Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Alright… I just finished the finale, and I have no idea how Major somehow went for my least favorite character to my most favorite over the course of the series. Impressive.

Season 2 really can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Oasx posted:

I don't quite understand what the police captain was doing, he shot himself in the leg and then blew up the building, was he planning on running away before the explosion, or is his plan to escape from the morgue while everyone thinks he is dead?

He shot himself so he could write "Blaine is the head of the zombie mafia" (Not actually what it says but that's what Seattle PD is supposed to figure out now) in blood. And I'm pretty sure he's 100% dead now, that was a suicide because he hated being a zombie

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What a ragin' episode. I love how they handled all the complaints that people were building up during the season, from unleashing the zombie apocalypse by killing Blaine to why Liv didn't tell Major earlier. Also it was a great choice to use sassy girl brains.

Now what do I watch?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Major's 13 episode journey is one of the coolest I've seen on TV. From generic cardboard love interest cutout to hilarious downtrodden zombie-hunter in 13 short episodes, and totally believable every step of the way.

Edit: kind of reminds me of Wesley's arc on Angel, but in like 1/10th of the time

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 10, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Major's 13 episode journey is one of the coolest I've seen on TV. From generic cardboard love interest cutout to hilarious downtrodden zombie-hunter in 13 short episodes, and totally believable every step of the way.

Edit: kind of reminds me of Wesley's arc on Angel, but in like 1/10th of the time

I just hope it doesn't end up in the same way.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Etalommi posted:

What a ragin' episode. I love how they handled all the complaints that people were building up during the season, from unleashing the zombie apocalypse by killing Blaine to why Liv didn't tell Major earlier. Also it was a great choice to use sassy girl brains.

Now what do I watch?
Hannibal and Orange is the New Black are all we have, all summer long.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

DarklyDreaming posted:

He shot himself so he could write "Blaine is the head of the zombie mafia" (Not actually what it says but that's what Seattle PD is supposed to figure out now) in blood. And I'm pretty sure he's 100% dead now, that was a suicide because he hated being a zombie

Since he didn't suffer any head injuries, i think there is a good chance that he could still be "alive"

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

DarklyDreaming posted:

He really should have just emailed a confession from his phone. But yeah, when Suzuki got to Meat Cute he knew the game was up and decided to check out. At first I thought he was going to stage yet another shootout with him surviving, which was probably the intent of the scene.

Major is the surprise character of the show and I can't wait to see more of him.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
What did he write on the wall? I didn't get a clear look at it and deleted the episode off of my DVR. I agree that the shootout scene was the coolest thing and I'm glad that he didn't just instantly forgive Liv and make everything all better.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He wrote Blaine's name

Oasx posted:

Since he didn't suffer any head injuries, i think there is a good chance that he could still be "alive"
I think he exploded

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

He wrote Blaine's name

I think he exploded

They carried him out in a bodybag, he was badly burned but definitely intact with a recognizable face.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

They carried him out in a bodybag, he was badly burned but definitely intact with a recognizable face.

Blast injuries do bad bad things to your brain.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If it helps (probably doesn't) I'm holding out hope for The Whispers, Mr. Robot, Dark Matter, Killjoys, True Detective, and Sense8. But since these are summer shows... meh.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

If it helps (probably doesn't) I'm holding out hope for The Whispers, Mr. Robot, Dark Matter, Killjoys, True Detective, and Sense8. But since these are summer shows... meh.

Westworld.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

And The Genius. Korean game show, which is by far the best thing on TV this summer.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
You're the Worst is (supposedly) coming back in July and that fits the snarky comedy niche that iZombie occasionally dabbled in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bamhand posted:

He also had shrapnel sticking out of his head which doesn't exactly bode well.

I'm assuming next season we'll have more with the Max Rager scientist because it seems kind of a waste of time to introduce him and have multiple scenes with him just to kill that subplot off.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

He also had shrapnel sticking out of his head which doesn't exactly bode well.

I'm assuming next season we'll have more with the Max Rager scientist because it seems kind of a waste of time to introduce him and have multiple scenes with him just to kill that subplot off.

Iron Tusk posted:

Blast injuries do bad bad things to your brain.

Yeah, I'm not saying he's definitely alive but he's also not definitely dead either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone was wondering, the song playing over the final moments was Okkervil River's "Your Past Life As A Blast"

Peyton coming back is definitely up in the air. The actress isn't a series regular and she was kind of incidental to stuff going on.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the song playing over the final moments was Okkervil River's "Your Past Life As A Blast"

Peyton coming back is definitely up in the air. The actress isn't a series regular and she was kind of incidental to stuff going on.

Rob Thomas already told Sepinwall that they wrote Peyton out like they did because Aly Michalka booked a pilot and they wanted to give her character an out. The pilot didn't get picked up, so she's free to return, wants to return, and Thomas has an idea on how to fold her into the next season in a significant way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Walk away from this" needs to be in the thread title now.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

You're the Worst is (supposedly) coming back in July and that fits the snarky comedy niche that iZombie occasionally dabbled in.

September. And how nobody has mentioned Strike Back I do not know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Rob Thomas already told Sepinwall that they wrote Peyton out like they did because Aly Michalka booked a pilot and they wanted to give her character an out. The pilot didn't get picked up, so she's free to return, wants to return, and Thomas has an idea on how to fold her into the next season in a significant way.

