Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A SEXY MISTAKE
Nov 4, 2005

got to make some space
Are we still doing cool miiverse posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I was just on a team where I was the only person with any kills at 3

Thank god the rounds are short

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

A SEXY MISTAKE posted:

Are we still doing cool miiverse posts?

There's always time for miiverse.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

CKyle posted:

Are they pushing out new dialog to the Squid Sisters with the updates? This evening I saw bits about the warehouse and the underpass that I hadn't seen before.

Also, what's with those bells that chime at the end of battles in the dome?
The warehouse has a 'shift closing' alarm, so does the oil rig, the mall makes a chime announcement. I don't think the skatepark has a chime. Port might.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

CKyle posted:

Are they pushing out new dialog to the Squid Sisters with the updates? This evening I saw bits about the warehouse and the underpass that I hadn't seen before.

Also, what's with those bells that chime at the end of battles in the dome?

Sounds like a public alarm chime.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Freshest SquidKid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Holy poo poo. Just loving uhh

22-1, we cap, run it to overtime and win. 0-1 final score. Goddamn that was intense.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Just played on kelp dome as one of 4 aerospray RGs and won. We all had scores of 1100+ except for one jerk who got 1097.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Pro roller tip on Kelp Dome: If you suspect someone is above you, just aim up and shotgun them! For whatever reason it seems to one or two shot people even easier than normal, and almost nobody expects it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nothing like quadra-splatting the entire enemy team with a single kraken jump just as the last 20 seconds hit :unsmigghh:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Icedude posted:

Nothing like quadra-splatting the entire enemy team with a single kraken jump just as the last 20 seconds hit :unsmigghh:

Pulled this this morning and it was glorious.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think my favorite kill was watching my entire team die and saying "gently caress it" as I dropped into the zone on Mall and started spraying the first dude I saw, killing him, then the second, third, and fourth jumped at the same time and I just splatted them all as I made sure to reclaim the zone with 3 seconds left.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I was so hyped for the new map I got disconnected three times in Ranked before quitting! :toot: One more loss and I get demoted.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Poultron posted:

Pro roller tip on Kelp Dome: If you suspect someone is above you, just aim up and shotgun them! For whatever reason it seems to one or two shot people even easier than normal, and almost nobody expects it.

Alternately, if you have more pressing business, just keep rolling. People seem to have a real hard time killing me from up there so long as I can keep moving. I get hit a bunch, but not enough to die. So long as you keep rolling you can basically go wherever and won't have to worry too much about being sniped (except by actual snipers).

This is particularly true in Splat Zone. Keep running rings around the zone and it will be tricky for people to kill you unless they jump down and engage on your level.

EDIT: Of course this may change as people get better. Right now, it seems people really want those top-down kills and are really bad at getting them. Reminds me of those old TF2 updates where some gimmicky new weapon would come out and you'd get a lot of easy points just by playing like a normal person while everyone else flails around with guns they don't know how to use.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 11, 2015

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

Alternately, if you have more pressing business, just keep rolling. People seem to have a real hard time killing me from up there so long as I can keep moving. I get hit a bunch, but not enough to die. So long as you keep rolling you can basically go wherever and won't have to worry too much about being sniped (except by actual snipers).

This is particularly true in Splat Zone. Keep running rings around the zone and it will be tricky for people to kill you unless they jump down and engage on your level.

You're not wrong, but it's not as fun as rolling a dope from below sea level :smug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I usually wouldn't give a crap about sales numbers but Splatoon is actually pushing Wii U sales in Japan, they sold more consoles last week than last week (they sold a whopping 20k!) and it's proportionally doing better than Mario Kart. It still sucks that console gaming is on the way out over there but it's cool to see that Splatoon is a genuine hit.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I honestly wish there was a button to quickly bring up an overlay of the map on the TV screen, just so I could quickly see if anyone is spreading ink behind me. Looking down from the screen to the gamepad just feels awkward.

I'm glad you can't because this is why the map system is real good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please try the inkbrush on the new map. I can easily get 1500+ points in turfwar by flicking paint loving everywhere and even if I get cornered I can hurl a sprinkler over a wall for easy points they can't stop without having to hurry over to it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please try the inkbrush on the new map. I can easily get 1500+ points in turfwar by flicking paint loving everywhere and even if I get cornered I can hurl a sprinkler over a wall for easy points they can't stop without having to hurry over to it.

loving lol, I didn't even consider throwing sprinklers over the wall on this map, holy poo poo

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I usually wouldn't give a crap about sales numbers but Splatoon is actually pushing Wii U sales in Japan, they sold more consoles last week than last week (they sold a whopping 20k!) and it's proportionally doing better than Mario Kart. It still sucks that console gaming is on the way out over there but it's cool to see that Splatoon is a genuine hit.

I've been telling friends to get on the WiiU train for drat near two years at this point, and Splatoon finally pushed three dudes to buy one immediately.

Splatoon ia drat good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I am not good at Kelp Dome. Not at all. Haven't tried Ranked yet, but in Turf War, I just think I'm really making some waves and splatting paint everywhere only to look at the map and see my team getting their asses handed to them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I've yet to win a turf war in the kelp dome and yet to lose a splat zone.

