Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

sweeperbravo posted:

You're tacky/an rear end in a top hat for having the audacity to believe deaf people don't burst into grateful tears because hearing senpai noticed them

He also told me I needed to find the joy in things instead of being so negative all the time.

He didn't see the irony when I pointed out him sending me a novel of texts berating me for disagreeing with him wasn't exactly a positive thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

MindlessHavok posted:

He also told me I needed to find the joy in things instead of being so negative all the time.

He didn't see the irony when I pointed out him sending me a novel of texts berating me for disagreeing with him wasn't exactly a positive thing.

You missed an opportunity to thank him for spending quality time with you via text. Hey, looking on the bright side right?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

MindlessHavok posted:

Someone posted this on fb and I mentioned how ridiculous it sounded and the guy called me an rear end in a top hat and hasn't stopped texting me what a dick I am.

:saddowns:

E: then he called me tacky
Learn how to do some sign language and text him a pic. Maybe "gently caress you" is appropriate?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

EmmyOk posted:

Left my printer without a passcode. My neighbors sent me a message.

Sure sure buddy

Wouldn't that just motivate the person to have louder sex?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

bobjr posted:

No because they are, young, cool, and hip, and totally "get " memes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

MindlessHavok posted:

Someone posted this on fb and I mentioned how ridiculous it sounded and the guy called me an rear end in a top hat and hasn't stopped texting me what a dick I am.

:saddowns:

E: then he called me tacky

Hahahaha.

"You were mean to a possibly-nonexistent deaf person who you do not know. You're so TACKY." hahahahahahaahahaha

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

bobjr posted:

Maybe the neigbour should print out a sign that says, "DUST YOUR FILTHY HOUSE!"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

ChogsEnhour posted:

Maybe the neigbour should print out a sign that says, "DUST YOUR FILTHY HOUSE!"

More like "STOP MAKING poo poo UP ON THE INTERNET, I DON'T EVEN EXIST"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

Hahahaha.

"You were mean to a possibly-nonexistent deaf person who you do not know. You're so TACKY." hahahahahahaahahaha

That's not even the point I was trying to make to him. The point of charitable actions aren't for you to tell people how super awesome and giving you are, it's about doing something nice for someone else without regard for how it affects you. I told him it was ridiculous for the "person" to post in the way they did and it comes off as fake and self-serving.

Had it been the Uber driver with a post about "hey this cool thing happened today" it's much more believable.

He told me I didn't understand the value of giving and was a heartless person.

I help run a charity that has people dress up as Disney characters and visit terminally ill kids and he's dressed up as a character before at my request.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

MindlessHavok posted:

That's not even the point I was trying to make to him. The point of charitable actions aren't for you to tell people how super awesome and giving you are, it's about doing something nice for someone else without regard for how it affects you. I told him it was ridiculous for the "person" to post in the way they did and it comes off as fake and self-serving.

Had it been the Uber driver with a post about "hey this cool thing happened today" it's much more believable.

I help run a charity that has people dress up as Disney characters and visit terminally ill kids and he's dressed up as a character before at my request.
He's totally negging you.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

Did he then post a novel on social media about how amazing he was as he burst into the room dressed as [character] and the terminally ill child burst into tears of joy thanking him over and over?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
On my way into town this morning I remembered an old :happened: that my friend Steve used to tell anyone that would listen, and being fairly sheltered as a teenager I believed him (up until I found the internet and became a horrible cynic).

Allegedly Steve was driving through rural Georgia when he got pulled over by a state trooper. Steve was a loud, mouthy rear end in a top hat from NYC so while I would not put this beneath him, I highly doubt it's any more than a joke he decided to pass off as something he actually did. Anyway, according to Steve the exchange went like this:

:cop: Evenin', son.
:colbert: Evenin', sir.
:cop: Do you know how fast you were goin' there?
:colbert: Nope.
:cop: Well, you were bookin' a solid 90 back there, son. Nobody goes that fast through my state.
:colbert: (without missing a beat) Sherman did.

