Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Comrade Flynn posted:

You people depress me. Jesus christ.
Richie Rich passing through a ghetto. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Wait, are you being serious?

Because if so, I've been meaning to back up my game saves and all that jazz and I have the night off soooo

Yes. I've been running the beta for awhile. It's fantastic. Fixed every issue I had with Windows 8.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm not going to lie. I don't feel sorry for anyone who complains about shopping at Wal-Mart.

You knew what you were getting into :colbert:

(love you kastein :glomp:)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
<sigh>

Wal-Mart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxgwJDZ3MmM
(filmed not very far from where I live really.)

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 11, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Goober Peas posted:

I'm not going to lie. I don't feel sorry for anyone who complains about shopping at Wal-Mart.

You knew what you were getting into :colbert:

(love you kastein :glomp:)

Yeah, I normally would use the tire shop right next to my house or the one right next to my work, but they were on the way to work and open, so I gave em a shot :sigh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

<sigh>

Wal-Mart.

If it makes you feel better, someone was caught loving stuffed horses at the wal-mart 2 miles down the road from me. I've given stuffed animals from that store as presents. :gonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

If it makes you feel better, someone was caught loving stuffed horses at the wal-mart 2 miles down the road from me. I've given stuffed animals from that store as presents. :gonk:

"Someone."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elmnt80 posted:

At least now you know why they smelled funny.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elmnt80 posted:

That's some @_FloridaMan poo poo right there, goddamn. :stonk:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cage posted:

Richie Rich passing through a ghetto. :v:

I always think I'm one or two slip ups away from going back to that life of working in retail hell. I can't even go into a Fry's or Best Buy because it reminds me of working at places like that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BloodBag posted:

Are you on your feet 11 hours a day in a mildly air conditioned, loud, filthy building, 6 days a week? Jobs that drain you mentally are an entirely different ballgame to poo poo that tears your body up. People in office jobs like to romanticize blue collar work. Don't you ever give it up (office work) You hear me? Having a boring, monotonous office job is so much better than being on the shop floor all loving day. Daily I wish I had paid better attention in school so I wouldn't have to deal with this poo poo for such little money. :smithicide:

I blame office space. That movie made digging ditches or construction seem so much better than sitting on rear end loving off in an office all day. No, it isn't

Maybe the biggest reason is its my own business but I LOVE doing my lovely, hard, sweaty, ditch digging, outside job way more than when I worked in an office. I worked on space parts, the EMU for NASA to be specific and Im a huge space nerd so that part ruled. The office setting with its soul sucking florescent lights and the lazy and or idiots that I depended on to get my job done just drove me nuts. gently caress all the politics and gossip and office bullshit I had to go through to get my work done just ruined it for me. Maybe Im just weird and crazy but I could never work in an office type environment ever again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Windows is offering to upgrade from 7 to 10. Should I do it? :smithicide:

I'm going to take the upgrade on my laptop. I'm going to sign up for it, but not install it, on my desktop, just so I can get the free product key. And that leaves me with a valid 8.1 Pro key leftover too - since I snagged an upgrade to 8.1 Pro from Dreamspark for the laptop, and also leaves me with a spare Media Pack product key.

I'd toss it on the desktop, but Microsoft completely strips Windows Media Center out of 10. My desktop is very much my DVR + cable box + TV.

kastein posted:

Tire shops: gently caress walmart, never again. Those assholes got my money for the "lifetime balance" service, then took two and a half hours to dismount 4 old, mount 4 new, and balance, on a loving jeep that'd had the wheels off recently so they weren't seized. It took half an hour before they even brought my crapcan into the empty shop, another hour or so before it was even jacked up, and the rest to lackadaisically mount and balance tires.

I took mom's car there to get the 2nd hand tires on it rebalanced a couple of years ago (Discount wanted nearly twice as much).

Nearly 4 hours later, I get called back to tire and lube.... remember they didn't even have to dismount the tires. Just remove the wheels from the car, rebalance, reinstall.

They did a good job with the balancing, at least.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ok the alternator is on the car and it started right up. But the battery light comes on after 30 seconds. Ugh.

Bad alternator or bad PCM.

