Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Madurai posted:

Externally-carried ordnance is Not Star Wars.

yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
I have tried putting together Rebel and Imperial lists for recreating the trench run fight from episode IV.
Did some quick research on wookiepedia and made this with as many of the pilots as possible, limited by the ships I have available .
Even with putting lots of upgrades on everything the imperials are 100 points short, so my plan is to allow the imperial player to recycle all the black squadron pilots once each which totals to 100 points extra.
The rebel player starts without the Millenium Falcon on the board but can put it onto play as soon as the imperial player starts recycling any black squadron pilot. The imperial player redeploys the destroyed
TIE fighters at the start of any turn he wishes after they are destroyed and can deploy as many at a time as he wishes, so he could for example wait until all five are destroyed before redeploying to have a large wave coming all at once (and also delay the Falcon).

Anyone have ideas to make it more "fluffy" or is it mostly correct with regards to astromechs etc ? Of course proton torpedos are not very good point investmens but this is just a for casual epic play.

296 points

Pilots
------

Garven Dreis (32)
X-Wing (26), R5-K6 (2), Proton Torpedoes (4)

Wedge Antilles (34)
X-Wing (29), R5 Astromech (1), Proton Torpedoes (4)

Biggs Darklighter (30)
X-Wing (25), R2 Astromech (1), Proton Torpedoes (4)

Luke Skywalker (36)
X-Wing (28), R2-D2 (4), Proton Torpedoes (4)

Jek Porkins (33)
X-Wing (26), R5-D8 (3), Proton Torpedoes (4)

“Dutch” Vander (37)
Y-Wing (23), R4-D6 (1), Proton Torpedoes (4), Proton Torpedoes (4), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Gold Squadron Pilot (32)
Y-Wing (18), R2 Astromech (1), Proton Torpedoes (4), Proton Torpedoes (4), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Han Solo (62)
YT-1300 (46), Lone Wolf (2), Chewbacca (4), Gunner (5), Millennium Falcon (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

------

204 points

Pilots
------

Darth Vader (42)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Homing Missiles (5), Predator (3), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

Mauler Mithel (24)
TIE Fighter (17), Push the Limit (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

Backstabber (19)
TIE Fighter (16), Hull Upgrade (3)

Dark Curse (19)
TIE Fighter (16), Stealth Device (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (20) x 5
TIE Fighter (14), Push the Limit (3), Hull Upgrade (3)

------

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arvid posted:

I have tried putting together Rebel and Imperial lists for recreating the trench run fight from episode IV.
Did some quick research on wookiepedia and made this with as many of the pilots as possible, limited by the ships I have available .
Even with putting lots of upgrades on everything the imperials are 100 points short, so my plan is to allow the imperial player to recycle all the black squadron pilots once each which totals to 100 points extra.
The rebel player starts without the Millenium Falcon on the board but can put it onto play as soon as the imperial player starts recycling any black squadron pilot. The imperial player redeploys the destroyed
TIE fighters at the start of any turn he wishes after they are destroyed and can deploy as many at a time as he wishes, so he could for example wait until all five are destroyed before redeploying to have a large wave coming all at once (and also delay the Falcon).

Anyone have ideas to make it more "fluffy" or is it mostly correct with regards to astromechs etc ? Of course proton torpedos are not very good point investmens but this is just a for casual epic play.

If you have the GR75, you can use the off-map turbolaser rules to simulate the trench guns.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Madurai posted:

If you have the GR75, you can use the off-map turbolaser rules to simulate the trench guns.

I do have the GR75 but I didn´t know about those rules, thanks for the tip :)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arvid posted:

I do have the GR75 but I didn´t know about those rules, thanks for the tip :)

Yeah there's off-map turbolaser/ion cannon fire used in the included scenarios to simulate the Hoth escape in the movies, using nice-looking tokens.

Man Fantasy Flight makes very nice components but finding ways to efficiently store the pieces is a metagame in an of itself.

Edit: I feel like Jek Porkins should have Stay On Target and Luke should have Deadeye

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 11, 2015

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Arvid posted:

This rules. Seconding deadeye on Luke.

Expose on Wedge, for that one time he flies directly in a TIE's face to kill it cause he's hot poo poo and he knows it? (Plus he has Biggs to cover him anyway)

I dunno how fluffy you're going but I'd even drop the Ion turrets on the Y's and give em engine upgrades for sheer :black101: (or at least the BTL title). For further shenanigans I'd put PTL on Dutch (using the EPT astro) with the point being that these y-wings just boost straight in and unload all their torps, get a round of range 1 shots, and then just start blocking people before they blow up.

