Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Gotta say, I'm really not feeling Kelp Dome yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ometeotl posted:

It's obvious why it wasn't a release map: If people played it first they probably wouldn't be able to wrap their loving heads around it. Also it's interesting how all of the starting maps rewarded the same couple weapons to different degrees while the two staggered release maps reward completely different playstyles (more so on splatzones than turf wars though).

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

It's kinda too big for 8 players, 12 would probably be better.

Edit: Yahtzee enjoying an online multiplayer game is high praise from him. Even his curmudgeon rear end is no match for the awesome that is Splatoon.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2015

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

Its pretty chaotic as theres three spots to fight the other side from and the grating. Its also compact leading to a lot of fighting back and forth in the center which means lots of points. I got 1300 points with an aerospray on it and thats before adding in win bonus.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kelp is the first map where I've seen everyone on a team earn over 1200 points

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Skatepark is one of my favorite Ranked map for Blaster because if you roll out straight forward and slide left off the narrow path in front of the pillar you can lob a point sensor onto the enemy zone and tag whoever is there every time. If you hold the left yard you can stop people coming in from the left halfpipes, bombard the enemy point safely from around the corner, you can control half the pillar with splash, kill whoever is on the enemy's narrow path and the swim up to the grate overtop the point if you want and control their middle threshold area. A Blaster in the left yard controls so much of the skate park it's disgusting.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Not a Children posted:

Kelp is the first map where I've seen everyone on a team earn over 1200 points

That's the thing about Kelp Dome, there is always SOMETHING to paint it seems. Other maps have you slowly inching your way towards the opponents base, but sometimes I found myself just going crazy with paint right in front of their base while everyone was in the middle trying to fight over the middle ground.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
What the dick is this, I beat the last boss in story mode and the game gives a USB error where you have to power off the console, the same thing happened to my partner yesterday.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Every single time I've played the Mall, the team on the left side always wins. ALWAYS. My rank is plummetting :(

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
I just started ranked and have been having a grand old time splatting everyone in Kelp Dome who tries to take the walkway to the point from below it.

I think the .52 deco is my new favorite weapon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Super Slash posted:

What the dick is this, I beat the last boss in story mode and the game gives a USB error where you have to power off the console, the same thing happened to my partner yesterday.

Big Boss tells you to shut off your console, but you really shouldn't because he's secretly the bad guy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So has Kelp Dome been locked-in on both rotations since release?

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

dogsicle posted:

So has Kelp Dome been locked-in on both rotations since release?

They kinda did the same thing with Port Mackerel when it was released. Give it a day or so.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This isn't 100% true. When Port Mackerel came out, it was pinned as one of the two Turf War maps for 6 cycles (24 hours) but didn't appear in ranked until the 24 hours were up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Super Slash posted:

So you like to play castlevania

raditts posted:

Big Boss tells you to shut off your console, but you really shouldn't because he's secretly the bad guy.

:argh: radittttttts!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Do we know how many maps they are waiting to unlock that are already on the disc?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Do we know how many maps they are waiting to unlock that are already on the disc?

Any map in single-player where you fight against nothing but Octolings is a multiplayer map, apparently.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Reiley posted:

Any map in single-player where you fight against nothing but Octolings is a multiplayer map, apparently.

Also possibly every Octostriker map. (Maybe not the first one though)

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Every single time I've played the Mall, the team on the left side always wins. ALWAYS. My rank is plummetting :(

But your own team is always on the left.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Reiley posted:

There's only one of those left, I think? But there's a different one they've shown off before that wasn't in singleplayer (a summer camp level with tons of water you can fall in to).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Peewi posted:

But your own team is always on the left.

I meant the left spawnpoint, not the score meter.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

I meant the left spawnpoint, not the score meter.

The maps (except rig) are rotationally symmetrical. Your team is always on the left.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Tried playing with the brush, and somehow it just clicked this time around. That thing is a beast. The fact you can ink places fast with the swing makes it on par with the aerospray. Add the sprinkler and the inkstrike and you've got a lean mean inking machine. Getting 1000p in Kelp is nothing peculiar, but when you hit that limit on other maps... Wow. Rollers were never my thing, but this will do.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

andipossess posted:

The maps (except rig) are rotationally symmetrical. Your team is always on the left.

I mean the bottom left spawnpoint on the gamepad map. I know maps are symmetrical and it makes no difference, but it's just something uncanny I've noticed in all my games.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

I mean the bottom left spawnpoint on the gamepad map. I know maps are symmetrical and it makes no difference, but it's just something uncanny I've noticed in all my games.

People are trying to say that your team's spawn displays on the gamepad map in the lower left corner every time, as a convenience. No matter which team you're on, everyone sees their own team in the lower left. Unrelated, but you've probably never been put on the "Bad Guys" team either.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "Left" too.

