Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sorry, this is actually the Burning Rangers theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Discendo Vox posted:

As someone whose bucket list includes a 100% LP of Shadow, I can attest that monotony is the biggest problem of that game. It has the looseness and interface problems of other sonic games of its generation, but they're not as pronounced- it makes up for it with the endless branching path system.

326 paths through the main game, each one with a unique name taken straight from fanfiction.net. Here's a sample:

Demise Wrought by Tragedy
Turning Sorrow Into Strength
The Liberated Soldier
Stupefaction’s End
Humanity’s Folly
Surpassing All Else
Soldier of Grief
Reclaimed Heart

As a reminder, in order to get the "true ending", you have to play through the game a minimum of 10 times before you can fight the True Final Boss- in practice, small errors will cause you to go to the wrong stage and have to start over multiple times. The game has 22 levels, but in reality one half of them are mostly recolored, rearranged versions of the other half.

I did not know every single combination of levels was its own named path. Holy poo poo. "Punishment, Thy Name is Ruin"

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I would have liked Secret Rings more if you didn't have to gradually upgrade Sonic's abilities to make him tolerable to control. I'm talking really basic stuff like handling and jump distance, it was really stupid.

On the plus side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjUpduiqIys

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I did not know every single combination of levels was its own named path. Holy poo poo. "Punishment, Thy Name is Ruin"

I want to see a theatric reading of all of them, in sequence. "The Coming of the Dark Time". "Induplicable Thoughts".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They are all hilarious and terrible and the game is better for it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Shadow the Hedgehog was Yuji Naka's dream game

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

shadow the hedgehog is the funniest video game ever made

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

As someone whose bucket list includes a 100% LP of Shadow, I can attest that monotony is the biggest problem of that game. It has the looseness and interface problems of other sonic games of its generation, but they're not as pronounced- it makes up for it with the endless branching path system.

326 paths through the main game, each one with a unique name taken straight from fanfiction.net. Here's a sample:

Demise Wrought by Tragedy
Turning Sorrow Into Strength
The Liberated Soldier
Stupefaction’s End
Humanity’s Folly
Surpassing All Else
Soldier of Grief
Reclaimed Heart

As a reminder, in order to get the "true ending", you have to play through the game a minimum of 10 times before you can fight the True Final Boss- in practice, small errors will cause you to go to the wrong stage and have to start over multiple times. The game has 22 levels, but in reality one half of them are mostly recolored, rearranged versions of the other half.

these are the names of my special moves

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whichever motherfucker on Sonic Team was like "Yo, you know what's missing in Secret Rings? A timed stage!" gently caress you. I hope that guy got his rear end fired the day after the game released.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo, did they get Alexi Laiho to name all the stages in Shadow or something? :lol:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Holy poo poo, did they get Alexi Laiho to name all the stages in Shadow or something? :lol:

"The March to a Darker World"

"Purification via Ruination"

"The Nightmare’s Insulation"

"Along With My Home"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I'd like to remind everyone that iirc, Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) was created based on the results of an official online poll that asked "which Sonic character should get their own game?"

So we did this to us.

And it's hilarious.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

There was also a influx of requests for Sonic to use guns. Initially, Gamma from SA1 was meant to satiate those requests, but I guess they just said gently caress it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress you, I never voted for that.

Not my Assassinate the President.

E: hi CIA, please look up a few posts, tia

Dabir fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My arms hurt from finishing Sonic & The Secret Rings. I honestly think this game is worse than 06, because at least 06 did not cause me physical pain.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I was so put off after playing Sonic Heroes that I didn't buy any new Sonic games until Generations. I didn't even know 06 existed until I saw pokecapn's LP of it here.

Lucky escape.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I was so put off after playing Sonic Heroes that I didn't buy any new Sonic games until Generations. I didn't even know 06 existed until I saw pokecapn's LP of it here.

Lucky escape.

I knew of it because I'm a big Zebrahead fan.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xad posted:

I'd like to remind everyone that iirc, Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) was created based on the results of an official online poll that asked "which Sonic character should get their own game?"

