Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amanasleep
May 21, 2008

SNAKE COCK

WHEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Aftermath and Aftershock are really worth it, though they're very different than the UFO games. As the poster above said, they're much more real-time-with-pause like the combat mission series, but by Aftershock you have a ton of variety in soldiers, classes, abilities, and upgrades that can give you a lot of cool strategies to play with. The simultaneity of combat does make it much more lethal at times, though. The atmosphere in Aftermath and Aftershock is also pretty dang good. Definitely well worth 99 cents.

Also Aftershock had the most batshit insane plot twist ever.

I found this on the steam store page for aftermath

That's..that's just swell.

Is UFO Extraterrestrials any good?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

FirstAidKite posted:

Are any of the xcom-like games good?

I have UFO Extraterrestrials but I've never played it. There's also UFO Aftermath, Aftershock, and Afterlight (which I guess are unrelated to UFO Extraterrestrials??) and they're all 99 cents except afterlight which is $1.39, and I dunno if those are good or not. Then there is xenonauts which I know absolutely nothing about.

Are any of those games good, or decent, or at least worth getting if they're cheap?

no

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Yay Bradford's back!

Hey Central, so how have you been keeping bu-

Oh.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Iron Twinkie posted:

Yay Bradford's back!

Hey Central, so how have you been keeping bu-

Oh.

Oh god, lol.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FirstAidKite posted:

I found this on the steam store page for aftermath

That's..that's just swell.

Is UFO Extraterrestrials any good?

The Carcrab is a loving rear end in a top hat, he shoots wizard lightning and is well defended by his car.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So did they patch something into the OG game? I had my headphones off so I only saw it briefly but Bradford was asking someone "What do you mean he says he saw a snake?"

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

ShineDog posted:

So did they patch something into the OG game? I had my headphones off so I only saw it briefly but Bradford was asking someone "What do you mean he says he saw a snake?"

Nah, that's always been in there.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Night10194 posted:

Aftermath and Aftershock are really worth it, though they're very different than the UFO games. As the poster above said, they're much more real-time-with-pause like the combat mission series, but by Aftershock you have a ton of variety in soldiers, classes, abilities, and upgrades that can give you a lot of cool strategies to play with. The simultaneity of combat does make it much more lethal at times, though. The atmosphere in Aftermath and Aftershock is also pretty dang good. Definitely well worth 99 cents.

Also Aftershock had the most batshit insane plot twist ever.

Xenonauts is basically an enhanced remake of the original X-Com. It's not a looker but it gets the job done pretty well.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
All the UFO games are "fine". Some even rise to level of "good" in their best moments, and at the price Steam is asking. The main advantage they all share is that Real Time w/ Pause is so hilariously better than turn-based for this style of game. You can actually sit down and play them in a couple of hours and make real progress and its not a tedious slog to do even small maps.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Wow, gently caress the early game retrieval mission in Paris. Thin men literally raining from the sky.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Elderbean posted:

Wow, gently caress the early game retrieval mission in Paris. Thin men literally raining from the sky.

lol, we are back to gently caress thin men.

This isn't directed at you, it is just lol funny.

Edit: Yes, gently caress thin men.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

ShineDog posted:

"What do you mean you think you saw a snake? What the hell does that have to do with anything!?"

I've only ever heard it once but boy did it make me laugh.

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 11, 2015

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Pohl posted:

lol, we are back to gently caress thin men.

This isn't directed at you, it is just lol funny.

Edit: Yes, gently caress thin men.

I'm new to the game so my hatred is fresh.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the snakes were reportedly also the thin men so i agree with this sentiment

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I just bought Enemy Within, so I should probably get around to playing through XCOM again, but maybe I should wait for the Thin Men Boobs mod.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just picked up Enemy Within - it says that it includes new maps and missions but I assume these are just incorporated into the base game and to access it all I just replay the original campaign from Enemy Unknown to access them (in addition to the new abilities/upgrades/weapons etc)?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Lol uuuhhh, what happened here and how do i fix it? (94000 alloys)

Latest LW beta and using the ini from here:

The Iron Rose posted:

Eh why not.

I forked the above mod and added in Zoran's MEC changes.

http://pastebin.com/8gU8svWC

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 11, 2015

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Jerusalem posted:

I just picked up Enemy Within - it says that it includes new maps and missions but I assume these are just incorporated into the base game and to access it all I just replay the original campaign from Enemy Unknown to access them (in addition to the new abilities/upgrades/weapons etc)?

