Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I might actually do that. Unfortunately I'm stuck with two slow-as-hell USB 2.0 mechanicals so I might try to borrow a thunderbolt or usb3 ssd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So I'm doing a clean-install of Yosemite, too much stuff held over from beta builds that are causing issues and I want to start fresh.

I'm in the process of backing stuff up to external HDDs and was wondering what sort of non-obvious stuff I should be copying?

This is what I'm backing up so far:

Also should I bother copying all the files stored on my iCloud drive? My plan was to just put them back in the appropriate folders when I do a clean install but I think OS X treats the iCloud drive file structure a bit differently from the rest.
Just curious, is that just some checklist app? I was thinking some weird backup app trying to be fancy then noticed the question marks and exclamation points here and there.

JHVH-1 posted:

If I had an external drive big enough, I would just clone the whole thing to it.
Then if poo poo hits the fan you could just boot off your clone or plug it in and all your old stuff is there.
And yeah this is what I've been doing more or less (or wish I did...I couldn't find some random old rear end file a while back :argh:). Only real caveat is that if there's any clutter you just get progressively more cluttered every time you do it unless you take time and clean it all up. At this point it's just like "gently caress it, go Spotlight!" when I want to find something old.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

japtor posted:

Just curious, is that just some checklist app? I was thinking some weird backup app trying to be fancy then noticed the question marks and exclamation points here and there.
That's Wunderlist.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any free alternatives for a TRIM enabler other then this: https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/ ?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shin-chan posted:

What additional resizing options are you looking for that aren't there?

The thought process is that you wouldn't "resize" a photo within the database because it's stored in the database. You resize a copy after you get it out of the database (exporting) so that the original is preserved.

^This for individual photos. It can also do un-constrained resizing.
Automator can do bulk resizing.

Welp, you found it. The sizing option is hidden by default and I didn't notice the arrow to expand it. Cool, the next time I need it that'll save me a couple of steps.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why isn't the user pictures dir(or a lot of the other user dirs) on by default in the favorites panel in finder? Its easy enough to get to with command+up from documents but how is grandma supposed to know that?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

lol internet. posted:

Any free alternatives for a TRIM enabler other then this: https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/ ?

I could never get that TRIM enabler to actually do the disable signing properly on my old Mac Pro. This one worked for me though.

http://chameleon.alessandroboschini.com/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Why isn't the user pictures dir(or a lot of the other user dirs) on by default in the favorites panel in finder? Its easy enough to get to with command+up from documents but how is grandma supposed to know that?

Probably because Apple hates Finder and all things file system related in favour of libraries. Grandma should use Photos (and she's probably the only person who should).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Err, if I select a few files in finder, how do I get info on their total size? Its not showing the status bar.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cmd Option I (as in India)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

Cmd Option I (as in India)

Thanks. Thats not even in the menu? WTF?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Shaocaholica posted:

If you have a menu open and hold down option, the options sometime change.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Dude its OSX. Keyboard shortcuts are black magic. Shut up and fall in line!

But pressing option usually changes poo poo hahah. So many hidden menus!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

crazysim posted:

If you have a menu open and hold down option, the options sometime change.

How are people who are supposedly burdened by a 2nd mouse button supposed to figure this out intuitively? Things like sending out a bunch of files via gmail and staying under the 25MB quota is a common enough task and I'm sure there are other common everyday data footprint tasks.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Anyone aware of any reason why Safari shits itself when I use Netflix? It gives up loading the homepage, no images or anything then just says it has lost the connection.

Downloaded Chrome and it works fine in that.. Am I blaming Silverlight or Mr Jobs (rip)?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

Dude its OSX. Keyboard shortcuts are black magic. Shut up and fall in line!

But pressing option usually changes poo poo hahah. So many hidden menus!

It bothers me that they use these ridiculous symbols instead of just opt, cmd, ctrl, shift. Like, I've been using a Mac for a year and I use keyboard shortcuts constantly, but gently caress me if I know the difference between ⌘ ⌥ and ⌃.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

tuyop posted:

It bothers me that they use these ridiculous symbols instead of just opt, cmd, ctrl, shift. Like, I've been using a Mac for a year and I use keyboard shortcuts constantly, but gently caress me if I know the difference between ⌘ ⌥ and ⌃.

If you pay close attention to the menu hints for the keyboard commands you will see when you press one it adds the modifier symbol to it as well as changes the wording. If they wrote out everything the menus would have been super cluttered.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
My MBP keyboard doesn't have these symbols: ⇧, ⌥ and ⌃

How is that helpful for the average user?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Well, ^ is standard for Control in *nix, so that's fine. The ⌥ is quite a literal pictograph, it's an OPTION... you see how it takes one path instead of the other...? Hahah. I know, it's very stupid.

