Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Looking for stuff to do in London outside of the painfully obvious tourist stuff. I came up with the Hunterian museum and visiting Highgate cemetery. Anyone ever visited these and have an opinion on them? If anyone has any other weird London recommendations would love to hear those too. Interested in things like old record shops, bookstores, tea sellers, antique stores, anything old and British really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Chikimiki posted:

Went to Porto last November for a few days and it's a really cool city, not too big or too small, quite beautiful, and the touristy part is mostly limited to the riverside. Don't know much about the artsy scene there, but the area around Galeria de Paris is a cool nightlife spot. Also, you have nice parks (especially on the southern riverside) and all the Porto wine you could ever drink!
Can't guarantee how it would be staying there for a month though :v:

I'm liking it more than Lisbon, so far as a place to stay for a month. I'm tempted to try out Braga, but I don't want to get caught up bouncing city-to-city every couple days since I'm eager to just settle in somewhere and chill for a bit, and the Liberia contract might get awarded next week which would get me on-track to be back working full-time in July.

I'm thinking more and more that I'll stay in Porto, since Braga is on the small side, and also I do really enjoy being closer to the ocean. Braga would be better for bicycling, which I'm really going to miss since Porto is just ridiculously hilly to the point I'm not eager to buy a bike even for a month stay here.

I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow, so if anyone has any "no gently caress Porto you should totally move to Braga" do let me know.

Looking forward to at least temporarily getting out of travel mode, unpacking my clothes, having some semblance of a daily routine and healthy habits again, at least for a month. Even in just the two days I've been here I've been digging into Porto's music scene, so heading out the door now to attend a jam session of guitarra players, the large mandolin-like Portuguese instrument; cheap but decent ones are as low as €250, so that's going to be my big indulgence while I'm here:

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Best European city/cities to spend a year or two in as a twenty-something?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Want to give us more information than just a vague age range?

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Mostly, I just want to live somewhere that isn't America. I really like the feel of NYC.

Sometime in the next few years I might get the chance to work in a major, non-US city. Just kind of wondering whether the European ones are all basically interchangeable for the purpose of living outside the US.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
London would probably be the closest you can get to feeling like US while being in Europe, and while it wont feel like NYC it does feel similar in a bunch of ways.

Actually, the mroe I think about it the more I think London would be a good place for you. It'd feel noticeably different from the US, for obvious reasons, but compared to the rest of Europe London feels the same way as NYC does compared to the rest of the US, and if you're living in NYC and would have your employer's backing for moving, most of the downsides of living in London that make some goons scream and panic (see the applicable thread) wouldn't apply to you.

Waci fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 12, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'd recommend against London because one of the most awesome things about moving overseas for a year is getting to learn a new language/culture. Doing London when you want to see something different and cool for a year is a waste, IMO.

I've never been to NYC, but Rome is pretty similar to what I imagine NYC is like in a lot of ways. Maybe Barcelona as well? Though they're having huge unemployment problems in Spain right now. Paris and Berlin would be my next runners-up, with Berlin being the way easier of those two to live in if you only speak English.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I'm going to be in southern France next week and renting a car abroad for the first time. What do I need to know about car insurance renting abroad? My credit card does provide collision coverage (so long as all drivers are on the rental agreement, I follow the agreement, etc). Do I need to still get some liability coverage? Is this something that already comes with the rental car (found a thing online that said liability insurance is already baked into rental rates in Europe)? Is there anything else I need to be aware of regarding insurance?

I'd appreciate any other tips about driving through southern France and Provence if anybody has them. We are staying in Cannes, Montpelier, and Carcasonne, with trips in between those cities and some day trips in the areas around them.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
When you rent a car you get an insurance excess included in the price. This is basically the amount you pay to repair the car, you can pay more at the time of rental to lower this excess.
eg. Excess of 2500€ means you will pay all bills on the car up to 2500€
If you plan on smashing the car up, pay for the decrease in excess, otherwise just say no at the car rental desk.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

hbf posted:

Looking for stuff to do in London outside of the painfully obvious tourist stuff. I came up with the Hunterian museum and visiting Highgate cemetery. Anyone ever visited these and have an opinion on them? If anyone has any other weird London recommendations would love to hear those too. Interested in things like old record shops, bookstores, tea sellers, antique stores, anything old and British really.