At least he had the self-awareness not to tack on AND I GOT OUT OF THE TICKET AND HE FACEPALMED AND WALKED AWAY

Also, my cousin claimed she pulled the "State Troopers' ball" joke on a Texas trooper once, but she's such a genuinely nice person that I don't think she intended anyone to take her seriously. :3:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My mate dressed as Spider-Man for a kid with brain cancer and made the lad promise he'd take his medicine so he'd grow up big and strong like his favourite web slinger. The kid's still in recovery but is doing well.

My mate has never once mentioned this since doing it because he's not human garbage like the people who write these stdh texts*. That's really what sickens me about these stories, y'know. Like, even if they did happen. Even if you did do something really nice why are you trying to validate it as if the act itself wasn't enough. I know people in real life who give to charity and then talk loudly about how much they put in a donation bucket or whatever. It's abhorent.

*Tonight I'll applaud him, burst into tears and marry the dude.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheKennedys posted:

On my way into town this morning I remembered an old :happened: that my friend Steve used to tell anyone that would listen, and being fairly sheltered as a teenager I believed him (up until I found the internet and became a horrible cynic).

Allegedly Steve was driving through rural Georgia when he got pulled over by a state trooper. Steve was a loud, mouthy rear end in a top hat from NYC so while I would not put this beneath him, I highly doubt it's any more than a joke he decided to pass off as something he actually did. Anyway, according to Steve the exchange went like this:

:cop: Evenin', son.
:colbert: Evenin', sir.
:cop: Do you know how fast you were goin' there?
:colbert: Nope.
:cop: Well, you were bookin' a solid 90 back there, son. Nobody goes that fast through my state.
:colbert: (without missing a beat) Sherman did.

Yeah that's from a standup routine

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Grooming The Situation
home | NY, USA | Best Friends, Family & Kids, Spouses & Partners

(My best friend is twenty years older than I, but still very active and a lot of fun. When he asks me to be the best man at his wedding, of course I accept, and I already have a date with my girlfriend that evening when I plan to tell her the good news. But before I can speak:)

Girlfriend: “What are you doing on [date of the wedding]?”

Me: *surprised* “Well, to be honest I’m going to be the best man at a friend’s wedding!”

Girlfriend: “Crap. That was supposed to be a rhetorical question for you to say ‘nothing’ to. You can’t already be booked that far ahead! My father’s getting married that day!”

(My girlfriend only met her father for the first time recently, after she was already an adult, and they’re both trying very hard to form a relationship together. I support her fully in this, so I don’t want her to blow off her father’s wedding for my friend she’s never met.)

Me: “Well, your father doesn’t know me; maybe his wedding is going to be too emotionally charged to be the right time to introduce us? I mean, I’m not abandoning you. If you want me there I can call [Friend] and cancel.”

Girlfriend: “…[Friend]?”

Me: “Yeah, why?”

Girlfriend: “[Friend] [Friend’s last name]?”

Me: “Okay, what the h***?”

(She pulls out her cell phone and hits speed-dial, holding it between us so we can both hear.)

Girlfriend: “Daddy? What’s your best man’s name?”

Voice Over The Phone: “His name’s [My Name], pumpkin. He’s really nice; I promise you’ll like him.”

Girlfriend: “I already do.”

Me: “[Friend]?”

Voice Over The Phone: “[My Name]?”

Me: “HOW DID WE NOT KNOW THIS?!”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

Grooming The Situation

(My best friend is twenty years older than I, but still very active and a lot of fun. When he asks me to be the best man at his wedding, of course I accept, and I already have a date with my girlfriend that evening when I plan to tell her the good news. But before I can speak:)

Me: *surprised* “Well, to be honest I’m going to be the best man at a friend’s wedding!”