Nope, the launcher gets morphed and you'll choose to launch Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within. check the additional options on starting a new game to make sure that you've got the two "operation" mission sets, if you want them.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Lol uuuhhh, what happened here and how do i fix it?

you need at least 10 weapon fragments

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Control Volume posted:

you need at least 10 weapon fragments

what about the 94000 alloys tho??

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dongattack posted:

what about the 94000 alloys tho??

those might take longer to get but you should focus on the weapon fragments first imo

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Control Volume posted:

those might take longer to get but you should focus on the weapon fragments first imo

i know i can do it, i know i can achive the ending to x-com 1 that the developers envisioned, this minor hurdle of 94,000 alien alloys will only fuel my journey towards this goal

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
At least thin men stop being an issue once you get a few months in. It would of been real bad if they had some late game variation with plasma sniper rifles.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

It would of been real bad if they had some late game variation with plasma sniper rifles.

This will be snakes in XCOM 2 starting from mission #2. They'll have squadsight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zomborgon posted:

Nope, the launcher gets morphed and you'll choose to launch Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within. check the additional options on starting a new game to make sure that you've got the two "operation" mission sets, if you want them.

Oh that's cool, thanks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Internet Kraken posted:

At least thin men stop being an issue once you get a few months in. It would of been real bad if they had some late game variation with plasma sniper rifles.

Maybe it is an index to my self hatred, but at the point in my last game when Thin Men became a joke and Muton Elites and Heavy Floaters started showing up, I kinda wanted this to happen.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Mymla posted:

They'll have squadsight.

Squadsnake. Snakesight. Snakesnake.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Can anyone explain "Overwatch traps"?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Can i turn off the slingshot missions and if i do do i lose whatever cosmetic stuff was added with that dlc?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kly posted:

Can i turn off the slingshot missions and if i do do i lose whatever cosmetic stuff was added with that dlc?

You keep the cosmetics.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Phobophilia posted:

Generally, staying out of sight of aliens and waiting for them to move into your soldier's overwatch.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Lol uuuhhh, what happened here and how do i fix it? (94000 alloys)

This is not a bug.
This will be in the next release for B15

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dyzzy posted:

Generally, staying out of sight of aliens and waiting for them to move into your soldier's overwatch.

Can you pull it off with a single guy hunkered forwards in high cover in sight of the aliens, and the rest of your squad overwatching in the back, or do everyone need to fall back?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Phobophilia posted:

Can you pull it off with a single guy hunkered forwards in high cover in sight of the aliens, and the rest of your squad overwatching in the back, or do everyone need to fall back?

It's much less effective if they can see any of your soldiers since they're likely to just take shots at that soldier or stay put.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Phobophilia posted:

It's like you're totally into this Viper. She's all undulating and hot. But when you get close, it's a Thin Man.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's like you're totally into this Viper. She's all undulating and hot. But when you get close, it's a Thin Man.

Also, he'll shoot you if you make any moves on him.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Also, he'll shoot you if you make any moves on him.

As if thin mints need a reason to shoot.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Ballpark overwatch rules for new people. It's a trap. Be careful how you use it.without skills its less accurate and can't crit, and if you rely on an overwatch kill to keep you alive you'll be disappointed fast.

Don't expect to just catch aliens coming though the door with the plan to gun then down from the other side, it's often better to break line off site to a choke point altogether and prep for a good assault in the next turn than it is to hang around on a corner square or worse and hope you get the kill before you get blasted.

Also, if there's an alien in hard cover never ever ever overwatch hoping it will leave, because it knows that an overwatching soldier can see it and it'll just blast you.

If you are going heavily towards overwatch in a turn you want excellent cover, overwhelming firepower, and if you can to force the aliens to use both moves, because if they can get to a corner before you see them they'll kill you and to Hell with your overwatch, it just won't happen.

Also overwatch strategy falls apart because drones zoom across the map like little bastards.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Phobophilia posted:

Upon contact, withdraw and overwatch. Best done if none of your troopers are in sight of any aliens. (if any soldier is seen, the aliens know where your entire squad is)

Also, try not to do it in situations where the aliens have the ability to move to a "corner." They need to move from a tile-in-sight to another tile to trigger overwatch fire. If the alien is behind a building out of sight, it is likely to move to a corner where it can see you, and not trigger overwatch fire. Your poor bastard in half cover is going to get smoked by the thin man.

• Locked thread