Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was that Carman asking us to trib with him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRV6Mpm6cw

I love the 70s Italian satan who can make people's clothes fly off like Scott Baio in Zapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Depictions of Satan in "Christian" Productions intercut with depictions of Satan in "Secular" Productions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKmdDkl_QI

Al Pacino was really great in The Devil's Advocate. I feel like it's one of his last roles before he stopped giving a poo poo (maybe Merchant of Venice is the only one after this). Though really I wish more of the movie was like the last 20 minutes.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

I love the 70s Italian satan who can make people's clothes fly off like Scott Baio in Zapped.

Ha! I remember Carman. This music video is a favorite of mine. Because the implication that God and Satan are the same guy. Not on purpose of course. Still funny though.

Incidentally, I remember reading that Carman had cancer in the mid to late 00s. He's evidentially better though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm really sad that this thread has almost no mention of Revelation Road. That series is so bonkers. It literally begins with a mild-mannered gun salesman roving around an apocalyptic wasteland until he finds a gun shop run by a man who won't do business unless he finds Jesus Christ. Bad Guys show up led by Thor,and the mild-mannered gun salesman wakes up to realize hey he is in a gun store and he has a truckload of guns, because Jesus made him a lousy salesman just to go and kill bikers.

They go downhill rapidly but the first one is worth a good thirty minutes at least.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rev Road is a great series. 3 is the best but the others make the insane action movie payoff even better.

The series should all be on the Pure Flix streaming service. It's a gold mine of David AR White and weird low budget fodder.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel sorry for the bear.

And the Chinese.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

"Who are the Chinese: Like are they Lizards or Ghosts or Something?" is the third installment in our ongoing series, Fundamentally Misunderstanding Other Cultures Made Easy

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
*movie employs no actual Chinese persons as writers, consultants, actors, caterers, or in any other capacity.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So, uh, who are the Chinese? Like what's that one about?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So, uh, who are the Chinese? Like what's that one about?
I actually looked up that PureFlix thing and looked up those videos out of curiosity. They're all (presumably) real, and here are there official descriptions:

quote:

Winslow the Christmas Bear
A classic children's story that combines whimsy and fantasy with real life animals in their true environment. The songs and the music, along with the storybook approach, literally make this tale come alive for children as they learn, along with Winslow, that Christmas is love.

quote:

Who Are The Chinese?
Is there evidence for ancient biblical origins in the Chinese culture? Who are the Chinese seeks to answer these absorbing questions as it provides insight into one of the most ancient civilizations on earth. Who are the Chinese? is a film that takes you into the deep cultural and spiritual roots of the Chinese people. Filmed in six locations across the world, this production provides those searching for the roots of Chinese history a well-researched documentary with some intriguing surprises.

quote:

TRUTH about Dinosaurs
Many Christians don‘t have sufficient answers when it comes to the topic of dinosaurs and how they fit with biblical history. T.R.U.T.H. about the Dinosaurs puts an end to that problem in this educational and entertaining documentary.

quote:

FootPrints
Footprints is based on the true story of a man who finds the healing power of love only after he lost everything he had valued and given up. It is a true story of a dog who learned to trust and serve only after she'd been abused and then discarded as worthless. It is the true story of a journey the two of them took that neither knew would bring them together. But God did. Through His guidance, a man and a dog experience the transformation of being unwanted to becoming cherished. And in the process, they impact lives around them in ways only God could have imagined

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That Chinese thing sounds like something I saw a bit of years ago in passing. A guy was showing off written Chinese characters and interpreting that they had origins in the Christianity.

I can't remember anything specific and this is a made up example to describe what they were doing: They'd show maybe a character for something like 'rice' and explaining, "Well, that looks like a cross, doesn't it...?" and go and interpret how they were connected from there.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

JediTalentAgent posted:

That Chinese thing sounds like something I saw a bit of years ago in passing. A guy was showing off written Chinese characters and interpreting that they had origins in the Christianity.

I can't remember anything specific and this is a made up example to describe what they were doing: They'd show maybe a character for something like 'rice' and explaining, "Well, that looks like a cross, doesn't it...?" and go and interpret how they were connected from there.

How do they explain Chinese civilization and culture existing for longer than Christianity has been around? Hell, for longer than JUDAISM has been around?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How do they explain Chinese civilization and culture existing for longer than Christianity has been around? Hell, for longer than JUDAISM has been around?

