obama for it, like so:

https://twitter.com/SenJohnThune/status/607990379619696640

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

quote:

Dear Jerry Seinfeld,

Recently, I've heard about your reluctance to perform on college campuses because of how "politically correct" college students are. You also further made remarks that college students are quick to use the words "racist," "sexist," and "prejudice" with little reverence for what those words really mean (which you felt was proven by a remark made by your 14-year old daughter.)

As a college student that loves and appreciates offensive, provocative comedy, I'm disheartened by these comments.

While I do agree with you that college students today are more sensitive to issues of race and gender politics, it's simply because that's our job as learners. As college students who are engaged in a myriad of social, economic, and political issues, it's our duty to be actively engaged and educated about issues of sexism, racism and prejudice. While, respectively, your daughter might not quite know what's considered "sexist" yet, I can say with confidence that most college students can distinguish the boundaries of what's considered appropriately sexist or not.

But, I'd like to refocus the conversation to the state of comedy that you feel like we would call "racist" or "sexist."

We need to talk about the role that provocative comedy holds today in a progressive world.

It isn't so much that college students are too politically correct (whatever your definition of that concept is), it's that comedy in our progressive society today can no longer afford to be crass, or provocative for the sake of being offensive. Sexist humor and racist humor can no longer exist in comedy because these concepts are based on archaic ideals that have perpetrated injustice against minorities in the past.

Provocative humor, such as ones dealing with topics of race and gender politics, can be crass and vulgar, but underlying it must be a context that spurs social dialogue about these respective issues. There needs to be a message, a central truth behind comedy for it to work as humor.

Take Amy Schumer for example.

A rising comic in her own right, Schumer has become a muse in being able to tackle difficult social commentaries of sexism and racism through her comedy. During the premier of the newest season of Schumer's comedy sketch show Inside Amy Schumer, Schumer and her writers managed to make a topic that most could never conceive of even making humorous: rape.

The sketch, Football Town Lights, a parody of the football series, Friday Night Lights, told the story of a football coach who boldly decides to reform the local town's losing football team by instilling a strict anti-rape rule for his football players. Throughout the sketch, the players and the town folk are simply flabbergasted at the very concept of not being able to rape. One of the players asks the coach, "What if she thinks it's rape, but I don't?" Another player asks, "What if my mom is the district attorney and won't prosecute me? Can I rape?"

Underlying the joke of it all, of course, is the horrifying truth of rape culture existent in high school football, and an even more horrifying reality of the parents attempting to justify it. Earlier this year, we heard of a horrifying case of a gang rape committed by five Florida high school football players and realized the underlying culture of violence and male domination that inhabits high school football.

While it's not the sole role of comics to be social commentators on every issue through their comedy, I believe there is a responsibility, especially when a well-known comic is talking about sensitive topics like race and gender politics, to have an underlying message to be said.

This doesn't mean that the funny aspect of the bit has to be compromised for the sake of social commentary. As countless comedians have proven before, it's very possible to have a message and be hilarious at the same time.

This translates to stand-up comedy as well. Take it from your fellow male comics.

Stand-up comedian, Louis C.K's bit about how much he loves being white can be, at first glance, construed as being "racist" in a traditional sense. He says in his set, "I'm not saying that white people are better, I'm saying that being white is clearly better, who can argue!"

Doesn't that sound a little "racist" to you? But, view it within the context of what he says, Louis C.K. constructs another valuable dialogue about white male privilege, and the historic injustices that this system has created.

A bit that could have been potentially disastrous was made even more hilarious because of the underlying social context of what Louis was saying.

George Carlin, who was revered by many as being one of the comedy "greats," frequently used crass, vulgar and potentially offensive humor in his acts. While by today's standards, some of Carlin's material can be considered sexist and offensive, many of his bits are still appreciated today because of his strong opinions and the underlying context of what he said. Sure, he was offensive when he tried to justify using racial slurs, but as he said a bit, "it's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that make them good or bad."

Stand-up comedian Todd Glass argued passionately on comedy podcast Sklarbro County, that young comedians who shy away from offensive humor lack the courage to use the medium as a way to create social commentary and dialogue, as Carlin did. Glass called for comedians to be more offensive, but within the right context.

You can be crass, you can be vulgar, and it's not about worrying about offending people. gently caress offending people. Offend the right loving people. Don't let this fake argument that makes you not want to grow [as a comedian] and say, 'Oh, you're always going offend somebody.' No one said you shouldn't! It's your fake argument! Offend the living gently caress out of people! But make sure you're doing it to the right group. Because, I'm sure George Carlin, most of the time, was offending the right people.

So, yes, Mr. Seinfeld, we college students are politically correct. We will call out sexism and racism if we hear it. But if you're going to come to my college and perform in front of me, be prepared to write up a set that doesn't just offend me, but has something to say.

There's no reason you can't do what other comics are doing. You have an amazing legacy, both in stand-up and on television, because you do your job well.