... hopefully it's the alternator. Flashing a new PCM to your car means dealer time, or finding someone with a Tech2 that knows how to use it, or finding a tuner who can bypass the VIN check for you. Does the light go back off if you rev it? Do the headlights noticeably dim when the light comes on?

e: check your alternator fuse too, it's in the underhood fuse box. It'll be one of the big ones. It's possible the PCM sees the voltage come up from one terminal on the alternator, then realizes it's not actually making it past the fuse box.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 11, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Get a job working for the Federal Government because you pretty much have to sell secrets to China to get fired.

Which I enjoy since I like not having a looming feeling of "If I gently caress up this paper I'm gonna be out on the street" is really great and I feel like that helps my productivity.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

That's some @_FloridaMan poo poo right there, goddamn. :stonk:

You laugh, but... yeah. :smithicide:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, I never noticed it was the one downtown, not actually the one I go to. I've never been so happy over something so terrible.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 11, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

Wait, are you being serious?

Because if so, I've been meaning to back up my game saves and all that jazz and I have the night off soooo

ugh bugger all

For what it's worth, I've heard the same thing from a couple of people whose opinion i trust.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I like my office job. My office is right in the service drive of a Toyota dealership, and I'm "gently caress this place/gently caress my life" bros with all of the parts guys and service advisors, even though I'm the only one that actually likes my job, because I'm not a parts guy or service advisor. I just wanna fit in :v: If I could sever our Express Lube from the dealership, then I would love my office job.

Also, Wal-Mart chat: A Wal-Mart worker went out for a smoke break like two days ago in the next town over. She got abducted by rifle-point (is that even a word?) and driven pretty much all the way to the other side of the state. She managed to get away, and apparently the guy killed himself before the police could find him. :shrug:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rhyno posted:

<sigh>

Wal-Mart.

:captainpop:

I lost it when I realized one of the women was in a scooter and just hooped off when it started getting physical

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh yea I definitely miss working with the awesome people in my office job which was most of them. The like 10% that were sucky really ruined the whole thing for me since just one of them alone could make my job so much harder but it was never just one, usually the whole 10%.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tide posted:

For what it's worth, I've heard the same thing from a couple of people whose opinion i trust.

Nice

I wonder if all my poo poo will work with it as well as it does with Windows 7.

This is the first time I've been excited for a new Windows operating system in a long time

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I tried the the 10 demo early on, it's loving awesome. Only complaint was that the swipe gestures, while handy and pretty well thought out, don't really jive with an old non-multitouch trackpad. And they've probably smoothed that over by now or at least made it so you can disable the bits you don't like.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm kinda tempted to try it in a VM on my desktop. I don't want to use the developer preview as a main OS simply because I know I'm going to have to do a full reinstall once 10 is RTM.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
My desktop is running win10 and most of my pain points have been smoothed over.

I tried running an upgrade on my laptop and it just hosed everything. Yay for image backups.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've been spoiled by OSX, is there an easier way to back up windows if everything shits the bed?

Oh goddammit I just realized my HDD is almost full and it's a terabyte

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

I'm kinda tempted to try it in a VM on my desktop. I don't want to use the developer preview as a main OS simply because I know I'm going to have to do a full reinstall once 10 is RTM.

I *think* they were aiming to have a preview to RTM process that didn't involve a flatten and reinstall?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Have I mentioned how much retail is obnoxious?

Highlights include:
-5 to 7 batteries installed in the heat (not obnoxious, really, people are generally cool about it; it's just hot as balls is all)

-Person calls the store, "Hi, my a/c isn't working in my car. Can you run a diagnostic on it?" "No, ma'am, I'm afraid we don't do that." "Oh. Do you know what a shop charges for that? I don't want to get taken advantage of!" "Ma'am, I'm afraid I don't (I honestly don't know, if I did I'd be glad to let her know)." "WELL THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!" *click*

-Man comes in smelling of alcohol. Buys license plate screws. I offer him a screwdriver so he can put them on. "Yeah, I ought-tah. Been ridin' around with my license plate on the back seat and I don't wanna get pulled over." "No, sir, they'll give you a ticket for it, ha ha." "Yeah, and I've got a nasty habit of drinking beer."

