Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Did Bethesda ever explain why they never go back in time with a new game, only forwards?

Has anyone even sourced that "rule" in the first place? Goons keep repeating it without indicating any particular thing Bethesda said or when they might have said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Duckbag posted:

Has anyone even sourced that "rule" in the first place? Goons keep repeating it without indicating any particular thing Bethesda said or when they might have said it.

I have never seen a source either. however, even if at one point in time Bethesda did say something to this effect that does not mean that they are committed to it eternally. they can do whatever they want.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's no proof it's a "rule", but Feargus Urquhart, the CEO of Obsidian, mentioned that it was a request from Bethesda when making Fallout: New Vegas, and that they wanted the franchise to keep going forward.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Feargus Urquhart, the CEO of Obsidian

This sounds so much like a phrase that a Dungeons & Dragons DM would come up with when he gets the idea to make a literal medieval corporation for his game.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Even in fallout 1 bottle caps were explained as being backed by merchants in the hub for its finite amount. Its not realistic but its a cool thing that builds the setting. In fallout 3 they use bottle caps because im a doo doo baby gaga googoo i poop in diapee

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
"Forward!" Feargus bellows, adjusting his commissar's cap with the skull-and-crossbones embellishment. He thrusts his bayonet into the mass of nameless 20-something game industry employees before him, driving them ever-further toward some unknowable goal. "ALWAYS FORWARD! YOUR MASTER DEMANDS IT!"

A score of unwashed Bethesda interns drags a colossal golden bust of Todd Howard behind them on thick ropes. It is said that the gleaming idol was built with the unpaid wages of beta testers--which is to say that it has always existed in the most cosmic sense of the word, for beta testers have never set foot in Bethesda.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Doodles posted:

Reasons to play the FO3 DLCs:

Operation Anchorage: Gauss Rifle, power armor earlier in the game than the main plot gives you.
Point Lookout: Backwater Rifle
The Pitt: Metal Blaster, Infiltrator
Mothership Zeta: Novasurge
Broken Steel: Beats the gently caress out of me. Getting to screw around after the main story?

Liberty Prime.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Even in fallout 1 bottle caps were explained as being backed by merchants in the hub for its finite amount. Its not realistic but its a cool thing that builds the setting. In fallout 3 they use bottle caps because im a doo doo baby gaga googoo i poop in diapee

You'd think DC would be full of $$$, right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SunAndSpring posted:

Did Bethesda ever explain why they never go back in time with a new game, only forwards? Because while it makes sense for a series like TES, where there is so much documented history in-universe that doing a prequel becomes a huge clusterfuck, Fallout has enough blank spaces on the map where nothing is known that they could easily turn the dial back some years.

Didn't stop Bethesda and Zenimax from making ESO and creating a new secret history nobody had ever heard of to justify having a faction system.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

gently caress yes this is like the dictionary defninition of 'not even once'
cowshit fumes: once
turbo: gotta try it one day
psycho: good for that one use punch a guy's head off
beer: NOT EVEN ONCE

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Liberty Prime.

What? No! Broken Steel loving kills him! :(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

This sounds so much like a phrase that a Dungeons & Dragons DM would come up with when he gets the idea to make a literal medieval corporation for his game.

Feargus Urquhart might be the most scottish name I have ever heard.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I kinda like how Feargus Uruqhart getting called out in really dumb ways in-game has sort of become a tradition for them :allears:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If I remember correctly, the reason why bottlecaps were chosen as currency is because they are small, easily portable, hard to fake, and are inherently same in construction/manufacture. One bottlecap is the same as every other bottlecap, and anyone everywhere can tell just by holding/handling one if you've got a bottlecap. Since the folks on the West Coast crawled out of their wreckage and took up caps, it makes sense that those on the East Coast could too.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't stop Bethesda and Zenimax from making ESO and creating a new secret history nobody had ever heard of to justify having a faction system.

I haven't played ESO, but it does take place in the era called the "Age Of Madness" because poo poo was hosed up something fierce on pretty much every level. To be fair, if you're going to shove an MMO into the Elder Scrolls series, it's basically the best place. Everything that happens in ESO gets forgotten/dismantled when Tiber Septim says "poo poo is hosed up on pretty much every level and I'm going to personally unfuckify this poo poo."

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 11, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MisterBibs posted:

If I remember correctly, the reason why bottlecaps were chosen as currency is because they are small, easily portable, hard to fake, and are inherently same in construction/manufacture. One bottlecap is the same as every other bottlecap, and anyone everywhere can tell just by holding/handling one if you've got a bottlecap. Since the folks on the West Coast crawled out of their wreckage and took up caps, it makes sense that those on the East Coast could too.

If I remember what I read right (because I never played it) in BoS they used beverage tabs as currency instead, which is a kinda neat twist on the idea.

Edit: vv Was it Tactics? poo poo, obviously I need to play that again. Glad I got those when GOG was giving them away. I was thinking the Xbox one people don't like to talk about, does it just use bottlecaps?

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, Tactics uses ringpulls.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

sout posted:

You'd think DC would be full of $$$, right?

