Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

He's saying people thought Narset was good because they were thinking how good she would have been in last season's UW deck with Supreme Verdict without considering that 1) the good cards in UW rotated anyways, and b) waiting an extra turn to rebound Verdict already is sucky to begin with.

yes this. people were d reaming of UW from standards past and forgetting that a lot of the cards that made that deck good just weren't around anymore. i'm sure theres a deck where shes good in low amounts or maybe sideboard-only, but everyone was dreaming of just chaining boardwipes in a card game where you can't afford to not play anything useful on turn 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Death Bot posted:

yes this. people were d reaming of UW from standards past and forgetting that a lot of the cards that made that deck good just weren't around anymore. i'm sure theres a deck where shes good in low amounts or maybe sideboard-only, but everyone was dreaming of just chaining boardwipes in a card game where you can't afford to not play anything useful on turn 4.

I don't even think its a guarantee she was a great card in Theros UW...she'd be okay, but I don't honestly know if I would say "yes she is definitely better than Jace AOT."

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I'm still dying over Tromple.
Name a card, gain 1 life had me rolling. It's the perfectly designed card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jace AOT is much better, although Narset would out perform him against combo decks that don't play creatures or permanents or any spells on turn 4.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Jace AOT is much better, although Narset would out perform him against combo decks that don't play creatures or permanents or any spells on turn 4.

So...Belcher?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

a dozen swans posted:

So...Belcher?

AoT is better against belcher because he blanks the empty the warrens plan.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think mcmagic is right in that the card is powerful or at least provides very unique effects, the issue is whether Standard supports it at the time. I don't see why claiming a card is good or bad now is any more definitive when it came out, especially when it's still Standard-legal for a while.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The card is only as good as adding rebound to a card is valuable.

Narset was trash.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Maybe it will become good in a later version of Standard. We've got 15 months to find out.

And I'm not only hoping this because I bought two at $40 for the first week of DTK standard because Shaheen Soorani said so. Not at all.

I opened a third Korean one, so I'm set if UW gets big.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean the correct play is to narset -2 and then pass.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I have 5 of them... they better loving see SOME play.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sigma-X posted:

The card is only as good as adding rebound to a card is valuable.

Narset was trash.

Not really.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Narset's problem is really easy to see: her +1 is unreliable and her -2 requires you to have a spell worth rebounding.

Its like Domri Rade, except 1 mana more expensive and in a deck that cares a lot less about her abilities than a R/G deck cares about Domri's (a deck with Domri also can likely turn 2 him).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have any of the modern UWR control decks tried running Narset as a sideboard card for the mirror? Her ultimate is "you win the game" if you can defend her in that matchup and the +1 helps you defend her.

Is Ajani Vengeant still just better at that and better in other matchups too?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Well. I will say, I wouldn't be surprised if Narset (and walkers in general) see a large uptick in play after Hero's Downfall rotates out. It is kind of an oppressive card against anyone wanting to play CMC 4+ walkers expecting them to stick around for at least 1 turn. Narset is unique in the sense that she can probably tank 1 direct hit from anything most decks poo poo out turn 3.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Have any of the modern UWR control decks tried running Narset as a sideboard card for the mirror? Her ultimate is "you win the game" if you can defend her in that matchup and the +1 helps you defend her.

I lol'd.

I mean even if you're playing UWR control in modern (a deck that's probably below 50% against everything good right now) the mirror is not something you're looking to prepare for.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

Well. I will say, I wouldn't be surprised if Narset (and walkers in general) see a large uptick in play after Hero's Downfall rotates out. It is kind of an oppressive card against anyone wanting to play CMC 4+ walkers expecting them to stick around for at least 1 turn. Narset is unique in the sense that she can probably tank 1 direct hit from anything most decks poo poo out turn 3.

I'd be surprised if there isn't a direct instant or sorcery answer to Planeswalkers in BFZ.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Incitatus posted:

Even the grandest sail collapses even the most awesome dog
– Iblefe, Silver Baron
Truer words have never been spoken.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Narset could still be good in Battle for Zendikar standard, so there is that (but probably not.)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Anyone who thinks Narset sucks has never had the experience of casting Treasure Cruise 6 times in one game

(my opponent ultimated Ajani and I decked myself)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
DTT with rebound is basically a scoop and cruise rebounded is also pretty amazing, but outside of that I don't think I've ever seen Narset do anything of value beyond soak up a few attacks.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yawgmoth posted:

DTT with rebound is basically a scoop and cruise rebounded is also pretty amazing, but outside of that I don't think I've ever seen Narset do anything of value beyond soak up a few attacks.

Turn 5 rebound end hostilities turn 6 rebound dragonlords prerogative

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Is Ajani Vengeant still just better at that and better in other matchups too?

