Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
"holistic treatments" :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
"holistic", "natural", "organic", and "sustainable"are words that have been mangled beyond recognition by stupid hipsters

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Not hipsters, older urban liberals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaB9JxAU_wI

Those people.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaB9JxAU_wI

Those people.

Older urban liberals are indistinguishable from overly old hipsters.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

blowfish posted:

"holistic", "natural", "organic", and "sustainable"are words that have been mangled beyond recognition by stupid hipsters

Did 'holistic' ever even have a meaning beyond being woo peddled by scam artists to begin with?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Yeah I think the snake oil poo poo didn't show up until the 1960s-70s

Sir Tonk posted:

Older urban liberals are just hipsters + age

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 9, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

Did 'holistic' ever even have a meaning beyond being woo peddled by scam artists to begin with?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holism

'The term "holism" was coined in 1926 by Jan Smuts, a South African statesman, in his book Holism and Evolution.'

It's the odd place where the best and worst human conceptions emerge - all is one, everything has its place. Most people never even try to really let go of their individual biases.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
The Bilderburg Group meeting starts tomorrow, they've gone with a classic mix of high tech, military and old school Zionist for the older conspiracist this year.

You've got Eric Schmidt and the head of Google DeepMind atttending, a little hat tip to those who like a little mark of the devil/global microchiping/RFID/AI in their theory soup.

General Petraeous for your more straight forward military dictatorship types. I think he's going to be a big hit with Jade Helm going on at the moment. Maybe a thoery that he's reporting on how well the take over of Texas is going.

And of course Kissinger will be there, representing the Zionist Paedophile Reptoids of the Lower 4th Dimension for your classic NWO anti-semites. You can't forget who got you here.

It's being held high in the Austrian Alps for that extra hint of Nazi and esoteric flavour.

Should be a good one

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

McDowell posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holism

'The term "holism" was coined in 1926 by Jan Smuts, a South African statesman, in his book Holism and Evolution.'

It's the odd place where the best and worst human conceptions emerge - all is one, everything has its place. Most people never even try to really let go of their individual biases.

Christ. When a term has been so badly misused that I had no idea it ever had a legitimate meaning to non-crazy people, that's sad. I've never once heard 'holistic' be used outside the context of people trying to sell bullshit to morons so it really did just seem like a term that was coined specifically for that purpose.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

There's also whacky biologists, particularly ecologists vitalists crawling out of the trash heap of scientific history who insist that understanding biological processes as the interaction between many, many simple molecules and circuits (see e.g. systems biology and synthetic biology) is fundamentally wrong, rather than merely difficult.

What I mean to say is that when you read "holistic", chances are you should read it as "magical" or "I can't be bothered to think because thinking is hard"

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 10, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

blowfish posted:

There's also whacky biologists, particularly ecologists vitalists crawling out of the trash heap of scientific history who insist that understanding biological processes as the interaction between many, many simple molecules and circuits (see e.g. systems biology and synthetic biology) is fundamentally wrong, rather than merely difficult.

It sounds like mentioning things like corals or siphonophores would break these people's minds.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Everybody gets sick. It's a fact of life. Maybe we all don't get horrifying life-long illnesses where we consider a day we didn't puke a good day but really we all get ill sometimes. We all deal with fatigue sometimes. Some days we just don't sleep right. Sometimes we get mild cases of food poisoning that makes us feel all "meh" for a while. That's just life; it has its ups and downs. Welcome to Earth, it kind of sucks here in a lot of ways. So it goes.

But some people think that that means something is wrong with them. Most of us aren't complete idiots and understand that spending a day spraying liquid poo poo into a toilet every now and again is normal. Most of understand that nothing is wrong with us if we're bed ridden for two days because of some bug. Most of us get that if we get a cold we'll sneeze a lot and feel icky for a week.

Some people come down with minor illnesses and loving panic. Then their doctors say "no nothing is wrong with you go home, sleep a lot, and quit bothering me I have real medical things to deal with. Other people are in their 40's and have nothing actually wrong with them but feel age creeping up. Some people think they would be Superman if it weren't for some medical condition holding them back but don't have a medical condition to blame. Other people are in god awful health because their eating habits are horrid. Of course a doctor is going to say "exercise more, quit eating poo poo all day, and maybe sleep eight hours in a night for once."