Speaking of her, I'm pretty sure I saw her in a teeth whitening commercial yesterday.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rhyno posted:

"Walk away from this" needs to be in the thread title now.
iZombie "Walk away from this."
makes it sound like the show is so much worse than it is.

vvv Just some dude, Blaine picked of the street somewhere.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 11, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but who was the fake major in the hoodie with tape over his mouth?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Nevvy Z posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but who was the fake major in the hoodie with tape over his mouth?

Just some random guy they kidnapped to be fake Major.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Why didn't Liz ask them to lower his hoodie? She really isn't good at this

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

dik-dik posted:

Why didn't Liz ask them to lower his hoodie? She really isn't good at this

It's called Hollywood writing to advance the plot. As soon as the headlights went on it was blatantly obvious it wasn't him.

Edit: Liz should have said something along the lines of do you really think I'll fall for something do obvious and dumb? I'm not Amish. I have a TV. Then have Blaine knock her down or something and just take the brains.

jabro fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 11, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Liv was on dumb teenager brains, may have had something to do with her poor judgement.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Read posted:

Liv was on dumb teenager brains, may have had something to do with her poor judgement.

^

That's my headcanon and I'm sticking to it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Yeah. Liv is a fairly sheltered, upper-middle class, law abiding doctor, not a criminal. I don't see her getting ripped off by the criminal mastermind in a hostage exchange while hopped up on teenager brains as bad writing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah. Liv is a fairly sheltered, upper-middle class, law abiding doctor, not a criminal. I don't see her getting ripped off by the criminal mastermind in a hostage exchange while hopped up on teenager brains as bad writing.

That would be have to be some Kimmy Schmidt level of sheltering. This isn't even some criminal mastermind level of trickery. When asked to see Major, Blaine blinded her with headlights and showed some guy in a hood. The Wet Bandits are bigger criminal masterminds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was kind of worried that the season would end with Liv being able to call up all the knowledge and abilities she brain sampled over the season and using it to stomp Blaine and his cronies. It was so much better to see Major do it.

How did Major become the best character on this show?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rhyno posted:

How did Major become the best character on this show?

So far he's been the only character to act rationally and he's also good looking and a bad rear end. I hope he remains a zombie for next season though, that streak of white in his hair looked great, they can be a zombie super hero duo. Unless the writing turn lovely next season I can't see anything but a friendly/crime fighting relationship between major and liv.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Goddamn that was a great finale. I really wanted Blaine to die but I knew he was far too "main character" for that to happen.
At least they destroyed his operation and effectively defeated him by "depowering" him. It was funny how quickly he turned into bitch mode once the only thing that gave him control was gone. Right back to punk-rear end street dealer mode.
I want to see Major turn into some kind of zombie daywalker in season 2.

One thing about the last part of the season that I thought was odd though - the whole "astronaut brains" thing. It was weird how it was just so casually a background thing, like they intended to make more of it but couldn't do anything with it so they dropped the plot line as well as they could. Wouldn't you think that an astronaut being murdered and having his brain removed is the kind of thing that would catch wider attention? I don't think Zombie Police Captain would be able to cover that up.

Oasx posted:

They haven't been terribly clear on everything that can "kill" a zombie. Like obviously there's the old "bullet to the brain" standard, but there was that one episode where they were going to try killing Blaine with poison, and they mentioned that zombies still have a heartbeat and apparently are able to heal, so maybe stake through the heart would work too? Either way, being at the center of a humongous gas explosion I think can reasonably count on "not even a zombie is gonna walk away from this."

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Personally every time I've been in an hostage exchange involving a loved one I've been extremely level headed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Read posted:

Personally every time I've been in an hostage exchange involving a loved one I've been extremely level headed.

How often has that happened, exactly? :raise:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

raditts posted:

How often has that happened, exactly? :raise:

Well, it wasn't his loved one. Just someones loved one.
Everyone has to earn his money somehow.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ElCondemn posted:

So far he's been the only character to act rationally and he's also good looking and a bad rear end. I hope he remains a zombie for next season though, that streak of white in his hair looked great, they can be a zombie super hero duo. Unless the writing turn lovely next season I can't see anything but a friendly/crime fighting relationship between major and liv.
Despite being in the dark about the "zombie" thing, they actually gave him something to do in uncovering it, which helped a bit with expanding the mythology of the show. I'm certainly a little worried what they can do with him next season without simply turning him into a foil for Liv. They blew his load and let him have his badass zombie hunting moment. Unless he like starts rounding up other people who want to hunt down rogue zombies or something with the help of Liv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

One thing about the last part of the season that I thought was odd though - the whole "astronaut brains" thing. It was weird how it was just so casually a background thing, like they intended to make more of it but couldn't do anything with it so they dropped the plot line as well as they could. Wouldn't you think that an astronaut being murdered and having his brain removed is the kind of thing that would catch wider attention? I don't think Zombie Police Captain would be able to cover that up.

There were multiple tv reports about a missing astronaut in the background of various scenes. It is a big deal. The story is just a missing man though, not a murder victim with a missing brain, because the body hasn't been found yet. There is nothing that needs covering up.

• Locked thread