So we did this to us.

And it's hilarious.

I voted for the Eggman game. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Veotax posted:

I voted for the Eggman game. :colbert:

So did I. Who doesn't want an Eggman game in the vein of Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius where you build your secret Death Egg lair with your face plastered over it in a jungle and try to set off traps and capture animals to roboticize to fend off the Heroes, while still trying to maintain good diplomatic standards with G.U.N. by saying you're reformed because you don't want Not Important the Hedgehog to come wrecking your base?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Beef Waifu posted:

My arms hurt from finishing Sonic & The Secret Rings. I honestly think this game is worse than 06, because at least 06 did not cause me physical pain.

I warned you Beef!!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just heard the menu music from Secret Rings and had a horrible flashback. Just those first few seconds, over and over and over every time you did anything ever.

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey I was looking for a sonic thread to ask this in - does anyone know what's going on with/if that superfan Sega commissioned to make those Android/iOS/steam 2d sonic ports is working on a Sonic 3 & Knuckles? The Sonic 1/2/CD ports are super good (except for sonic 2 asking me to sign into loving Google+ every time I start it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1cErthI6s

He pitched this, Sega apparently decided not to pursue it.

Maybe there's some weird licencing holdup. It's of note that Sonic 3 and K has never been ported since the initial PC version, only ever emulated (albiet sometimes with weird emulation hacks). Sonic 1 and 2 have had full-blown ports. Emulation might be a different ball of wax in terms of third party contribution licencing, since they can say it's the original product. :shrug:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 11, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I remember liking Secret Rings. I'm not getting the idea that I probably should leave that memory as is and not try and replay the game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I warned you Beef!!!!

You warned him about the stairs, bro. This is completely different.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Macaluso posted:

I warned you Beef!!!!

The pain powers me.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

The terrible final boss where you have to shake like an idiot for 3 minutes is worth it just for that final cutscene. I told you, I'm not a rat.

I recently streamed Secret Rings, Black Knight and Sonic loving Bewm to my friends and I would play every mission in both storybook games rather than look at another second of Sonic boom. I think I would even rather play sonic 06.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Beef Waifu posted:

From Adventure to now playing Secret Rings most of these games are rear end and I am sad they are. Secret Rings however is the only one since Heroes to make me really just want to stop playing, the wii controls are killing me.
It sucks because I actually like SatSR's gameplay besides the motion controls. Black Knight was finally a chance for them to create a SatSR-style game with a control stick but then they ruined it again by adding boring combat to pad out the levels.

God damnit why is Sonic Team so adept at coming really close to making something good but then completely loving it up?

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
A few years ago I remember playing Secret Rings with a friend cause he rented it.

I swear that "MAKE BELIEVES REBORN" or whatever the hell was the menu song is forever stuck into my brain.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is that the one where every time you change between menu screens the music starts over?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I've been hearing about Rodea the Sky Soldier every once in a while, and I just found out recently that it was already released in Japan. As I can tell it's the largest scale game Yuji Naka has worked on since leaving Sonic Team, and people have compared it to Nights into Dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ICmZg-zyGU

From what I've seen (which isn't much) it looks more like they took the final boss super sonic flying segments from 3d sonic games and made a game out of that. In other words it looks disappointing.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

In other words it looks disappointing.

Every Sonic game after '95

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Worst Girl posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog was always mediocre as poo poo, but the loving edge is hilarious, and makes the game worth at least one playthrough.

Like, I'm pretty sure there's a mission where you can Assassinate The President

Yes, there is.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Let's think of happier things for Sonic.

Sonic 2 HD continues to be developed at a slow but sturdy pace., and Freedom Planet is on sale, which is an excellent 16-bit tribute to Sega Genesis classics like Ristar and Sonic.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Woah, Sonic 2 HD is still alive? I thought that project died a couple years ago after some drama with the development team.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

arcsig posted:

Woah, Sonic 2 HD is still alive? I thought that project died a couple years ago after some drama with the development team.

