Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the game another try later. It's just getting past the OCD perfectionist in me who quails at the thought of losing even the most useless, fear-crippled idiot that's hard, is all. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Remember with darkest dungeon: You are NOT a friend to your heroes! You are a ruthless bastard of a football coach and you will run them into the ground, then toss them aside like the spent husks they are.

Keep the ones that prove themselves until they too prove to be more work then reward.

E: Or as someone just put it to me; "John Madden's Cthulhu Manager."

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 7, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What makes a good hero to keep then, and therefore keep safe and sane, as opposed to the ones I let die horribly/chuck away when they've gone barmy?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

What makes a good hero to keep then, and therefore keep safe and sane, as opposed to the ones I let die horribly/chuck away when they've gone barmy?

You could do what I do and be completely irrational and base the decision on things like "this leper critted on two attacks in a row and completely wrecked everything - he's a keeper"

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Ciaphas posted:

As long as they don't have debilitating negative quirks (i.e. diseases that aren't rabies), they're worth keeping. Hell, if you have an adventurer with lots of positive quirks with very few quirks who ends up getting a disease, just send them to the sanitarium to keep them in tip-top shape. Otherwise, don't sweat most of the negative quirks.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

1) You can pamper heroes when you have money to blow, i.e. after you've made it out of the early game rut and started winning missions.

2) When their trait combo is just plain godly; +move resist, +melee accuracy, +hitpoints on a Leper for instance. If a guy like that gets high stress or a disease, fix his issue or let him sit on the bench for while if you don't have the money.

3) If you need a tank or especially a healer next run and the stage coach doesn't have another for you to grab. I definitely go out of my way more to help my Vestals more than any other class starting out.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ciaphas posted:

How much sunk cost do you have in them? That's usually what decides it for me, if they're past level 1 and have some upgrades I'm much less likely to get rid of them voluntarily.

Or if they have a really cool name or combination of quirks that gets me attached to them more than usual. Reynauld's still hanging in there! And Talbot, my level 6 A-team leper, has been through a lot, I keep him as happy as you can keep someone with leprosy :unsmith:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

RightClickSaveAs posted:

How much sunk cost do you have in them? That's usually what decides it for me, if they're past level 1 and have some upgrades I'm much less likely to get rid of them voluntarily.

Or if they have a really cool name or combination of quirks that gets me attached to them more than usual. Reynauld's still hanging in there! And Talbot, my level 6 A-team leper, has been through a lot, I keep him as happy as you can keep someone with leprosy :unsmith:

My Reynauld and Dismas has never let me down, despite their shortcomings. :unsmith:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Dismas got taken out by a Bone Courtier, of all things. :( How quickly the tide can turn, indeed.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Does the week count actually do anything? Or is it just there for cosmetic reasons?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I assume it is mainly due to experience, but holy cow is this second run through the game so much faster than the first. Knowing what comps mesh well, what classes and moves work best in each dungeon, and what item bonuses and penalties are worth using are making a huge difference.

ALSO, :siren: BIG NEWS: :siren: I think I found a setup that makes the PD useful. I have two Ancestral items for her that give +30% Stun/Blight chance, so I put both of her Blight moves and her two-slot stun on, and paired her with a Hellion with the generic +20% stun stone. Those two can completely lock down any team that isn't maggots or special 200+% resistance enemies, so your other two dudes can just gently caress poo poo up. It actually makes the Man-at-arms LESS useful, because his Retribution doesn't work when no one can attack. :argh:

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

HogX posted:

Does the week count actually do anything? Or is it just there for cosmetic reasons?

You can't lose Darkest Dungeon, so if nothing else it allows people to compete and see how fast they can win the game.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
You cannot lose. However, you can rage-quit after your entire party is killed by the hag. So much money and time invested in these scrubs, and they want to get wiped???? Good, screw em anyways. Hag isn't even that difficult, dammit.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I cleared all of the new bosses but lost my PD to the level 5 bandit cannon. I only brought her along to get her to level 6. I got greedy and snuffed the torch but then my Leper failed me and missed the deathblow on the cannon.