⌘ I dunno.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

My MBP keyboard doesn't have these symbols: ⇧, ⌥ and ⌃

How is that helpful for the average user?

Yeah, it would be fine to replace your buttons with arcane symbols if you just put them on the loving button. Like, here

WTF do I press to force quit finder? These look like dance steps, not stuff on my keyboard!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Anyone aware of any reason why Safari shits itself when I use Netflix? It gives up loading the homepage, no images or anything then just says it has lost the connection.

Downloaded Chrome and it works fine in that.. Am I blaming Silverlight or Mr Jobs (rip)?

Works fine for me!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

WTF do I press to force quit finder?

Cmd-Opt-Escape. That's OS X's 'force quit' window. If it doesn't have a UI, maybe go to Terminal do a top and then k pid.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

If it's a modern Mac you shouldn't even need Silverlight installed anymore.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

Well, ^ is standard for Control in *nix, so that's fine. The ⌥ is quite a literal pictograph, it's an OPTION... you see how it takes one path instead of the other...? Hahah. I know, it's very stupid.

⌘ I dunno.

How the gently caress do I raise shields?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

How the gently caress do I raise shields?

Dixie-Twiddle-JayZ-Llama.

At the same time, with one hand.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If it's a modern Mac you shouldn't even need Silverlight installed anymore.

2010... Running 10.9? So not modern I fear.

It's weird because it seems to brick Safari and my connection until I quit the app. Yet chrome is flawless, I think silverlight is to blame as the Internet suggests Chrome doesn't use silverlight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Silverlight is a piece of poo poo and I remember having nothing but trouble with it back when I was on Windows 7.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want an actual Apple on my keyboard again.

Pivo posted:

Cmd-Opt-Escape. That's OS X's 'force quit' window. If it doesn't have a UI, maybe go to Terminal do a top and then k pid.
killall Finder

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

2010... Running 10.9? So not modern I fear.

It's weird because it seems to brick Safari and my connection until I quit the app. Yet chrome is flawless, I think silverlight is to blame as the Internet suggests Chrome doesn't use silverlight.

Does Netflix even support the Mac/Silverlight combo anymore?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cingulate posted:

killall Finder

Sure that works but Finder will always be in the cmd-opt-esc list. I mean another app might not be if it doesn't have a UI, then you have to track down the pid and kill it in the terminal. That'll be rare though. You can also do it from Activity Monitor.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I mean my point was that, while I know how to get to the force quit menu because I'll just mash those symbol keys until I get what I want, it's dumb because they could just put a picture of the symbol on the key itself!

Pivo posted:

⌘ I dunno.

This is a good way to remember (though cmd is just right there so Dixie isn't needed!).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Yep, on any pre-2012 Mac it still uses Silverlight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I want an actual Apple on my keyboard again.

Whenever I'm giving a class I still call it the Apple key and nobody knows what I'm talking about :corsair:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Last Chance posted:

All Macs with Sandy Bridge processors or older use it for Netflix in Safari. In newer Macs, there is a new EFI call that returns mystery data and is used for DRM - iTunes Movies and HTML 5 DRM in Safari. Older Macs don't have that in the EFI, so they still have to use Silverlight.

Chrome does its own HTML5 DRM thing, so I would just use Chrome to watch Netflix personally.

The really weird part is that I think Sandy Bridge Macs support HTML5 Netflix despite not supporting the EFI thing.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 12, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also ya can't Chromecast from Safari in 2015 so there's another reason to use Chrome

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Argh, you know, looking back - I always thought the Option icon represented a RAILWAY switch. But the more I thought about it, I couldn't find a way for that configuration to work. Then I realized that I'm a total dumbass. It represents an electronic switch. That's what the Option icon means. It's a simple switch.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yep, on any pre-2012 Mac it still uses Silverlight.

What changed in 2012? Quicksync?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

carry on then posted:

HTML 5 DRM enforced in part with EFI calls, for some reason.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

I believe the specific technology Sandy Bridge introduced was Trusted Execution Technology, which Netflix's HTML5 player (on Safari) uses for DRM. Nehalem didn't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I believe the specific technology Sandy Bridge introduced was Trusted Execution Technology, which Netflix's HTML5 player (on Safari) uses for DRM. Nehalem didn't have it.

You sure it uses trusted execution? Sandy Bridge Macs don't have the EFI changes I was talking about (Videos with FairPlay from iTunes will play fine on a computer with a, uh, 'alternative' bootloader, whereas that is broken on Ivy and higher) and TET obviously doesn't work on a Hack, yet videos play just fine. I only bring that up as the EFI on real Macs is more of a black box whereas EFI calls can be logged on a generic PC.

They changed something but I suspect it was only the EFI thing. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. No big deal. Just curious.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 12, 2015