Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RVProfootballer posted:

Is the G4 out on Verizon? I'd take it over either the Note or Turbo personally.

The G4 is another good choice, I simply listed the two phones with the best battery life on Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Slo-Tek posted:

Country/Provider: US, ATT

I think I want an s6 Active

Currently on a Mobile Share Value 10 gig w/rollover data 2 phone plan for 115$ a month after employer discounts.

Went to go pick up the S6 Active today, and the mumbling sales drone informed me that I was on the NEXT plan (is this correct?), and he further said that I would be unable to put 200$ down and have the phone, which I also think is incorrect, but that I needed to enroll in the NEXT plan and pay XX$ per month to purchase this phone, but there is an XX per month bonus that covers most of that, and that the "it has been 2 years, buy another phone at a subsidized price of about 200$" is no longer a thing.

Looks like the NEXT24 plan for this phone is 29$ a month. -25$ a month for...something? Is that per account, wife needs a new phone as well, are we adding 50$ a month in fees, and getting 25$ a month taken off? or is it per line, in which case we can upgrade for free?

Is that correct?

So, I like 10 gb of data, I like 2 phones, I like my coverage, and I can live with the price, and I'm pretty sure the phone I want is this phone, but got annoyingly hustled by the sales guy, so I walked out to think on it more.

What is the best option for me?

To add to why mike said: he is correct but you are already getting a discount for being off contract. You want to get the phones on Next, but here is why:

Basically: ATT is going to no contract pricing and made it slightly cheaper. What the guy didn't explain right to you is that your monthly plan is $100 a month for 10GB (before discount), then $15 a line no contract.

If you sign a two year contract, the plan goes from $15 a month to $40 a month per line. That'll equal $1200ish for the Active for phone plus plan ($200 + $40 * 24).

ATT Next is just an installment plan to buy the phone. Phone will end up being about $650. The reason to do it is your plan stays at $15 a line, so by paying full price for the phone, and by having a lower bill, you'll end up paying about $1090 for the phone ($650 + 15 * 24).

So basically, you just pay the phone no contract. Next 12, 18 and 24 are all the same, it's just the installment of the phone over time. To add to it, the numbers in Next are the upgrade dates, so ATT Next 12 goes over 20 months, Next 18 goes over 24 months, and Next 24 goes over 30 months.

It's very convoluted and confusing. Just keep it as simple as the new plans show the true price of the phone, and the plan is lowered instead.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
A friend broke his android phone and needs a replacement - he wants something $300 or less, sturdy, with a decent camera. I think he' uses ATT.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Country: UK, but we can get a US phone as well as long as it's cheaper
No contract / will not get a contract. It has to be unlocked.
Budget: let's call it 150-200 pounds (x 1.5 in USD), ideally the lower end of that.
Features: My wife dropped her camera in an ocean so we need a new camera. Conveniently, her current phone is so terrible it struggles when she texts. We want a camera that doubles as a phone. For reference, the camera that died was a Canon PC1737 (decent 2012 era pocket cam) so anything that beats this would be "good enough", but the nicer the better.
Other preferences: Android 5.0 (if Android), no Windows phones, good video quality
Don't care about: game performance, available space, pretty much anything else except the camera and the ability to make phone calls

he;lp

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm about to get off my parents' Verizon plan. The geek plan in the TMO thread seems like it would work for me, but I keep hearing horror stories about TMO's coverage.

Country/Provider: USA, Texas specifically
Current contract status: currently month-to-month on Verizon, have been warned that this will be too expensive to be worth it
Budget (phone/plan): less than $100/month would be ideal
Features I know I want: 100 texts/month, less than one hour of talk time per month, data. My emmployer also offers a discount for AT&T plans.

EDIT: Okay, all of AT&T's plans, at least judging by the corporate discount website, seem twice as expensive as the goon plan in the TMO thread.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 14, 2015

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Where in Texas? Because it's a big place but also has several big cities. T-Mo is usually good if you're in a city, or driving on a major highway, but then quickly goes to poo poo as soon as you take an exit to the middle of nowhere.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I live in a suburb north of Houston Texas. That's too bad about coverage going to poo poo because I like roadtrips, but I honestly don't know if I'll ever have another 7-day interstate adventure so maybe that wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Even with my 13% corporate discount, the AT&T plans seem horribly expensive. I'm considering walking into the store tomorrow to see if there's something I'm not understanding about their website.

EDIT: This TMO coverage map is pretty horrible. :(

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 14, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not quite as cheap as the T-Mo plan, but also check out Cricket Wireless's plans. They're owned by AT&T and use their towers and are cheaper than AT&T post-paid.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I decided to test my Nexus 4's ability to withstand pavement and confirmed that, like my previous one, any minor crack in the screen fucks the digitizer completely.

