Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I've never had a beer cocktail that wasn't amazing. I wish they were more common. Haven't made any myself yet though; anyone know some good recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I recently made the Strange Brew from Death & Co. and thought it was quite tasty.

2 oz gin
1 oz pineapple juice
0.75 oz velvet falernum
0.5 oz lemon juice
shake, strain into glass filled w/ crushed ice, top with ipa (2-3 oz), garnish mint

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2015/04/strange-brew.html

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rotten Cookies posted:

Do they not have tiny bottles at your liquor store?

Nope. The lcbo sucks

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Cookies posted:

Do they not have tiny bottles at your liquor store?

Not of off the beaten path stuff like Campari or Pernod. Does that sort of stuff even come in smaller bottles?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Well they at least exist. I could swear I saw some at one of the liquor stores around here.

http://www.justminiatures.co.uk/campari-miniature-aperitif-40ml-p-2040.html

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Experimented a little tonight.

Prince of Chocness

2 parts Baileys
1 part Creme de Cacao
1 part Creme de Cafe
1 Part Glayva
1 dash Frangellico
3 parts milk

Shake, garnish with a sprinkle of cocoa powder and drink in a darkened room.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Reed's Extra Ginger supposed to be really sour? This is godawful, I'm wondering if I got a bad batch. I'm seriously considering returning this to Costco.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Ralith posted:

What are some good things to do with lilet blanc? I got a bottle to make corpse reviver no. 2s with, and those are great, but I'm interested in other uses. Especially something where the lilet is more forward.

So, it's kind of cliche but I really like the Vesper. It uses a 2/1/.5 ratio of Gin, Vodka, and Lillet Blanc. Shaken, not stirred obviously with a twist of Lemon on the end. It's a very boozy concoction but I think it's pretty tasty. I really like the combo of Vodka and Gin and I've had a few other drinks that combine the two successfully.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I just started making my own ginger syrup and combining it with carbonated water on demand. I'm not convinced it's better than a 6-pack of 8oz Regatta cans.

Campari is an essential bottle. If you're on the fence about buying it, get off the drat fence and make a Bitter Mai Tai.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is Reed's Extra Ginger supposed to be really sour? This is godawful, I'm wondering if I got a bad batch. I'm seriously considering returning this to Costco.

No, I wouldn't describe it as really sour.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, Reed's isn't my go-to but I've had it often enough that I can say "sour" sounds really out of character.

My go-to lately is actually Hansen's ginger ale from Trader Joe's. I find it more gingery than a few ginger beers I've tried.

I mean I'm not saying it's the apex of cocktailing but a can of Hansen's and a jigger of Coruba equals a pleasant evening.

Klauser posted:

Campari is an essential bottle.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

taqueso posted:

No, I wouldn't describe it as really sour.

Okay, good. I'd feel guilty about taking a good batch of it back just because I didn't like it, but if it's not supposed to taste like that, I'll probably stop by again and return it. This is completely undrinkable.

I think I remember someone talking about this, but this thread is really long. How long does vermouth keep if you refrigerate it? I'm thinking of buying a smaller bottle to play with.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People like to lowball on vermouth shelf life. I think you're safe for about a month at least, though the tail end of that month you can notice some differences. I usually end up having an ounce of two that lasts for a couple months. Then I drink it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

After drinking mostly neat whisky for the last year, I'm getting back into making cocktails at home. I remember I liked Campari, so I tried making a Boulevardier (or is it called a Left Hand?) with my favorite rye whisky and it was phenomenal.

I didn't use any bitters though, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on some quality bitters that would add to it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mixed a quart of jungle bird in a mason jar with few ice cubes melted in to make up for lost dilution from lack of shaking. Wound up doing downhill time trials with a friend between a Razor Betty and a kick scooter after most of the jar, some cider, and a few beers.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I might have misremembered my Maine Root/ reeds ginger beer experience, but I will say that both are spicier than Q/fever tree/goslings/bundaberg. But I am so excited for dark n stormy season because of the experimentation it entails. And because next to the Negroni and Manhattan dns might be my favorite drink.

So amped to work at a bar where I have a huge cutting board and low boy and a cellar of fresh produce and seasonal menu. I might have failed miserably at the SB Negroni contest, but I'd argue that the judges failed much worse, and gently caress em we're gonna run our Negroni all summer, seeing as how we sold out in four days (one "major rule" was to run it all of June - the winner has yet to run it at all, period).

So I have mezcal marinating with rosemary (mixing with dry vermouth, honey simple, grapefruit bitters, lemon twist) and peaches macerating in sugar (doing a peach/spicy manzano pepper shrub, repo, aperol, grapefruit, creme de peche, tall, beer top, salted rim), and for my Negroni, I've infused bols genever with cardamom, and split campari and carpano with grand poppy and gran classico, and barrel aged it for 3 weeks. Stir, strain, Orange twist, incredible. Gonna have a melon drink and a strawberry basil one, and a red bell pepper bourbon egg white drink, some sparkling options, punch options, non alcoholic options...