It's touristy, but it fits the old cliche british thing:

https://www.james-smith.co.uk/

elwood fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 12, 2015

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

hbf posted:

Highgate cemetary is great for spooky gothic architecture. There are 2 cemeteries. One you walk around on your own and you can see the monstrosity that is the tomb of Karl Marx, the other you need to take a tour around and it is all about the amazing spooky gothic architecture. Well worth doing both, especially taking a tour.

http://www.chislehurst-caves.co.uk/
The chiselhurst caves are a pretty fun day out if you want something a bit different from tramping around town with all the other grockles.

If you like bookshops take a walk along Charing Cross road. The Soane museum might also be of interest http://www.soane.org/museum

I'm not sure if it gets included in all the obvious stuff but a day out in Greenwich is always worth while, especially if you have even a passing interest in anything naval.
Kew gardens also often gets overlooked and even if you don't have much of an interest in plants it is a pretty amazing place and then walk back towards the river and have a pint at strand-on-the-green.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

EB Nulshit posted:

Just kind of wondering whether the European ones are all basically interchangeable for the purpose of living outside the US.

Well... every city in the world is interchangeable if your only purpose is to live outside the US. But is that seriously your only criteria? You don't have even the faintest, vaguest interest in any particular European country?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PlantHead posted:

I'm not sure if it gets included in all the obvious stuff but a day out in Greenwich is always worth while, especially if you have even a passing interest in anything naval.

Or clocks/navigation! I found the Greenwich Observatory Museum to be fascinating and I don't know (or care) about the difference between like a galleon and a caravel or whatever. Canary Wharf is interesting to check out since it's on the way to Greenwich (you'll probably change metros there). The Canary Wharf metro stop is pretty impressive given how run-down the rest of the London Underground seem, and the whole business campus is kind of surreal if you go on a Saturday or Sunday--tons of gleaming towers, huge spaces, and you'll only see 2 or 3 people anywhere around. I also liked the Kew Gardens a lot, so would second that too. It'll be busy on a nice weekend, but they'll be locals mostly instead of foreign tourists?

Less touristy: The Pakistani/Indian area of Whitechapel has some great restaurants; check out [your trusted online ratings site; maybe Yelp is in London now?]
Less touristy: Everything on the south bank of the Thames (although, even though I've spent quite a bit of time there, I'm not sure why a tourist, even one going off the beaten path, would go down there except for the major tourist sites of the Shard, the Globe and to walk across the bridges).
Semi touristy: Camden town

asur
Dec 28, 2012

RFX posted:

I'm going to be in southern France next week and renting a car abroad for the first time. What do I need to know about car insurance renting abroad? My credit card does provide collision coverage (so long as all drivers are on the rental agreement, I follow the agreement, etc). Do I need to still get some liability coverage? Is this something that already comes with the rental car (found a thing online that said liability insurance is already baked into rental rates in Europe)? Is there anything else I need to be aware of regarding insurance?

I'd appreciate any other tips about driving through southern France and Provence if anybody has them. We are staying in Cannes, Montpelier, and Carcasonne, with trips in between those cities and some day trips in the areas around them.

The insurance is almost never included in the rental rate that you are quoted before you enter the rental office. Read the fine print from both your credit card company and then rental car company and then decide based on the coverage which option to go with. Credit cards do not normally provide liability insurance so if you want that then you need to get coverage from the rental car company or another 3rd party.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hbf posted:

If you're going up to Highgate (which is great) you should also swing past Hampstead Heath, which is a short walk away and the best park in London. Hyde Park is super crowded and basically just a big paddock, but Hampstead has all these forests and paths and meadows and it's great. Also way less crowded, even in summer. While you're there, have lunch at either the Holly Bush or the Spaniards Inn, two of the best old, atmospheric pubs in the city. The Spaniards is probably the better one in summer. As you leave/arrive via Hampstead tube, nip down Flask Walk and check out the old second-hand bookstore there.

Elsewhere in the city, Daunt Books in Marylebone is probably the best bookstore; huge travel selection across three floors, and the store itself is beautiful - http://www.dauntbooks.co.uk/

If you're into medical stuff like the Hunterian you might also like the Garret, up in an attic and containing the oldest operating theatre in Europe - http://www.thegarret.org.uk/.

Climbing Monument only costs a few quid and afford great views - http://www.themonument.info/.

