Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Interesting native change:
Natives don't automatically damage empty colonies now (maybe only after a battle they win), they have to siege it down one cycle like an unfortified province. Which leads to a 500 stack of natives sitting on colony, unable to progress the siege. I only noticed this when I set army maintenance to 0 and lost a battle. Gave me infinite time to come back with an actual stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Question about colonizing as a "new world" nation. I'm Cuzco, I have most of south america and I'm making my way up north into mexico. A lot of the central american native powers still exist, but are blobbed around by British Mexico. I can't take on GB, but I can easily gobble up the central americans. The problem is a few of their territories are cut off from me, and after I annexed them they became a colonial nation, Cuzcan Mexico.

Am I hosed and those will be colonial nations forever, or is there a way to integrate them once I get a land connection? I understand the mechanics why this happened but it seems ridiculous that a 1-province gap in my conquest resulted in a huge colonial nation vs someone doing the same thing in europe would just have some disconnected territory or a vassal.

Also, is there a goon EU4 irc channel or anything?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 11, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Are separatist rebels being able to near-instantly siege down a province and give you umpteen more years of nationalism an intended change? Didn't see anything about that in the hotfix :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Odobenidae posted:

Are separatist rebels being able to near-instantly siege down a province and give you umpteen more years of nationalism an intended change? Didn't see anything about that in the hotfix :(

This is why you need to station troops in rebellious areas. I find a couple units with the rebel hunting orders within 3-4 provinces distance is enough to take care of an area and engage the rebels before they take the province. You get plenty of warning when rebels are going to pop up, for the most part. In my experience anyways they often seem to move off the province they spawn on and assault the nearest fort, which gives your army way more time to arrive

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I don't know how any of you were able to play with the Macbook trackpad, I once tried and it was the most tedious gameplay experience. :psyduck:
Even with the Apple magic mouse, it was terrible. I eventually bought a "normal" mouse with a normal scrollwheel just for EU4.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Wiz posted:

quote:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.
Authority is not enough, votes have to be in favor as well.

Since Embassies were removed, the Emperor has one less Diplomat to suck up to HRE members with. I wonder if that could play a role.

Elman posted:

Just ran into a weird bug:

My annexation isn't making any progress cause my dip points are negative, but my points just won't go up. Every month I get 1 diplo for an instant, then it drops back to -5.

Is the percent complete going up?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Senso posted:

I don't know how any of you were able to play with the Macbook trackpad, I once tried and it was the most tedious gameplay experience. :psyduck:
Even with the Apple magic mouse, it was terrible. I eventually bought a "normal" mouse with a normal scrollwheel just for EU4.

Tedious how? Did you not use the arrow keys for moving the map around?

Before the patch it was a very easy game to play on the track pad. I'm just glad I haven't had to fly anywhere, EU is one of my goto airplane games because of the ease of playing with the trackpad (and the ability to just stare as the days go by).

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Hell, I've played it with a wacom pen on my tablet. A touchpad is perfectly usable unless the macbook ones are weird somehow.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jackson Taus posted:

Since Embassies were removed, the Emperor has one less Diplomat to suck up to HRE members with. I wonder if that could play a role.

Probably just a weak Emperor, a 2pm Emperor won't be passing reforms under any circumstances.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Senso posted:

It's totally fine? Paradox games are great for trackpads/laptops because you don't need to do a lot of fast or precise movements. It's like browsing the web or something, just kinda clicking here and there and scrolling around.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I crushed some zealot rebels who were sieging and the game likely added their siege time to mine after the garrison finally gave up for this message. :v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Can someone give me a quick rundown of what the proper/optimal way to feed provinces to a vassal before diplo-annexing them is? Or what I should be looking out for to make that process go smoother? I'm familiar with the basics and giving them their old/taken cores is obvious, but I've watched a bunch of streams/videos of good players do it and they always seem to be checking some kind of mental (or actual) math when it comes to giving a vassal more land. I'm assuming they're making sure the vassal doesn't get overwhelmed and go down some kind of perpetual rebellion hellhole, but what are they actually checking?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So, who's the emperor in everyone's games? Austria seemed to lose control of the HRE very quickly in my game. After a brief interval where Bohemia was emperor, the HRE's been glued to Brandenburg ever since.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baronjutter posted:

Question about colonizing as a "new world" nation. I'm Cuzco, I have most of south america and I'm making my way up north into mexico. A lot of the central american native powers still exist, but are blobbed around by British Mexico. I can't take on GB, but I can easily gobble up the central americans. The problem is a few of their territories are cut off from me, and after I annexed them they became a colonial nation, Cuzcan Mexico.

Am I hosed and those will be colonial nations forever, or is there a way to integrate them once I get a land connection? I understand the mechanics why this happened but it seems ridiculous that a 1-province gap in my conquest resulted in a huge colonial nation vs someone doing the same thing in europe would just have some disconnected territory or a vassal.

They'll be colonial nations forever, UNLESS you get a land border, release them, then declare war and annex them. No other way, unfortunately.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Bold Robot posted:

It's totally fine? Paradox games are great for trackpads/laptops because you don't need to do a lot of fast or precise movements. It's like browsing the web or something, just kinda clicking here and there and scrolling around.

