Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
1602 Witch Hunter Angela has some nice artwork and I'm easily sold on getting issue 2. I don't know if I'd call it the best of the week (haven't touched Weirdworld yet, the "Hell's Kitchen" storyline is some pretty stiff competition) but I'd certainly say it was way better than I thought it'd be. Dialogue got a bit too cheesy and hard to read at times but it was still overall readable.

I'm not sure what I expected from Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos but I don't think I found what the creators of it wanted me to find. Worst of the week for me, but to be fair this week has been pretty great overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looking forward to just an ordinary raccoon.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Die Laughing posted:

Do you know anything about good dialogue, pacing, plot, action, or art? OML had it all.

I haven't read it! But people were just saying "it is good" without much explanation. Now I might actually pick it up :shobon:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Weirdworld makes every other SW tie in so far look like a pile of poo poo. :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the Angela Witch hunter book. I laughed a lot at the opening where she's just dangling the king on the end of a pike while he ineffectively swiped with his claws.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

I liked the Angela Witch hunter book. I laughed a lot at the opening where she's just dangling the king on the end of a pike while he ineffectively swiped with his claws.

Yeah, I was a little nervous after an initial negative review on these very forums but I thought it was cheesy and absurd in the best ways. Just really over the top and delightful. I've grown to really like these characters so I was glad it turned out so fun.

I'm hoping that's not the last we see of the king's advisor. And I loved the absurdity of Bucky turning into some goddamn spider monster thing.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused and worried about Spider Gwen.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Yeah, I was a little nervous after an initial negative review on these very forums but I thought it was cheesy and absurd in the best ways. Just really over the top and delightful. I've grown to really like these characters so I was glad it turned out so fun.

I'm hoping that's not the last we see of the king's advisor. And I loved the absurdity of Bucky turning into some goddamn spider monster thing.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused and worried about Spider Gwen.

I'm hoping that final page was just not wanting to give anything away about post-Secret Wars plans, and that "TO BE CONTINUED..." won't be left dangling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Weirdworld makes every other SW tie in so far look like a pile of poo poo. :allears:

I wasn't going to get it and then I saw the creative team and I was all over it. Del Mundo is loving murdering it these days.

Has Aaron ever written a Conan comic? Seems right in his wheelhouse.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Deadpool posted:

There is a Centaur Ghost Rider in Ghost Racers. And he has a giant gun attached to his side. Automatically the best book this week.

Holy poo poo, that sounds pretty loving wacky, man. Goddamn. Anyone know where I can buy this fuckshitting book??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Holy poo poo, that sounds pretty loving wacky, man. Goddamn. Anyone know where I can buy this fuckshitting book??

Your local comic shop.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

tenniseveryone posted:

I haven't read it! But people were just saying "it is good" without much explanation. Now I might actually pick it up :shobon:

Didn't mean to come across as rude. It was very good though! It's Wolverine in a post apocalyptic western movie. Check it out, even if you don't personally end up enjoying that much, it's still a well crafted comic.

Weird World is a similarly great book with a bizarre fantasy spin.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Your local comic shop.

Or Comixology, if you don't have a local comic shop/want your local shop to burn to the ground for some reason!

God, I love X-Men '92. Are people reading X-Men '92? It's fun as hell.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
X-Men '92 is amazing and I really want to print a poster of that first promo image. I was 7 years old and it was my first experience with the Xmen. drat, the memories.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

X-Men '92 is amazing and I really want to print a poster of that first promo image. I was 7 years old and it was my first experience with the Xmen. drat, the memories.
You could just buy the one that came out yesterday.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=X-Men+92+%231+By+Pepe+Larra_1428055

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

:dogbutton::catdrugs::shepspends:

edit- ordered. God their site is awful to use. I'm not much for collectables but I've wanted that poster since I saw it.l

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

It's Wolverine in a post apocalyptic western movie.

This is the best description! I was thinking the world reminded me of something and I couldn't put my finger on what. Now that you mentioned it it reminds me of fallout new vegas' world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fallout : Wolverine

I'm hoping that Angela 1602 will have Elizabethan Captain Marvel and Agent Venom.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I thought X-Men '92 was... okay? I mean, aside from a crowd-pleasing aesthetic it seemed like any other X-Men story. Chariot-riding Baron Kelly, aside. I haven't read the second issue yet, though.

Come to think of it, how many X-Men Secret Wars tie-in's are there? Age of Apocalypse, House of M, Old Man Logan, X-Men '92, X-tinction, Years of Future Past... Am I forgetting any?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

El Tortuga posted:

I thought X-Men '92 was... okay? I mean, aside from a crowd-pleasing aesthetic it seemed like any other X-Men story. Chariot-riding Baron Kelly, aside. I haven't read the second issue yet, though.

Come to think of it, how many X-Men Secret Wars tie-in's are there? Age of Apocalypse, House of M, Old Man Logan, X-Men '92, X-tinction, Years of Future Past... Am I forgetting any?

It wasn't super innovative or anything, I guess, but I thought it was a really fun and cute nostalgia trip. :shobon: I think it having a crowd-pleasing aesthetic and feeling like any other X-Men story was honestly part of the appeal. Also, imagining everything in the 90's cartoon voices.