I'll echo Greenwich, even if you don't go to the maritime museum (which you should because it's good). It reminds me of Hampstead in that it sort of feels like a little village just dropped into the city. The park is great and has enormous views, you can go up to the observatory and stand on the Meridian Line, and there's a pretty neat antique store sort of across the road from Greenwich DLR - http://www.greenwichmarketlondon.com/shops/detail/the-junk-shop.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

RFX posted:

There are poo poo ton of toll roads in France. Basically all of the big highways: I think all roads starting with A will have tolls. They're smooth, divided highways and probably just about worth it for travelling between your 3 cities (although they're operated by a bunch of different companies nationwide so each toll plaza is different and they're often just plopped right in the middle of a stretch of road), but for actually seeing the countryside and driving through farmland and villages, the N roads are way better.

These sites have more info about the tolls and how to get one of them fancy "easy pay" thingies.
http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/tolls-france/
http://www.tolltickets.com/country/france/libert.aspx?lang=en-GB

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

EB Nulshit posted:

Mostly, I just want to live somewhere that isn't America. I really like the feel of NYC.

Sometime in the next few years I might get the chance to work in a major, non-US city. Just kind of wondering whether the European ones are all basically interchangeable for the purpose of living outside the US.

You really need to give some basic info here on your background (career field, languages spoken, cultural/hobby interests) and on your ambition/intent living overseas.

That said, my generic answer would be Berlin. It's a really cool place, cost of living is moderate, and it's extremely cosmopolitan. Also if you don't speak another language, a certain niche of jobs in Germany are English-speaking offices where all the work is done in English anyway, so all they ask is that you just speak enough basic German so you aren't miserable trying to order a beer or pay your cellphone bill outside of work. I spent a month there, speak practically no German, and had almost no hassle at all going places, buying stuff, etc.

Berlin is vaguely NYC-esque in terms of being a very large and international city with massively strong public transport (also hugely bikeable, much more so than NYC). Also it's kinda hipstery, lots of Brookyln-esque stuff going on. But without the staggering rents of living in the NYC area.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

EB Nulshit posted:

Do you already speak any other language? Even like the basics? It's a lot easier to start learning if you already can at least read a newspaper (even if you can't speak/understand the language spoken at a normal pace). If it's only a year or so, I'd recommend going to a country where you speak or at least are somewhat conversational in the language, especially if your work is 100% in English. If you're actually interested particularly in learning a language, maybe negate what I just said, but people don't learn very much just by osmosis if they're working in English and hanging out with English-speaking expats--kind of like how everyone who does Study Abroad in Budapest (or wherever) only learns 6 words of Hungarian and never meets a local. If this all sounds like it applies to you, I guess I'd recommend London, Berlin, and (if you want a more boring time) anywhere in Scandinavia or Zurich. Otherwise, Madrid is a really lively place and might get my vote.

It sounds like you're going to have a job in the US that will transfer you over to Europe? In that case finding a job in Spain or Italy wouldn't be a problem, since you'll be sent there anyway, and it should open up a lot of options.

(I moved to Switzerland when I was 22 and eventually picked up conversational French by osmosis, like 3-4 years later, but I also know many other people here who never learned anything past beginner's French in 4-5 years. I went there for a year at first, and then ended up liking it a lot and I stayed.)

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

You really need to give some basic info here on your background (career field, languages spoken, cultural/hobby interests) and on your ambition/intent living overseas.

That said, my generic answer would be Berlin. It's a really cool place, cost of living is moderate, and it's extremely cosmopolitan. Also if you don't speak another language, a certain niche of jobs in Germany are English-speaking offices where all the work is done in English anyway, so all they ask is that you just speak enough basic German so you aren't miserable trying to order a beer or pay your cellphone bill outside of work. I spent a month there, speak practically no German, and had almost no hassle at all going places, buying stuff, etc.

Berlin is vaguely NYC-esque in terms of being a very large and international city with massively strong public transport (also hugely bikeable, much more so than NYC). Also it's kinda hipstery, lots of Brookyln-esque stuff going on. But without the staggering rents of living in the NYC area.

Going to repeat the biking part of Berlin. I suggest to absolutely everyone who will hear it to rent / buy a bike in Berlin and go exploring. Great city for it.

Also going to nth suggest Berlin if you're looking for something akin to NYC. Some sections remind me of Chicago, some of NYC, some of Portland, OR, but with a bit of its own history and style going on too.

