Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quite A Tool posted:

I used to dream that one day I'd be a prolific writer, and then I spent a year interning at a local newspaper writing a column during highschool. I loving hated it and now I don't even write for fun. Honestly for the best, it was a great hobby but horrible to do on a deadline.

I won a poo poo ton of awards for stupid poo poo I wrote in HS, did the paper internship, was going to go to NYU etc etc. Then the girl jacked the plan up beyond repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cage posted:

We used to play MTA:SA together didn't we? Or was it VC?

poo poo yeah we did. SA. OJ mode was the stuff of legends.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was making six figures with all expenses paid at 25 and then realized it wasn't worth the ridiculous stress, micromanagement, and nonsense involved in that job, and that I'd take a 50% pay cut just to sleep in my own bed every night.

Then I quit, tried to do my own thing and failed 'cause I couldn't sell water to a man on fire, and got hired at my dream job for a ~20% pay cut.

loving worth it. I enjoy drat near every day at work and make more than I did before I went off chasing money.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Test driving a 2012 Genesis 2.0T coupe tomorrow. Anything I should look for?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
You guys and gals (gal?) ready for some good news?

because i have some good news. I had some ct and MRI scans done yesterday and had a consultation with my oncologist today. All the tumours in my upper torso have encapsulated and are decreasing in size, the ones on my neck are gone and the one in my lumbar region is going in the right direction. I have like...alot less cancer then i did two months ago and my chances of survival have gone from sub 50% to between 85 and 95%. I am beating this poo poo, and this time its for real. The forecast is that i will be ending treatment in october with a last "gently caress you" chemo cycle.

I have celebrated with taking the family out to dinner, taking the boys fishing on the dock and preordering the new Sony A7R v2. (photogeeks will now what i mean)

Then my father during dinner started asking very strange questions about my dimensions. and before desert was on the table he had ordered me a Canyon Aeroad Slx 8.0 Di2. I dont know if i deserve it, but he firmly believes that the reason i am (probably) getting trough this is because i have ridden my bike all the way trough treatment, and wanted me to know that he cared. i guess my family is kinda awsome.

I know that there might be setbacks and nasty surprises, but this is the first time i have been truly optimistic about getting rid of this poo poo. I can see the finish line guys.

Sorry for the E/N, i just felt like sharing

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fjelltorsk posted:

because i have some good news. I had some ct and MRI scans done yesterday and had a consultation with my oncologist today. All the tumours in my upper torso have encapsulated and are decreasing in size, the ones on my neck are gone and the one in my lumbar region is going in the right direction. I have like...alot less cancer then i did two months ago and my chances of survival have gone from sub 50% to between 85 and 95%. I am beating this poo poo, and this time its for real. The forecast is that i will be ending treatment in october with a last "gently caress you" chemo cycle.

I have celebrated with taking the family out to dinner, taking the boys fishing on the dock and preordering the new Sony A7R v2. (photogeeks will now what i mean)

Then my father during dinner started asking very strange questions about my dimensions. and before desert was on the table he had ordered me a Canyon Aeroad Slx 8.0 Di2. I dont know if i deserve it, but he firmly believes that the reason i am (probably) getting trough this is because i have ridden my bike all the way trough treatment, and wanted me to know that he cared. i guess my family is kinda awsome.

I know that there might be setbacks and nasty surprises, but this is the first time i have been truly optimistic about getting rid of this poo poo. I can see the finish line guys.

Valhalla will have to wait for this one..

Awesome news.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Interviewed at that fleet job today. They need a mechanic who also is good at tires and willing to work weekends. They'd also have me get my inspection certificate for trailers-which is something I didn't realize you could do during a truck apprenticeship, though it makes sense since you've got all the requisites for a trailer mechanic ticket at the halfway point of a truck ticket. And inspections are where the gravy's at.
But their service manager is also a guy from the lovely tranny shop. He's not that total dickbag service manager I've bitched about that hosed me over royally on multiple occasions, but he is a man with whom I've had a few, shall we say hearty disagreements. Despite that it went reasonably well. I'm still looking but I wouldn't be shocked if I got the call.