The problem is they never stop printing it, so it's not a limited resource :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When Mindgame Productions runs their Wasteland airsoft games in Florida every November, they just let players use any metal bottle caps available and Nuka-Cola caps (specially bought or printed for the event) are equal to 10 caps; you use them in-character for purchases, but also to buy the ability to use full auto weapons. I'm currently saving up my caps from what I drink so I can start with more than a handful.

Right now my sandwich-sized ziplock has 42 caps and is about 1/3 of the way full. I'd estimate that one of those bags can hold about 130 or so caps. Provides a decent perspective on how much cash the Courier must be forking over at the Gun Runners.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Been reading this and there are some good points, but the author doesn't know nearly as much about Fallout as he thinks he does. Like when he says this:

Shamus Young posted:

The original Fallout was a setting where we were just a single generation away from the Old World. People still remembered it, and it still shaped the way people thought. People were still sifting through the ashes, trying to cling to the ruined world. They were still dressing, speaking, and thinking like people from a retro-50’s future. But that tension between the old world and the new can only last so long. It certainly isn’t going to survive for 200 years.

He's basically exposing his own ignorance here because the original Fallout actually takes place 84 years after the great war. That's hardly a "single generation" and basically no one living (except a few ghouls and mutants) still remembered it. The vaults are stuck in the past, but they're the only ones and that's sort of the point (which, yeah, makes his complaint about greaser gangs completely backassward). Actually hardly anyone else in the first game is remotely 50s in their dress, speech, or thinking (the towns are more like Western frontier communities, the Followers are punks, the raiders are straight out of Mad Max, and so on). Also, hardly anyone in that game (except the Brotherhood), is still "sifting through the ashes."

Oh and the second game is set 165 years after the bombs, but Klamath, New Reno, and San Francisco still have people living in pre-war ruins and "tension between the old world and new" is pretty much the whole point of having the Enclave as villains. What were those guys thinking?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Duckbag posted:

It's not just minor dialog. Like, the whole reason Redding exists as a town is to mine gold for the new mints that have started up. That's why the three factions are all trying so hard to take control of it. I'm not sure if there's a "canon" ending for Redding, but the Fallout wiki seems to think they joined the NCR (I guess Hanlon's from there?), but I'm not sure I trust them. Anyway, at some point between games, the NCRs gold currency collapsed and they had to switch to paper dollars (I think someone says the BoS destroyed their gold reserves during the war). Gold does still appear to be valuable (I know because I got multiple addictions trying to haul like 30 Sierra Madre ingots), so Redding is probably still around, but it might not matter as much who's controlling it.

A lot of the Fallout 2 endings are left ambiguous in New Vegas. It's not at all clear how much of the north NCR controls, or even how many states they have. A data disk in Fallout 2 establishes them as having five states: Shady (in the high desert near the Nevada border, includes the capitol, Shady Sands, as well as Junktown and maybe the Squat), Dayglow (Ghoul-inhabited San Diego), Angel's Boneyard/Los Angeles, Maxson (built around the Brotherhood base in the Lost Hills/Tehachapi area, it's unclear how far west it extends or what happened to it during the Brotherhoold War), and Hub (The Hub/Barstow. Maybe Necropolis/Bakersfield as well). The Wiki lists Arroyo, Klamath, Redding, and Vault City as having joined as states, but provides absolutely no evidence for this and I think it's just some idiot fan assuming more than is reasonable from the Fallout 2 ending slides (all four communities have slides where they join, but it's unclear when or if those events will happen). I'm inclined based on dialog to think Vault City at least is still independent (the others may or may not be NCR territories), also would make no sense for NCR to have annexed two states in Oregon, but not most of the territory in between. There's a quote I can't track down (might not actually be in-game) about the Mojave being a potential "sixth state" for the NCR, which would suggest that Shady is actually still their northernmost state, but a lot of stuff about the NCR is actually super unclear. Like, there isn't even an official map anywhere.

As far as I can tell, the canon choices from Fallout 2 are:

-The NCR absorbed Vault City and that other vault the Great Khans were loving around in.
-The Chosen One was a male who hosed Bishop's wife and/or daughter without protection, producing an illegitimate son who is a successful night club owner/wasteland explorer.
-The Chosen One killed the Modoc dearhclaw with a sick-nasty eye crit.
-The Wrights still have a controlling interesting in New Reno.
-Marcus lived, Cassidy lived, Myron died.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Well the Bishop thing feels almost like an in-joke, so I guess it could be some other random tribal what knocked her up.

I don't think there's any confirmation about the Vault City thing though. Cass mentions "Vault City pacifists" once (which is... not the way I remember them), but that's about all we hear about it. I guess you could infer that since her dad lived in VC and she's an NCR girl that they got annexed but that seems like a stretch. Is there something I missed?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Technically, Bethesda had nothing to do with ESO. That was some other development team that Zenimax put together to make money because they're clueless businessmen who don't understand video games. It was also Zenimax that pushed that ridiculous metacritic contract with Obsidian too.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Any speculation on system requirements for the PC version? Or is it still too early to guess?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Praetorian Mage posted:

Any speculation on system requirements for the PC version? Or is it still too early to guess?

