Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

EvilElmo posted:

I finally have a new phone. What app do you use for instagram and twitter?

Instagram and Twitter :v:

There's no third party client that can post to Instagram, and depending on your needs different twitter clients might be preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

EvilElmo posted:

I finally have a new phone. What app do you use for instagram and twitter?

Fenix is a pretty awesome twitter client. I've pretty much paid for and used all the top rated 3rd party clients and even go back to the official app from time to time, but I like Fenix the best.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Casyl posted:

There's a very good chance it'll go on sale during the Steam sale sometime in the next week or so for $15. That said, it's a system that has you manually enter everything (which is part of its philosophy), whereas apps like Mint and Level Money automatically look at your CC/bank statements to see your spending.
On PC you can launch the Steam version of YNAB without Steam running. It's just a programme download.

The Mac version IS tied to Steam however.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

beerinator posted:

Fenix is a pretty awesome twitter client. I've pretty much paid for and used all the top rated 3rd party clients and even go back to the official app from time to time, but I like Fenix the best.

$6.32 here. Ouch. Think I'll stick to the official for now. Going to need a few more surveys to cover that purchase.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Karthe posted:

There's talk of a cloud-based successor in the works, something probably involving a monthly subscription. The YNAB people are infamous for being hush-hush about future releases, though, so there's not much else to go off of other than "it's something we're considering".

Yeah, I've been seeing their job postings for the past year or two and it's all for web stuff and iOS/Android stuff...none of this Adobe Air or other silly desktop focused technologies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone else having Hangouts crash when you try to use keyboard?

I'm on a stock HTC One M8 and I can't reply to any messages without it hanging up, then going back to contacts or just straight crashing.

I've rolled it back so I can actually use it, but this is pretty infuriating.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

EvilElmo posted:

$6.32 here. Ouch. Think I'll stick to the official for now. Going to need a few more surveys to cover that purchase.

Skip lunch and buy it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Apps: just don't eat to buy them

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
What's considered the best app for encrypted SMS and IM? Must be super secure. I just want to be sure those rascals at GCHQ aren't reading my profound wisdom poo poo jokes any more. Also I want to get in on this before that scamp Cameron tries to ban all encryption.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Apps: just don't eat to buy them

For real though if 6 dollars is stretching your budget you probably got bigger issues.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maybe $6 for twitter just doesn't seem worth it to the guy? Doesn't automatically make him super poor.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

What's considered the best app for encrypted SMS and IM? Must be super secure. I just want to be sure those rascals at GCHQ aren't reading my profound wisdom poo poo jokes any more. Also I want to get in on this before that scamp Cameron tries to ban all encryption.

Textsecure is believed to be secure. On iOS the app is called signal.

Tinfoil hat disclosure, if the NSA or a state government wants to get access to your messages they still probably can, though they would probably need to specifically target you and exploit your phone rather than just intercept the message going across the internet. It does not provide anonymity either, anyone monitoring you would be able to know who you were sending encrypted messages to and from.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

THF13 posted:

Textsecure is believed to be secure. On iOS the app is called signal.

Tinfoil hat disclosure, if the NSA or a state government wants to get access to your messages they still probably can, though they would probably need to specifically target you and exploit your phone rather than just intercept the message going across the internet. It does not provide anonymity either, anyone monitoring you would be able to know who you were sending encrypted messages to and from.

Neat, I'll check out Textsecure, thanks.

Yeah I know that if they want to know what I'm talking about they'll find a way, they are, after all, spooks, but I figured the least I can do is add a couple of steps to the process and avoid being swept up in the mass data trawling.

Hi GCHQ!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They don't actually care and if they did, you wouldn't be posting on an internet forum asking how to stop them from reading your stuff.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

They don't actually care and if they did, you wouldn't be posting on an internet forum asking how to stop them from reading your stuff.

Them not caring isn't entirely the point though, they feel they have the right to sweep up everyone's communications, so while I realise I can't easily opt-out of being hoovered up along with everyone else, I can make my stuff less easily readable.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There's plenty more uses for having end to end encryption than trying to avoid the NSA. How many naked pictures do companies like Comcast, Verizon, Facebook or Google have access to at this point? End to end encryption ends the requirement of having to trust third party companies with my private messages which is a lot more practically useful.

I don't really care about the NSA for the most part. I do dislike the concept of bulk data collection though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Everyone that complained about Google Voice on the previous page should fill out this survey.
https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/forms/d/1oivRQrLxN9xU3atBuCQy4rubKFf3lmcozTRN3wjgW3A/viewform

Relevant support thread

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've been using GV since 2009, what the hell is wrong with me?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What app do I need if I want to access media from my tablet on the tv? I just ordered one of those smart samsung hd tvs.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Len posted:

Maybe $6 for twitter just doesn't seem worth it to the guy? Doesn't automatically make him super poor.

Bingo

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

midnightclimax posted:

What app do I need if I want to access media from my tablet on the tv? I just ordered one of those smart samsung hd tvs.