First tracked tank on the Lexus. 17.2 MPG. Not too bad actually given that I've been running the A/C steady (hah, like that makes a big difference in a V8 luxobarge) and driving like an idiot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Comrade Flynn posted:

poo poo yeah we did. SA. OJ mode was the stuff of legends.
Aw yiss.

I just sent an email to someone on craigslist who was selling a pair of headlights for a 1999 bmw.

tags posted:

Tags; ignore civic si eg jdm usdm type-r coupe hatch integra gsr 240 sx swap lsd quaife tranny b16 b16a2 b16a hydro cable scion del sol eclipse gt mustang gt best offer b18c5 b18c b18 b18b1 obd1 obd2 ex subaru wrx evolution evo8 mr evo9 mitsubishi accord prelude celica tercel acura el leather interior pioneer p4400bh navigation system prelude sh domani power folding mirrors ek9 96-00 rwar disc conversion Perfect for many vehicles including: Honda Civic, Accord, Prelude, CRV, Acura CSX, RSX, TSX, ILX, Integra, Toyota Corolla, Matrix, FRS, Pontiac Vibe, Pursuit GT, Sunfire, Chevrolet Cavalier, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Mazda 3, Mazda 5, Miata MX5, Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS, WRX, BRZ Kia Forte, Hyundai Elantra, Tiburon, Accent, Lexus IS250, IS300, Nissan Sentra, Altima, Infinity G35, G35x, G37, Mitsubishi Lancer, Galant, Eclipse, and many many others... TEJIMA brand same quality as others, D1, skunk2, etc..

gently caress youuuuu. He probably copied and pasted that from another ad, but what hes selling is so specific that the list is beyond retarded. He didnt even do a super obvious "E36" tag. I can see people doing the lovely tags if theyre selling a similar car but I just had to email this guy to tell him that hes dumb. I realize that makes me the dumb one too, though.

edit: I searched for "mustang"

fjelltorsk posted:

I will admit I felt a lump in my throat reading this (no pun intended :v:). Good news and caring family is the best!

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 11, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Id be perfectly happy being a bum and just cycling all the time. gently caress work and the BS.

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddammit, this week sucks. First James Last dies and now Christopher Lee as well :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjuKIg6Tx0

Rest in peace, Dracula/Scaramanga/Lucifer/Saruman/that creepy dentist from Willy Wonka/etc. etc. etc.

Seriously, just look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lee_filmography

He also recorded two heavy metal concept albums about Charlemagne. The first when he was 87 and the second when he was 90. He had a fantastic fantastic voice even at that age.

My favorite Christoper Lee story was when filing LOTR, Peter Jackson was saying that Sauman was going to get stabbed in the back, do this, flail about, scream etc and Mr Lee says "No Peter, a man stabbed in the back does this..." and everyone one set realized Mr Lee had indeed at one point in his life actually sneaked up and stabbed someone (probably a Nazi, given he was a British "irregular Operations" agent in WWII) in the back.

A sad loss but a life well lived to say the least.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Beach Bum posted:

Additionally it functions directly as a fun meter :haw:

Yes. Yes it does. It also works as a 'police officer interest' gauge!

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

fjelltorsk posted:

That's fantastic news! The Aeroad will be strong medicine in your eventual recovery. gently caress cancer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

:toot: Yay! :toot:

fjelltorsk posted:

That's a lot of camera there. Very nice.

fjelltorsk posted:

That's a hell of a bike too. You have an awesome dad, and thanks for sharing the great news.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

fjelltorsk posted:

This actually really brightened up my day, glad to hear you are winning :D

88h88 posted:

Valhalla will have to wait for this one..

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

fjelltorsk posted:

Excellent... gently caress cancer, and good luck finally beating it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

fjelltorsk posted:

Good news like this should always be shared!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Properly installed battery?

:D

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

fjelltorsk posted:

This is great. Science is awesome.

I've had Otis Redding stuck in my head the past 3 days since a good majority of my working hours have been spent sitting at the end of a pier, just watching things sail up and down the river.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

Awesome, dude! Congratulations!

Now finish it off.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

:perfect: Hell yes man, congratulations on getting through the worst of that poo poo. Celebrate, you deserve it. This did remind me I should probably get the strange little lumps on my neck looked at.