Country/Provider: USA, T-Mobile
Current contract status: prepaid
Budget (phone/plan): <$500 unlocked/off plan
Features I know I want: about the same size (4.7") or smaller. More battery life is more better. Vanilla Android.

Moto X looks like my best bet, but is there anything else I should look at?

Alternately, just get a new N4, but having 4G LTE support would be nice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

legsarerequired posted:

I live in a suburb north of Houston Texas. That's too bad about coverage going to poo poo because I like roadtrips, but I honestly don't know if I'll ever have another 7-day interstate adventure so maybe that wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Even with my 13% corporate discount, the AT&T plans seem horribly expensive. I'm considering walking into the store tomorrow to see if there's something I'm not understanding about their website.

EDIT: This TMO coverage map is pretty horrible. :(

How much data do you need? ATT has a go phone plan for $45 a month for call, text and 1.5GB of data (2G speeds after that). Also, check cricket, they are owned by ATT and use ATT towers at this point.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

annapacketstormaya posted:

I decided to test my Nexus 4's ability to withstand pavement and confirmed that, like my previous one, any minor crack in the screen fucks the digitizer completely.

Country/Provider: USA, T-Mobile
Current contract status: prepaid
Budget (phone/plan): <$500 unlocked/off plan
Features I know I want: about the same size (4.7") or smaller. More battery life is more better. Vanilla Android.

Moto X looks like my best bet, but is there anything else I should look at?

Alternately, just get a new N4, but having 4G LTE support would be nice.

From looking at this stuff recently myself, the Moto X from 2013 is pretty much as close as you'll get to that. The only phone that's a) ~4.7" and b) has really good battery life is the Sony Z3 Compact (maybe z1 compact too), but it's not vanilla Android. AFAIK, outside of Nexus, Motorola is the only other vanilla android option...but Sony does have the best battery life. Oh, and a pretty huge range of LTE bands. You get one or the other it seems.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

clockworkjoe posted:

A friend broke his android phone and needs a replacement - he wants something $300 or less, sturdy, with a decent camera. I think he' uses ATT.

Galaxy S4

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

legsarerequired posted:

I'm about to get off my parents' Verizon plan. The geek plan in the TMO thread seems like it would work for me, but I keep hearing horror stories about TMO's coverage.

Country/Provider: USA, Texas specifically
Current contract status: currently month-to-month on Verizon, have been warned that this will be too expensive to be worth it
Budget (phone/plan): less than $100/month would be ideal
Features I know I want: 100 texts/month, less than one hour of talk time per month, data. My emmployer also offers a discount for AT&T plans.

EDIT: Okay, all of AT&T's plans, at least judging by the corporate discount website, seem twice as expensive as the goon plan in the TMO thread.

You can always just try out T-Mobile's coverage: http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Gammon posted:

From looking at this stuff recently myself, the Moto X from 2013 is pretty much as close as you'll get to that. The only phone that's a) ~4.7" and b) has really good battery life is the Sony Z3 Compact (maybe z1 compact too), but it's not vanilla Android. AFAIK, outside of Nexus, Motorola is the only other vanilla android option...but Sony does have the best battery life. Oh, and a pretty huge range of LTE bands. You get one or the other it seems.

Motorola is not "vanilla Android" only the Nexus phones are.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

Neither are Nexus phones because they come preinstalled with Google Play Services and various other closed-source apps.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Desk Lamp posted:

Motorola phones are vanilla android in all but name and like, two features currently. To say otherwise is just nitpicking.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yeah I'm not 100% sure what that comment meant. Vanilla android= only 100% open source? Does such a phone even exist?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah I'm not 100% sure what that comment meant. Vanilla android= only 100% open source? Does such a phone even exist?
"Vanilla Android" is meaningless, so saying only Nexus phones are "vanilla Android" is similarly meaningless unless you're using a definition of "like a Nexus" in which case you're just being tautological which doesn't help anyone. I was just being obnoxious. Motos are so close to Nexus phones that it's not very helpful to tell someone they're not "vanilla Android."

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
You could include GPE and Android One devices.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I've been with Verizon for a million bazillion years (so long I'm still on their unlimited data), but my phone is old and limping and wheezing along but for various reasons I haven't been able to upgrade even though I'm sure it would actually lower my bill.

Country/Provider: US

Current contract status: out of contract (month-to-month), I can go anywhere.

Budget (phone/plan): I don't mind being on a contract or financing the phone, I just don't want to pay more than say ~$200 upfront. I would love something around $50/month, but I don't think those plans exist except from cut-rate carriers, right?