To each his own, I guess. I found that zooming in and out was very imprecise with the trackpad (like wanting to zoom out just a tiny bit would zoom out completely, etc.), as with moving around the map or dragging a box around a specific unit, etc. But then again, I only use it for light web browsing, anything more complex than that I use a mouse.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Allyn posted:

They'll be colonial nations forever, UNLESS you get a land border, release them, then declare war and annex them. No other way, unfortunately.

drat, that sucks. I'll probably try to cheat around this. PS how do I find out my TAG when I'm a custom nation?

I could release them then diplo-annex them with yesman cheat I think.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

Is the percent complete going up?

I was absolutely sure that it didn't but I checked again and it does :psyduck: Guess it's just a display bug.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VDay posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of what the proper/optimal way to feed provinces to a vassal before diplo-annexing them is? Or what I should be looking out for to make that process go smoother? I'm familiar with the basics and giving them their old/taken cores is obvious, but I've watched a bunch of streams/videos of good players do it and they always seem to be checking some kind of mental (or actual) math when it comes to giving a vassal more land. I'm assuming they're making sure the vassal doesn't get overwhelmed and go down some kind of perpetual rebellion hellhole, but what are they actually checking?

Feed your vassal anything of that isn't an accepted culture or has high coring costs. You also want to avoid sending them over 100% overextension or they'll explode. You can't check vassal OE but their OE will match yours so if you're still new to vassal feeding check on the peace deal how much adding the land to your country would add, and then transfer occupation to your vassal once you're sure its <100.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

drat, that sucks. I'll probably try to cheat around this. PS how do I find out my TAG when I'm a custom nation?

Debug mode in the console shows tag and prov ids

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 11, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

VDay posted:

(I am not an expert, but I'll try to help)

Vassals have over-extension just like you do. Additionally, religious and cultural factors come into play - ideally you want the vassal to accept all of its cultures. Since the acceptance threshold is (usually) 20% of their (hopefully lower than yours) development, you want to give them provinces they can accept or are close to being able to accept, so that they can convert those provinces or at least get more use out of them.

AE is another factor - you get all the AE your vassal gets, so vassal-feeding only helps you AE-wise if the vassal has a core/claim on the province and you don't.

Finally, you need to keep track and make sure you don't feed your vassal so much that they become a threat. Pre-AoW, I could feed a vassal half of Central Europe without a care, but now that's a heck of a lot of Liberty Desire.

Rincewind posted:

So, who's the emperor in everyone's games? Austria seemed to lose control of the HRE very quickly in my game. After a brief interval where Bohemia was emperor, the HRE's been glued to Brandenburg ever since.

Right before the Emperor died in my Saxony game, he got into a war defending the Empire so he stole the election from me. This doubly sucked because I wound up doing most of the fighting in that war since Austria decided to screw around with dumb Italian stuff instead.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 11, 2015

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Rincewind posted:

Saxony is the emperor in my current game and they are actually doing pretty well (mostly because I took 6 provinces from Austria, including Wien). It is 1616 and they have only passed 2 reforms, but they just won the league war so they might actually be able to get more done. They ended up eating all of Brandenburg, Mecklenberg, Brunswick and half of Bohemia.

So, is there actually any penalty for not having enough seats in parliament? I haven't noticed anything so far.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baronjutter posted:

You can use the console command debug_mode. That tells you province IDs/country tags. Iirc the default for the first custom nation is D00 (zeroes, not os).

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jackson Taus posted:

AE is another factor - you get all the AE your vassal gets, so vassal-feeding only helps you AE-wise if the vassal has a core/claim on the province and you don't.

This was not the case during El Dorado, I'm not sure if it changed with Common Sense. I tested it and verified that in several situations my vassals were picking up AE when taking land. I checked before / after a peace deal and verified that I didn't pick up any and that my vassal did.

I tried this with feeding Novgorod's land to my starting vassals as Muscovy, and with feeding Kazan's territory to Golden Horde via tribal CB. So in the former I declared war with my own CB, and in the second situation I used my vassal's CB to declare war. It seemed to work the same way.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Traxis posted:

So, is there actually any penalty for not having enough seats in parliament? I haven't noticed anything so far.

It puts the seats down for you. I got an event where one of my cities demanded a seat in Parliament: I had a choice between giving them a Seat, or losing -1/-1/-1 in that province permanently.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Jackson Taus posted:

It puts the seats down for you. I got an event where one of my cities demanded a seat in Parliament: I had a choice between giving them a Seat, or losing -1/-1/-1 in that province permanently.

How long does that event take to fire? I've been running with like 6 seats for a century without noticing anything bad happening.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Allyn posted:

You can use the console command debug_mode. That tells you province IDs/country tags. Iirc the default for the first custom nation is D00 (zeroes, not os).