In other news :siren:Steam Summer Sale has started:siren: Just picked up the Homeworld Remastered Collection, loved those games when they were originally released.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Yesterday I put a new flywheel in a 4.6 e150, and it took about three and a half hours. Which is a half hour over book time. Then today I pulled a steering box out of a 95 ram2500 cummins. In one hour would have put it back together but the customer says he needs only OEM for his rusty little poo poo baby. It feels strange to realize how far ive come in so little time. Last year I was a hosed over semi skilled at a dealership. This year im just a tech making hourly in a truck/hotrod shop. I couldn't be happier. :iia:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

fjelltorsk posted:

This is loving fantastic news! Congratulations!

NitroSpazzz posted:

In other news :siren:Steam Summer Sale has started:siren: Just picked up the Homeworld Remastered Collection, loved those games when they were originally released.
For those goons who are on the fence about entering the Automation GTE simulation race, then be glad to know Automation is 10% off today http://store.steampowered.com/app/293760/

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 12, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Rhyno posted:

Properly installed battery?

:D

I... got... nothing. :cheers:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fjelltorsk posted:

loving awesome man. Seriously loving awesome. Huge, huge congrats on that!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

NitroSpazzz posted:

:perfect: Hell yes man, congratulations on getting through the worst of that poo poo. Celebrate, you deserve it. This did remind me I should probably get the strange little lumps on my neck looked at.

Summer sale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxcSNaVCPA

I can actually afford to buy a bunch of poo poo for once and my interest level is nill.

fjelltorsk posted:

As E/N goes, it's a good one. Good job.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 12, 2015

piss boner
May 17, 2003

fjelltorsk posted:

That is so loving awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Fantastic news man!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

A different car :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fjelltorsk posted:

Sony A7R v2 / Canyon Aeroad Slx 8.0 Di2.

Almost worth the cancer. Congratulations (but real men cable shift)!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fjelltorsk posted:

Get a Fuji instead. :P

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I thought the 2.0T motor in the Genesis was fantastic?

Speaking of fantastic, why have the Genesis Sedan prices plummeted lately? They used to not depreciate at all now you can get a one year used one for like half price.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Phone posted:

Get a Fuji instead. :P

Personally if I was looking at that price point I'd be seriously looking at the Nikon D750, because Nikon lets you look down your nose at other camera owners better. :v:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Comrade Flynn posted:

I've always told my clients it's easy to make a mobile game make money - it's much more difficult to have one make money AND be fun.

Given what my business does (we work with Apple and Google to help our clients get featured) it usually requires the game be fun first and foremost.

Yeah, mobile games themselves aren't evil or bad, and the space is getting massively better and less exploitative as time goes on. I guess I'm just a bit bitter about having to go to pitch meetings and having the studio head or the EP's go "Yeah, but what do you expect the DARPU to be?" or "What freemium features can we add to this to increase the player experience?"

Who gives a poo poo, we're not making a F2P game, and none of us cared about that 6 months ago.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

Yeah, mobile games themselves aren't evil or bad, and the space is getting massively better and less exploitative as time goes on. I guess I'm just a bit bitter about having to go to pitch meetings and having the studio head or the EP's go "Yeah, but what do you expect the DARPU to be?" or "What freemium features can we add to this to increase the player experience?"

Who gives a poo poo, we're not making a F2P game, and none of us cared about that 6 months ago.

You'll be pleased to know it's ARPDAU now. Plus D1 D3 D7 and D30 Retention and D30 D60 and D90 LTV!

But adding in freemium features is dumb. You need to design the game from the ground up to actually work. And I don't like adding in that stuff to console titles. Mobile and console are completely different experiences but I think people are starting to catch on.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

meatpimp posted:

Almost worth the cancer. Congratulations (but real men cable shift)!

Hehe, not quite. but close. (i will still ride my klein with ultegra 6800, and i figured, the aeroad looks like a space bike, why not go full retard.)