It sort of did, but then a little while after that happened it got revived and they've been slowly making progress on it again lately.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I've been hearing about Rodea the Sky Soldier every once in a while, and I just found out recently that it was already released in Japan. As I can tell it's the largest scale game Yuji Naka has worked on since leaving Sonic Team, and people have compared it to Nights into Dreams.

From what I've seen (which isn't much) it looks more like they took the final boss super sonic flying segments from 3d sonic games and made a game out of that. In other words it looks disappointing.

This game looks like Platform Masters 3D, and that's not good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

From what I've heard, and this is just based off random forum posts, there was originally a Wii game, that was never released anywhere. Then, a 3DS version was made, and this one was released in Japan. The WiiU game (which comes in a package with the never-released Wii game as well) is bizarrely a port of the 3DS version rather than the Wii version, presumably so players wouldn't have to own a Wiimote to play. What this means is A) that it in some ways actually looks worse than the Wii original because of being ported from a really low power machine and B) there's no Wiimote controls in this game that was totally made for Wiimote controls. So basically if you do buy this out of curiosity stick to the Wii version.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Amppelix posted:

From what I've heard, and this is just based off random forum posts, there was originally a Wii game, that was never released anywhere. Then, a 3DS version was made, and this one was released in Japan. The WiiU game (which comes in a package with the never-released Wii game as well) is bizarrely a port of the 3DS version rather than the Wii version, presumably so players wouldn't have to own a Wiimote to play. What this means is A) that it in some ways actually looks worse than the Wii original because of being ported from a really low power machine and B) there's no Wiimote controls in this game that was totally made for Wiimote controls. So basically if you do buy this out of curiosity stick to the Wii version.

Yeah I heard about that, I assume they ported the 3DS version because it used stylus controls. I'm guessing the main reason they never released the original Wii version was because it was so close to the launch of the wiiU when they finished it.

Cicadas! posted:

This game looks like Platform Masters 3D, and that's not good.

Are people actually interesting in Platform Masters as a game, or is just a cult of personality around Ulillillia?

Amppelix posted:

I came across this extremely long and kind of interesting analysis of... well, I'm not sure what it's an analysis of, but it's about Sonic, and it's kind of cool: http://kotaku.com/a-look-inside-the-soul-of-sonic-the-hedgehog-1615891789 (yes, kotaku, whatever, there's also good articles on kotaku)

This article definitely takes Sonic way more seriously than I ever could but it's kind of a refreshing perspective and it's not a sad nerd kind of serious.

It's weird that they focus so much on the Archie comic, since that's so far removed from the games. Admittedly I haven't read much of it, but Sonic the Comic from the UK seemed more in line with Sonic's 'personality' at the time. Rather than trying to make him relatable, they just took the idea of sonic as mascot with an attitude and took it to its logical conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcgKVFVTND8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Squallege posted:

Don't be fooled the DS collection is total garbage

No it isn't...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's weird that they focus so much on the Archie comic, since that's so far removed from the games. Admittedly I haven't read much of it, but Sonic the Comic from the UK seemed more in line with Sonic's 'personality' at the time. Rather than trying to make him relatable, they just took the idea of sonic as mascot with an attitude and took it to its logical conclusion.

It's a really good comic. I'd recommend starting from issue 7 and just reading the ones by Nigel Kitching and Richard Elson.

There's also two series of articles on Sonic Retro called Archie plays the games and Fleetway plays the games, which just focus on how each comic adapted the games' storylines.

There are lots of good moments in StC, like when Knuckles punched Carnival Night Zone clean off the floating island. Also, twice Robotnik winds up on a planet in another dimension, and has already become second in command by the time Sonic has caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Carnival Night story was great - Knuckles is all "I know how to deal with this!" and just punches the ground so hard that the entire corner of the island falls off. Then there was the one where he was dragging the Master Emerald back to the island and winds up in a straight-up parody of a horror film with a bunch of sheep in a creepy English village.

And of course, Archie never had Decap Attack.

• Locked thread