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Booyah- posted:

After drinking mostly neat whisky for the last year, I'm getting back into making cocktails at home. I remember I liked Campari, so I tried making a Boulevardier (or is it called a Left Hand?) with my favorite rye whisky and it was phenomenal.

I didn't use any bitters though, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on some quality bitters that would add to it.

Feel free to correct me, but a boulevardier is with bourbon and an old pal is with rye. A left hand is awesome but is more like 1 dash chocolate bitters, 1.5 bourbon, .75 campari .75 swt vermouth. I'm sure angostura would work well in the bouly or old pal.

Just want to edit to say the left hand cocktail definitely altered my general perception of cocktails and once you taste a flawless one you will be altered...but apparently I can see only edit the middle of my post right now.

One drink ive made that's an obvious riff that I'm very proud of is El Padrino. ONE dash Fees Aztec chocolate bitters (i start here, and if I accidentally dash two I start over), 2 dash Regans no6 Orange bitters, 2 oz reposado tequila, .5 oz grand poppy liqueur (it's like campari but lighter, less bitter, more floral) .5 oz sweet vermouth, .25 oz st George's NOLA coffee liqueur, stir, strain over a block with an orange twist. So delicious.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 19, 2015

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Ralith posted:

I've never had a beer cocktail that wasn't amazing. I wish they were more common. Haven't made any myself yet though; anyone know some good recipes?

Don't have the links ready, but this thread turned me on to the hoperol flip and some laphroaig malty beer drink, both of which were delicious and should be easy to Google.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Nthing campari as a necessity. If you dont like it, you haven't had enough. I hated it at first (my buddy still describes it as bile + cough syrup), but 3/4 through my first bottle something clicked and I loving love it. Absolutely essential; don't bother trying to cocktail without it. Sorry to quadruple post (yea right)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

The Maestro posted:

I might have misremembered my Maine Root/ reeds ginger beer experience, but I will say that both are spicier than Q/fever tree/goslings/bundaberg. But I am so excited for dark n stormy season because of the experimentation it entails. And because next to the Negroni and Manhattan dns might be my favorite drink.

I picked up another pack of reeds, and I still wouldn't describe it as spicy. It just doesn't have much of a bite. Cock n Bull is pretty good and easily available (kroger sells singles). It has a little bit of bite, but it also doesn't have as much to balance the sugar taste. Americana ginger ale was pretty good the one time I had it, but I can't find it anywhere now. On the other end of the spectrum, holy poo poo blenheim hot is spicy to the point I can't really drink it. It might be okay mixed, but it's way too strong on its own.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
HOLY gently caress BOYS HAVE YOU SEE NTHIS poo poo??!?

https://www.absolut.com/us/products/absolut-cilantro/

NOW YOU CAN GIVE ANY COCKTAIL YOU WANT A "LATIN" KICK!!!! (!!!) JUST LIKE THE MEME!!!

Nooner fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 19, 2015

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Hell is real

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My eye already twitches when I read the phrase "premium vodka" so marinating a dead stinkbug in a vodka bottle isn't going to offend me any further.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nooner posted:

HOLY gently caress BOYS HAVE YOU SEE NTHIS poo poo??!?

https://www.absolut.com/us/products/absolut-cilantro/

NOW YOU CAN GIVE ANY COCKTAIL YOU WANT A "LATIN" KICK!!!! (!!!) JUST LIKE THE MEME!!!

cilantro/latin kick/vodka? gently caress yes sign me up.

memes in my kitchen? nope.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I haven't actually heard of whatever this meme is. Cilantro is a meme? Cilantro is latino?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't actually heard of whatever this meme is. Cilantro is a meme? Cilantro is latino?

You can add a little bit of cilantro and lime to your [whatever] for a "latin" kick.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
add some matzah balls to your bloody mary for that "kosher" twist!

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

The Maestro posted:

Feel free to correct me, but a boulevardier is with bourbon and an old pal is with rye. A left hand is awesome but is more like 1 dash chocolate bitters, 1.5 bourbon, .75 campari .75 swt vermouth. I'm sure angostura would work well in the bouly or old pal.

Old Pal is with dry vermouth. 1794 is with rye.

My minor riff on the Left Hand:
The Other Left: 1.75 bulleit bourbon, 0.75 campari, 0.5 dolin sweet vermouth (carpano for a richer drink), 0.25 st george nola coffee, stir, strain, orange twist

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

My eye already twitches when I read the phrase "premium vodka" so marinating a dead stinkbug in a vodka bottle isn't going to offend me any further.

I've got a bottle of Belvedere in my liquor cabinet. I bought it for a friend that moved away before we put too much of a dent in it. She would only drink Belvedere unless it was a cocktail where the other flavors would cover it up.

It's the best vodka I have had, but I still prefer a $21 regular price bottle of Bombay or Beefeater to the $27 on sale Belvedere. Maybe I'll buy some vermouth and try making a Vesper. That's just gin, vodka, and vermouth, right? Does it matter if it's lillet, or is that just tradition/brand snobbery?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got a bottle of Belvedere in my liquor cabinet. I bought it for a friend that moved away before we put too much of a dent in it. She would only drink Belvedere unless it was a cocktail where the other flavors would cover it up.