Would drop Lone wolf and Gunner for more engine upgrades and PTL. It's always janky in real games but nothing is more fun than boosting PTL x-wings. Which is why you should do ittttt

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Porkins wasn't "stay on target" guy. That was some noname in a Y-Wing.

e: This is now canon as far as I'm concerned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBFwcidw6HM

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is the only thing good Star Wars related in comic book form:

Space-Mullet - Green Leader
http://www.space-mullet.com/2015/06/05/green-leader/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Geisladisk posted:

e: This is now canon as far as I'm concerned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBFwcidw6HM

Davish Krail, apparently.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The EU literally gave names and multi-page backstories to every single identifiable character that ever appeared on-screen or spoke a line (no matter how short or trivial to the plot) in any of the original trilogy. :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Geisladisk posted:

Oh, not sure why I thought that. Jek Porkins will always stay on target to my heart though :allears:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The EU literally gave names and multi-page backstories to every single identifiable character that ever appeared on-screen or spoke a line (no matter how short or trivial to the plot) in any of the original trilogy. :v:

The Mos Eisley cantina scene was worse for that because every single person in there had survived encounters with Darth Vader and/or Boba Fett at some point, and sometimes even both at the same time

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

At least he gives some actual names to Gold Leader and Gold 2 before he blows up, even though they don't show up in the credits so there's always that. Then again, he gives Vander's name as “Hutch” when the canonical nickname is “Dutch”…

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tippis posted:

At least he gives some actual names to Gold Leader and Gold 2 before he blows up, even though they don't show up in the credits so there's always that. Then again, he gives Vander's name as “Hutch” when the canonical nickname is “Dutch”…

The name said during the Trench Run is clearly "Hutch". Dutch doesn't even make sense as a nicknane in Star Wars; there's no Nederlands system.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but I thought I'd check - is the flechette cannon worth it, or am I better served spending the price of a Syck on more Aggressors?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah its nerdy as gently caress but it bothered me that they tried to name him Dutch when he was clearly saying Hutch in the movie. I liked that weird sorta Star Wars-whiteboy name. Like he's got space trucker tan on his arm or something.

Geisladisk posted:

The real 9/11

Chill la Chill posted:

what

isn't this like, illegal somehow

BURN IT FOR THE EMPEROR SHALL NOT SUFFER A QUALITY STAR WARS COMIC TO LIVE :downsgun:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Chill la Chill posted:

God loving dammit. A Star Wars fan comic got me mist eyed.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

yellowjournalism posted:

This rules. Seconding deadeye on Luke.

Expose on Wedge, for that one time he flies directly in a TIE's face to kill it cause he's hot poo poo and he knows it? (Plus he has Biggs to cover him anyway)

I dunno how fluffy you're going but I'd even drop the Ion turrets on the Y's and give em engine upgrades for sheer :black101: (or at least the BTL title). For further shenanigans I'd put PTL on Dutch (using the EPT astro) with the point being that these y-wings just boost straight in and unload all their torps, get a round of range 1 shots, and then just start blocking people before they blow up.

Would drop Lone wolf and Gunner for more engine upgrades and PTL. It's always janky in real games but nothing is more fun than boosting PTL x-wings. Which is why you should do ittttt

Added deadeye to luke and expose to Wedge, good ideas both of them. Plus expose ties in well with Wedges´ ability. I even gave Porkins "Draw their fire" since his job is to die :suicide:

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Did some DIY today and painted 7 different color markings and target locks. Always such a pain to see what target lock goes to who. No my team will be color co- ordinated. Also painted the button at the back of my moment templates so that I don't accidentally pick up my opponents.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Iceclaw posted:

God loving dammit. A Star Wars fan comic got me mist eyed.

Me too, buddy. Me too.

*adds Arvel to X-Wing list*

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Chill la Chill posted:

wow, them space-feels

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Played two games today, went 1 and 1. First gave was my by now traditional Scum list of Kavil/Drea/Palob, this time with an experiment to see if I like the A4 title on the Y-Wing courtesy of Drea plus Unhinged Astromech and an Ion Cannon. My opposition was four A-Wings, Tycho, Jake, and two Green Squaddies.

Long story short, no I do not care for the A4 title. I counted at least four or five moments during that game where I was thinking to myself "man, this would be loving great if I could use that Ion Turret outside my primary arc." I give my opponent credit for being one of the first people I've played against to actively go after Palob (though Drea died first as per usual) and the game went down to the wire as Kavil and Tycho went at it head to head for all the space marbles. In the end there are only so many times you can lob four dice plus target locked attacks at something before their dodging luck runs out.