But, there's a generation in college right now that hasn't seen your comedy, and there's a demographic that yearns for laughter. College students today are looking to be provoked, to be offended by comedy, and to think about these issues within the context of comedy.

So please, take the first step and come to a college campus with a set that will make us laugh.

Offend the gently caress out of college students. Provoke the gently caress out of me. We'll thank you for it later.

Sincerely,
College Student
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-berteaux/jerry-seinfeld-politcally-correct-college-student_b_7540878.html

"Yes we are sensitive and politically correct, and we only like offensive comedy if it's offending the people we hate."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd just like to thank George Carlin for opening the floodgates for thousands of 4chan nerds to argue that it's ok to call anything they don't like a human being, a friend of the family or a niggerfaggot. OK bye.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

That was basically just 'don't punch down.' What's wrong with that?

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Does any radio show have a worse hourly intro segment than Glenn Beck? The song is horrible and it goes on forever. If I start to hear it I'll switch to NPR for an entire segment and switch back and that guy is still going "All we want is love....".

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-berteaux/jerry-seinfeld-politcally-correct-college-student_b_7540878.html

"Yes we are sensitive and politically correct, and we only like offensive comedy if it's offending the people we hate."

It's funny if you joke about offensive things in a subversive way, so that you're actually ridiculing them. It's not funny if you say outrageous things just to be edgy and shock people. Simple.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sir Tonk posted:

quote:

Don't Americans have a right to know about the cultures flooding into our country?
Holy poo poo amazing

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Does any radio show have a worse hourly intro segment than Glenn Beck? The song is horrible and it goes on forever. If I start to hear it I'll switch to NPR for an entire segment and switch back and that guy is still going "All we want is love....".

Beck is the worst right wing personality by far from an entertainment perspective. He's totally nuts but in the most boring uninteresting way possible. It sucks that he holds the main morning commute slot on satellite but I guess he does own the station sooooo

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Matt Walsh is on Gawker

Jesus Would Hate This Christian Blogger Just as Much as You Do

http://gawker.com/jesus-would-hate-this-christian-blogger-just-as-much-as-1707080093

I really wish they wouldn't give him the attention he so clearly craves. See also: Crowder and the floor shitter.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I really wish they wouldn't give him the attention he so clearly craves. See also: Crowder and the floor shitter.

It's actually funny how much Chuck J has completely disappeared after being booted from Twitter. His site has gone mostly silent and pretty much everyone has stopped acknowledging his existence.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Good Citizen posted:

It's actually funny how much Chuck J has completely disappeared after being booted from Twitter. His site has gone mostly silent and pretty much everyone has stopped acknowledging his existence.

I'm sure his #MaiAsianWaifu will comfort him in these trying times :ohdear:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Are you talking about the song that opens with "we all want to belong, we all want to be loved," before the host and his toadies dive into another whitebread rant about muslims/gay gestapos/transsexuals/liberals/unions/etc/etc/etc

Yeah it's the loving worst.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

RoanHorse posted:

That was basically just 'don't punch down.' What's wrong with that?

Chris Rock never "punched down" and he's the one who put Seinfeld onto this idea that college students think jokes are serious political statements.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Seinfeld's never even punched.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Animal-Mother posted:

Chris Rock never "punched down" and he's the one who put Seinfeld onto this idea that college students think jokes are serious political statements.
Uhh, Chris Rock had to retire an entire bit about black people he hates. It's well-done but he was clearly "punching down" at what he considered a lower class of black people.

If I make jokes about white trash, despite being white, I'm still "punching down."

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

Beck is the worst right wing personality by far from an entertainment perspective. He's totally nuts but in the most boring uninteresting way possible. It sucks that he holds the main morning commute slot on satellite but I guess he does own the station sooooo

Beck starts at noon for me in the pacific northwest so he's on during my lunch drive. The other conservative station runs Lars Larson who is insufferable so Beck is pretty good by comparison.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Sir Tonk posted:

A crazy bitch posted:

Whatever issue you think is more important than immigration, you're wrong. Without our post-1965 immigration policy, Obama would never have been elected president. That means no Obamacare, no withdrawal of every last troop from Iraq, no playing footsie with the Iranians, no Eric Holder, no Fast and Furious, no IRS harassment of tea party groups, no Benghazi massacre -- and on and on and on.

:psyboom:

She doesn't mean all this manic poo poo seriously? Right? Right?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Beck starts at noon for me in the pacific northwest so he's on during my lunch drive. The other conservative station runs Lars Larson who is insufferable so Beck is pretty good by comparison.

Beck starts at 8am central. You're getting a 2 hour tape delay

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Good Citizen posted:

Beck is the worst right wing personality by far from an entertainment perspective. He's totally nuts but in the most boring uninteresting way possible.

