Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

In my case Austria passed two REALLY fast, as in I was wondering if I should just leave the empire with the new Italian decision since they were blowing up. Glad I stayed as Austria lost it to Bohemia and now that a few switched religions, authority is stuck at 0 while I'm crushing anyone attacking Protestants.

Also holy poo poo, Austria (which has been my ally the whole game) joined the protestant league. Never ever seen Austria go protestant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yes. There's a -25 or -50 penalty to other electors voting for you, for each elector you have vassalized. If you have 1 electoral vassal it's a big problem, if you have 4, much less so.

Do vassal electors still gut Imperial Authority?

Sounds like I'll full-annex Brandenburg then release them as a vassal after Austria picks a new Elector then. Is there a rule about how long I have to wait before releasing for the country's relationships to reset?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Thanks, I guess Saxony was just being lazy/stupid :shrug:.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm tempted to get back into EU4 and pick up some DLC, but not all of it appeals to me. If I pick up some random combination like Res Publica, Art of War, and Common Sense, will there be any problems from missing the others? I'm guessing no, but can't hurt to double-check before I spend the money on it.

nah there won't be problems. if I were you I'd spend another $1.25 and pick up Wealth of Nations instead of Res Publica though, the latter is only really for republics now that one of its main features was integrated into Common Sense, whereas unless you never plan on touching extracontinental trade, Wealth of Nations is pretty useful.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Let's pitch weird custom nation starts!

Me first:

Inti Australia, with a western one province neighbor. Wait until you've fully reformed the Inti faith and westernize off your buddy. You'll be accumulating a ton of admin/diplo/military points that you can sink into developing your nation with reckless abandon. Inti have a ton of events that raise the base tax of your provinces and if you want to get even weirder... Set your government type to English monarchy. By the time you're in a spot to westernize, you'll have the richest territories in the world a hundred times over.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

I actually had Bohemia pass -everything- (well, Austria passed the first 2 or so), and even retained basically all of Germany (no Brandenburg or
Austria, but a gigantic almost solid blob elsewhere).

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hesse passed one reform really quickly, but has more recently been sitting on 100 authority without doing anything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's the mid 1600's, I as cuzco have westernized and taken a bunch of Portal's colonial land now I can see the world. Europe is... interesting. GB formed very early and have Ireland and scotland and part of western france. Burgundy and Brittany are both about the same size as france, which is nearly landlocked other than one port. Bohemia is big, COMMONWEALTH formed and is absolutely massive and expanding east. Spain formed very early too and are allies with GB, so both my colonial adversaries in south america are allies and the two top countries.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Are the unique buildings like the Embassy or War College gone? I'm hurting for an extra diplomat and am disappointed at the apparent lack of an Embassy to build.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mountaineer posted:

Are the unique buildings like the Embassy or War College gone? I'm hurting for an extra diplomat and am disappointed at the apparent lack of an Embassy to build.

They are gone for ??? reason.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Those times that you're leading the protestant league and France, Bohemia (as emperor) Aragon (more like Spain), Russia and the Ottomans are all on the Catholic side. Been at half power vs them all for years and the only saving grace is having Switzerland as a vassal with a bunch of mountain fortresses wasting all their manpower. Going almost all mercenary is the only thing that lets me keep going.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Saxony usually has problems passing reforms due to the weak emperor malus to votes.

Also AI France usually gets curbstomped by England and Burgundy now, but as a person, France is maybe stronger now than they were before. This is the state of the union at 1466.

Brittany is my vassal, my allies are Pope, Austria, Castille. Austria and Castille have been fairly useless, joining a total of 0 of my wars so far. I have a coalition forming, but I'm about to press my claims and conquer all of Naples in one or two wars.

Wish me luck.

EDIT: oh, and put your focus on administrative right off. You really need the points nowadays.

I'm hoping that without the Diplo sink of annexing a ton of vassals, I can just colonize really early while also warring in Europe.

EDIT2: Does France get any interesting events for staying Catholic or am I free to convert whenever I want?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 11, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was surprised to see that Hamburg is now richer than Lubeck and I'm pretty sure it's actually the richest province in Germany proper now. I guess this will probably make starting as Hamburg less difficult, though since vassals now have nerfed force limits compared to independent states it might actually be harder.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
30 years war is pretty crazy now but with awesome fort mechanics. If not for forts I don't think I could have went off against France, Spain, Ottomans, and Russia all at once. Even then it was almost 30 years straight of war going from losing horribly to slowly winning.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Russia seems pretty hilarious nowadays, the Disaster system means you'll never face the Time of Troubles because Stability is so easy to keep from being negative and now they also have the Western Focus -decision which allows a free westernization if you have a core and no separatism in either Wien, Prague or Gdansk/Danzig.