Two things A-Wings really need: Autothrusters and Proton Rockets. Unfortunately he had neither. Also he was using Expose on his named A-Wings which I don't think he ever used once that game.

He got his back when we played round two, his two Red Squadron X-Wings and Corran Horn against Imperial Kath Scarlet and Echo. I've come to the conclusion that I need a lot more practice flying Firesprays because despite having more overall durability than, say, a Y-Wing whenever I fly one they crumple like tissue paper, though some legendarily lovely flying on my part certainly didn't help matters. Kath blew up by round two which left Echo at an unfortunate 1-on-3 disadvantage that I wasn't able to turn around. I killed one X-Wing outright but Corran's double attack and some bad dice results blew Echo out of the sky. Not my finest game, but it was entirely my own dumb fault.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Im leaving tomorrow with a friend for Raleigh so i don't have to do a 5 hour drive Saturday morning. Any cool places I should visit or eat @ while I'm there (if I have time)? I look forward to seeing those of you who are also going. :3:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, tournament my on Sunday. I'm still debating between running my scum list of which I have only flown once, and rebels which I have been playing since I started, and features Wedge Antilles. I'll figure it out.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Chill la Chill posted:

Im leaving tomorrow with a friend for Raleigh so i don't have to do a 5 hour drive Saturday morning. Any cool places I should visit or eat @ while I'm there (if I have time)? I look forward to seeing those of you who are also going. :3:

I just realized it's only a 2.5 hour drive for me. Think I'm going to call tomorrow and see if any spots have opened up. Never done a Regional before and Pittsburgh is still more than a month out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Veritek83 posted:

I just realized it's only a 2.5 hour drive for me. Think I'm going to call tomorrow and see if any spots have opened up. Never done a Regional before and Pittsburgh is still more than a month out.

Good luck! I just remembered that someone told me last night that they couldn't make it so maybe they already called to drop. From my experience at these pre-reg events, between 5-10% don't show (58 out of 64 at NJ as I recall) but that's still a long drive for a maybe. I should be going to Pittsburg too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

where you stayin' m8, i can give you some suggestions

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Chill la Chill posted:

It's a good time to be here:
https://trirestaurantweek.com

If you end up with time for a nice meal.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank you. Idk where we're staying cuz my friend booked the hotel. We'll see though: apparently he got a job as a freelance technical editor for FFG and he just got his first assignment this week - due Monday lol. So we might just stay in for most of the weekend.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Chill la Chill posted:

Thank you. Idk where we're staying cuz my friend booked the hotel. We'll see though: apparently he got a job as a freelance technical editor for FFG and he just got his first assignment this week - due Monday lol. So we might just stay in for most of the weekend.

I give enough money to FFG that I honestly should just work for them.

gently caress living in Minnesota though.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Hey, that's my favorite level in Rogue Squadron 3. Especially playing it as the Jedi Starfighter and nuking the ship with seismic charges. :hellyeah:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yall goons at Raleigh regional today I'm in a blue Rebels t-shirt. No goony poo poo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is annoying. Tables with holes in the middle, vinyl mats.... They really need to screen who gets to host these. Cut out some cardboard for these mats, takes a couple bucks each at most.

E: orange quicksilver shirt

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 13, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yup

After the event be sure to drop a note to ffg organized play

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If I didnt get scammed into attending a terrible wedding today I'd be there pushing plastic space ships around. Good luck guys. Hopefully next year regionals is at atomic or somewhere good.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

alg posted:

My list flops against anything with shields. I'm just there to get one win and ruin someone's day. I have to leave by 5 anyway

:getin:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Well, now I have wood. Thanks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chill la Chill is a verified Cool Goon.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

This is annoying. Tables with holes in the middle, vinyl mats.... They really need to screen who gets to host these. Cut out some cardboard for these mats, takes a couple bucks each at most.

E: orange quicksilver shirt

At least the place that was like "lol we ran out of room go play in the chinese restaurant and the vacant space next door" got filtered out this year.

Good luck Chill and Alg kill some spaceships

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Had an Escalation tournament at the local game shop. Came in 2nd, out of 14 people. I lost one game by exactly three points at time. Principle discovery of the tournament: holy poo poo Luke is a loving boss. In the 120 point level, I lost a Gray Squad Y-Wing, Horton, and Wedge in exchange for a pair of Z-95s in a Brobots Plus list. Luke then proceeded to solo both IGs and ended the game with full hull and shields thanks to R2. Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Looks like the kid running Boba / IG88B that beat me won the Raleigh regional

• Locked thread