Girlfriend: “Crap. That was supposed to be a rhetorical question for you to say ‘nothing’ to. You can’t already be booked that far ahead! My father’s getting married that day!”

(My girlfriend only met her father for the first time recently, after she was already an adult, and they’re both trying very hard to form a relationship together. I support her fully in this, so I don’t want her to blow off her father’s wedding for my friend she’s never met.)

Me: “Well, your father doesn’t know me; maybe his wedding is going to be too emotionally charged to be the right time to introduce us? I mean, I’m not abandoning you. If you want me there I can call [Friend] and cancel.”

(She pulls out her cell phone and hits speed-dial, holding it between us so we can both hear.)

Voice Over The Phone: “His name’s [My Name], pumpkin. He’s really nice; I promise you’ll like him.”

That's layered like a creepy, dark onion.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
stdh.txt : Girlfriend: “[Friend] [Friend’s last name]?”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flosofl posted:

That's layered like a creepy, dark onion.

"Grooming".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

I love when they poke the holes themselves. Hrm indeed how has your girlfriend never met your best friend?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
That story was so dumb I barfed. So are people who write NARs and such former sitcom writers? Because it's Always the same type of "wacky" situations. I expect to hear canned laughter every time I read one and die a little on the inside.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Drunk Tomato posted:

That story was so dumb I barfed. So are people who write NARs and such former sitcom writers? Because it's Always the same type of "wacky" situations. I expect to hear canned laughter every time I read one and die a little on the inside.

Threeeee's company toooooo

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

quote:

School bus

Durham, nc

(I have been sitting on a hot, cramped bus all day and my patience is wearing thin. I glance at the seat next to mine and I see a guy “flirting” with a girl, and she does not appreciate him putting his hands all over her face and in her hair. She has told him to stop many times, and finally I just snap.)

Me: hey, you! Yeah, you! Iris obvious she doesn’t want your greasy hands all overhear face, so if I were you I would respect her and stop. Have you ever seen a girl fight? They go all out, scratching and clawing and pulling hair. So I would not mess with her, she can beat your a** (He kind of sputters at me as if he were suprised I had said that to him, before moving to another seat.)

The saddest bon mot.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

Grooming The Situation

So, basically the plot of Crazy Stupid Love, minus the best man stuff.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Who the gently caress has to "snap" before saying something to someone committing sexual assault in front of them?

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

I was actually going to say that this could work as like, a Seinfeld or Friends plot, but in the era of Facebook, it's not at all plausible.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Double Plus Good posted:

So, basically the plot of Crazy Stupid Love, minus the best man stuff.

Although if the girl's dating a guy 25 years older than her, she might be reluctant to talk about him to her family. Also, Jesus, it also illustrates that she's got major father abandonment issues.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

kizudarake posted:

Although if the girl's dating a guy 25 years older than her, she might be reluctant to talk about him to her family. Also, Jesus, it also illustrates that she's got major father abandonment issues.

Nah, the girlfriend and boyfriend are same age-ish. The boyfriend is best mates with an old guy, (GF's father). An old guy who hasn't mentioned that he recently met his daughter for the first time.

Apart from the creepy obvious, there is also the fact that the father wants to have someone his daughters age as his best man.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Spotted this jewel in another thread, AUG.

From Reddit: Woman dates a neckbeard, and you'll see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/comments/2a091c/slug/ciq9w7o

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

hyperhazard posted:

The saddest bon mot.

Wait so they check stories to remove names but they don't notice super obvious typos?

Also lol at that dude saying "she'll kick your rear end with her womanly devious fighting style."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Khazar-khum posted:

Spotted this jewel in another thread, AUG.

From Reddit: Woman dates a neckbeard, and you'll see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/comments/2a091c/slug/ciq9w7o

Reminds me of that old story about the girl dating that nerd who was so completely obsessed with an obscure pen and paper RPG system.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Fathis Munk posted:

Reminds me of that old story about the girl dating that nerd who was so completely obsessed with an obscure pen and paper RPG system.