Do you have the media on the tablet and want to select it with your tv or stream it from the tablet to the tv (like chromecast but without a chromecast)?

If it's the second, try AllCast

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Sereri posted:

Do you have the media on the tablet and want to select it with your tv or stream it from the tablet to the tv (like chromecast but without a chromecast)?

If it's the second, try AllCast

Yeah the first option, basically treat the tablet like an external hd. The second option is actually kind of cool and I haven't considered it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there either a preexisting widget that can do a countdown to the same day every month, or one of those build-your-own sets that'll do it?

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

LastInLine posted:

The way you'd think, copy them out of your local Drive folder and into the uploader. Once they're uploaded and in the "Google Photos" folder of your Drive you can delete the originals. If you don't have Drive space to do that, move them out of your Drive to a local folder first, then upload them.

e: Stupid autocorrect.

Sounds easy enough - but what do you mean by the 'uploader'?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Will the Google Calendar app icon ever show the proper date like some of the other apps do?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Will the Google Calendar app icon ever show the proper date like some of the other apps do?

At this point, I doubt it. I use a combination of Nova Launcher, UCCW, Calendar UCCW Skin, and a clear icon to make it work. Using Nova, I change Google Calendar's icon to a clear icon, then I allow overlapping widgets, and place the Calendar UCCW Skin widget over it. It shows the date, and tapping it opens Google Calendar.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Kheldarn posted:

At this point, I doubt it. I use a combination of Nova Launcher, UCCW, Calendar UCCW Skin, and a clear icon to make it work. Using Nova, I change Google Calendar's icon to a clear icon, then I allow overlapping widgets, and place the Calendar UCCW Skin widget over it. It shows the date, and tapping it opens Google Calendar.

:golfclap: THIS is the poo poo I love about Nova.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

You don't actually need to do the clear icon/overlap thing. You can just set a hotspot in UCCW that opens the calendar app.

E: also if you want an icon with a material design look, you can install the moonshine icon pack and just change the calendar icon to the one from that (assuming you use a launcher that supports it, like nova)

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 12, 2015

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I used to use Nova and Today (basically Google Calendar anyway) and the correct date on the icon was baked in but somewhere along the line I decided I had to stop micromanaging every single tiny little detail about my phone, custom app icons included, so I use the Google Launcher now. That one little touch really goes a long way though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dik-dik posted:

You don't actually need to do the clear icon/overlap thing. You can just set a hotspot in UCCW that opens the calendar app.

Maybe it's just for my phone and tablet, but the UCCW widget doesn't fully cover the Google Calendar icon for me. It's just enough that I notice it looking off with all the other icons near it.

dik-dik posted:

E: also if you want an icon with a material design look, you can install the moonshine icon pack and just change the calendar icon to the one from that (assuming you use a launcher that supports it, like nova)

I'm not personally a fan of the Material Design Google adopted. It reminds me too much of iOS 7's flat icons, which are ugly. I know Material isn't flat, but there's just something off about it for me. :shrug:

Still, it's a nice option for those who do like it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Maybe it's just for my phone and tablet, but the UCCW widget doesn't fully cover the Google Calendar icon for me. It's just enough that I notice it looking off with all the other icons near it.

I don't have it covering the icon. I just have the uccw widget instead. No overlapping or anything.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dik-dik posted:

I don't have it covering the icon. I just have the uccw widget instead. No overlapping or anything.

I overlap it so I can tap on it and have it open Google Calendar. I just tried putting a copy of the widget in an empty spot, and tapping it didn't do anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spekkio posted:

Sounds easy enough - but what do you mean by the 'uploader'?

On your computer go to https://photos.google.com and click the cloud with an up arrow in it. That's the uploader.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
If you click the hamburger you'll find an app downloads section where you can download a desktop uploader.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

If you click the hamburger you'll find an app downloads section where you can download a desktop uploader.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't let you pick what you want to upload though. Given that he has a specific set of pictures he wishes to upload it would probably be best to use the web interface that allows him to input that set rather than just hope the hope uploader grabs it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The desktop uploader works by having you add one or more folders and then grabbing everything that they contain, So if you want to select specific photos from a folder with lots in it then do it through the website. If you already have them separated then use the desktop uploader.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Kerbtree posted:

Is there either a preexisting widget that can do a countdown to the same day every month, or one of those build-your-own sets that'll do it?

Google Calendar?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Is there a way to have Photos not backup videos, but only pictures? I'd be fine with the default storage allocation if I could just exclude video files.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

On your computer go to https://photos.google.com and click the cloud with an up arrow in it. That's the uploader.

Or just drag your photos into the browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

I overlap it so I can tap on it and have it open Google Calendar. I just tried putting a copy of the widget in an empty spot, and tapping it didn't do anything.

Right, that's why I said:

dik-dik posted:

Here's a link that has some info on how to create a hotspot.

• Locked thread