Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
this fifa thing is going to go down as his whole legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trinidads TV6 have a stream on their site, we tuned to it and go into a currently airing news show that's talking about Warner, and not 20 seconds later saying how John Oliver slammed him on their channel and quoting bits.

Warner responded "no comment", apparently.

http://www.tv6tnt.com as I'm sure it'll come back again.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
http://www.tv6tnt.com/home/rotator/the-mittens-of-disapproval-are-on-306717081.html

Didn't he buy a whole hour? Is there more than this

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Just 5 minutes

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

An hour? Do you think HBO has Jack Warner kind of money to throw around?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Both parts, actually: What Kansas is doing *and* the federal government stepping in. I honestly don't know how much authority the Feds have to mess with state governance.
The U.S. government is predicated on the idea that, while the rabbling masses may be emotional and unjust and self-destructive, representatives in office would be able to find a way to govern, because the alternative is the collapse of the State and/or nation. Assuming that a government would resist its own destruction is a basic axiom, like 1+1=2. What Kansas is doing, and what some Republicans threatened to do with the debt ceiling shutdown, is to reject that basic axiom. If they continue down this road, the concept of what is "legal" is not really the most meaningful concern, because laws have not been written to deal with situations like this, in the way that math textbooks don't mention what 2+1 might be in the case that 1+1 is not 2.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

The U.S. government is predicated on the idea that, while the rabbling masses may be emotional and unjust and self-destructive, representatives in office would be able to find a way to govern, because the alternative is the collapse of the State and/or nation. Assuming that a government would resist its own destruction is a basic axiom, like 1+1=2. What Kansas is doing, and what some Republicans threatened to do with the debt ceiling shutdown, is to reject that basic axiom. If they continue down this road, the concept of what is "legal" is not really the most meaningful concern, because laws have not been written to deal with situations like this, in the way that math textbooks don't mention what 2+1 might be in the case that 1+1 is not 2.

At some point the Federal govt will pull out and stop giving the state any money if they continue, which will result in a catastrophic implosion as all major business leave the state and anyone with a lot of cash leave and move to a stable state.

If they actually do attempt to defund the judicial branch then it's anyone's guess what happens because even though its an insane violation of the basic tenets of functioning government there's no protocol in place for what to do and its going to be a massive logistical problem that will takes years if not decades to fix.

Maybe the Tea Party will finally fall off as an actual party once there is a case study of a normal US state turning into a failed government hellhole and requires billions of dollars of federal help to restore such basic services like water, power, fire fighters and police, trash collection, etc.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

pentyne posted:

Maybe the Tea Party will finally fall off as an actual party once there is a case study of a normal US state turning into a failed government hellhole and requires billions of dollars of federal help to restore such basic services like water, power, fire fighters and police, trash collection, etc.

We both know that when this happens, the Tea Party will begin to champion funding the infrastructure, decrying the impact on the average, hard-working American being screwed over by the actions of The Government, and declare that we have always been at war with Oceania.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

If they actually do attempt to defund the judicial branch then it's anyone's guess what happens because even though its an insane violation of the basic tenets of functioning government there's no protocol in place for what to do and its going to be a massive logistical problem that will takes years if not decades to fix.

A metric fuckton of federal habeus lawsuits that will probably quickly escalate to the supreme court having to say whether Kansas has to get their poo poo together or just release everyone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

Didn't this already happen to a town in Colorado where they can't even afford to keep the streetlights on? (Except nobody has bailed them out.)

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't this already happen to a town in Colorado where they can't even afford to keep the streetlights on? (Except nobody has bailed them out.)
It was Colorado Springs, but it wasn't because they couldn't afford it, it's because they specifically decided to take a poo poo on poor neighborhoods.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Inferior Third Season posted:

It was Colorado Springs, but it wasn't because they couldn't afford it, it's because they specifically decided to take a poo poo on poor neighborhoods.

Didn't they hire private fire/security or something too for just their neighborhoods?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Didn't they hire private fire/security or something too for just their neighborhoods?

I think that was the framing device for the movie Cuffs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

A metric fuckton of federal habeus lawsuits that will probably quickly escalate to the supreme court having to say whether Kansas has to get their poo poo together or just release everyone.