Ah that's awesome, thanks guys. That's what I love about EU4, if something fucky does happen you have the commands available to correct things.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

I'm quite proud of little Hesse being able to hold onto the throne so effectively in my game. The first Hessen emperor was only elected by 2 votes, but they've since had a stranglehold on the elections.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, I've played the game for hundreds of hours, but I've never really paid attention to how war goals work in specific situation. Maybe someone here can clarify:

With the reconquest casus belli it says I get 75% cost for full annexation. Is this just for provinces that are cores, or is this for everything I take from that country? I am just wondering if it's better to use the regular conquest casus belli if I am going to take a bunch of provinces.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Rincewind posted:

How long does that event take to fire? I've been running with like 6 seats for a century without noticing anything bad happening.

No clue. Strictly speaking I don't even know if that event is related to not having enough seats, but I had had low seats warning for a while and then it fired. It wasn't like immediately after I conquered/cored something (to my knowledge), so it could just be a normal event.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Rincewind posted:

In my longest TO game thus far it was Austria until 1500, then Bohemia (just in time to pick up some of Burgundy) until about 1560, then Brandenburg got a turn followed by Ravensburg (?!?) until 1620. After the disastrous rule by Ravensburg, Austria has picked it back up.

The Religious Leagues never triggered, but I attribute that to one of the centers of Protestantism popping up in Naxos, of all stupid places. The only heretical religion in the HRE is Reformed.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
A warning to anyone going for Buddhists Strike Back:

Once you have a decent amount of power, try to make sure anyone with the Rajput idea group doesn't live very long.

I made the mistake of westernizing so now I'll have to core all this since I can't make vassals in India anymore. Can you diplo-annex client states?

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 11, 2015

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Tsyni posted:

Ok, I've played the game for hundreds of hours, but I've never really paid attention to how war goals work in specific situation. Maybe someone here can clarify:

With the reconquest casus belli it says I get 75% cost for full annexation. Is this just for provinces that are cores, or is this for everything I take from that country? I am just wondering if it's better to use the regular conquest casus belli if I am going to take a bunch of provinces.

The modified amounts are just for the named war results, I believe. So if you're reconquesting for cores, you get 25% AE for cores you take back but would then take 100% for non cores. If you were to use the conquest CB then it's only 75% the AE and I believe (don't recall if this is true) use the return core tab to regain your core without any AE.

It also never seems to work properly with regards to vassal CB's so depending what cores you're retaking there might be no point.

If I'm horribly wrong someone will correct me but that's how I understand it works.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Trujillo posted:

I made the mistake of westernizing so now I'll have to core all this since I can't make vassals in India anymore. Can you diplo-annex client states?

Yes, they're just like any other vassal. Can't you release a vassal and use that? I thought the restriction was only on vassalizing extant nations.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yashichi posted:

Yes, they're just like any other vassal. Can't you release a vassal and use that? I thought the restriction was only on vassalizing extant nations.

When I go to create subjects it makes protectorates. Does anyone know if increased coring costs means it costs more to diploannex them too?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Netherlands (formed from Gelre) keep transferring trade power to Great Britain. Even during a war between them. They are also rivals. Sounds like a small bug to me.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I don't know how possible this is, but could we ever redo peace deals to have both sides concede things? I'm reading up on the Congress of Vienna and EU doesn't have that ability to say 'you lose: give me these six provinces, I'll make a mild concession with this one of your culture' or something.

e: maybe this is only relevant in MP, where peace deals are often about redrawing borders rather than just taking stuff.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
So once you discover all the land in the Americas/Australia - I guess you can't look for phat loots via the lost cities? Bummerino.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Obliterati posted:

I don't know how possible this is, but could we ever redo peace deals to have both sides concede things? I'm reading up on the Congress of Vienna and EU doesn't have that ability to say 'you lose: give me these six provinces, I'll make a mild concession with this one of your culture' or something.

e: maybe this is only relevant in MP, where peace deals are often about redrawing borders rather than just taking stuff.

Pretty sure they talked about this early in the life of EU4 but I don't think the AI knows how to handle both giving stuff and taking stuff in a peace deal.

Or maybe that was something from Victoria 2? Though I bet the peace deal system us very similar across their games.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I don't know if this was intentional or not but the Native American buildings cost around 84 ducats each (not including increased price in harsher climates). The whole point of the cheap buildings was to give the Native Americans something to build and do while they wait for the Europeans to arrive, as well as a way to make money. Development has made the buildings less worthwhile as most provinces in North America are fairly poor, and with the increased cost of them getting the much needed benefits is extremely harsh. I hope something is done to fix this, as along with the first idea group at adm 5 this really slows and screws over the Native Americans.

Edit: Upon further investigation the buildings cost 100 ducats and they can only have 1 per province. Increasing development may get you more, but almost every province is 1/1/1, Pequot is the largest at a whopping 4/2/2.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Rincewind posted:

Austria is the Emperor in my Ottoman game and they've passed five reforms by the 1540s (!). I'm starting to worry they'll just unify the empire at this rate, I might have to pull the trigger on them earlier than I thought.

At least Poland is my ally, so if they ever stop being defensive towards me it shouldn't be hard.

• Locked thread