Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

thats why apple is unstoppable

lol you're insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nintendo Kid posted:

lol you're insane

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

then a few years later larry page did an interview with vinod kholsa and made it clear that he's decided to rationalize their current path as a great strategy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdnp_7atZ0M

quote:

VK: Let me go back to Larry. As CEO of Google, a lot of these guys have board members who keep saying, Focus on a few things. Self-driving cars is one. You’ve done some things in health and others. How do you decide what’s focused and what’s unfocused?

LP: I’ve been thinking about this change quite a bit over the years. I think it sounds stupid if you have this big company, and you can only do five things. I think it’s also not very good for the employees. Because then, you have 30,000 employees and they’re all doing the same thing, which isn’t very exciting for them. So I think, ideally, the company would scale the number of things it does with the number of people in a linear fashion. As far as I can tell, that never happens. It’s logarithmic with the number of people, if that. I would always have this debate actually, with Steve Jobs. He’d be like, ‘You guys are doing too much stuff.’ And I’d be like, ‘Yeah that’s true.’ And he was right, in some sense. But I think the answer to that – which I only came to recently, as we were talking about this stuff – is that if you’re doing things that are highly interrelated, then there is some complexity limits. It’s all going to escalate to the CEO, because you have things that are interrelated. At some point, they have to get integrated. A lot of our Internet stuff is like that. The user experience needs to make sense. It needs to feel like you’re using Google, not that you’re using something else. So I think there is a limit on how much we can do there, and we have to think carefully about it. Everything about the automated cars is like– Sergey can do that, and I don’t have to talk to him. I like talking to him. But I don’t really have to talk to him about that, because there’s almost zero impact on the rest of our business. Although it does use some great engineers who we have on mapping and other things. Naturally, they move to that project, but that’s a scalable process. I don’t have to talk to those engineers. They just move magically. So I do think companies usually try to do very adjacent things. They figure, “We’re going to know exactly how to do something that’s very similar to what we already do.” The problem with that is that causes a management burden. Whereas, if you did something a little less related, you can actually handle more things.

but really its cause he's following the microsoft playbook of trying to keep employees in google with PR projects like google x. they also have formalized this microsoft strategy by paying people who do nothing to not leave http://www.businessinsider.com/how-google-keeps-execs-from-leaving-2015-5

they do this for even losers who arent important like matt cutts where as the only known apple employee to have this status is scott forstall (and he was in a privileged position so its actually worth doing) and maybe katie cotton for years of being a loyal soldier.

the motivating factor for google to do this is fear that some other startup will eat their lunch and that fear exists because larry knows fundamentally their company has no durable moat compared to apple (40 years old and still owning)

cremnob fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 8, 2015

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

permanent ban cremnob:toot:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

im the liaison

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
microsoft is a wildly successful company.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Nintendo Kid posted:

microsoft is a wildly successful company.

depends on your def of success

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

depends on your def of success

what are you even doing

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

cremnob posted:

comments from former/current google employees on HN. won't be long until google is destroyed

interesting fact: fuzzy mammal came from microsoft

People fired from Google bad mouthing Google, I'm sure everything they say is the truth.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
i want to work for google

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

cremnob is the internet equivalent of a little kid in a car kicking the back of a seat nobody is sitting in

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Paige: keeping 30000 children entertained

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

cremnob is the internet equivalent of a little kid in a car kicking the back of a seat nobody is sitting in

pls don't insult children like that

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

Larry Paige: keeping 30000 children entertained

more of a fit to their actual business model than their current mission statement, i tell you what

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

interesting fact: fuzzy mammal came from microsoft

:forkbomb:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

cremnob posted:

quote:

I wouldn't recommend working there unless you are on a researchy project (eg. Brain), or you are focusing on things aside rom your career (eg. Many employees with families tolerate working there because of the good pay and benefits)
ugh, adults

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

The Leck posted:

ugh, adults

Don't work at Google unless you like to be paid money because sometimes it's boring. I work as a McDonald's cashier because the constant threat of being fired/fired upon really gets my blood pumping.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Boxturret posted:

pls don't insult children like that

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
he is displeased with google

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

thats some discrete math 101 poo poo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ludwig van Halen posted:

what, writing homebrew or inverting a binary tree?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stringent posted:

what, writing homebrew or inverting a binary tree?

errr binary trees
anyone doofus can write a dumb ruby thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

most people will indeed react to that in a job interview with "huh, what the gently caress?" even if they know what to do

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

you mean to tell me computer science is a branch of mathematics?? you expect me to do math?? gently caress off google

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ludwig van Halen posted:

you mean to tell me computer science is a branch of mathematics??

it is not, no matter how much they want you to believe otherwise

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stymie posted:

it is not, no matter how much they want you to believe otherwise

it was in the old days, but ya i agree that most comp sci programs today don't teach any math

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ludwig van Halen posted:

it was in the old days, but ya i agree that most comp sci programs today don't teach any math

math was only ever tangentially related to programming and used as a justification to allow programming courses in universities rather than relegating them to vocational colleges

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

other way around

prefect's a nobody

can confirm

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

don't know who that is but lol at him

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

he's the guy that wrote the package manager that everyone uses on OS X

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
jet fuel cant invert a binary tree on a white board

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

he's the guy that wrote the package manager that everyone uses on OS X
mac app store?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mac app store is actually a pretty bad package manager

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
what the gently caress does it mean to invert a binary tree? a binary tree is not really a special case generic directed graph because the edges are semantically labelled. considering it as one anyway and then inverting the edges erases or changes basically every interesting property of binary trees and disallows the assumed specialized representation

do they mean reversing a binary tree, so that left nodes become right nodes? that is completely trivial and anybody who can't do even a simple recursive solution (perfectly reasonable if it's guaranteed balanced) ought to be ashamed of themselves

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

rjmccall posted:

what the gently caress does it mean to invert a binary tree? a binary tree is not really a special case generic directed graph because the edges are semantically labelled. considering it as one anyway and then inverting the edges erases or changes basically every interesting property of binary trees and disallows the assumed specialized representation

do they mean reversing a binary tree, so that left nodes become right nodes? that is completely trivial and anybody who can't do even a simple recursive solution (perfectly reasonable if it's guaranteed balanced) ought to be ashamed of themselves

I'm a UX designer and I have no idea what a binary tree is

edit: ok so how would an inverted one look? same as in the link below only with the arrows facing the other way?

https://hbfs.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/diagram1-2.png

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rjmccall posted:

it means "i have had a certain level of schooling at google's pre-approved list of educational institutions and this test is used as a way to skirt laws regarding hiring practices"

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

rjmccall posted:

maybe turn it upside down so that you have a list of leafs that all end at the head
either way, lol that someone can't do it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stymie posted:

it means "i have had a certain level of schooling at google's pre-approved list of educational institutions and this test is used as a way to skirt laws regarding hiring practices"

ufarn
May 30, 2009
alternative reason is google really don't care for onboarding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MeruFM posted:

maybe turn it upside down so that you have a list of leafs that all end at the head
either way, lol that someone can't do it

not knowing the correct question is different from not knowing the answer, he is a little vague there though about which it was

• Locked thread