-Free lunch :toot:

-Being slammed from 6 until 8 meant that those two hours flew the gently caress by quick, which is nice.

-And my biggest pet peeve is this poo poo here. Phone call, "Hi, I want to get a price check on a fuel pump for a 85 Mercedes." "Gotcha. What model Mercedes?" "1985." "Right. What sort of Mercedes is it?" "...A 1985." "...No, is it an E300..." "OHHHh...." Ah yes, the venerable 1985 Mercedes, such a good model - and this happens all the drat time with any make or model car. Before anyone asks, no, it's pretty clear that I understood the year and make. I even repeat it sometimes, for example, "85 Mercedes, what model/type?" and they still, with complete confidence, state, "1985."

There's perks, too, like getting regular customers and helping them get exactly what they need. Or helping Hispanic customers get what they need since I speak Spanish. Honestly, the helping people part is pretty swell, but dealing with alcoholics or ignorant people is tiresome.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My explorer turned into a stock car on the way home from work today.

:stare:

There was roadwork on the highway and it happened when i was accelerating from 40-60 mph. I'm lucky I was able to pull in my driveway without it catching the angle.

Cage fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 11, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cage posted:

Any suggestions? My dad gave me a "back in the day" story about getting a metal soup can and slicing it down the middle and wrapping it up with muffler tape. Worth a shot or take it somewhere?

if you do this, your car will be more of a rat rod than anything you'll find listed as a "rat rod" on craigslist, guarantee it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Pham Nuwen posted:

if you do this, your car will be more of a rat rod than anything you'll find listed as a "rat rod" on craigslist, guarantee it.
You posted before I edited. :shobon: Yeah probably not a good idea. Just pissed off because my mustang is off the road too because of a bad midpipe. There is clearly a curse on me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair, the soup can idea really does work.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Comrade Flynn posted:

I always think I'm one or two slip ups away from going back to that life of working in retail hell. I can't even go into a Fry's or Best Buy because it reminds me of working at places like that.

Serious question, you've reached (at least what I'd consider on the surface) 'success' and have done so for a while. I've currently been in the most amazing 3 1/2 years of my life at my current job and have earned a pretty substantial income in that time. I'm hungry enough to continue to produce what I'm at for as long as I can, which at age 30 I should be able to. What would you attribute the length of your success to?
I'm always interested in finding good mentors/life coaches if they're willing to share some of their tips :shobon:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Ugh. Jalopnik.

We (almost) all hate the site and (almost) all read it.

I have a strong personal distaste for Gawker media but won't go into that here.

40% of their posts are just user polls and Buzzfeed style horseshit. The other 40% are "hey check out this fact/image I found while reading Wikipedia articles for the piece I'm about to post above it, which I also got from Wikipedia." 20%, maybe, is good content, and that's mostly from guest writers - who are all really quite good.

Their good guest writers are Chris Harris, Doug DeMuro, Ghostrider and Tavarish. Chris has an excellent narrative style - he uses a much broader vocabulary than most journalists in a concise and effective way that communicates more detail and nuance. Doug is funny but has ripped off his entire writing style from Dave Barry and the large Jalopnik milennial reading demographic is too stupid (or simply too young, but either way it's their fault) to notice. Ghostrider does the Nice Price or Crackpipe articles and is gold with his subculture references and constant tacky euphemisms. Tavarish has more mechanical skill than anyone else who gets posted to the front page and I appreciate his unflappable enthusiasm - real bootstraps guy.

Sometimes I wonder what TG style show would look like with those guys (Ghostrider is the only one who hasn't done a video), but Chris H would be the obvious one out - superior driving ability, British accent, - it just wouldn't blend. I think Tavarish might be better than Adam Ferrara for TG USA, and perhaps Doug better than Rutledge if he can improvise.

I never read Oppo because there's so much poo poo to wade through and it's hard to find the good stuff, but I know some people here like it - at least according to the sheep game we played a while back.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

1500quidporsche posted:

:captainpop:

I lost it when I realized one of the women was in a scooter and just hooped off when it started getting physical

In what loving world do you just chill and film that for a few minutes?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Yeah, Jalop mostly sucks. Doug Demuro comes off smug and I'm pretty over Chris Harris.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quite A Tool posted:

In what loving world do you just chill and film that for a few minutes?