If you're looking to get a bit off that, the Barcelona suggestion was good too. Infinite close travel opportunities not at all far from the city as well. Spain also has drat near every micro-climate except arctic wasteland and tropical rainforest, so if you're into the outdoors at all, there's that.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The obvious answer for Europe that feels like NYC is Frankfurt. You have a subway, you have highrises, you pay a lot of rent, you have a decent amount of junkies, and you have a lot of licked, always-busy bankers. :colbert: Or find a flat in Canary Wharf, I suppose.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm not sure I understand the desire to move to "somewhere that isn't America", with seemingly little thought going into it beyond that in terms of what you'll do there for work etc. I think Berlin is probably the best choice though, but the only other major city-like cities I've been to aside from Berlin is Zurich and Copenhagen, so take that for what it's worth.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 14, 2015

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Thanks for all the London info Freebooter, PlantHead and elwood.

Another question. I'm going to be there for 4 days and was planning on buying an Oyster card at Heathrow. Is it best just to load cash on it? Or should I buy daily passes? Or just go for a week?

I'm guessing most of my travel will be in Zones 1-3 and it seems like a daily anytime pass for zones 1-4 is 12 pounds. Do i have to buy a daily pass every day? or can you buy multiple at a time, like buy the next 3 days at once?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hello friends, I have 15 days off starting monday. I am an airline pilot based in Atlanta and will be flying on standby. I will go from Atlanta to Brussels and take it from there. I have friends in Belgium so its no big deal if I get stuck there.

I am looking at visiting Slovenia, specifically, Ljubljana, a few days in Bled, then maybe Vienna to visit a friend. I have never been to any of these places. Any advice? I have been making this decision in the last few hours so I am reading as much as I can. It all seems beautiful and very photogenic. My birthday is June 22 so I was thinking of heading back to Belgium and spending it with my friends. Should I try to stay in the Slovenia/Austria area instead?

If anyone has been in these places I would appreciate some general advice.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

hbf posted:

Thanks for all the London info Freebooter, PlantHead and elwood.

Another question. I'm going to be there for 4 days and was planning on buying an Oyster card at Heathrow. Is it best just to load cash on it? Or should I buy daily passes? Or just go for a week?

I'm guessing most of my travel will be in Zones 1-3 and it seems like a daily anytime pass for zones 1-4 is 12 pounds. Do i have to buy a daily pass every day? or can you buy multiple at a time, like buy the next 3 days at once?

Put money on the card. If you travel less than what it would cost to buy a travelcard for the day, it will deduct money appropriately. If you do enough trips that they add up to or beyond the cost of a day pass, the Oyster card will only charge as much as the daily pass would have been. You can read more about it here: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/price-capping#on-this-page-1

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Animal posted:

Hello friends, I have 15 days off starting monday. I am an airline pilot based in Atlanta and will be flying on standby. I will go from Atlanta to Brussels and take it from there. I have friends in Belgium so its no big deal if I get stuck there.

I am looking at visiting Slovenia, specifically, Ljubljana, a few days in Bled, then maybe Vienna to visit a friend. I have never been to any of these places. Any advice? I have been making this decision in the last few hours so I am reading as much as I can. It all seems beautiful and very photogenic. My birthday is June 22 so I was thinking of heading back to Belgium and spending it with my friends. Should I try to stay in the Slovenia/Austria area instead?

If anyone has been in these places I would appreciate some general advice.

Rent a car. I don't know if suicide lanes still exist (I've been told they did in Yugoslavia) but if they still do don't use them.

Go to the caves at the south of the country too, they're awesome.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
When's a good time to go to Iceland? I'm thinking you could see it at it's Icelandiest in Winter but that could pose some problems. Summer might be easier, but it might not be Icelandy. Somewhere in between maybe?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
The daylight/darkness differences are extreme there. If you go during Winter you'll get just a couple of hours of daylight which would be a shame because there is plenty of scenery to enjoy. There won't be that much snow either if that's what you imagine as something Icelandic. The only upsides that I can think of is that planes and hotels will be cheaper and that you'll have a better chance of watching aurora borealis.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hey travel goons, my fiance and I are planning a trip to Europe for the last two weeks of September and I’d welcome any advice or feedback from the thread. Our itinerary is pretty wide open but I was thinking something along the lines of Berlin>Prague>Vienna>Salzburg>Munich, spending 2-4 days in each city. It’d be great to hear any recommendations for awesome sights or experiences. Our main interests are art, history (the older the better), food, and the outdoors, although we’re open for any suggestions. In addition to any general advice I have two questions:

1) For first timers in these cities, what’s a good amount of time to see the can’t miss sights and explore around a bit? Of course we want to see as much as possible, but I’d rather get a good look at 3-4 cities than rush through 5.