"get a fuji,nikon whatevs"

I swapped from a Canon 5d mk3 to a sony A6000, loving amazing camera for the price, because i caught my self leaving the 5d at home because of the bulk. Since i new i would eventually get a FF sony i just was not able to decide between the A7R and A7 mk2 i have picked up FE glass when investing in native glass so i can use it on both. And when sony announced the a7r2 yesterday i knew the decision was taken for me. Todays news just gave me a nudge to say "gently caress it," and make sure that i get one of the first one that reaches scandiavia. I cant wait to use my vintage Nikon and pentax glass on a 42mp, stabilized FF sensor.

I am just so happy tonight that i am sitting in my underpants eating peanuts and watching cat videos on youtube.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fjelltorsk posted:

Hehe, not quite. but close. (i will still ride my klein with ultegra 6800, and i figured, the aeroad looks like a space bike, why not go full retard.)

"get a fuji,nikon whatevs"

I swapped from a Canon 5d mk3 to a sony A6000, loving amazing camera for the price, because i caught my self leaving the 5d at home because of the bulk. Since i new i would eventually get a FF sony i just was not able to decide between the A7R and A7 mk2 i have picked up FE glass when investing in native glass so i can use it on both. And when sony announced the a7r2 yesterday i knew the decision was taken for me. Todays news just gave me a nudge to say "gently caress it," and make sure that i get one of the first one that reaches scandiavia. I cant wait to use my vintage Nikon and pentax glass on a 42mp, stabilized FF sensor.

I am just so happy tonight that i am sitting in my underpants eating peanuts and watching cat videos on youtube.

If you're not using the 5D anymore, I'll gladly take it off your hands... I'll even pay customs. :D

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Hey i havent had a rant in June yet!

Yesterday right before we close a Ford Freestar gets hauled in from 150 miles away on a flatbed that sounded like loving tigers chewing metal cans. Guy was up fishing from Chicago and all the sudden his belt stopped moving.
As we were the closest franchise I got the ticket. A/C clutch looks like it had been redhot for sometime before seizing. "I dont get it" he says, "I just had a new A/C compressor put in last week! and its my third one in 2 months!" Somehow he didnt realize that turning off his AC would allow the belt to spin freely all three times this happened to him.
So i pull like 3 pounds of r134a out of this thing, Seems to hold vaccume. I get to the back where the rear unit sits and realize nobody has serviced that poo poo in ever. Sure enough its completely clogged up. With OEM orifice tube. Next I go back up front and realize that the orifice tube in the front was never changed during any of the last two compressor installs. After finally getting to the front orifice tube out by breaking the line. It was completely clogged as well. So thankfully they decided to do a rear system delete since it suddenly comes to light a day later that "It never worked anyway." And now Im rebuilding the entire front system. For free basically save one hose that the other chain store finally agreed to sell us.
Oh and our regualr manager had off today, so I got spend the whole day with the district manager overlooking every single thing I did. And I was hungover from drinking a rather large portion of a Guinness half barrel last night.

4 years since ive moved back from that hosed up town and still, Chicago Strikes again!
I would have loved to see the techs face when his boss told him what a right retard he is.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 12, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

meatpimp posted:

If you're not using the 5D anymore, I'll gladly take it off your hands... I'll even pay customs. :D

Sorry dude, i sold that body and my 70-200 2.8, 24-105 and sigma 50 1,4 just before canon started teasing the 5Ds. Only thing i miss is the 70-200, but i spent that money on a nikon 180 2.8 ED and a voigtlander 50mm 0,95 for some bokehballs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fjelltorsk posted:

Sorry dude, i sold that body and my 70-200 2.8, 24-105 and sigma 50 1,4 just before canon started teasing the 5Ds. Only thing i miss is the 70-200, but i spent that money on a nikon 180 2.8 ED and a voigtlander 50mm 0,95 for some bokehballs.

One of these days I'll get a FF Canon and be able to see what my 17-40L will really do. :unsmith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Walked into work today. Boss was pissed about the front drawer being $100 short on Saturday, and was trying to figure out how it happened - 3 people had their hands in it, myself included. I also worked Sun and Mon.

I asked him "... did anybody look under the till, in the drawer?"