Closest thing I find on first google.
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Chinese_characters_and_the_Bible

edit
Example from link:
" For instance, 口 can refer to mouths, numbers of people (as in how many mouths there are to feed), or even holes or caves. Biblical literalist analyses add to this "breath" in order to support an assertion that 園 'garden' contains a reference to God breathing life into Adam."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That dinosaur title is weird. I wonder if they can't legally call what they're saying "truth" when it is objectively wrong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That dinosaur title is weird. I wonder if they can't legally call what they're saying "truth" when it is objectively wrong.

Here's the whole thing on youtube, if you dare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcsOdXlQhTM

I got halfway through the opening credits.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Closest thing I find on first google.
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Chinese_characters_and_the_Bible

edit
Example from link:
" For instance, 口 can refer to mouths, numbers of people (as in how many mouths there are to feed), or even holes or caves. Biblical literalist analyses add to this "breath" in order to support an assertion that 園 'garden' contains a reference to God breathing life into Adam."

Boy, that sure is a reach right there, yes sir.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Look up the character for "plan". Phone posting so I can't put it myself.

To use an animu meme, "all according to keikaku* *keikaku means plan."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jack Gladney posted:

quote:

His house was filled with every occultic symbol you could fathom: hanging pentagrams, horoscope signs, a Ouija board and Dungeons and Dragons game set on the table, a crystal ball with an incandescent shine.

poo poo guys. He's describing my house. Am I secretly the devil?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's a shame that Chinese documentary just talks about someone's pet conspiracy theory because the actual history of Christianity in China is pretty interesting.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mordiceius posted:

poo poo guys. He's describing my house. Am I secretly the devil?

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing himself he didn't exist. :aaa:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Xibanya posted:

Look up the character for "plan". Phone posting so I can't put it myself.

To use an animu meme, "all according to keikaku* *keikaku means plan."

計画通り

You see, there's a mouth and four lines and a cross. That is humans as we are below the holy trinity and the cross is obvious about how we are united and become part of it by the sacrifice of Jesus.
What does the next look like to you? That's right, the image of a cross wrapped up and opening a closed tomb from within.
Finally, the next image, the character associated with movement, transitioning...

Keikaku means plan, indeed.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 12, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Decided to watch the Revelation Road on thread's advioce and it looked sort of rough, for a minute I was worried my old pal David A.R. White might not show up, but then he did because he apparently doesn't sleep and is just a homeless man who wanders around from Christian film set to Christian film set all day every day.

Mother fucker is prolific!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Revelation Road is like, ALMOST sort of cool. It's really, really trying it's precious little heart out trying to be a cool badass christian movie and not be the regular boring old bible pic, and it's just constantly teetering on the edge of engaging mroe than this genre ever does.

Also what is Ray Wise's loving deal? He killed Laura Palmer and seems ot split his time now between Christian movies and Tim & Eric. It's really strange to see the Shrim man preaching about Christ instead of the healing power of young boys shits.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Various Christian missionaries in China throughout the centuries have tried to argue that China originally worshiped the monotheistic Abrahamic god in prehistoric times as a workaround to Christianity being seen as a foreign religion and thus persecuted by the Chinese state. So it's not uncommon to see arguments that Huangdi or Tian is actually Yahweh, and the rest of the pantheon was/is corruptions accumulated over time. At least not from the kind of people who make these movies

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Also what is Ray Wise's loving deal? He killed Laura Palmer and seems ot split his time now between Christian movies and Tim & Eric. It's really strange to see the Shrim man preaching about Christ instead of the healing power of young boys shits.

He's a fully committed actor who will be in anything that pays.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's a shame that Chinese documentary just talks about someone's pet conspiracy theory because the actual history of Christianity in China is pretty interesting.

See this would actually make for a pretty decent documentary. I kind of like the idea of ancient civilizations interacting with one another in ways you wouldn't necessarily think about. However, this would have to be done by a competent historian/doc team and I got the feeling that "Who are the Chinese" is probably none of those.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was a dumb-as-poo poo history channel special about the possibility that Jesus went east to meet the Buddha as a teenager and that's why the gospels just describe his birth and his 30s. This was possibly a moonie thing as the unification life church has just purchased the history channel at that time.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Jack Gladney posted:

Holy poo poo this is a must watch. You can literally skip to any section and laugh your rear end off. These guys are the physical embodiment of the "why can me a dog speak English" meme.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

There was a dumb-as-poo poo history channel special about the possibility that Jesus went east to meet the Buddha as a teenager and that's why the gospels just describe his birth and his 30s. This was possibly a moonie thing as the unification life church has just purchased the history channel at that time.