No way, Glenn Beck has literally cried on camera for America. He did entire segments involving convoluted conspiracy theories on a blackboard, and spent his shows pacing around like a maniac raving in a stream of consciousness. I saw a segment around the 2008 or 2012 election where he stood in front of a red/blue electoral map, tearfully pointing out the massive swathes of red in the center of the country and the tiny blue urban splotches and compared them to a virus, and how those massive swathes of (unpopulated) red territory were strong and everything was going to be okay if we just rally to our churches and communities. Maybe radio just doesn't flatter his strengths, because TV-Beck was crazy in a way I've never seen duplicated by anyone.

He seemed legitimately crazy. Not hateful or angry or paranoid, but emotionally unstable.

edit: Like even the way his show was shot was amazing, because he just rambled around the set aimlessly while the camera men tried to keep up, and he'd just find the camera and stand and speak directly into it. It was vaguely unsettling to watch, even beyond the politics.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 11, 2015

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

Beck starts at 8am central. You're getting a 2 hour tape delay

I feel cheated now, I'm not getting fresh Beck. It used to be Huckabee in that slot until 6 months ago or so and I think that was live. He was usually too boring for me unless he was mad about christians being slighted somewhere, somehow. At least I know Levin is live, my favorite :allears:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Periodiko posted:

No way, Glenn Beck has literally cried on camera for America. He did entire segments involving convoluted conspiracy theories on a blackboard, and spent his shows pacing around like a maniac raving in a stream of consciousness. I saw a segment around the 2008 or 2012 election where he stood in front of a red/blue electoral map, tearfully pointing out the massive swathes of red in the center of the country and the tiny blue urban splotches and compared them to a virus, and how those massive swathes of (unpopulated) red territory were strong and everything was going to be okay if we just rally to our churches and communities. Maybe radio just doesn't flatter his strengths, because TV-Beck was crazy in a way I've never seen duplicated by anyone.

He seemed legitimately crazy. Not hateful or angry or paranoid, but emotionally unstable.

Oh he's still legitimately crazy. You're just talking about the era before he settled into his weird radio synthesis of morning zoo and apocalyptic televangelism.

No idea how his AV show is these days since he hides it behind a paywall and I don't wouldn't watch it even if it wasn't. Right wing media is for when I'm stuck in my car and out of podcasts to listen to

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

Even in my wildest flights of fancy I would have a hard time tying immigration to Benghazi.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No wait I have it. "Look at what the State Department has come to. It's all about the pan-ethnic liberals at Foggy Bottom, mincing and appeasing. How could they have been so compromised? I'll tell you: the insidious campus influence of Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán."

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Klaus88 posted:

The best part of that quote is how half of those things were set into motion pre-Obama and would have happened anyway.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Knight posted:

If I make jokes about white trash, despite being white, I'm still "punching down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNyN8qNvgc

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Periodiko posted:

edit: Like even the way his show was shot was amazing, because he just rambled around the set aimlessly while the camera men tried to keep up, and he'd just find the camera and stand and speak directly into it. It was vaguely unsettling to watch, even beyond the politics.

I started listening to Beck over a decade ago and the primary reason I still pay attention to him is because it's been entertaining to watch a man willingly and gleefully descend into madness. It isn't a sad case of somebody becoming slowly unhinged and not realizing it. This is a guy that genuinely, seriously, and truly wants to be a paranoid wreck.

I started listening to him because he was funny. Him and Stu got up to some legitimately hilarious antics back in the day. Then he started getting mean and began to view liberals and non-white people as this weird "other" that were clawing at the gates trying to take his precious freedom. Somewhere along the way he decided that the insane fever dream of conservatism was the right thing to be and just ran to the cliff and took a flying leap over the edge.

The guy is legitimately crazy. I hope he gets help some time but he doesn't want to. At all.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Klaus88 posted:

Of course she doesn't. She's a professional troll.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I started listening to Beck over a decade ago and the primary reason I still pay attention to him is because it's been entertaining to watch a man willingly and gleefully descend into madness. It isn't a sad case of somebody becoming slowly unhinged and not realizing it. This is a guy that genuinely, seriously, and truly wants to be a paranoid wreck.

I started listening to him because he was funny. Him and Stu got up to some legitimately hilarious antics back in the day. Then he started getting mean and began to view liberals and non-white people as this weird "other" that were clawing at the gates trying to take his precious freedom. Somewhere along the way he decided that the insane fever dream of conservatism was the right thing to be and just ran to the cliff and took a flying leap over the edge.

The guy is legitimately crazy. I hope he gets help some time but he doesn't want to. At all.

Yeah the weird thing about beck is that he doesn't seem like a bad person when compared to his peers. He's just legitimately losing his mind. That saps a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah the weird thing about beck is that he doesn't seem like a bad person when compared to his peers. He's just legitimately losing his mind. That saps a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Normally I'm sympathetic to people with mental illnesses (I have a major one myself, incidentally) but in Beck's case I just flat out can't have any sympathy for him. I've been listening to him for a very long time and there was a point where he knew he was losing it and just kind of rolled with it. He sounds like he'd be an OK guy to have as a friend or a drinking buddy but politically speaking he's an absolute poo poo. It gets even worse when you realize that he ultimately used his money to absolutely and completely insulate himself from reality deliberately.