Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

They took away the TAD exemption for the PRT. You absolutely need to have your CFL run a PRT for you because Dhalgren will be a bag of dicks about it and you'll be the only one who pays for it in the end.

Truth. In fact, school houses will in general go out of their way to not help you in this matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

You can either try to find fun doing that or become another boring CVIC/JIC IS like the rest of us.

1 weird trick to get promoted, senior enlisted HATE it!

that's what i was thinking. they were most likely trying to upsell me it, but they were like "COME SHOOT GUNS, WEAR GUACS, DO COOL poo poo HOOYAH" so it piqued my interest.

also, i figure doing some time with the riverines would leverage me into picking up the Ground NEC easier?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Their mission aside the nice thing about those jobs/communities is that they're small and more OFP and can skate. Other problem is the hooyah motto faggots and such. All that being said I'd do it but I wouldn't run around calling myself a war fighter wearing molle backpacks with RIVERINE SWIFT DEADLY SILENT hoodies or w/e

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Their mission aside the nice thing about those jobs/communities is that they're small and more OFP and can skate. Other problem is the hooyah motto faggots and such. All that being said I'd do it but I wouldn't run around calling myself a war fighter wearing molle backpacks with RIVERINE SWIFT DEADLY SILENT hoodies or w/e

my seabee buddy is in the riverine squadron i would be going to and he said they squash "swicc syndrome" real fast, cause theres the occasional dudes who think they are operators.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh ok that's good I figured they'd be rife with that poo poo since the ones who don't actually do poo poo are the most motarded

SWCC "we're basically SEALs!"
Riverine "we're basically SWCC!"

Throw someone an M4, M9, NVGs, cammie paint, or w/e and they lose their minds

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah but to be fair, SWCC does go through their own version of BUD/S, and they are actually in NSW.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah, SWCC is legit.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I went to work yesterday, realized I didn't want to be there. Also realized I have 70+ days of leave so I don't have to be.

Feels good to not be at a sea going or training command and actually use them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

I went to work yesterday, realized I didn't want to be there. Also realized I have 70+ days of leave so I don't have to be.

Feels good to not be at a sea going or training command and actually use them.

I'm having a chill time in New Orleans. City traffic is pretty hosed up but the food has been great so far.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

My C-way apparently says I was selected to stay in the Navy, but I would have to cross rate. Put in my 1306 to separate at my EAOS so they match up my PRD and once I get my separation package going Ill be able to stop by PSD and find out what my leave days are as the civilian that signs off on all the separation stuff said they have the most accurate counter for leave days. Apparently the counters on an LES and in NSIPS have a history of being miscalculated but civs at PSD have access to a database that "might" be up to date by the day instead of a guesstimation. Also :lol: I missed picking up by like 5 points on my final multiple, yet scored higher on the actual test itself than a lot of the people that picked up at this command. Still going to have to take the next exam before I get out.

In other news, if you're having thoughts about killing yourself, or you know someone that is, let someone know. Filling out a suicide event report can suck pretty bad because its 110 questions of digging into someone's life to find out what led to their death/attempted suicide and what may have been done differently to prevent it. There's a thread with information on a Hangout support group started by GiPpers if you want to chat with some dudes and there's suicide chatlines if you dont feel like talking over the phone with someone.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Not an Onion article

Navy Stands Up Development Command to Breed Elite Surface Warfare Officer posted:

The Navy is in the midst of a surface warfare renaissance after 15 years of lower-end tasks in the backgrounds of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In addition to beefing up its weapons and material readiness to wage a high-end fight, the surface community is also borrowing lessons from the naval aviation to train a new cadre of elite surface warfare officers (SWOs).

Formally stood up on Tuesday in San Diego, Calif. ceremony, the Naval Surface and Mine Warfighting Development Center (NSMWDC, pronounced: Smi-Dik) seeks to pluck high preforming junior officer SWOs for intensive training in either amphibious warfare, integrated air and missile defense (IAMD) or a combined course in anti-submarine and surface warfare (ASW/SuW).

Retired Vice Adm. Tom Copeman — then commander of U.S. Surface Forces — outlined the idea in 2014 in a piece in Proceedings.

“At a rough level there are going to be three school houses — these are going to be the top SWOs — that create warfare tactics instructors in three discipline areas,” NSMWDC commander Rear Adm. Jim Kilby told USNI News on Monday.

Graduates — like those from the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center’s “Top Gun” predecessor (Naval Fighter Weapons School) — will be peppered throughout the fleet as warfare tactics instructors (WTIs) bound for ships and classrooms as a resident “patch wearer” class of SWOs

“That means we’re purposely building these warfare tactics instructors and detailing them to specific locations where they can teach a standardized method for all of those warfare areas assigned,” Kilby said.