This is where the snake oil salesmen come in. "Oh your doctor says nothing is wrong with you?" they'll ask. "Well of course they would, they want you to come in for that yearly checkup because they don't want you to feel good. If they fix your problems you won't come back next year now will you? Yeah they want you to be sick and feel awful. I don't. Here, take this magic potion and all your problems will vanish. How does it work? Well, energies remove toxins from your body. If you don't feel better you just need more."

The placebo effect is real. It's loving bizarre but it exists. Whereas a doctor is saying "no you're fine" somebody is saying "here take this!" Then you take it and you feel better. Happier. It must be the doctor that is lying! I paid $75 to see him and all that happened was a nurse weighed me then the doctor asked me some questions and sent me on my way. They didn't do anything! I know I'm sick, gently caress that doctor.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 10, 2015

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everybody gets sick. It's a fact of life. Maybe we all don't get horrifying life-long illnesses where we consider a day we didn't puke a good day but really we all get ill sometimes. We all deal with fatigue sometimes. Some days we just don't sleep right. Sometimes we get mild cases of food poisoning that makes us feel all "meh" for a while. That's just life; it has its ups and downs. Welcome to Earth, it kind of sucks here in a lot of ways. So it goes.

But some people think that that means something is wrong with them. Most of us aren't complete idiots and understand that spending a day spraying liquid poo poo into a toilet every now and again is normal. Most of understand that nothing is wrong with us if we're bed ridden for two days because of some bug. Most of us get that if we get a cold we'll sneeze a lot and feel icky for a week.

Some people come down with minor illnesses and loving panic. Then their doctors say "no nothing is wrong with you go home, sleep a lot, and quit bothering me I have real medical things to deal with. Other people are in their 40's and have nothing actually wrong with them but feel age creeping up. Some people think they would be Superman if it weren't for some medical condition holding them back but don't have a medical condition to blame. Other people are in god awful health because their eating habits are horrid. Of course a doctor is going to say "exercise more, quit eating poo poo all day, and maybe sleep eight hours in a night for once."

This is where the snake oil salesmen come in. "Oh your doctor says nothing is wrong with you?" they'll ask. "Well of course they would, they want you to come in for that yearly checkup because they don't want you to feel good. If they fix your problems you won't come back next year now will you? Yeah they want you to be sick and feel awful. I don't. Here, take this magic potion and all your problems will vanish. How does it work? Well, energies remove toxins from your body. If you don't feel better you just need more."

The placebo effect is real. It's loving bizarre but it exists. Whereas a doctor is saying "no you're fine" somebody is saying "here take this!" Then you take it and you feel better. Happier. It must be the doctor that is lying! I paid $75 to see him and all that happened was a nurse weighed me then the doctor asked me some questions and sent me on my way. They didn't do anything! I know I'm sick, gently caress that doctor.

I still sometimes go to one of the Health Food stores from time to time, especially since they are the best source I have for whey protein powder, but seeing the homeopathic section and the presentations they have make me really sad for some of these people. I saw that there was some presentation on pain prevention (store even has a closed room specifically for it) full of elderly people that I wondered whether they were presenting anything legitimate at all in it or straight out useless crap.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lightning Jim posted:

I still sometimes go to one of the Health Food stores from time to time, especially since they are the best source I have for whey protein powder

gently caress, really? I don't think that I've ever seen a health food store selling whey protein any cheaper than Amazon, except for one time right after one of those bullshit brands turned out to not actually contain any protein

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cubey posted:

It sounds like mentioning things like corals or siphonophores would break these people's minds.

:byodood: "Life is more than just the sum of its parts"

:eng101: "Ok let's use slightly harder maths to describe it, oh hey that works better"

:byodood: "B... b... b.. but... nonlinear! Quantum! Life is special!"
(go read systems biology textbook reviews on amazon for higher laffs per sentence than terrible papers)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Especially since medicine is hard, and doctors will often have you waste time and money on tests that turn out to be nothing, and then miss the (in hindsight) glaring warning signs that something was actually wrong. And it takes so long! I myself had to wait almost a year and a half to finally retrieve treatment for an actual medicine condition that was making my life utterly miserable. And lots of times it is work - you've got to do unpleasant things over and over to actually get better, and for a serious problem "actually getting better" isn't even in the cards, it's just doing unpleasant things over and over again, day in and day out, for the rest of your life.