Welcome to Indiana. I saw a very horrible car wreck last year, pulled over to help and watched a half dozen people pull out their phones to record the carnage.

(Everyone ended up being fine.)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Doug demuro is a daft oval office.
Also I'm a car designer by trade and jalopnik comments made me mad as hell most days when I used to read it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Have I mentioned how much retail is obnoxious?

Highlights include:
-5 to 7 batteries installed in the heat (not obnoxious, really, people are generally cool about it; it's just hot as balls is all)

-Person calls the store, "Hi, my a/c isn't working in my car. Can you run a diagnostic on it?" "No, ma'am, I'm afraid we don't do that." "Oh. Do you know what a shop charges for that? I don't want to get taken advantage of!" "Ma'am, I'm afraid I don't (I honestly don't know, if I did I'd be glad to let her know)." "WELL THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!" *click*

-Man comes in smelling of alcohol. Buys license plate screws. I offer him a screwdriver so he can put them on. "Yeah, I ought-tah. Been ridin' around with my license plate on the back seat and I don't wanna get pulled over." "No, sir, they'll give you a ticket for it, ha ha." "Yeah, and I've got a nasty habit of drinking beer."

-Free lunch :toot:

-Being slammed from 6 until 8 meant that those two hours flew the gently caress by quick, which is nice.

-And my biggest pet peeve is this poo poo here. Phone call, "Hi, I want to get a price check on a fuel pump for a 85 Mercedes." "Gotcha. What model Mercedes?" "1985." "Right. What sort of Mercedes is it?" "...A 1985." "...No, is it an E300..." "OHHHh...." Ah yes, the venerable 1985 Mercedes, such a good model - and this happens all the drat time with any make or model car. Before anyone asks, no, it's pretty clear that I understood the year and make. I even repeat it sometimes, for example, "85 Mercedes, what model/type?" and they still, with complete confidence, state, "1985."

Oh, can I play? Holy poo poo, someone else knows the "counter monkey" experience. Have you ever gotten yelled at because someone came in asking for a part for the (very) wrong model year car, you get it, and they come back a couple hours later super pissed off and yelling to your manager because "this idiot gave me the wrong part" when their shitbox is 3 years newer than the part they asked for? And then get blamed for it? Because I have. Holy poo poo gently caress working at a parts counter.

I guess there was the one time I cut my finger removing a waterlogged turn signal bulb (and having it shatter in my hands, cutting my finger which in turn necessitating a removal of the base with pliers) from the old pickup of an old pizza delivery guy, who later came back with a free big pizza for me for the trouble. :3: 95% of the customers were OK, but there was always that 5% that would totally ruin your day.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I get to work with a lot of people who wear tinfoil hats and swear they're getting hacked and an even larger amount of people who break their phone then claim it's not their fault, it's OUR phone why in gods name would anyone make a phone out of glass and aluminium????

Then they call you a bunch of names until you call mall security and have them escorted out

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Also all the old ladies with naughty pictures on their devices who get mad at you when they leave them open on the desktop when they log back into their MacBook 😬

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BloodBag posted:

Are you on your feet 11 hours a day in a mildly air conditioned, loud, filthy building, 6 days a week? Jobs that drain you mentally are an entirely different ballgame to poo poo that tears your body up. People in office jobs like to romanticize blue collar work. Don't you ever give it up (office work) You hear me? Having a boring, monotonous office job is so much better than being on the shop floor all loving day. Daily I wish I had paid better attention in school so I wouldn't have to deal with this poo poo for such little money. :smithicide:

I blame office space. That movie made digging ditches or construction seem so much better than sitting on rear end loving off in an office all day. No, it isn't

Look at this motherfucker who gets air conditioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tusen Takk posted:

Also all the old ladies with naughty pictures on their devices who get mad at you when they leave them open on the desktop when they log back into their MacBook 😬

They get mad because that's a scummy thing to do. At best.

• Locked thread