Boss goes up front and lifts the till from the drawer. "WHO THE gently caress PUTS A $100 UNDER THE TILL?!" :fuckoff:

Me: Someone who's run $30k+ through a register in a single shift. You never leave big bills visible in a till, and there were no $20s or checks to hide it under.

Boss: ... I'm calling my boss to let him know we found it.

Apparently his boss laughed and called him a "loving idiot". It's been 5 loving days since I took that $100, and nobody had bothered pulling the till from the drawer to look under there. There's even slots in the drawer to insert checks/etc under the till. Had I not been an honest person, I would have walked up front, opened it with my boss's password, and pocketed the $100 (no cameras, very little auditing on the point of sale, know GM's password, etc - I know enough about the computers to do literally everything that the GM knows how to do at this point).

Black88GTA posted:

Oh, can I play? Holy poo poo, someone else knows the "counter monkey" experience. Have you ever gotten yelled at because someone came in asking for a part for the (very) wrong model year car, you get it, and they come back a couple hours later super pissed off and yelling to your manager because "this idiot gave me the wrong part" when their shitbox is 3 years newer than the part they asked for? And then get blamed for it? Because I have. Holy poo poo gently caress working at a parts counter.

I've gone to corporate AutoZone before with complaints, but it was always over the hard sell poo poo like"bulb grease". One guy went far enough to pull out a box of shattered bulbs and start pointing at them and claiming all of them failed because the owner's didn't use bulb grease, after I said "no thanks" 3 times in a row.

Next time I went there, I rented a tool with cash. Took it back the next day, and the same guy went off on me for wanting the cash back, saying it would clean out his registers, and telling me to put the deposit on a credit card next time (I didn't have a credit card at the time, but thanks, and someone who works retail should know what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck). Not my fault they don't keep enough money in the safe to replenish the tills after tool returns. I've spoken to the district manager that oversees that store enough times about this guy we were on a first name basis at one point. Don't know how this guy is still working there, but he's mellowed way out.

CommieGIR posted:

Either way, its working out to me being maybe $250 out of pocket. Which is not bad at all.

I had a 4 day hospital visit last month (started on my mother's birthday, actually) that worked out to under $400 out of pocket.

In the ICU.

loving socialist insurance, damnit Obama.

kastein posted:

I was making six figures with all expenses paid at 25 and then realized it wasn't worth the ridiculous stress, micromanagement, and nonsense involved in that job, and that I'd take a 50% pay cut just to sleep in my own bed every night.

:stare:

I fully understand the stress and micromanagement (I've managed to get managers fired by walking out when they kept micro managing, simply by recording the conversations with my phone - thank gently caress for 1 party consent states), but 6 figures... that's hard to walk away from.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I spent over 6 months shopping for the best deals to build a gaming PC. I probably earn in an hour what it cost me to build the thing.

:stonk:

I think it's been 3-4 years since I built this PC. Still very capable of all but the very latest games at max quality settings, but it wouldn't hurt to go from 8 to 16 GB of RAM.

Too bad it's mostly used to watch TV and shitpost on SA. The only game I've thrown at it that it has issues with is Crysis, and I'm pretty sure it's the power supply saying "gently caress this poo poo, I ain't got enough watts for this" (PC shuts off 1-2 minutes after starting the game). 500W PSU with a (factory) overclocked GTX 650 Ti SSC and a (overclocked by me) i5-2500k + 3 spinning HDDs.....

Black88GTA posted:

Oh, can I play? Holy poo poo, someone else knows the "counter monkey" experience. Have you ever gotten yelled at because someone came in asking for a part for the (very) wrong model year car, you get it, and they come back a couple hours later super pissed off and yelling to your manager because "this idiot gave me the wrong part" when their shitbox is 3 years newer than the part they asked for? And then get blamed for it? Because I have. Holy poo poo gently caress working at a parts counter.

I've gone to corporate AutoZone before with complaints, but it was always over the hard sell poo poo like"bulb grease". One guy went far enough to pull out a box of shattered bulbs and start pointing at them and claiming all of them failed because the owner's didn't use bulb grease, after I said "no thanks" 3 times in a row.