And while Wien and Prague are pretty tricky to get to since they're in the heart of HRE, getting to Gdansk is no trouble at all once Russia starts doing Russia things since it's a Polish coastal city. Brutally expensive to core of course but I never found myself particularly starved for points.

Also Russian-Scandinavian Alliance for life, not much can stand against this duo.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I did an Ironman game starting as Tyrone and luckily managed to get in a good position where I had all of Ireland. During this I noticed that any nation that had a favorable view of me would get a defensive attitude towards me the second we became allies. This was true for nations that were neutral towards me as well. In one weird instance England kept pestering me for an alliance and as soon as I accepted they went hostile. Castille, England, France, Aragon, Burgandy, Denmark, Sweden, The Papal States, Venice, and Portugal all got defensive towards me upon becoming my ally. I don't play European nations often but I'm fairly sure that's not how it's supposed to work. Is it some sort of weird rivalry thing where they notice I'm allied to a rival (although some of them I wasn't) or is it a bug? I don't think any of those nations had anything to fear from a five province Tyrone.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Shoot. Brandenburg game is going well, allied Austria early on to help with TO and Poland. Burgundian Inheritance fires and Austria inherits all the land, then they got a PU over Hungary. Not 5 mins ago Austria gets a PU over France.
I don't like where this is heading, they're still allies now but this could get problematic.

Is there any easy way to get a nation to lose PUs?

*edit*

...aand now I'm the Emperor

unicr0n fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 11, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wrote a dev diary about the upcoming hotfix and also why there will always be bugs on the launch of an expansion.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Wiz posted:

I wrote a dev diary about the upcoming hotfix and also why there will always be bugs on the launch of an expansion.

Anything on the notification issues? For example advisors in the pool dying is impossible to tell apart from hired advisors dying since they both give the same notifications, and protecting trade gives the "unit arrived in province" notification constantly if you have it enabled. The latter is especially annoying since knowing when troops arrive at a province is really useful during wartime but it's unusable if you're protecting trade due to the spam.

Aside from that DLC has been pretty great and it's good to see the bigger bugs getting fixed already.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I like the new "Does the devs even play the game?" thread. I'm closing in on 10 000 hours total of Paradox game time. My goal during my vacation is to finally break that. But you know, I totally don't play the games.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Wiz posted:

quote:

Fixed a bug where the AI would declare suicidal wars due to incorrectly calculating defensive call acceptance
- Fixed a bug where the AI would continously march back and forth between two provinces in a fort's ZoC
Lowered cost of diplomatic annexation from 10 to 8 dip points per development (since there's more ways to decrease adm cost)

Thank you. Might have missed it but when are you hoping this hotfix to be done by and go live?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

ukle posted:

Thank you. Might have missed it but when are you hoping this hotfix to be done by and go live?

He said today or tomorrow.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ukle posted:

It's literally bolded directly above the notes. :v:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Groogy posted:

I like the new "Does the devs even play the game?" thread. I'm closing in on 10 000 hours total of Paradox game time. My goal during my vacation is to finally break that. But you know, I totally don't play the games.

And it's all Deus Vult.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

You are very cool my man

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

TTBF posted:

I did an Ironman game starting as Tyrone and luckily managed to get in a good position where I had all of Ireland. During this I noticed that any nation that had a favorable view of me would get a defensive attitude towards me the second we became allies. This was true for nations that were neutral towards me as well. In one weird instance England kept pestering me for an alliance and as soon as I accepted they went hostile. Castille, England, France, Aragon, Burgandy, Denmark, Sweden, The Papal States, Venice, and Portugal all got defensive towards me upon becoming my ally. I don't play European nations often but I'm fairly sure that's not how it's supposed to work. Is it some sort of weird rivalry thing where they notice I'm allied to a rival (although some of them I wasn't) or is it a bug? I don't think any of those nations had anything to fear from a five province Tyrone.