Surface Navy leaders have long bemoaned the steady atrophy of high-end warfare skills as demands of Iraq and Afghanistan called mostly for lobbing Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAM) at land targets and ballistic missile defense (BMD) and not coordinating a multifaceted and complex air, surface and anti-submarine war against a sophisticated enemy.

“Due to the nature of the conflicts since the end of the Cold War, the Navy, and the surface fleet specifically, have valued strike warfare over other mission areas. As a result, surface force sea control programs, skills, and capabilities have diminished and, in some cases, were eliminated,” wrote current U.S. Surface Forces commander Vice Adm. Thomas Rowden in 2014 when he was the Office of Chief of Naval Operations (OPNAV) director of surface warfare (N96).

“As we rebalance to the Pacific, we must properly prioritize procurement and training to firmly establish our preeminence in war-at-sea capabilities, specifically so we can persistently execute these missions in any maritime environment where our access might be challenged.”
In the last six months the surface force has made calls for increasing the power of surface ships, accelerating new weapons and positioning its fleet toward more complicated engagements in a move to increase SuW specifcally dubbed, distributed lethality.

Part of that effort is material but often overlooked is the personnel needed to execute the ideas

“I see [WTIs] becoming a huge part of distributed lethality,” Kilby said.
“We’re very persistent and obvious on Vice Adm. Rowden’s radar. As an example we have folks involved in the distributed lethality organizing principle, how we’re going to flesh that out and what that means.”

Eventually, NSMWDC hopes to graduate 110 WTIs a year — 40 IAMD, 40 ASW/SuW and 30 amphibious warfare — with a goal of having either an IAMD or ASW/SuW WTI on each surface ship and an amphibious WTI on every amphibious ship.

“Ultimately our goal is to send these folks to a baseline course that’s roughly five weeks long and then they’ll go to those three locations to get their specialized training in those discipline areas,” Kilby said.

NSMWDC will be headquartered at Naval Station San Diego, Calif. with the three schoolhouses spread between California (ASW/SuW), Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren, Md. (IAMD) and a planned amphibious WTI effort to with a location to be determined.

The IAMD portion is the most mature and is currently in its fifth class of training WTIs with graduates already in the fleet.

In addition to the WTI development, NSMWDC is also spinning up a training regime for the surface fleet called Surface Warfare Advanced Tactical Training (SWATT, pronounced: Swat).

In April, NSMWDC conducted a pilot SWATT program at sea to test the concept.

“The SWATT piece is a different pillar in increasing tactical proficiency and that’s taking ships to sea after they go through their basic training in their home ports but before they go and conduct a strike group wide composite unit training exercise,” Kilby said.
“That will also be taught by WTIs and other experts but it’s really different than the WTI curriculum.”

Eventually there will be a SWATT presence on both coasts, he said

http://news.usni.org/2015/06/09/navy-stands-up-development-command-to-breed-elite-surface-warfare-officer

Prediction: Graduates will be even more insufferable.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It sounds dumb but it's direly needed.

Bear in mind that we're so woefully inadequate in the SuW realm that we're actively moving forward with TLAM (you know, the missile the article references for attacking land targets) to fill in the role. Even that requires an exceptional amount of understanding and planning to conduct an at sea engagement that you just don't get on a ship.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Boon posted:

It sounds dumb but it's direly needed.

Bear in mind that we're so woefully inadequate in the SuW realm that we're actively moving forward with TLAM (you know, the missile the article references for attacking land targets) to fill in the role. Even that requires an exceptional amount of understanding and planning to conduct an at sea engagement that you just don't get on a ship.

It's easy for people to make fun of this program but this is exactly what the community has been requesting for years. I think the people chortling at the comparison of WTI to Top Gun have very little understanding of what WTI or even Top Gun is.

Surface Warfare really needs people specialized and better trained in weapons systems to use them in the fleet and ultimately make the surface fleet stronger. I've seen some excellent officers take orders for WTI and it capitalizes on their at sea experience with actually decent training that will better serve the ships when they come back to sea duty.

This is all about continuity in experience and training. A step in the right direction.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Do we get to learn how to use cutlasses and boarding pikes?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Do we get to learn how to use cutlasses and boarding pikes?