I forgot about that until just now. The one where he keeps forcing her to make characters? These kind of stories always feel like poo poo that didn't happen until you meet the right person that makes you realize that people that horrible really can exist.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

jodai posted:

I forgot about that until just now. The one where he keeps forcing her to make characters? These kind of stories always feel like poo poo that didn't happen until you meet the right person that makes you realize that people that horrible really can exist.

Yessssssss that one. Tbh I can believe they happened even though they are probably embellished as all good stories are.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Fathis Munk posted:

Wait so they check stories to remove names but they don't notice super obvious typos?

Also lol at that dude saying "she'll kick your rear end with her womanly devious fighting style."
It's from Unfiltered, which makes "a**" even funnier.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

ChogsEnhour posted:

My mate dressed as Spider-Man for a kid with brain cancer and made the lad promise he'd take his medicine so he'd grow up big and strong like his favourite web slinger. The kid's still in recovery but is doing well.

My mate has never once mentioned this since doing it because he's not human garbage like the people who write these stdh texts*. That's really what sickens me about these stories, y'know. Like, even if they did happen. Even if you did do something really nice why are you trying to validate it as if the act itself wasn't enough. I know people in real life who give to charity and then talk loudly about how much they put in a donation bucket or whatever. It's abhorent.

*Tonight I'll applaud him, burst into tears and marry the dude.

Not to mention that these stories are always so low-effort. Oh you googled something while you were on an Uber ride? WHAT A SAINT, I cannot believe you took your precious car-riding time to do that. You could have been playing Candy Crush instead!

I had a friend who was terminally ill with leukemia but insisted on going to Mexico and building houses with Habitat for Humanity because she just really wanted to do it. When she came back she was exhausted and it made her really sick for a while, but she was so happy she had gotten to help give people houses. I mean she trucked her rear end to another country to do manual labor all day for a couple of weeks, even though she was deathly ill and weak, but that's nothing compared to someone who googles a sign language in a car. She made someone CRY with her thoughtfulness. My friend also didn't make a big deal out of it, or tell anyone unless they asked about where she had been. I have no idea if she made anyone cry, but I wouldn't be surprised since she helped them get a home.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Guys, tonight I went to get groceries at 11pm. The bus driver said "hi!" to me so I said hi back. Got my groceries, then waited for the bus back. It was the same driver. He must have the lovely late night 4 hour long route. He said "hey, you again!" I said "hey!" Then took a seat.

Then, when I was leaving the bus, we again commented at the coincidence of being on he same route twice, together. I told him to have a good night and he literally started crying and had to put the bus in park, because I don't think anyone ever wishes the night bus drivers a good night.

I always wonder just how much embellishment is in these things. Doing a normal thing like saying "hey" turns into "I helped a bus driver not commit suicide!"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Thin Privilege posted:

Guys, tonight I went to get groceries at 11pm. The bus driver said "hi!" to me so I said hi back. Got my groceries, then waited for the bus back. It was the same driver. He must have the lovely late night 4 hour long route. He said "hey, you again!" I said "hey!" Then took a seat.

Then, when I was leaving the bus, we again commented at the coincidence of being on he same route twice, together. I told him to have a good night and he literally started crying and had to put the bus in park, because I don't think anyone ever wishes the night bus drivers a good night.

I always wonder just how much embellishment is in these things. Doing a normal thing like saying "hey" turns into "I helped a bus driver not commit suicide!"

Making a bus driver suicidal only counts if he takes a load of passengers with him over the cliff.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Thin Privilege posted:

So when's the wedding?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So when's the wedding?

As captain of the bus, he performed the wedding right there!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I wished good night to a taxi driver last Sunday. He also gave me 60 cents discount because I didn't have enough change. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I smiled at the bus driver and the bus driver smiled back

• Locked thread