Not only are the Federal Courts not going to be happy, I'd think that the various rederal law enforcement and regulatory agencies aren't going to be to happy to opperate in a state without a Judiciary. Not to mention most businesses. Which should make everyone in Kansas super happy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I live in Kansas. gently caress me.

I wonder if this will significantly impact public universities and schooling still in session.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I know the Supreme Court is supposed to be impartial case-by-case but if Kansas pulled this poo poo and I had to deal with it, I'd have a natural tendency to gently caress over Kansas forever

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The law won't last, but Brownback will still be elected again and again and again because Kansans outside of Kansas City metro are awful.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Is that even legal?

It hasn't done it since the end of Reconstitution, but yes it's legal according to scholars. Basically the Federal government would declare that Kansas no longer has a government as a state and needs intervention.

It would have to get bad but I'm guessing no paying your public service and your judiciary will cause it to happen really quick.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

sbaldrick posted:

It hasn't done it since the end of Reconstitution, but yes it's legal according to scholars. Basically the Federal government would declare that Kansas no longer has a government as a state and needs intervention.

It would have to get bad but I'm guessing no paying your public service and your judiciary will cause it to happen really quick.

Maybe take the opportunity to give Puerto Rico the statehood it deserves. One in - one out.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7CBxfRUaw

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What the gently caress is up with that music

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does he realize what he's done?

Of course not, he's clearly a dingo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There must be a youtube equivalent for the Mark Twain quote about picking a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel, right? Maybe something about people who get paid per page view?

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

I love how the music's volume keeps increasing until you can't even hear him anymore around the middle.

Also, it's wonderful that he is wearing such a silly Hawaiian shirt.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Sunday's show is going to be AMAZING

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

...but he's not american?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

An hour? Do you think HBO has Jack Warner kind of money to throw around?

Isn't Trinidad and Tobago practically a third world country? I wouldn't have thought it would be that expensive.

Fake edit: Wikipedia seems to indicate that my assumption was wrong.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

:monocle:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
John Oliver is a Muslim-American ferriner. That is amazing.

I mean, yeah, unless you're in England, he's quite obviously a frrrriner, as this dude claims. But Muslim-American??

At least, that's what it sounds like he's saying. Sounds like he's going full-on Tea Party on Mr. Oliver.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 12, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

Muslim-American ferriner.

That is most definitely not what he said.

I think it's "mostly American"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

He really wants to paint this as the heroic stand of a local boy against the TYRANNY of... comedians. Okay, I get the complaint that Oliver's bit was possibly (if not probably) in some way offensive to the population of Trinidad and Tobago (personally, I'm a little surprised Warner didn't go with the angle of British colonialism for calling John out). But he's making this sound like the beginning of the end for their culture for simply allowing Oliver to buy a couple of minutes to have such mockery take place.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Is that piece of music anything? It would be amazing if, of all things, the video got taken down on copyright grounds.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Hulk Smash! posted:

Is that piece of music anything? It would be amazing if, of all things, the video got taken down on copyright grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeEDQMLtyGY

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks. What are the odds that a guy like Jack Warner bothered to get licensing for that piece? :v:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

...but he's not american?

He's a naturalized American citizen.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Mr. Fowl posted:

He's a naturalized American citizen.

John Oliver is a permanent resident of the US, but he isn't a citizen yet.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

That is most definitely not what he said.

I think it's "mostly American"

I'll take your word for it. I repeated that snippet 10 times and could only come up with "Muslim American," which didn't make sense... but given how much sense the rest of this guy has been making since the indictment, including when he "proved" the US was up to some shenanigans by referring to an article in The Onion, I honestly could see how he'd try to throw that in there.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does muslim even have massive negative connotations in trinidad?

I certainly never heard that in the video anyway.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hakkesshu posted:

What the gently caress is up with that music

I'm going to be disappointed if they don't use it as the theme song for next Sunday's show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IRQ posted:

Does muslim even have massive negative connotations in trinidad?

Maybe, Muslims are ~5% of the population there and (more importantly perhaps) Hindus are ~18%.

• Locked thread