Defensive attitude does not mean afraid of you. It means they are allies, but they don't plan on helping you in offensive wars because your interests don't meet up with theirs + you are too weak. If they were scared of you it would be "threatened" not defensive.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's funny seeing everyone say that France always falls apart now. I'm around ~1620 in my Russia game and it might be the blobbiest game I've ever played/seen. France not only survived but managed to expand and controls basically all of western europe except for Spain, which is controlled by Spain/Portugal. To the right of France is a giant Hungary, who is allied with a Commonwealth who now takes up literally half of Europe after swallowing up every small nation surrounding them and blocking me off because I'm too slow/conservative/bad and didn't manage to take any lands before they formed a huge roadblock into Europe for me. Scandanavia is owned entirely by Norway who used my wars against Denmark and Sweden to push both out. England swallowed up everyone on the islands and has formed a solid GB. The Ottomans have spread out in literally every direction and control lands from right below Hungary, down to way south of Egypt. They'd be expanding east as well if it wasn't for a gigantic Timurid blob, which is allied and sitting next to an equally gigantic Oriat blob, which is sitting right above an equally gigantic Ming blob. Then of course there's me above them all stretching out and taking up all the Siberian provinces.

The only places that don't seem to be stable super blobs/alliances are the HRE which is just now starting to collapse and India, which seems to have stayed relatively similar to how they start, at least in terms of # of nations and relative strength. Has still been a pretty fun game though thanks to a lot of the blobs going to war with each other and basically trading vassals/allies back and forth like Pogs. Poor Golden Horde got flipped back and forth between like 4 different nations before I finally swallowed them up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

VDay posted:

It's funny seeing everyone say that France always falls apart now. I'm around ~1620 in my Russia game and it might be the blobbiest game I've ever played/seen. France not only survived but managed to expand and controls basically all of western europe except for Spain, which is controlled by Spain/Portugal.

I mean, even a lovely country like Theodoro occasionally wins out against Crimea, so I don't know how France winning in a single game surprises you. But I'm willing to say that unless Burgundy declares on England for Calais early on, the simultaneous wars with both England and Burgundy usually beats France. It's happened in about 5 of the games I've started so far out of 7.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

Defensive attitude does not mean afraid of you. It means they are allies, but they don't plan on helping you in offensive wars because your interests don't meet up with theirs + you are too weak. If they were scared of you it would be "threatened" not defensive.

Ok that makes more sense. I guess I was interpreting it very incorrectly.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I think if I was naming that Attitude I'd call it like "Fairweather" or something - the two names we've had so far (Cordial and Defensive) have been a bit confusing.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Kanfy posted:

It's literally bolded directly above the notes. :v:

God dammit, I blame the heat for destroying my ability to read.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Freudian posted:

I think if I was naming that Attitude I'd call it like "Fairweather" or something - the two names we've had so far (Cordial and Defensive) have been a bit confusing.

Defensive pact might work. Or even explain it in a pop up.
"Views alliance as a defensive pact"
"Will help you however they can"
"Alliance of convince, fair weather friends"

Type thing. This may already be a thing but I think defensive allies shouldn't call you into all their lovely wars unpess they are willing to go into yours. Unless rivals are involved of course.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wiz posted:

This was a really good post/development diary. I get the sense that most of the crazier posters over there have never worked in software development because you're right, there are always bugs, it's just a question of how easy they are to spot. Also, I have no idea how you guys got a hot fix ready only 3 days after release but that's awesome. Thanks!

Question though. You said you guys saw 20k active players on Tuesday night. Is that the most you've ever seen at once?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Defensive pact might work. Or even explain it in a pop up.
"Views alliance as a defensive pact"
"Will help you however they can"
"Alliance of convince, fair weather friends"

Type thing. This may already be a thing but I think defensive allies shouldn't call you into all their lovely wars unless they are willing to go into yours. Unless rivals are involved of course.

But joining their wars increases trust, which moves them from Defensive to Friendly, right? What's the easiest way to go from Defensive to Friendly?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

But joining their wars increases trust, which moves them from Defensive to Friendly, right? What's the easiest way to go from Defensive to Friendly?

Joining their wars and increasing trust is the easiest way.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can someone tell me why I would want to use privateers instead of protect trade and what the difference between them is?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I find people are generally friendly if we have common rivals and are roughly equal in power. After that point I usually backstab them so I don't know how sustained alliances work

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Can someone tell me why I would want to use privateers instead of protect trade and what the difference between them is?

I pretty much just use Privateers for Power Projection so I'm not an expert, but I think a big part of it is that you can use Privateers on nodes you can't transfer from (meaning you'd otherwise have no way to get money from there).

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

cheesetriangles posted:

Privateers are for somewhere not relevant to your own trade interests where you can gently caress up your enemies (both by reducing their trade income and, I think, through siphoning off any treasure fleets they might recieve). Basically spite: more useful in MP than SP, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Emperor being forced to revoke reforms is one of those amazing changes that should have been bolded in the patch notes.

• Locked thread