Ask after E3.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

We've seen no proper gameplay running on most any kind of machine, but if the graphics are anything like what's in the trailer, you can probably run it if you can run Witcher 3?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It was also Zenimax that pushed that ridiculous metacritic contract with Obsidian too.
Quality Bonus clauses like that are actually pretty common in publisher-developer contracts. Obsidian's case was just the one time the Internet took notice of the practice and everyone went WTF? over it.
It's certainly absurd that anyone puts any sort of value on Metacritic rating. But Zenimax isn't unique in doing so.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the big thing about it wasn't really that it happened that one time, it was that it was common practice everywhere and it became really clear just how hosed up of a system it is.

Which has lead to a lot of review sites dropping scores entirely, for an improvement.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I really can't stress enough how important the Wanderers Edition mod is for Fallout 3. Like, I wouldn't recommend playing Fallout 3 unless you use this mod. It fixes all the gameplay problems people have correctly identified in the thread - autoaim, bullet sponges, VATS, the economy, the boring intro and story. It just fixes everything and makes the game good. I was so disappointed that it doesn't exist for NV.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 13, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
New Vegas was its own Wanderer's Edition, and there's also that JE Sawyer mod that takes it all the way.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Flaky posted:

I was so disappointed that it doesn't exist for NV.
Check out Project Nevada.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raygereio posted:

Check out Project Nevada.

The single most valuable thing PN or Wanderer's Edition (if you take it, I installed individual bits because I didn't care for most of the overhaul changes) adds is a sprint key. The sprint mods typically include barreling people over too, unless your strength is too low, in which case you fall down. :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

The single most valuable thing PN or Wanderer's Edition (if you take it, I installed individual bits because I didn't care for most of the overhaul changes) adds is a sprint key. The sprint mods typically include barreling people over too, unless your strength is too low, in which case you fall down. :v:
Headbuting deathclaws is the best thing ever

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I tried replaying New Vegas a while ago and immediately quit because of how slowly your character moves. It seems the older I get, the more I have gaming ADD. I am of the opinion that all video game protagonists should move at ludicrously high speeds because it's just so tedious otherwise.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm the opposite. As I get older I want a slower experience so I can take things in and relax. What's your rush, Sonic the Hedgehog!?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that the worst thing about that metacritic stipulation was that it was out of Obsidian's hands when it came to bugfixing. New Vegas's biggest criticism was that it was a buggy mess of a game, which affected the score. But Obsidian only did initial bugfixes, Quality Assurance was to be handled by Bethesda, whom we have established at this point to be completely loving terrible at bugfixing. Hell, didn't one Obsidian dev come out and say that several features were working as intended when they sent NV off to QA, only for them to come out on store shelves completely broken? Okay, apparently this was an NPC that was supposed to be set as Essential.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 12, 2015

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Die Laughing posted:

I'm the opposite. As I get older I want a slower experience so I can take things in and relax. What's your rush, Sonic the Hedgehog!?

Mortality.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hell, didn't one Obsidian dev come out and say that several features were working as intended when they sent NV off to QA, only for them to come out on store shelves completely broken?

This was never said, by the way. I'm guessing you're thinking of something rope kid said here: in Obsidian's build, a character from the Honest Hearts DLC was essential, but in the build that was published he wasn't, much to the chagrin of people that shoot first and ask questions later. That doesn't qualify as "several features" being "completely broken".

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nerds have made a bigger deal out of that metacritic thing then anyone actually involved in creating the game.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think that the worst thing about that metacritic stipulation was that it was out of Obsidian's hands when it came to bugfixing. New Vegas's biggest criticism was that it was a buggy mess of a game, which affected the score. But Obsidian only did initial bugfixes, Quality Assurance was to be handled by Bethesda, whom we have established at this point to be completely loving terrible at bugfixing.
A common conspiracy theory that follows out of this is that Bethesda intentionally sabotaged F:NV.
Which naturally is complete nonsense. I mean in order to do something intentionally, you have to have some measure of competency. We're talking about the company who for their own game refused to fix bugs that would have trivial to fix (for example just replacing a > with a <) and introduced backwards flying dragons with a patch (which is a pretty strong indicator no one bothered to actually test stuff). And let's not forget the whole "Woops. We broke how the game handles memory. Oh well. Time to end patch support!" practical joke they pulled.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hell, didn't one Obsidian dev come out and say that several features were working as intended when they sent NV off to QA, only for them to come out on store shelves completely broken?
In Honest Hearts it was common for people to shoot Follows-Chalk, at which point a pretty much every quest in the DLC auto-fails and you're stuck with the "kill everyone" fail-safe quest.
This is one of the few situation where the essential would have been useful. Just to protect players who don't pay attention from their actions. According to Ropekid Follows-Chalk did have the essential flag in the version of the DLC they gave to Bethesda. But in the version that was released it was no longer there.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah the World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 approach to world building.

• Locked thread