For tie ins, there's E is for Extinction, also. And you could argue Giant Size Little Marvels AvX.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

It wasn't super innovative or anything, I guess, but I thought it was a really fun and cute nostalgia trip. :shobon: I think it having a crowd-pleasing aesthetic and feeling like any other X-Men story was honestly part of the appeal. Also, imagining everything in the 90's cartoon voices.

For tie ins, there's E is for Extinction, also. And you could argue Giant Size Little Marvels AvX.

I guess I let all the praise it was getting build it up in my head some. It was still a well-written book with great art.

Giant Size Little Marvels AvX stands above everything else as it's own piece of perfection.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

El Tortuga posted:

I guess I let all the praise it was getting build it up in my head some. It was still a well-written book with great art.

Giant Size Little Marvels AvX stands above everything else as it's own piece of perfection.

Issue 1 was pretty fun, but issue two was much better. I really enjoyed all of it, but it really does double down on a lot of the 90's cliches and animated series references, so YMMV if that kind of thing is not for you. I loved seeing Xavier in his stupid looking astral armour, all the "Scott!" "Jean!" stuff and just the fun of it. Plus a cameo from Rachel and Miles of Rachel and Miles explain the X-Men podcast fame, although I can see how that might come across as grating to a lot of people.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Endless Mike posted:

You could just buy the one that came out yesterday.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=X-Men+92+%231+By+Pepe+Larra_1428055

Is this in previews, because Midtown wants to charge me 12 dollars shipping on a 9 dollar poster. If it's in previews maybe I can get Hastings to order it for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shawn posted:

Is this in previews, because Midtown wants to charge me 12 dollars shipping on a 9 dollar poster. If it's in previews maybe I can get Hastings to order it for me.
Yes it is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As someone who knows zero about Angela before she shewed up in Guardians, who the hell is Serah?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

As someone who knows zero about Angela before she shewed up in Guardians, who the hell is Serah?

Serah is a new character from the solo book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Serah is a new character from the solo book.

And she's Angela's girlfriend or something?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The extent of their relationship was never really explained beyond the fact that they are good friends that have known each other for a long time.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Their relationship definitely reads as romantic to me, but I almost suspect it isn't purely because it hasn't been said so yet and it's 2015 so you don't have to circle around poo poo like with Mystique and Irene Adler back in the day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well Gillen was writing the book, if he wanted it to be a romantic relationship I'm sure he would have made it that. He's not one for subtlety in that regard.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Well Gillen was writing the book, if he wanted it to be a romantic relationship I'm sure he would have made it that. He's not one for subtlety in that regard.

Yeah, that's what I was trying/failing to get at. It would have been stated, because Gillen. Even though a lot of how they act makes me read it as romantic, the fact that it isn't stated means it likely isn't.

What's weird about it is if you had a male and female character (who weren't related or otherwise romantically entangled with others) going to the lengths they do for one another, addressing each other the way they do, etc, it'd be real easy to assume romance even without it being said. But that's not really the environment as it stands for gay characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really liked the relationship between Hulkling and Wiccan in the original Young Avengers, because it develops totally organically, what with them being friendly to each other, saving each other's rear end in battle a couple times, flirting, etc, but since they're both dudes, you don't really register any of it as the obvious signs of a budding romance unless you're actually looking for it. It's obvious once you re-read it, and if they were a boy and a girl it'd be impossible to miss. It's some clever writing!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool posted:

I think it's probably as romantic as Angela can be right now. I read it as a romance.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

gfanikf posted:

Last issue of Mighty Avengers was spectacular. I really want to play catch up with the rest of the series now. But really this issue was fantastic.

I cried a little. I've been liking Ewing a lot through Mighty Avengers.

edit: And Loki, of course. I really want to read more Ewing.

graybook fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 13, 2015

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

gfanikf posted:

Last issue of Mighty Avengers was spectacular. I really want to play catch up with the rest of the series now. But really this issue was fantastic.

I loved the quote at the end of the editorial page.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I hope Mighty Avengers comes back after Secret Wars, but it's kinda fitting to end there since it started as an Infinity spin-off.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I hope Mighty Avengers comes back after Secret Wars, but it's kinda fitting to end there since it started as an Infinity spin-off.

I'm pretty sure it'll come back as Defenders, or just keep the titling from its Secret Wars book. They were all saying how Avengers didn't fit them anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm pretty sure it'll come back as Defenders, or just keep the titling from its Secret Wars book. They were all saying how Avengers didn't fit them anyway.

It was the Avengers free comic day book that said Avengers didn't fit them. Really I just hope Ewing keeps writing comics, but I could definitely get behind that team being the new All New All Different Defenders.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Skwirl posted:

It was the Avengers free comic day book that said Avengers didn't fit them. Really I just hope Ewing keeps writing comics, but I could definitely get behind that team being the new All New All Different Defenders.

It was in both. Luke and Jessica have a conversation about it in #9.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nobby posted:

It was in both. Luke and Jessica have a conversation about it in #9.

Luke Cage confirmed for New Iron Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm a big dumb idiot who wasn't keeping up with things once Secret Wars really got started. What do I turn to for more Miles Morales action? Does Marvel have a chart or something telling me where to go now that whatever series I was reading has ended?

• Locked thread