It's the best vodka I have had, but I still prefer a $21 regular price bottle of Bombay or Beefeater to the $27 on sale Belvedere. Maybe I'll buy some vermouth and try making a Vesper. That's just gin, vodka, and vermouth, right? Does it matter if it's lillet, or is that just tradition/brand snobbery?

Lillet is similar to dry vermouth, but different. I think the primary differences are that it is sweeter and macerated with sweet (?) orange peels. Cocchi American is a better version of Lillet Blanc and Tempus Fugit Kina L'Avion is reportedly better than both.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

If you're a fan of belvedere, check out Sobieski. Roughly the same vodka for nowhere near the price.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I got a bottle of Tres Generaciones Reposado as a present from a friend of mine. It looks like the tequila thread has vanished into the ether, and the cocktail thread is probably the next best place to ask.

What should I do with this? I've got limes, cointreau, and salt; should I turn it into margaritas? Should I just drink it straight and savor it? Are there better cocktails than a margarita that this would do well in?

I normally just put tequila in coke and call it a day, but this seems too nice to do that with; I want to step my game up.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Coca Koala posted:

I got a bottle of Tres Generaciones Reposado as a present from a friend of mine. It looks like the tequila thread has vanished into the ether, and the cocktail thread is probably the next best place to ask.

What should I do with this? I've got limes, cointreau, and salt; should I turn it into margaritas? Should I just drink it straight and savor it? Are there better cocktails than a margarita that this would do well in?

I normally just put tequila in coke and call it a day, but this seems too nice to do that with; I want to step my game up.

Pour shot, rub a lemon in some sugar, shoot shot bite lemon

There ya go mexican lemon head

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
I'm glad to have found this thread, although o haven't read through all 88 pages yet.

Does anyone have a good Sazerac recipe? I've had several good ones at a few local cocktail and whisky bars, but I can't seem to perfect it at home yet.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

You need yourself some Pechauds bitters and some absinthe first. Those few drops of each are going to make all the difference.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank

trauma llama posted:

I'm glad to have found this thread, although o haven't read through all 88 pages yet.

Does anyone have a good Sazerac recipe? I've had several good ones at a few local cocktail and whisky bars, but I can't seem to perfect it at home yet.

Sazerac recipe from death & co

More complicated then it needs to be at home but I like the fact that they give brands
If you follow this at least you know it's your fault if it tastes like garbage and not the recipie.
There is an entire chapter on stirring technique so recipe is only half the story. You can use a sugar cube and water instead of the syrup, muddling it with bitters until dissolved before adding the rye to stir but it's a lot more work to make sure you get all the sugar dissolved.

VIEUX PONTARLIER ABSINTHE
1˝ OUNCES RITTENHOUSE 100 RYE
˝ OUNCE PIERRE FERRAND 1840 COGNAC
1 TEASPOON DEMERARA SYRUP (rich simple syrup using Demerara sugar)
4 DASHES PEYCHAUD’S BITTERS
1 DASH ANGOSTURA BITTERS
1 LEMON TWIST

Rinse a rocks glass with absinthe and dump. Stir the remaining ingredients (except the lemon twist) over ice, then strain into the glass. Squeeze the lemon twist over the drink and discard. No garnish.

Allantois fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 21, 2015

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Might get burned for this, but I like a Sazerac with a little more lemon flavor. Cut off the zest of 1/2 a lemon carefully in strips minimizing the pith and muddle that in with your syrup or sugar. It's not classic though.

The recipe in the prior post is solid, incorporating a little brandy in a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio with the whiskey is great, as is using a tiny bit of Angostura. Peychaud's should still be the dominate bitters though.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Allantois posted:

Sazerac recipe from death & co

More complicated then it needs to be at home but I like the fact that they give brands
If you follow this at least you know it's your fault if it tastes like garbage and not the recipie.
There is an entire chapter on stirring technique so recipe is only half the story. You can use a sugar cube and water instead of the syrup, muddling it with bitters until dissolved before adding the rye to stir but it's a lot more work to make sure you get all the sugar dissolved.

VIEUX PONTARLIER ABSINTHE
1˝ OUNCES RITTENHOUSE 100 RYE
˝ OUNCE PIERRE FERRAND 1840 COGNAC
1 TEASPOON DEMERARA SYRUP (rich simple syrup using Demerara sugar)
4 DASHES PEYCHAUD’S BITTERS
1 DASH ANGOSTURA BITTERS
1 LEMON TWIST

Rinse a rocks glass with absinthe and dump. Stir the remaining ingredients (except the lemon twist) over ice, then strain into the glass. Squeeze the lemon twist over the drink and discard. No garnish.

I dislike Cognac in my Sazerac, but I agree with everything else there. I feel like the heavier Demerara syrup adds something extra to it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
has anyone heere ever tried putting some rum into their cola? It is hella good -- youll thank me later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You could also sqeeze in some lime for such a "cuban" kick, the drink would deserve its own name.