Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Took the E30 to a E30 meet this weekend. Found out my tires and brakes are not up to the task of anything more than a mildly spirited run in the mountains. New, more appropriate tires and pads are on the way.

Pics aren't mine, I always forget to take picturesDammit I need to replace that fog light

Motronic posted:

Put a big spoiler on it to use as a handle and push it across the country.
It's got to be better than your last cart.
(do not store your water in the cooling system)
:boom:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

stump posted:

Nice Opel. What engine is in it? I hired a 1.8 petrol Insigna (euro version of your car) last year and it was half decent aside from the engine. Felt quite planted on what seemed like needlessly big tyres for that car but didn't have much steering feedback.

Here in the states we get a 2.0 turbo 4 (259 hp, 295 lb/ft). Like most of the commercials, most folks don't ID it as a Buick, despite the huge badge on the front.

Sadi posted:

How'd you like the volt? I've been curious to hear owners opinions now that it's been around a while.

I loved the Volt. Most of my driving is urban, so going 1500 miles on a tank of gas was not uncommon. It was comfortable for 2 (2 more in a pinch), handled well (sans the awful OEM eco-focused tires), rode well, was distinctive looking. On my wishlist would have been more rear headroom and more seat adjustment in the front. The only reasons I didn't get another one was colossal depreciation, and a change in lifestyle that has me doing more suburban driving than urban driving.

It crashed well though -- and Chevrolet provided top-drawer service the whole time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I've spent a long time trying to figure who was targeted by those lovely commercials, and now I know.

Powershift posted:

replacing the entire cooling system, pump, hoses, expansion tank, and rad every 100k is considered preventative maintinence.

This gives me chills. :psypop:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

LeeMajors posted:

I've spent a long time trying to figure who was targeted by those lovely commercials, and now I know.

This gives me chills. :psypop:

Apparently businessmen in their mid-30s :stonk:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I recently got this and I absolutely love it.

2011 BMW E91 330d M-Sport. It's the first car I've actually wanted rather than settled for, the fit and finish is fantastic.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Anjow posted:

2011 BMW E91 330d M-Sport. It's the first car I've actually wanted rather than settled for, the fit and finish is fantastic.

Very nice. I wish we had a few more BMW wagon options here besides 328xi and 328xd. I'd love a 550iT.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
~3 months overdue for a wash....

...yea

honestly sort of afraid to even touch that rear drivers' side rear wheel, it's got rattlecan paint that has now had 1mm of brake dust settled on top of it for all that time......

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Anjow posted:

Always a head-turner those station wagons, just lovely.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

masterpine posted:

Stopping by to also say that is a sexy car.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
Out with the old (Peugeot) and in with the new (Saab Aero) - 120 bhp difference.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

drukqs posted:

~3 months overdue for a wash....

...yea

honestly sort of afraid to even touch that rear drivers' side rear wheel, it's got rattlecan paint that has now had 1mm of brake dust settled on top of it for all that time......

http://amzn.com/B00KS5JJ4A

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

masterpine posted:

Thanks! I'm pleased to say I've had several people come up to me and express similar things. Mine is identical to a colleague's, and my boss has the F31 335d - driving the latter influenced this purchase. He's going to court for being caught doing 130mph and I can see how easily he'd have got there!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Will that poo poo get the carbotech dust off my advans?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Yeah, but you can't get in England at a decent price so buy a 5l tub of bilberry as it totes owns bones

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

track day bro! posted:

I can confirm that this works great for XP10 dust. It makes some pretty hosed up colours on the way out as well.

This stuff is green when it comes out of the bottle and turns red when it hits brake dust. Here's it getting used on a wheel with a stuck caliper:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can confirm that this works great for XP10 dust. It makes some pretty hosed up colours on the way out as well.

This stuff is green when it comes out of the bottle and turns red when it hits brake dust. Here's it getting used on a wheel with a stuck caliper:

You spray it on and let it sit, then spray it off right? It appears like you don't even need to scrub. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Does it eat rattle can paint? Because I really don't want to repaint my wheels again.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Someone said its safe on plastidip so I would imagine its good on spray paint. And you can probably wash it off with water just fine but itll always be better with a little agitation.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Yea I've bought "Sonax Full Effect" before. Overwhelming noxious stench, and it didn't seem to be all that much more effective than cheaper stuff. This actually looks like its even more expensive :eek:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

it'll turn colors even on a clean wheel

try it!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

GramCracker posted:

You spray it on and let it sit, then spray it off right? It appears like you don't even need to scrub. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'd recommend a bit of light scrubbing if the wheels are really bad. Stuff works pretty good and is really nice for wheels that are a pain in the rear end to clean (basketweaves).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The thin stuff I could just spray off and it would take the dust with it, anything that was really dense (complex curves or scratches in the material) needed a bit of brushing with a dish brush before it started to break off in big sheets of solid brake dust.

That wheel was maybe the worst I've ever worked with and the Sonax only made it mildly more pleasant. I do enjoy the smell though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Do you people not wax your wheels once a year?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
... wax? Oh right one of those "car cleaning and detailing" things.

I'm usually too busy fixing the drat thing to care about its cosmetics, really. The only reason I even bothered to paint my wheels is because I already had the spraypaint, the tires were junk so I didn't have to mask them off since they had a date with the recycling dumpster the next day, and it was all already off the car, so I slapped the small rust spots with a knotted wire wheel on my angle grinder, blasted them all with acetone and a rag, and then went nuts with the paint. I think the whole thing took 15 minutes, maybe?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I used to wax my wheels once a year, but now I really only just give them a really good cleaning when I swap them. I never really noticed wax lasting longer than a month or two so it stopped being worth the effort.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

veedubfreak posted:

Christ, I haven't even waxed the car itself in over a year. Combination of both cars being white and my time being limited results in detailing neglect.