There's a manga about this and it owns

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I might just be reallys toned, but a little over halfway into revelation road 2 and honestly, this is probably the best Xian movie I've ever seen. it gets needlessly preahy sometimes, but it's shot nicely enough. the first one suffered from the fact that the rapture happened in the last 10 minutes, and really you can almsot skip it but you'd miss Ray Wise.

The White's bootleg Jesus-ey supersoldier wandering the psot rapture wasteleand isn't anything fancy but it's ok enough. The film makers are actually doing a lot to try to flesh out the biker antagonists. It's actually half decent storytelling. It's like an above average TV movie with occasional bizarre talk of Jesus.

tbh I'm a little let down it's so competent because I was coming for badness and bulldada.

So has everyone else liked David A.R. White on Facebook yet? We sure watch enough films he's in.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Lamb was a good book, and like the only thing I've ever seen that called Jesus Joshua. Everybody read Lamb, The Gospel of Biff.

Also, What's the general Evangelical reaction to Les Miserables? Mainly the musical, which is Christian as gently caress. It literally ends with the main characters in heaven singing about how awesome the second coming will be.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jack Gladney posted:

My god, this thing is incoherent. It just jumps around with no clear purpose or direction and wastes so much time that as an adult who can watch a film like Lawrence of Arabia, I lost the ability to focus on this. I can't imagine a child being more successful.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wapole Languray posted:

Also, What's the general Evangelical reaction to Les Miserables? Mainly the musical, which is Christian as gently caress. It literally ends with the main characters in heaven singing about how awesome the second coming will be.

I remember the script of the movie had the ending scene be an older Marius and Cosette taking part in the successful 1848 revolution with that presumably being the better day they were singing about, and was disappointed when I saw the film and they completely scrapped that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, I mean everybody knows that Jesus went to Britain.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

I recall that was a big theory in the 60's and 70's, though I find it unconvincing. Any Buddhist concepts integrated into early Christianity are more easily explained by the cultural contact resulting from trade than one man going on a hippie style spiritual journey.

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I mean everybody knows that Jesus went to Britain.

He had a layover on his way to bury some golden plates in North America.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

Wapole Languray posted:

Definitely Christian, but way more Catholic than evangelical. There's far too much premarital/extramarital sex/swearing in it for evangelicals, Fantine is presented way too sympathetically (anything evangelical would require her to be way more sorry about the whole premarital sex thing), and Catholics are the heroes of the story--Valjean's entire arc is set in place by the bishop, not to mention the role that the nuns play in helping him and Cosette.

If you look for Les Miserables reactions from Catholics, you mostly get blog entries and articles about how the Christian/Catholic themes in it are really great and well done. If you look for reactions from evangelicals, the reaction is more mixed--in some cases you get people praising it; in others, you get poo poo like this. (In fact, some evangelicals actually think Les Mis is explicitly pro-Catholicism, anti-Protestantism--with Valjean representing Catholicism and Javert representing Protestantism.) This probably isn't terribly surprising, given that Les Miserables's relationship to religion is moderately more complex than, say, Left Behind or God's Not Dead, and evangelicals prefer as little complexity as possible in their Christian messages.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't have the heart to watch the whole thing, but I assume they scrubbed the really racist scene in there, since it used to be hosted individually on their Youtube page, but is now set to Private. Two (white) guys dressed up as really racist caricatures of a Chinese and an Indian man (complete with "me so solly" and Apu accents) to talk about fossils. The clip seems to be lost, but I found screencaps:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shama Lama and Dhing Dong. I get it, racist movie makers, I see what you did there. :suicide:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Professor Shama Lama looks a bit like a will forte character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

raditts posted:

Shama Lama and Dhing Dong. I get it, racist movie makers, I see what you did there. :suicide:

And now I have that loving song stuck in my head, thanks a lot fundy Christian.

• Locked thread