2) It looks like most of the places I listed above are a 4-5 hour train ride apart, but there are also night train options, for example Berlin to Prague. According to bahn dot de these rides are longer, which is fine, but also involve multiple changes. Are these just stops or are they legit get-out-and-change-trains changes?

Thanks!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Heads up on that Munich trip, you're walking right into Oktoberfest season. If that's what you're there for, great! If you've got no interest, you should be prepared for slightly elevated prices on most hotel rooms, and odds are good that finding one may be a bit difficult. You may want to start setting that date/dates soon.

The Vienna-Salzburg-Munich trip you described is almost the exact itinerary of one that I made a few years back to go to Oktoberfest. I've never been to Prague, so I can't say, but depending on what you're into:

Berlin - 4 days (more if you're into museums, of which there are several very, very good ones). I could easily spend a week at a time in Berlin though. There is a LOT to see and do.
Prague - ???
Vienna - 3-4 days. I think it's a pretty cool town, and has some neat scenery and food/bev to explore if that's your thing. I can get more specific if you like.
Salzburg - 1 day, 2 tops. Quaint, picturesque, but sleepy. Mozart's birthplace is here if you're into that. Also a really, really good monastic brewery ( http://www.augustinerbier.at/index.php?id=brauerei_augustiner&L=1 ) with several awesome food vendors inside. One of their beer halls boasts incredibly intricately carved wooden seating and decor. You'll see what I mean if you go. And you should definitely go. It was one of the few things I liked about Salzburg.
Munich - 3-5 days, depending on your Oktoberfest proclivities. You could easily while away a day in the tents throwing back strong beer. It's actually very possible to entirely bypass the tents / Oktoberfest happenings around Munich though if that's not your thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

AKA Pseudonym posted:

When's a good time to go to Iceland? I'm thinking you could see it at it's Icelandiest in Winter but that could pose some problems. Summer might be easier, but it might not be Icelandy. Somewhere in between maybe?

It really depends on what you want to see.

Travel is harder in the winter, but it's very beautiful, in a wintry way. Also you'll only get like 4 hours of daylight a day.

Summer is nice and warm, but still Nordic for sure. It's still going to be Icelandy, because, well, it's Iceland. Travel is also way easier from place to place, as you say.

Basically, Iceland is very nice to visit year-round, depending on what you want to get out of it.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

FaceEater posted:

Awesome stuff

Thanks for the info! We were planning on hitting up Oktoberfest for a day and then doing the usual Munich stuff, so I definitely need to look into hotel rooms soon. I'd love to hear any specific recommendations you have for Vienna.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Depends on what you want to do. I went during the summer solstice and it was great considering we'd planned on doing a ton of hiking and driving. There's no northern lights, but you can still go hike around a glacier and all of that.

I'm sure a lot of the things we saw would be beautiful in winter and I'd love to go there some day when it is, but we also would have seen a lot less.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

If you're coming in Winter make sure to bring a book or something because I don't know how you're going to spend 20 hours of darkness every day. The Blue Lagoon is lit up and there are a couple of museums but you can do all that in two days. Reykjavik is no Berlin or London, on the third day you'll start running out of options. At the same time you'll be frustrated that you're going to see just a fraction of all the amazing outdoor stuff (geysers, glaciers, volcanoes, hiking...) that you would've seen if you came when there's more daylight.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

If you're coming in Winter make sure to bring a book or something because I don't know how you're going to spend 20 hours of darkness every day. The Blue Lagoon is lit up and there are a couple of museums but you can do all that in two days. Reykjavik is no Berlin or London, on the third day you'll start running out of options. At the same time you'll be frustrated that you're going to see just a fraction of all the amazing outdoor stuff (geysers, glaciers, volcanoes, hiking...) that you would've seen if you came when there's more daylight.

This.
It is great to go in Winter if you book yourself a hotel out in the sticks and plan to drink whisky and watch the northern lights and just generally relax and read a book. If you want to get out and see the countryside then go in the summer.