Alternate medicine folks offer solutions that are quick, affordable (ish), and they always let you know its good you came in and your time and money wasn't wasted at all. And they promise it will work, not just treating the systems but actually making you better. And all with a minimum of actual effort on the patients part.

It's an incredibly appealing narrative, and its easy to see why.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Especially since medicine is hard, and doctors will often have you waste time and money on tests that turn out to be nothing, and then miss the (in hindsight) glaring warning signs that something was actually wrong. And it takes so long! I myself had to wait almost a year and a half to finally retrieve treatment for an actual medicine condition that was making my life utterly miserable. And lots of times it is work - you've got to do unpleasant things over and over to actually get better, and for a serious problem "actually getting better" isn't even in the cards, it's just doing unpleasant things over and over again, day in and day out, for the rest of your life.

Alternate medicine folks offer solutions that are quick, affordable (ish), and they always let you know its good you came in and your time and money wasn't wasted at all. And they promise it will work, not just treating the systems but actually making you better. And all with a minimum of actual effort on the patients part.

It's an incredibly appealing narrative, and its easy to see why.

Yeah and if you don't even have a disease they'll make you one, free of charge! You're welcome.

Alt med also puts a lot of the burden on the consumer. If you don't get better you just used it wrong. The methods are perfect if used correctly. If it didn't work you didn't use it right/didn't use enough/need this other treatment/are being affected by ghosts or wifi or some poo poo who even knows? Oh, you still aren't better? Here, let's cleanse more toxins. Now let me tell you about all the toxins big government is dumping in our waters and about this awesome new pure water I just heard about...

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress, really? I don't think that I've ever seen a health food store selling whey protein any cheaper than Amazon, except for one time right after one of those bullshit brands turned out to not actually contain any protein

I guess I could do Amazon or BodyBuilding, it's just more that due to the way my apt office hours work, I either have to hurry to pick up packages during Lunch or do it on Saturday. And of course it's cheaper than GNC. I do buy other things there as well that are herbal supplements but I don't do that much anymore since I've waken up to most of that.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Seriously the Bilderbergs are meeting and you;re all talking about protein powder......

I sense dis info agents on a mission to distract

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In the CT Facebook group i'm part of someone posted a pretty bog standard "10 things that cannot be explained about 9/11". the first 9 is pretty normal, jet fuel can't melt steal beams and such. But #10 is really weird and shows a great side to the whole truther movement.

It says "How can such complex attacks be carried out by people who deny the modern world and live in caves?"

WHAT? You honestly believe the people in the middle east are literary cavemen? Even if the person who created it simply meant the terrorists, its still people in caves, therefor, primatives.

EDIT: Its clearly a mockumentry, it just starts like its an actual documentary and is labeled as a documentary. It literally just takes the Bohemian Grove myth and renames it. God drat Canadian show buisness is terrible.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 10, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Illuminti posted:

Seriously the Bilderbergs are meeting and you;re all talking about protein powder......

I sense dis info agents on a mission to distract

Okay. Do you want to talk about the Bilderbergs?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Everyone knows the bilderberg meeting is the world's most convenient cover story.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm OK with talking about the Bilderberg group. What, particularly, are people interested in?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Illuminti seemed upset that we weren't talking about them, I don't know what he had in mind

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Bilderberg meeting is the same as world leaders and rich people going golfing or having a charity ball. It's just an official-sounding excuse to go get smashed and shoot the poo poo. You think the people at that meeting got rich paying for their own travel and drinks? Shine that noise. Say you're talking about poverty, arts funding, or a new hospital wing and write that poo poo off.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In fairness, when rich people go golfing they're usually plotting to turn a public park into condos, or end Medicare.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SedanChair posted:

In fairness, when rich people go golfing they're usually plotting to turn a public park into condos, or end Medicare.

Oh, for sure. I wasn't intending to say they weren't hard at work.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

yeah but people act like the ~bilderburger:burger:~ meeting is some sinister special world domination thing instead of rich people meeting, sipping champagne, and thinking about becoming richer

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

blowfish posted:

yeah but people act like the ~bilderburger:burger:~ meeting is some sinister special world domination thing instead of rich people meeting, sipping champagne, and thinking about becoming richer

IIRC one of these exclusive rich people groups (Freemason's, I think?) apparently has a rule where you're not allowed to talk about faith or politics. Which, given the type of people who usually get picked up for these things, basically means having a social club where you don't talk about work.