Not going to level up another PD until the next content update. She consistently drags her feet.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I need this game on my phone

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jackard posted:

I need this game on my phone

I look at my unused tablet on my desk at work and long for the same.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I look at my unused tablet on my desk at work and long for the same.

Why don't you just Remote Desktop or something and essentially turn your tablet into the interface for your PC?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Why don't you just Remote Desktop or something and essentially turn your tablet into the interface for your PC?

I did that for some other game a long time ago and hated the latency. Not sure if that stuff's improved since I tried though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay just got the game and I think the Leper is going to be the one I like best. Is "Fated" a good one for Lepers to have, because that seems like a hell of a skill.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I did that for some other game a long time ago and hated the latency. Not sure if that stuff's improved since I tried though.

For something turn-based it shouldn't be that big a deal, right?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Josef bugman posted:

Okay just got the game and I think the Leper is going to be the one I like best. Is "Fated" a good one for Lepers to have, because that seems like a hell of a skill.
That's a really hard quirk to actually measure, so I'm not sure what the actual numbers are on it. Maybe someone out there has figured out a way to quantify it? It sounds great, but what's the actual proc chance, <1%? 50%?

But yeah Lepers are so awesome thematically and in combat, they get some of the best lines and camping abilities. The Man-At-Arms as he stands now is more useful, but I'm never replacing Talbot my A-team leper. Unless he dies anyway.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Having an Occultist/Arbalest/BH/BH team is almost cheating. Occultist points at a dude and everyone else kills them. I assume a third BH would be optimal, but that's boring. I tend to keep a dozen people leveled and throw four together to see how they mesh, except I make special teams for each boss. Swine King ain't poo poo vs 190% stun from my Crusader every turn! :iamafag:

I wish I could remove positive quirks. Getting ranged crit on a Leper is a waste, especially because once they have seven good or bad quirks any new ones seemingly remove another. I don't know if it's random but still, wasting a slot at all is sad.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 10, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm trying to get through the thread however in the meantime I have a question since I just started playing this a day or so ago.. Which classes have movement skills which allow them to move forward or backward a space or two, while attacking or using another ability? I kind of want to get a group of nothing but guys flipping back and forth but so far have only figured out the grave robber and starting warriors working together.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I'm trying to get through the thread however in the meantime I have a question since I just started playing this a day or so ago.. Which classes have movement skills which allow them to move forward or backward a space or two, while attacking or using another ability? I kind of want to get a group of nothing but guys flipping back and forth but so far have only figured out the grave robber and starting warriors working together.

Reynauld, Jester, Gravedigger, Man-at-arms, and Dismas.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Grave Robber, Jester, Highwayman, and Crusader. I don't think anyone else has movement+attack abilities but I might be forgetting someone.

e: oh, MAA. Still haven't got one of those :( Highwayman is rad though since he can both lunge in and use Point Blank Shot to jump back while hitting hard as hell.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Grave Robber, Jester, Highwayman, and Crusader. I don't think anyone else has movement+attack abilities but I might be forgetting someone.

e: oh, MAA. Still haven't got one of those :( Highwayman is rad though since he can both lunge in and use Point Blank Shot to jump back while hitting hard as hell.

My first save file after the update didn't get a MaA until around 20 weeks, and had no Arbalest for 43 weeks. It was bizarre. My second save file had them in the first ten or so weeks. :shrug:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
When I got my first Arbalest, I realized that I had basically neglected trinkets the entire time I played the game. So I go in and just immediately slap a pair of Legendary Bracers on her. She was regularly critting for 50 from the get-go, and barely ever misses, it's great.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I 2-shot the level 3 Hag with +140% damage critical Pistol Shots. I also blew up the Level 3 Cannon with Occultist Mark -> Sniper Shot -> Collect Bounty x2 on the first turn due to getting triple crits, which was amusing. Given how my second save file got poo poo for trinket drops and most of my dudes spent their free time missing, getting crit on, and going insane, I swear that first save file won some sort of RNG lottery upon creation.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

Grave Robber's Lunge + Shadow Fade is a pretty good setup to work with, as well as one of the reasons I feel dark runs kinda got nerfed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Angry Diplomat posted:

I really like Man At Arms, he consistently does good melee damage. Reynauld keeps eating poo poo within the first 10 or 12 weeks though.