BogginHarry
Nov 23, 2004

How feasible does the following general route through south-east Europe look? I will probably be starting in early August and I think I'll want to be getting into Istanbul by the end of September at the latest. I'll be travelling solo, mainly staying in hostels and will be booking things as I go, so it's quite flexible:

(Possible day-trips/side-trips in brackets)

Salzburg (Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt) ---- 4 nights
Ljubljana (Bled) ---- 4 nights
Zagreb (Plitvice) ---- 3 nights
Split (Hvar/another island) ---- 4 nights
Sarajevo ---- 4-5 nights
Belgrade (Novi Sad) ---- 4-5 nights (I'm thinking I could get a cheap return flight from Sarajevo)
Mostar ---- 2 nights
Dubrovnik ---- 2-3 nights
Kotor ---- 2 nights
Shkoder ---- 2 nights
Tirana (Berat) ---- 3-4 nights
Lake Ohrid ---- 2 nights
Skopje ---- 2 nights
Sofia (Plovdiv/Veliko Tarnovo) ---- 2-3 nights
and then to Istanbul

I know it gets quite busy from Kotor onwards, but this would put Bulgaria at mid-September so I should have quite a few days spare to add as I see fit.

Any other recommendations or advice along this route would be very welcome.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Curl_like_smoke posted:

Salzburg... history (the older the better) ...

Go check out Festung Hohensalzburg which was originally built in 1077 (!). You can take a self-guided tour and walk around the grounds for a few hours. They continued to expand it over time but it's still pretty neat and has a great view of the city.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

BogginHarry posted:

How feasible does the following general route through south-east Europe look? I will probably be starting in early August and I think I'll want to be getting into Istanbul by the end of September at the latest. I'll be travelling solo, mainly staying in hostels and will be booking things as I go, so it's quite flexible:

(Possible day-trips/side-trips in brackets)

Salzburg (Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt) ---- 4 nights
Ljubljana (Bled) ---- 4 nights
Zagreb (Plitvice) ---- 3 nights
Split (Hvar/another island) ---- 4 nights
Sarajevo ---- 4-5 nights
Belgrade (Novi Sad) ---- 4-5 nights (I'm thinking I could get a cheap return flight from Sarajevo)
Mostar ---- 2 nights
Dubrovnik ---- 2-3 nights
Kotor ---- 2 nights
Shkoder ---- 2 nights
Tirana (Berat) ---- 3-4 nights
Lake Ohrid ---- 2 nights
Skopje ---- 2 nights
Sofia (Plovdiv/Veliko Tarnovo) ---- 2-3 nights
and then to Istanbul

I know it gets quite busy from Kotor onwards, but this would put Bulgaria at mid-September so I should have quite a few days spare to add as I see fit.

Any other recommendations or advice along this route would be very welcome.

I'd shave a night off Sarajevo... Maybe Ljubljana too but I haven't been to Bled so I don't know if it's worth staying longer.
Plitvice are half way between Zagreb and Split so spend a night there to save some travel time.
Hvar and Dubrovnik are connected by ferry and boat ("katamaran") so consider that route. Maybe it's a personal thing but I love summer ferry rides, even though they take longer than boat. And they definitely beat bus rides.

BogginHarry
Nov 23, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'd shave a night off Sarajevo... Maybe Ljubljana too but I haven't been to Bled so I don't know if it's worth staying longer.
Plitvice are half way between Zagreb and Split so spend a night there to save some travel time.
Hvar and Dubrovnik are connected by ferry and boat ("katamaran") so consider that route. Maybe it's a personal thing but I love summer ferry rides, even though they take longer than boat. And they definitely beat bus rides.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was working on the general route for quite a while and had thought about Hvar to Dubrovnik via ferry, but I couldn't think of a nice way inland to Belgrade via Sarajevo from there without having to do more or less the same route again back down to Kotor.

Since I won't be in a huge hurry (I already would have about ten spare days to hit my "Istanbul by end of September" target without shaving any days off), I'll probably be happy enough to spend a bit longer in Ljubljana and Sarajevo just to ease the pace and soak up the atmosphere.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We were totally fine in Ireland with our American credit cards but I assume the continent, Italy specifically, has adopted the chip more. We gonna be ok?

Also, we're planning a break neck pace in Italy for two weeks. Worth it to rent a car or stick with rail? I drove a stick in Ireland no problem. Rome will be last and I would ditch the car then.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

France Belgium and the Netherlands, the kiosks won't take a card without a chip, but ticket counters will. When I was in Rome last summer their metro worked ok without a chip. I went ahead and ordered a bank card with a chip just last week once I got back. Chipless cards work, for now, but I nearly missed my flight out of Paris because I couldn't find an REB train ticket counter for the longest time. The number of ATM machines that will take them worldwide is shrinking, I was in Cartagena last winter and only one bank still takes them there.