When I do get around to washing the cars, I still wash the barrels of the wheels and door jambs, though, so I'm not a complete slackoff.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I think I waxed my black Monte Carlo two or three times in the 10.5 years I owned it. At the end it still looked great when clean, and I'm glad I didn't spend any extra effort maintaining it because a couple months after I sold it to a neighbor a drunk teenager stole his mom's BMW and ran into the car behind it, then a deer head-butted the driver's front quarterpanel so it looks like a mess anyway. It's weird to watch your decade-long car go from pretty well preserved to complete not-worth-fixing beater in a couple months.

2002 vs 2013 :911:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Usually. But, I have a BMW, so the real solution is to just buy proper black wheels, since the brake dust turns them black anyway!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

meatpimp posted:

Christ, I haven't even waxed the car itself in over a year. Combination of both cars being white and my time being limited results in detailing neglect.

When I do get around to washing the cars, I still wash the barrels of the wheels and door jambs, though, so I'm not a complete slackoff.

This is how I've gotten with the TDI. I know I'm trading it in as soon as I can get a 16 R, combine that with the fact that it has either snowed or rained roughly 90% of the days this year I just stopped caring. But I did give the wheels a fresh wax 2 seasons ago and they're still super clean. I'm keeping the wheels for winters on the R so I'm trying to keep them from getting too hideous. 19" snow tires are surprisingly inexpensive.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

So we went racing last night (click pics for video):

Air was bad and the wagon was a little slow, but still fun to go out and trounce random stuff. I need to get my DRs on and the E85 tune done, that should butt me right up against the 11.50 limit before a cage.

However, the belle of the ball was my wife:

This was only her second-best run of the night - the best being:

We didn't expect this good of a time - apparently the X5M likes it when it cools off.

13.080 at Bandimere, stock, is a respectable time no matter what car you're in. Two points of reference: A WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 was turning in 14.5 at 97mph last night, and I think the very best I ever ran with the -V stock was 13.01, so the X5M very clearly hauls rear end, if not in a different way. Next up, and possibly before our next outing - a tune, air filters, and downpipes. Stay... tuned..

edit: images fixed

Tremek fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 14, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't see your images except for the timeslip, but congrats.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

After 11-odd years of sitting in dad's front yard, it's time to resurrect the Falcon Ute

It's a 1965 XP Falcon Ute. It's fairly complete, and while it has rust, it isn't anything horrible or structural. Interior is water tight, even with the barley channel and side window rubbers pretty well hosed on it.

The ute used to be used on dad's family farm, then my uncle took ownership of it when the farm was sold off and used it as his handyman vehicle until he got too old.

The trusty Pursuit 170ci straight six.

The motor spun over smoothly, considering the last time it was in action was around 2004. There was no spark, but once the contact points in the distributor were given a quick sanding down, that fixed that issue. Fire up after the fuel line filled up, idles perfectly, but needs some work on the carby, as the accelerator pump in it is pretty rooted. The matador music that was played when the Top Gear guys got the Hilux running again after being in the ocean played in my head when the old dear fired up and worked without the need to pour petrol down the carby.

No water in the oil, water in the radiator is clean. The rubber fuel lines in the engine bay were perished, and will need to be changed before I get it out of the yard. No brakes at the moment except for the hand brake, however none of the drums are locked up, so it moves smoothly.

Most of the electrics work, however the indicator can/relay is jammed on it, but I think I should be able to strip it down and get it working again without needing to replace it.

Going to throw it onto a trailer on Thursday and park it in the locking garage at my unit. First job will be taking the door card off the driver's door and fixing the door lock on it, then look at the brakes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You Am I posted:

After 11-odd years of sitting in dad's front yard, it's time to resurrect the Falcon Ute

It's a 1965 XP Falcon Ute. It's fairly complete, and while it has rust, it isn't anything horrible or structural. Interior is water tight, even with the barley channel and side window rubbers pretty well hosed on it.

Oh that thing is awesome, you going to do a project thread or just update here as you make progress?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
First car!

Ford Fiesta Zetec, 1.25 engine, working aircon, sunroof, central locking and the underside isn't rusted to complete poo poo. Not too bad for £400, probably going to swap out the rims for some black ones with purple trim :krad:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that thing is awesome, you going to do a project thread or just update here as you make progress?

Probably post updates here, as I can't see too much being done to it over the next 12 months. Currently dealing with some parent issues that will take most of my attention. However will do small things on it during that time, like fix the door lock, get the brakes working and overhaul the carburettor

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Tremek posted:

So we went racing last night (click pics for video):

Is this the speedway off of C-470 in CO? I pass that place all the time and still haven't been.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Is this the speedway off of C-470 in CO? I pass that place all the time and still haven't been.

Yes it is! C'mon out sometime, the next Club Clash event I will be out there for is the afternoon/evening of Friday, July 17th.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

im not a ford/holden person but i have very fond memories of these

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah, but you can't get in England at a decent price so buy a 5l tub of bilberry as it totes owns bones

Eh?

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/sonax-full-effect-wheel-cleaner/prod_1180.html

The bilberry stuff is out of stock though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

14 quid plus delivery for pre diluted 500ml smh London boi