Next time I went there, I rented a tool with cash. Took it back the next day, and the same guy went off on me for wanting the cash back, saying it would clean out his registers, and telling me to put the deposit on a credit card next time (I didn't have a credit card at the time, but thanks, and someone who works retail should know what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck). Not my fault they don't keep enough money in the safe to replenish the tills after tool returns. I've spoken to the district manager that oversees that store enough times about this guy we were on a first name basis at one point. Don't know how this guy is still working there, but he's mellowed way out.

Cage posted:

The "newer pipe" is actually a recently replaced muffler, you just cant tell from the angle. The part that broke was the pipe that runs from the cats to the muffler.

I dont want to know what a 99 explorer looks like at the headers, the nuts must be nasty. What do I look for at a junkyard? Just the whole midpipe? Im gonna take it to a shop that replaced my muffler to see if they can fix it for cheap.

I've had to get a midpipe, complete with flex pipe, replaced by an exhaust shop.

They initially wanted several hundred, plus several days to get the right pre-bent sections. Pulled out the "I can't afford that, but it looks like you guys have several flex pipes right over there" line. Manager got irritated as hell, but the half blind guy that had been fixing the exhausts on all of my beaters for nearly a decade took me over and we found a flex pipe that would fit in place of the original with a little work.

$50 and some pizza later, I was out the door with a new flex pipe + new mid pipe (original cat retained through some very creative welding). Kept me going there for another few years until the half blind guy finally got too blind to weld decently. :smith: (he never used a helmet or goggles, just shielded his eyes with his hands.....)

The tl;dr is try hitting up an independent exhaust shop, they might be able to fix it for a lot less than you expect.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My mechanic said my wiring harness is melted to poo poo. :smithicide:

Remember that part where you said you left the battery hooked up backwards for 10+ seconds?

Next time you see that bigass loving spark and the horn goes nuts, you might want to think about disconnecting it before the smoke escapes... (not trying to be a massive dick, but how stoned were you to even finish connecting it once you got that giant rear end spark and the nonstop horn?)

meatpimp posted:

You may want to think about an insurance claim in that case. If you have comprehensive, owner-induced damage, like putting a battery in backwards and melting the harness, is covered in a lot of policies.

You're adorable.

Also IIRC it's a salvage, so good luck on that.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Thanks man. I am fed up with working on this poo poo box so it is in my mechanic's hands now. Gonna fill out a loan application with my credit union when I get home and try and get something else and then sell this gently caress box when it is driveable.

Ehhh, as a friend, I'll take the gently caress box off your hands in its current condition without charging you, just PM me a good time/date to come pick it up. Obviously I'll be covering trailer rental and finding a truck to tow it back to Texas with.

:haw:

(but seriously, yeah, sell it once it's fixed, you have no idea how many other problems are going to crop up)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

A 55 gallon drum of KY, and a sugar daddy.

I'm hardly one to rant about finances - mine are a mess, and my FICO broke 600 relatively recently for the first time in over 20 years - but you have a paid off car (granted, a total basketcase that you would be wise to unload ASAP since you fried most of the wiring), and don't get steady work. Why in the gently caress would you want to finance a car right now? This is coming from someone who makes $5.60/hour and tips who financed a car..

fjelltorsk posted:

That's not good news. Not even close to good news. That's far beyond loving awesome news, and I'm not ashamed to admit I actually cried a little bit when I saw this (happy tears, damnit). :glomp:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome news!

On a different topic, and not as happy...

When we started looking at houses, moving to an established neighborhood with kids was an extremely high priority. Like even if the house itself was perfect, if the neighborhood and people weren't what we wanted, we would pass. Well, we knew of the neighborhood we really wanted, but turnover is really low. Nevertheless, we waited for the opportunity, a house came on the market in the neighborhood we wanted, made the offer and bought it.

There are 5 boys in the neighborhood within 1 year, plus or minus my kids age. So when we get home, naturally he wants to play with the kids in the neighborhood. Within 15 minutes of getting home and as early as 8am on the weekends, one or more of the boys is knocking on the door to get my kid to go play. Which is beyond awesome for him.

But it sucks rear end for me. I knew the day would come when I got replaced as the go to for fun would come.

I just didn't think it would come at age 8.

• Locked thread