Ranked puts some extra paintable walls leading into the center which is nice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

I am not good at Kelp Dome. Not at all. Haven't tried Ranked yet, but in Turf War, I just think I'm really making some waves and splatting paint everywhere only to look at the map and see my team getting their asses handed to them.

It sounds like it's your team that is not good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

raditts posted:

It sounds like it's your team that is not good.

I think the map is just so spacious that I can be putting in work on one area only to find out that work is meaningless given there are like 9 other factions.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Oh my god you can throw sprinklers over the low walls. The brush can build up the strike super fast and safely.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I hit Fresh 10 and got into Ranked today. Can't say I'm very fond of the all-or-nothing scoring, even if I got a 6 winstreak (9-2 overall) and went straight into Fresh 11. You can have a close match, trading the splatzone back and forth, and if you lose by 1 second you get jack poo poo for your effort. Just not my cup of tea. People are also idiots with inkstrikes, they expect it to push the splatzone on its own, when the other team can just back up and replace the ink as fast as it falls unless you're in position to put extra pressure on them.

Does coins/P earned in splatzone depend on your rank? 1800 is less alluring if you assume you'll only win half the time (my own streak notwithstanding).

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Does coins/P earned in splatzone depend on your rank? 1800 is less alluring if you assume you'll only win half the time (my own streak notwithstanding).

It does. At B you get 3100 for a win by knockout.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I hit Fresh 10 and got into Ranked today. Can't say I'm very fond of the all-or-nothing scoring, even if I got a 6 winstreak (9-2 overall) and went straight into Fresh 11. You can have a close match, trading the splatzone back and forth, and if you lose by 1 second you get jack poo poo for your effort. Just not my cup of tea. People are also idiots with inkstrikes, they expect it to push the splatzone on its own, when the other team can just back up and replace the ink as fast as it falls unless you're in position to put extra pressure on them.

The idea is that if the matches are somewhat even, neither team will actually be able to get the timer down to zero. I've only had a few matches that don't end in a knockout, though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is there some sort of strategy to Ranked Kelp Dome that isn't a spray-and-pray shitfest? I think I really genuinely don't like this map because it seems to reward the same weapons that Turf Wars does in a way no other ranked map really compares to. I can't find a good way to close the gap on walkways and the bottom floor is wide open. I can't seem t find a way to do anything.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It is impossible to strategically play Kelp Dome.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

noirstronaut posted:

Every match I felt was a complete wash.
I used to think it was just really hard to capture the middle area, but the entire splat zone is in No Mans Land and is crazy stupid to capture.

I swear, I went from A- to B today because I tried to figure this thing out. I have nothing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Poultron posted:

The idea is that if the matches are somewhat even, neither team will actually be able to get the timer down to zero. I've only had a few matches that don't end in a knockout, though.

Putting 1300 exp (which isn't an insignificant amount) on the line for a ko victory probably doesn't help.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Either run a Splatter Pro or a Squelcher or just don't play Ranked when Kelp Dome is there. Being on the catwalks will get you killed, and are some of the only ways onto the middle point area. There's no other side way in that they have to watch. You just spray until you win

e: I had two ranked lobbies time out for lack of players, and then I saw all the same guys I just fought in ranked in unranked trying to puzzle this thing out.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 11, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Reiley posted:

Either run a Splatter Pro or a Squelcher or just don't play Ranked when Kelp Dome is there. Being on the catwalks will get you killed, and are some of the only ways onto the middle point area. There's no other side way in that they have to watch. You just spray until you win

I'm playing at the C-ranks, but I had good effect squidding up the ramp to the catwalk and jumping the wall/falling through the grate instead of using the catwalk at all. Drop some ink as you land and you can tuck up to the shelter of the central pillar (shelter from folks on top of it, I mean) right quick. Not gonna stop folks waiting for ya, but if their focus is at catwalk-level you can get out of their way before they catch up.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I find kelp hard because I think its the first map where the golden rule of "Custom Blaster always works" doesn't hold true.
Oh, and here is a the picture of my fresh kid squid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I love Kelp Dome, at least on Turf War. Maybe my second favourite stage so far behind the port.

Especially when you win because the other team completely forget to paint behind their spawn point.

Damone
May 3, 2009

The Gorp posted:

I find kelp hard because I think its the first map where the golden rule of "Custom Blaster always works" doesn't hold true.
Oh, and here is a the picture of my fresh kid squid.
*Snip*

Ha you basically got the exact same load out as me, I got head phones with special duration up instead though. What's up Custom Blaster buddy?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I tend to play late at night with hiragana names so a lot of my Blaster shots end up with me demanding to no one that that was a direct hit.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

noirstronaut posted:

Even without any stat-boosts your ink-grenades should manage to hit that tiny opposite enemy platform snipers usually use when you're on the center or at an angle from below. Even if it doesn't splat them it should get them to move off the platform.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
I've played a good 5 or 6 matches on Kelp Dome now and haven't won a single one, so I kinda hate Kelp Dome. I really hate the walkway. I get splatted by people below if I'm on it, and I get splatted by people above if I'm below it. I never see it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

KelpThunder Dome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHU6K47qgc8

Ladies and Gentlemen.
Kids and Squids.

Dyeing times here.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread