Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

If there is ever a new game+ i hope they add animations when you use a potion or oil on your sword because i hate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Spiky Ooze posted:

On Skyrim one marker could take you through a whole underground city with it's own story going on. To me that kind of thing still makes it the greatest RPG.

Eh, aside from a few quest-related ones, those underground cities usually wound up being "network of cavern hallways with traps and draugrs. Lots of draugrs. And then maybe a word wall at the end."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm right up there with the people who'll find plenty of faults with the Witcher 3's combat and it's still miles ahead of Skyrim's.

If you liked Skyrim you'll love this game, because it deliberately does everything Skyrim did but better. Except character customization. But at least people look like people and not melty-faced butter statues. And I guess dungeons, but Skyrim's dungeons can feel kinda samey as you go on.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Spiky Ooze posted:

To me it was the opposite. The Witcher is better at direct storytelling with cutscenes and whatnot, but exploration gameplay doesn't really have anything to it at all. Almost every marker on the map is just a monster, a bandit group, a chest of diagrams that take 2 minutes to deal with if that. (Granted it's entertaining in a collect them all way, to a point)

On Skyrim one marker could take you through a whole underground city with it's own story going on. To me that kind of thing still makes it the greatest RPG.

Only because it was created for a specific sidequest. Like how many truly large areas in skyrim are only there for the purpose of exploring? Most of the biggest and best ones are there for specific quest lines, and while you can certainly explore them beforehand, I feel like that's reaching a bit.

I will grant skyrim has way better dungeon crawling since that is virtually nonexistent in W3.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Sometimes its the simple things in life that makes them worth living . like throwing an upgraded grapeshot into the middle of tightly packed low level bandits and watch the giblets fly . Or like... throwing a baby in an ..oven ?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Codependent Poster posted:

Just about every armor I come across makes Geralt look like he's got a beer belly. Nothing has looked as good as the starter armor. Is there any armor that's more like that?

Weird, I noticed an armor like that (I'm assuming it's from the breastplate) and took it off promptly because it looked dumb to me (even though it was an upgrade) but it was just the one armor.

I usually go light or medium though so maybe that's it? I can see the heavy armor having the heavier style plate.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I've put 120+ hours into Skyrim and maybe 40 into Witcher 3 and the Witcher just handles everything so much more deftly, with such greater sophistication and maturity, that it makes Skyrim look like a pedantic teenager's fever dream whilst he plays with dragon action figures. Seriously.

Even nonsense throw-away sidequests in Witcher 3 are more adult and meaty than even Skyrim's main quest.

So why have you put over three times the hours into Skyrim than W3.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

OAquinas posted:

Eh, aside from a few quest-related ones, those underground cities usually wound up being "network of cavern hallways with traps and draugrs. Lots of draugrs. And then maybe a word wall at the end."

Every single loving underground dungeon in Skyrim was the exact same goddamn poo poo. The Dwarven ones were especially egregious. Labyrinthine copy+pasted chambers of generic architecture, annoying enemies, and an inventory of 20,000 quest-essential items you could never use except but once and could never get rid of afterwards. And the combat was boring. The enemy variation alone makes Witcher 3 a better game than Skyrim.

poptart_fairy posted:

So why have you put over three times the hours into Skyrim than W3.

It's been out far longer and by the time I got around to playing Skyrim (late in it's life) I was able to load it up with literally hundreds of mods to make it more interesting and easier to play.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Greenplastic posted:

Weird, I don't find the movement clunky at all. I must have either not played any games with proper movement recently, or played something that was bad enough to make this seem good. Not disputing the clunkiness, I just find it curious. I really like that it has some weight to it.

I had to run into the Baron's place real quick to sell some poo poo, and then I went to leave. It felt like I was fighting the stupid horse to turn around and run to the quick travel sign. And then if he slightly touches something on the road he stops galloping and he can't handle turns good and it's like you loving horse, do what I tell you to do. Then in Novigrad I was running around doing things as Geralt not on a horse and just trying to run around there with how he turns is such a pain in the rear end. Trying to get him to turn the way I want and stuff, it's like loving Geralt do what I tell you to do. The guy up there who descried it as riding a unicycle is spot on. Also I like how I can run through people all day in Novigrad, but the second I need to get to a specific spot, there's a guy who WON'T move and I can't get around him and so Geralt gets stuck so I have to stop, turn around walk back this way a little bit then go slightly around him.

Again, it's a testament to the rest of the game that that can be overlooked.

Just... fuckin... Geralt do what I tell you to do

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i was playing and put on some armor that i didn't like and it ruined my gaming experience so i threw my controller through my television, picked up my xbox and crushed a small baby with it, and then sat down and thought to myself "my god who cares it's just video game clothing and has no influence on how fun the game is at all" and immediately felt silly for my actions.

dude could walk around with a pink dildo on his forehead and a butt plug on the saddle and i would still enjoy the game.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Finally getting back around to playing this and I noticed the patch came out much earlier than I thought it did. Did they actually fix the xp bug? Is this part of the patch notes their fix for it?

quote:

Improves the distribution of experience points gained by completing quests with recommended levels lower than the player character level.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes your XP is safe now you have nothing to fear

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cole posted:

i was playing and put on some armor that i didn't like and it ruined my gaming experience so i threw my controller through my television, picked up my xbox and crushed a small baby with it, and then sat down and thought to myself "my god who cares it's just video game clothing and has no influence on how fun the game is at all" and immediately felt silly for my actions.

dude could walk around with a pink dildo on his forehead and a butt plug on the saddle and i would still enjoy the game.

I would enjoy it more sitting in a saddle with a butt plug, and hell, geralt could have one too.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Finally getting back around to playing this and I noticed the patch came out much earlier than I thought it did. Did they actually fix the xp bug? Is this part of the patch notes their fix for it?

They cough up pity xp, 5 points I believe for under level quests .

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i actually really like how much more realistic the armor is in the Witcher then a lot of other games. It mostly looks like what it really would have looked like. The are no spikes or other random bits of metal that make no sense, and it uses gamebesons instead of leather (outside of boiling and hardening it into rawhide leather does almost nothing), and even shys away from "studded leather" armor for the most part.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spiky Ooze posted:

I feel like Morrowind is way better for that. Skyrim was a bit disappointing in that regard, to be honest...

If you're talking about Blackreach yeah it was cool but there's loving nothing to do there. It's a huge area with a couple quest objects and a sidequest to gather 20 red nirnroots and... that's it. And I'm sorry but the cities are super disappointing. I'd let it slide if it was made 10 years ago like Morrowind but you can't have 15-20 buildings and as many NPCs and call it a capital city.

I really like cities in RPGs, they're probably my favorite setting. After loving some of the cooler ones in Morrowind (Vivec, Sadrith Mora, Ald'ruhn), I was a bit disappointed with Oblivion but at least there was the Imperial City. Skyrim was just a total disappointment on that front. The capital of the entire region is some dinky town smaller than Balmora.

In contrast, I loving love Novigrad. Yeah, you can't go into every single building but who really cares? There's still probably more interiors in Novigrad than any other city in Skyrim. There's more NPCs in a single tavern in Novigrad than there are in most cities in Skyrim.

Basically what I'm saying is Bethesda needs to stop using Gamebryo for every drat thing and/or stop developing for people with 512MB RAM. The difference between the concept art for their cities and locations and what they end up actually being able to do is huge.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 11, 2015

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yes your XP is safe now you have nothing to fear

Oh, thank god. I was so worried about that.

admataY posted:

They cough up pity xp, 5 points I believe for under level quests .

So does that mean the bug didn't exist or is it because those now give xp they circumvented the bug because it was associated with a quest giving 0 xp.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I had to run into the Baron's place real quick to sell some poo poo, and then I went to leave. It felt like I was fighting the stupid horse to turn around and run to the quick travel sign. And then if he slightly touches something on the road he stops galloping and he can't handle turns good and it's like you loving horse, do what I tell you to do. Then in Novigrad I was running around doing things as Geralt not on a horse and just trying to run around there with how he turns is such a pain in the rear end.

Are you using 'a' and 'd' to turn or are you just running straight and using the mouse/camera to turn? 'w' moves you forward in the direction the camera is facing, not the direction Geralt is facing so you can use that to turn on a dime most of the time.

It's a bit annoying to get him right onto ladders and stuff sometimes but drat I feel like you're having way more trouble than you should be, esp with the horse. When I use 'a' and 'd' with the horse it's a massive pain in the butt and if I'm galloping and I touch those it's even worse.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Roach is definitely the most annoying thing about this game.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Top tips for Bald Mountain consistent with their negligible utility elsewhere in the game, dimeritium bombs do gently caress all against Imlerith's teleporting or ice shielding besides making you unable to use your magic while he can still do all his jazzy stuff, and a Signs build is near useless anyway. thank god for Archgriffin decoction, enjoy 10% total HP damage per strike you crispy bastard

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like Morrowind is way better for that. Skyrim was a bit disappointing in that regard, to be honest...

If you're talking about Blackreach yeah it was cool but there's loving nothing to do there. It's a huge area with a couple quest objects and a sidequest to gather 20 red nirnroots and... that's it. And I'm sorry but the cities are super disappointing. I'd let it slide if it was made 10 years ago like Morrowind but you can't have 15-20 buildings and as many NPCs and call it a capital city.

I really like cities in RPGs, they're probably my favorite setting. After loving some of the cooler ones in Morrowind (Vivec, Sadrith Mora, Ald'ruhn), I was a bit disappointed with Oblivion but at least there was the Imperial City. Skyrim was just a total disappointment on that front. The capital of the entire region is some dinky town smaller than Balmora.

In contrast, I loving love Novigrad. Yeah, you can't go into every single building but who really cares? There's still probably more interiors in Novigrad than any other city in Skyrim. There's more NPCs in a single tavern in Novigrad than there are in most cities in Skyrim.

Basically what I'm saying is Bethesda needs to stop using Gamebryo for every drat thing and/or stop developing for people with 512MB RAM. The difference between the concept art for their cities and locations and what they end up actually being able to do is huge.

I like how I can immediately picture all of those morrowind cities but literally can't picture a single city from oblivion despite playing it for hours and hours.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've been reading quite a few bad things about sign builds in the past few pages. I've only tried combat and alchemy, so I was wondering what issues they have.

Most of the T3 and T4 skills look pretty underwhelming, save for Domination.

Once the Griffin School Techniques skill is fixed to no longer give a flat bonus to stamina regeneration (currently it gives +5 regeneration per piece, instead of +5%), will signs still be viable (assuming they are viable right now, which might not be true)?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Scandalous posted:

Top tips for Bald Mountain consistent with their negligible utility elsewhere in the game, dimeritium bombs do gently caress all against Imlerith's teleporting or ice shielding besides making you unable to use your magic while he can still do all his jazzy stuff, and a Signs build is near useless anyway. thank god for Archgriffin decoction, enjoy 10% total HP damage per strike you crispy bastard

A signs build destroys him. Igni dies plenty of damage and in the second phase you can just hold alt quen until he gets tired out. He actually heals you when he hits the shield, it was a cake walk.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Meiteron posted:

It is a bit of a crying shame though that for all the expanse of the game we don't fight any dragons. Ok, we fight a "dragon" in one contract. That's not a real dragon :colbert: I guess one dragon in Witcher 2 will have to do for the series' Dragon Quotient.

The normal aswer of a Witcher who gets offered a contrct on an actual dragon is somewhere along the lines of "HELL loving NO!" If you have a genuine dragon problem in the Witcher world, you don't need a Witcher, you need an army.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Is there a way to increase your encumbrance limit?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

theblackw0lf posted:

Get yoself some saddlebags

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I meed to find the saddlebags that come after Rugged but I can't find a merchant who sells them. Any help?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Calaveron posted:

I meed to find the saddlebags that come after Rugged but I can't find a merchant who sells them. Any help?

If you haven't already, doing horse races gets you nicer and nicer horse equipment for nothing more than the cost of entry.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

theblackw0lf posted:

Fiend decoction adds another 20 units when in a pinch.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Begemot posted:

A signs build destroys him. Igni dies plenty of damage and in the second phase you can just hold alt quen until he gets tired out. He actually heals you when he hits the shield, it was a cake walk.
This was on Death March with all the Griffin stuff and Superior Petri Philter, full Greater Blue Mutagens. Igni dealt tiny fractions of damage, he's immune to Aard and Axii, and alt-Quen could absorb only one or two strikes from his second phase combo before the bubble broke. If your experience differed then perhaps you're on a different setting, or in different gear, or some bizarre weirdness has rendered my signs pitiful against Wild Hunt

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The characters in Novigrad are fun but the area and quests are totally killing my witching vibe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Crappy Jack posted:

If you haven't already, doing horse races gets you nicer and nicer horse equipment for nothing more than the cost of entry.

Thing is, I loving hate that stupid horse and dread every time I have to ride him. Just give me the hyper saddlebags or patch out encumbrance limits

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Calaveron posted:

Thing is, I loving hate that stupid horse and dread every time I have to ride him. Just give me the hyper saddlebags or patch out encumbrance limits

it's actually a lot better in races. just down burn your stamina right away or give yourself some time to rest in the middle of the race and stay in front of the guy you are racing.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

theblackw0lf posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3/

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Second part of the Imlerith battle: just Dodge while he teleports, after a handful of times he sticks his mace in the ground and is locked. Just wail on him. It's not hard. Cast igny for extra damage.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
What is the earliest I can get me an archgriffen mutagen for the game breaking decoction?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Calaveron posted:

Dude in "putrid grove" or whatever it's called will sell you the big one (+100?). Just go through the doors, then turn immediately left, he's behind a glass door.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Cole posted:

it's actually a lot better in races. just down burn your stamina right away or give yourself some time to rest in the middle of the race and stay in front of the guy you are racing.
This is meant literally by the way. You can actually get in front of the person you're racing and stop them over-taking you.

Which is handy, because the rubber-banding is insane. Cut across a field? AI is right on your rear end as soon as you hit the track again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dollas posted:

What is the earliest I can get me an archgriffen mutagen for the game breaking decoction?

You'd have to get to Skellige at least, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turds in magma posted:

Dude in "putrid grove" or whatever it's called will sell you the big one (+100?). Just go through the doors, then turn immediately left, he's behind a glass door.

Yep.

If anybody's curious, you unlock that area pretty quickly if you make a beeline to Novigrad and just start the main plot quest there. You can do it right after leaving Vizima, you'll just need to do some swimming to bypass immigration. Also it costs like a thousand bucks but the "free" 100 saddlebag race requires you spend that much just to get to Skellige anyway.