MAA is a great class, way more reliable than Bounty Hunter imho.. Especially since most of my characters who can Mark are SPD 0.. :barf:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Got a new Crusader named "Mariage". His resolve is tested quite often.. And fails. :downsrim:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there any chart for trap disarming odds and which classes to it best? I assume Highwayman and Grave robber have the best bonuses, but my Jester and even my Plague Doc seem to pull it off far more often than not.

Also, does that Lovecraftian boss that appears when you sacrifice a torch to his altar give any other trinkets than his tentacle? I only killed him once, and while the item is not too bad, it's not quite worth the stress of a tough battle at 0-torch for another.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Sephyr posted:

Is there any chart for trap disarming odds and which classes to it best? I assume Highwayman and Grave robber have the best bonuses, but my Jester and even my Plague Doc seem to pull it off far more often than not.

Also, does that Lovecraftian boss that appears when you sacrifice a torch to his altar give any other trinkets than his tentacle? I only killed him once, and while the item is not too bad, it's not quite worth the stress of a tough battle at 0-torch for another.

It's in their status screen. It's the last entry in Resistances. Higher ranks give every class a bonus to it, so later on you can disarm most of them using anyone. My grave robber has 90%.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sephyr posted:

Bounty Hunter, Highwayman, Grave Robber, and Occultist are all pretty good a traps as well. Jester's does not seem that good actually, like 10 or 20% starting out, compared to 30% or 40% for the other more rogue-y guys. Or maybe I just never get my jesters leveled up far.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 14, 2015

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Okay, can someone just give me an entire team/trinket/move setup that makes the Jester useful? I'm nearing the end of my best run yet and I felt a lot better after just giving up on them. They just seem so bad in every respect compared to most any other class in every slot that I don't get how anyone can use them outside of gimmick or completionist runs. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills :psyduck:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, can someone explain to me how the hell I change my controls? Also who the gently caress releases a game without that feature?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Am I just the unluckiest person ever? I fought a ton of Shamblers, both at random and at altars, and I got like 5 ancestral trinkets at first, but I haven't found a single one since. What gives?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Okay, can someone just give me an entire team/trinket/move setup that makes the Jester useful? I'm nearing the end of my best run yet and I felt a lot better after just giving up on them. They just seem so bad in every respect compared to most any other class in every slot that I don't get how anyone can use them outside of gimmick or completionist runs. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills :psyduck:

I never had any luck with the "stick em in the back to play songs" style of Jestering and always favored using them as frontliners with high evade, a good bleed attack and a mix of other attack moves. Pretty similar to how I wind up using grave robbers, really. At present I'd consider them underpowered vs. the BH/MAA/Arb mark shenanigans, but doesn't everyone kind of expect a nerf on that here soon? I mean ITT dudes are talking about first round KOs on bosses using that kinda setup.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

chairface posted:

I never had any luck with the "stick em in the back to play songs" style of Jestering and always favored using them as frontliners with high evade, a good bleed attack and a mix of other attack moves. Pretty similar to how I wind up using grave robbers, really. At present I'd consider them underpowered vs. the BH/MAA/Arb mark shenanigans, but doesn't everyone kind of expect a nerf on that here soon? I mean ITT dudes are talking about first round KOs on bosses using that kinda setup.
The song buffs can be great, but the problem is, they take time (3-4 rounds minimum) to really make a difference that way, and as the game stands now, pure damage will always be more useful, so it's not worth giving up that full DPS spot for that long. I haven't used one in a long time, but they are fun as a sort of gimmick setup to play around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
My grimdark village does not accept jesters or their lighthearted buffoonery.