Probably, but all the UWR control players I know were honestly more interested in Ojutai. You're not going to be playing Narset turn 4, you're going to still be countering and burning poo poo off the board, so she's a dead card in that respect, and even when you play her, she doesn't really pose an imminent threat to your opponent. Rebound can be played around, and as long as you're rebounding things, you're not ticking her up (which isn't even guaranteed card advantage) to ult her. Ojutai, for one, can't be Negated or Spell Pierced like Narset, can't be targeted with removal as long as he's untapped, has flying, and when he swings will live through anything short of a Dismember or a Path.

e:

Zoness posted:

I lol'd.

I mean even if you're playing UWR control in modern (a deck that's probably below 50% against everything good right now) the mirror is not something you're looking to prepare for.

UWR control is a cool and fun deck, gently caress your meta winrates

Four Score fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 11, 2015

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mcmagic posted:

I have 5 of them... they better loving see SOME play.

sorry to say this but you're what star city games refers to as "profit margin"

Entropic posted:

I'd be surprised if there isn't a direct instant or sorcery answer to Planeswalkers in BFZ.

i'm sure there will be something but there's no guarantee it's gonna be 3 mana and in a single color.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Death Bot posted:

sorry to say this but you're what star city games refers to as "profit margin"

i'm sure there will be something but there's no guarantee it's gonna be 3 mana and in a single color.

I don't buy from star city.. but yea...

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Went to my LGS today to grab some lands of all things... There was a guy who looked 15 staring up at all the boosters and duel decks, and as I was looking at the foil lands he turned to me and told me he was just learning the game and asked me what packs of boosters he should get. I told him that he should save his money and first figure out what he wants to put in his deck(s) and then buy singles. He promptly told me that money was "no problem" and wanted to open packs so I told him to buy some fat packs so that he'll at least get some boxes and spin downs with his packs. He bought 2 DTK fat packs, a RTR fat pack for $60, and a bunch of varied core boosters from 4th to 9th edition. I hope he has fun opening all those boosters, and at least got a few decent cards.

I walked out with one MM15 pack, and opened a Dark Confident. :D

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Four Score posted:

Probably, but all the UWR control players I know were honestly more interested in Ojutai. You're not going to be playing Narset turn 4, you're going to still be countering and burning poo poo off the board, so she's a dead card in that respect, and even when you play her, she doesn't really pose an imminent threat to your opponent. Rebound can be played around, and as long as you're rebounding things, you're not ticking her up (which isn't even guaranteed card advantage) to ult her. Ojutai, for one, can't be Negated or Spell Pierced like Narset, can't be targeted with removal as long as he's untapped, has flying, and when he swings will live through anything short of a Dismember or a Path.

e:

UWR control is a cool and fun deck, gently caress your meta winrates

Hey man I am an appreciator of UWR control I just look at all the dumb junk or coco decks and can't help but want to play the kolaghan's command plan instead if I'm not jamming metal dudes in modern.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Rofl

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Meh, there is already more flexible card advantage printed for control decks to use.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Meh, there is already more flexible card advantage printed for control decks to use.

Like Dig Through Time! :v:

:negative:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or Dragonlord Ojutai :smaug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hero's Downfall isn't really keeping Narset down. I mean it also incidentally kills her and your opponent will presumably be forced to use it on her instead of an actual good card.

One of my favorite cards of all-time is Sea Gate Oracle. I love Wall of Omens. The unfortunate reality is that unless there is a DRASTIC change in design, incremental card advantage is going to be one of the worst things you could be doing. There are a lot of reasons for that if anyone is actually interested but the biggest is that your opponent can be doing things like Polukranos, Siege Rhino, Goblin Rabblemaster. I am aware that these cards are going to rotate but you just go back Huntmaster, Olivia Voldaren, Hero of Bladehold. There are a ton of haymakers in the 3-5 mana range and have been for years, it's really stifling room for a card like Narset to succeed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zoness posted:

Or Dragonlord Ojutai :smaug:

Jeff Hoogland secret account spotted

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What a sick gently caress

(Suspension Field x 2, Ghostly Prison x 2, Runed Halo x 2 (naming Snapcer and Deciever) + one on the stack turn after Keranos resolved)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

What a sick gently caress

(Suspension Field x 2, Ghostly Prison x 2, Runed Halo x 2 (naming Snapcer and Deciever) + one on the stack turn after Keranos resolved)

looks like a prison enchantments deck alright, get hosed twin-havers

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

that's what twin deserves

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's seems tailor made to beat twin (and little else?)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

In standard there is ingenuity,dig, and prerogative. They aren't at 4 mana but they are at instant speed which is more important.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Four Score posted:

looks like a prison enchantments deck alright, get hosed twin-havers

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Are Zendikar full art lands valid at any point, or do they rotate with the regular sets?

• Locked thread