Build-a-berg Workshop does at least claim they're Important People Doing Important Things, but I'd bet money that most of these Legions of Doom are just places for rich people to have a few drinks with each other and blow off steam without putting their careers in jeopardy.

Contrecoup fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 11, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ErIog posted:

Shine that noise.

Well, as long as we are using antiquated racial slurs instead of swear words . . .

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I understand why holistic as a word has gotten a bad rep because of woo, but it has other meanings. Holistic medicine, among non-insane people, just means systems of treatment that take the body as a whole system in consideration when making a diagnosis or putting together a treatment. For instance, a holistic approach to a patient with irritable bowels would mean not just prescribing a drug for diarrhea, but also checking if a patient is depressed or stressed out, and so having a chance at treating the underlying causes.

Of course, to a lot of people, holistic also means including your xenu-cursed thetan soul and the ground beams blowing into your rear end, so it's hard to tell good holism from bad I guess.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Okay. Do you want to talk about the Bilderbergs?

Not angry, just hoping maybe someone had spotted some good theories around this years meeting.

I'm just amazed no one has bugged the thing. And why are these peoples private emails never hacked and leaked? People spend years hacking celebrities phones for a picture of some average tit but no one has thought to hack one of these guys? Think of the front running on the stock market you could do!

You'd be far more likely to find the head of Goldmans dick pics than any proof of the NWO.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Illuminti posted:

You'd be far more likely to find the head of Goldmans dick pics than any proof of the NWO.

What if they're the same thing :tinfoil:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

What if they're the same thing :tinfoil:

the mighty penis

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Illuminti posted:

Not angry, just hoping maybe someone had spotted some good theories around this years meeting.

I'm just amazed no one has bugged the thing. And why are these peoples private emails never hacked and leaked? People spend years hacking celebrities phones for a picture of some average tit but no one has thought to hack one of these guys? Think of the front running on the stock market you could do!

The average person doesn't obsess over rich people the way he does over celebrities.

Besides, I'd expect one of these people to be actually competent in basic security measures.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Carsius posted:

The average person doesn't obsess over rich people the way he does over celebrities.

Besides, I'd expect one of these people to be actually competent in basic security measures.

You reckon? Being rich and powerful doesn't mean you're not as prone as anyone else to stupid mistakes. Hilary Clinton used a personal email for official business. Sonys email got hacked, although that could well have been an inside job. All these people got their phones hacked in a fairly simple way http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/29/leveson-inquiry-list-victims-phone-hacking

The more I think about it the more I think it must be happening. Having forknowledge of mergers or suchlike would be a goldmine as long as you wern't stupid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Illuminti posted:

You reckon? Being rich and powerful doesn't mean you're not as prone as anyone else to stupid mistakes. Hilary Clinton used a personal email for official business. Sonys email got hacked, although that could well have been an inside job. All these people got their phones hacked in a fairly simple way http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/29/leveson-inquiry-list-victims-phone-hacking

The more I think about it the more I think it must be happening. Having forknowledge of mergers or suchlike would be a goldmine as long as you wern't stupid.

It was my understanding that Clinton used personal email partly because it was supposed to be more secure than the official government systems, and that this personal email was never compromised, only that people found out that she was doing so.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was my understanding that Clinton used personal email partly because it was supposed to be more secure than the official government systems, and that this personal email was never compromised, only that people found out that she was doing so.

Quite an endorsement of the government email system!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Illuminti posted:

To be clear, I agree with your assertion that being rich/powerful has no direct correlation to the strength of your IT security, I was just questioning your specific example of Hillary Clinton's private email use as being included in that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Illuminti posted:

The Secretary of State normally has two email systems. One operates exclusively on the much more secured military and diplomatic network and is used for real official business. The other is on the public internet and is more for personal things and things that do not need to be kept secret.

Hillary opted to just continue using the email service her and bill had been using for personal communication since the mid-90s for the personal side, while still using the secure network server for important business.

• Locked thread