Boots still clean below deck then die off camera :chiefsay:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Agreed, the Navy and our military are incredibly gay

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm loving the irony of awarding WTI patches to people who don't wear uniforms that you can put a patch on. :v:

That being said, in all honesty it sounds like a fine idea. Not to get all Kool-Aid about it, but the NSAWC weapons schools and WTI model is pretty drat useful at developing and disseminating tactics to the fleet.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
The Surface Navy is in absolutely no position to be picky or selective. Last I checked, retention for DH rides was something like 3 in 10, and that's *after* they wave $125k worth of SWOCP in people's faces. We need to scale back our missions and stop signing up (or bending over) for 10 months worth of box ops for multiple carriers in CENTCOM.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Why does maryland have the dumbest liquor laws? No wonder why no active duty person here likes it, goddamn.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
The surface navy doesnt sign carriers up for anything. This is an unequivocally good thing for the surface community.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SWO WTI's are a good idea, but unless the way we train and certify ships fundamentally changes they will fail in every conceivable way in practice.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

SWO WTI's are a good idea, but unless the way we train and certify ships fundamentally changes they will fail in every conceivable way in practice.

What will kill it quicker than anything it's if they don't pick actual good dudes for the spots.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Is this the new SWO school? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF3bRXDMXdU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

What will kill it quicker than anything it's if they don't pick actual good dudes for the spots.

This is true of anything really. I don't think we have any good metric as SWOs to figure out who is a good fit. Honestly, I would rather have someone who honestly wants to try it then a guy with good FITREPs.

That said, we're never going to even get a chance to figure out if we're picking the right people if we don't take the power away from ATG and the folks that embed themselves like ticks and think that they are some divine authority on what "right" is based solely on the ball cap they wear.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BRB having nightmare flashbacks

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If you pretend to worship the ground they walk on they can be somewhat cool.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

This is true of anything really. I don't think we have any good metric as SWOs to figure out who is a good fit. Honestly, I would rather have someone who honestly wants to try it then a guy with good FITREPs.

That said, we're never going to even get a chance to figure out if we're picking the right people if we don't take the power away from ATG and the folks that embed themselves like ticks and think that they are some divine authority on what "right" is based solely on the ball cap they wear.

Yes and no. The big problem that SWO WTIs are going to have initially is a large amount of skepticism from the wardroom and the front office. So you need an individual who can overcome that.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

squarerandom posted:

Why does maryland have the dumbest liquor laws? No wonder why no active duty person here likes it, goddamn.

Go to the class 6 on base. Plenty of cheap liquor at almost every hour.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

squarerandom posted:

What dumb laws? Not selling booze in a supermarket? It sucks, but every supermarket near me has at least one liquor store nearby.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Mad Dragon posted:

What dumb laws? Not selling booze in a supermarket? It sucks, but every supermarket near me has at least one liquor store nearby.

Supermarkets not having booze is a pretty dumb law.

Sir Lucius posted:

Go to the class 6 on base. Plenty of cheap liquor at almost every hour.

Aww yah, thanks.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think the one on Meade used to be open 24/7, but I've been there at 3 am before and they've been closed. I've also been there at 1 am before buying Jack Daniels, so who knows. My favorite is getting off work after a night shift, and while everyone else is getting coffee or whatever I'm buying a 12 pack of beer.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
DID SOMEONE SAY COASTAL RIVERINE SQUADRON????

It's gonna be my first and only command in a six year contract. I made a post in another Navy thread about it.

If you go to a reserve one you'll be with a bunch of exhausted, hateful people.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

The surface navy doesnt sign carriers up for anything. This is an unequivocally good thing for the surface community.

Those were 2 separate statements. And I was speaking in generalities: CNO, USFFC, SURFPAC and SURFLANT could probably be giving a *little* bit more push-back than the occasional remark by the CNO. Our Navy isn't sustainable with our current model or budget.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

squarerandom posted:

Supermarkets not having booze is a pretty dumb law.
In the history of dumb laws in this gay state, that's pretty low on the list.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/244740-navy-to-christen-ship-in-honor-of-gabby-giffords

Stupid and weird.

Bring back the USS Shangri-La!

edit: I guess they're just following the convention that if you're a politician and get shot in the dome you get a USS named after you.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

DustyNuts posted:

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/244740-navy-to-christen-ship-in-honor-of-gabby-giffords

Stupid and weird.

Bring back the USS Shangri-La!

edit: I guess they're just following the convention that if you're a politician and get shot in the dome you get a USS named after you.

If racists and traitors can get subs and carriers, then I don't see why she cant' get named a LCS.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ryand-Smith posted:

If racists and traitors can get subs and carriers, then I don't see why she cant' get named a LCS.

I know what racist got a carrier, but traitors?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
The Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and the Dixon, (States rights is codeword for "I hate negroes/I failed history"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ryand-Smith posted:

I hate negroes/I failed history

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Ryand-Smith posted:

The Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and the Dixon, (States rights is codeword for "I hate negroes/I failed history"

Apparently parts of the South didn't get the memo that they lost the war- there's a construction site that has a big Confederate flag proudly displayed on the grills of one of their trucks and a tiny sticker US flag on the passenger side window of a dump truck.

• Locked thread