I think you're trying to say "the team that manages to take the ledges left of me always seems to win." Because their left is the same as your right and the right side is easy and intuitive to take when you're on Mall, while the left has gratings separating various paintable ledges so fewer people are willing to directly intercept "their right" that way.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Reiley posted:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Also possibly every Octostriker map. (Maybe not the first one though)

Both of you are correct. Here's a list of maps you fight Octolings/Octostriker + Octarian Troops on:

Kelp Dome (DLC Map for Multiplayer, Octolings)
Blackbelly Skatepark (Is a level in Story Mode twice: Once with Octolings, once with Octostriker)
Saltspray Rig (Octolings)
Urchin Underpass (Octostriker)
Bluefin Depot (DLC Map for Multiplayer, is a level in Story Mode twice: Once with Octolings, once with Octostriker)
Inkopolis Tutorial Stage (Octostriker)

Only the last one is not a multiplayer map.

(Also, each of them either take place at dawn or night when just about all Inklings are asleep, which makes perfect conditions for Octarian invasion attempts... except maybe around Splatfest.)

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I've been on vacation for a week and now everyone has dope Splatoon avs, what happened?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Chill Penguin posted:

I've been on vacation for a week and now everyone has dope Splatoon avs, what happened?

A new map and inkbrushes.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well that was something, won a match by less than 1% after the enemy hit us with an after-the-buzzer inkstrike :stonklol:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I like how apparently they designed the back of the giant amiibo box in the plaza even though there's no way to see it in-game normally and replaced all the English/Japanese/etc. with the Inkling language.
There's a lot of neat touches you can really notice once you go out of bounds, like a few graffiti you can only see from a distance when you go up the steps. Also an interesting thing about that closed garage behind the arcade machine: its got a tile floor behind it you cant normally see and I don't think is used anywhere else in the game.

It has no interier walls however so maybe something scrapped used to be there or will be there in the future?

Chill Penguin posted:

cool gifs and cool person making avs:

Jarogue posted:

Want a cool Splatoon Avatar or picture? Go to this cool guy here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721114&pagenumber=1#lastpost
Do this, we need more squid wizards.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 11, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tengames posted:

Do this, we need more squid wizards.

Or as I now like to call them, Squizards.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Or as I now like to call them, Squizards.

I was gonna make that joke :(

Also yes give me money.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Supercar Gautier posted:

Any perk that can show up as a sub-perk can stack, but you get diminishing returns. Also, fast movement only works while not firing, and does not speed up rollers.

People keep saying this but I'm pretty sure it specifically states in that guide that it does apply while firing, but not rolling. I'm about to get into work tho so I can't double check. I'm pretty sure.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rama of Ra posted:

People keep saying this but I'm pretty sure it specifically states in that guide that it does apply while firing, but not rolling. I'm about to get into work tho so I can't double check. I'm pretty sure.

I can confirm it atleast works when aiming a charger.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

I can confirm it atleast works when aiming a charger.

That's the same walkspeed state you enter whenever you click fire on a Blaster, it feels like it's a bit less planted in place to strafe and shoot but I can't say for sure without recording a side-by-side comparison or something. There's just so much to discover about this wonderful game

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Both of you are correct. Here's a list of maps you fight Octolings/Octostriker + Octarian Troops on:

Kelp Dome (DLC Map for Multiplayer, Octolings)
Blackbelly Skatepark (Is a level in Story Mode twice: Once with Octolings, once with Octostriker)
Saltspray Rig (Octolings)
Urchin Underpass (Octostriker)
Bluefin Depot (DLC Map for Multiplayer, is a level in Story Mode twice: Once with Octolings, once with Octostriker)
Inkopolis Tutorial Stage (Octostriker)

Only the last one is not a multiplayer map.

(Also, each of them either take place at dawn or night when just about all Inklings are asleep, which makes perfect conditions for Octarian invasion attempts... except maybe around Splatfest.)

In addition there's two more known DLC levels not in singleplayer:
Camp Triggerfish (the aforementioned woodland level with lots of water)
Unknown skyscraper level (verticality: the map, you can see it in that splatfest promo trailer and on the TVs in Inkopolis)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kelp dome is awesome and I like the large play area mixed with the unique center point capture mechanic for ranked. Lots of good mobility options, places to shove deployables, jumping becomes important, lots of ways to use or avoid super moves.

I also had several 22+ frag rounds, the first of which on kelp when it dropped, so that gave a good first impression.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

Could you draw an actual person as a Splatoon character? They need to have an afro mohawk and glasses and very thin chin hair. I can PM images for reference.

lmfao

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

I can confirm Noir "Ironic Pedophile Jokester" Stronaut is a sexy beast who is now a squid.

Also did I loving dream about the poo poo implying there would be new clothing added to this game every 3 months? Like I can't find anything about it but I don't want to be dreaming about videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I for one would really like more clothes that change color to match your team color the way the Urchins Jersey does. Right now it's the only one, which is very strange for a game with so many potential team colors.

• Locked thread