Features I know I want: I don't really make a whole lot of calls or texts anymore, but you never know, so unlimited texts would be safe, and since I'm looking for a new phone, a hefty-to-unlimited amount of data would be best. My current phone is a Droid 4, something similar but jazzed up would be nice, although from my last bit of research a few months back, no one seems to like physical keyboards anymore (you bastards!). If there is a better carrier to be recommended, I am open to switching, although I do currently get a 15% discount through my job.
It seems like maybe the LG G4 might be up my alley, but I don't know. Whatever recommendations I get I'm going to have to go to a physical store and play around with for a while.
If there is any sort of plan that combos a tablet and a phone for a discount, I might be interested in finally getting an ipad while I'm at it, but I don't think they normally do things like that?
Looking at the verizon site, it seems like edge is probably the way to go, but please correct me if I'm wrong (actually, about any assumptions I've made!)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Like the person above, I have been with verizon for a long time, would have the easiest time staying with them and would like to. My account has tons of benefits to make stuff cheaper etc etc. Unfortunately, my phone has recently started taking a nose dive - it doesn't charge properly a lot of the time, it regularly freezes up after phonecalls and has to be restarted using the hard restart, it's just dying sadly.

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: out of contract (want to stay)

Budget (phone/plan): Have a pretty high budget for it, was looking at the Galaxy S6 until I read up about how it was viewed.

Features I know I want: I do a lot of reading on my phone, so a good battery life is a must have - there's nothing worse than being halfway through a nice book and having to charge it. I also, obviously, browse the internet a lot. Something sturdy is a must have - I can't have something that will break if I drop it once, every single time. My current phone (Droid Razr HD) has been dropped probably 10+ times over the course of my nearly 3 years of owning it, and has never cracked its screen or broken. Waterproofing isn't a must have, but would be preferred, as sometimes the work I will be doing could get me very soaked very suddenly. I was nearly talked into buying the Samsung Galaxy S6, but everything I read said it was fragile and horrible.

I'd love something that had enough RAM to actually look at the internet, keep skype open, run IRC, etc without constantly pingponging which one is crashing and which one isn't. I guess being able to play games is a plus, but allI really play is like Kairosoft stuff, so I doubt those are really intensive.

I'd prefer to not have an Apple phone, everything I hear about them makes them sound fragile and horrible.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Desk Lamp posted:

The Droid Turbo and the Galaxy Note 4 are the top choices in the Android, large screen, and durable battery life on Verizon category. Can't go wrong with either one, the Turbo is a little more compact and the Note has one of the best cameras on a phone. Go play with both at a store and take your pick.

I grabbed a Note. Thanks for your help!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

KittyEmpress posted:

Like the person above, I have been with verizon for a long time, would have the easiest time staying with them and would like to. My account has tons of benefits to make stuff cheaper etc etc. Unfortunately, my phone has recently started taking a nose dive - it doesn't charge properly a lot of the time, it regularly freezes up after phonecalls and has to be restarted using the hard restart, it's just dying sadly.

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: out of contract (want to stay)

Budget (phone/plan): Have a pretty high budget for it, was looking at the Galaxy S6 until I read up about how it was viewed.

Features I know I want: I do a lot of reading on my phone, so a good battery life is a must have - there's nothing worse than being halfway through a nice book and having to charge it. I also, obviously, browse the internet a lot. Something sturdy is a must have - I can't have something that will break if I drop it once, every single time. My current phone (Droid Razr HD) has been dropped probably 10+ times over the course of my nearly 3 years of owning it, and has never cracked its screen or broken. Waterproofing isn't a must have, but would be preferred, as sometimes the work I will be doing could get me very soaked very suddenly. I was nearly talked into buying the Samsung Galaxy S6, but everything I read said it was fragile and horrible.

I'd love something that had enough RAM to actually look at the internet, keep skype open, run IRC, etc without constantly pingponging which one is crashing and which one isn't. I guess being able to play games is a plus, but allI really play is like Kairosoft stuff, so I doubt those are really intensive.

I'd prefer to not have an Apple phone, everything I hear about them makes them sound fragile and horrible.

Especially if you almost bought an S6, it sounds like an s6 active would be up your alley: bigger battery then an s6 for reading, sturdier then an s6 etc. Read some reviews first of course, i think it's too new to have goon hands-on reviews.

Edit: just saw you were on Verizon. S6 active is at&t only, maybe Verizon will get an active variant of some kind?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
So this might be an odd recommendation. I'm looking for more or less a dumb phone that has wifi hotspot/tethering capabilities.

I want to experiment going back to a non-smart phone for a little bit but have the capability to allow my tablet to tether to it.

Do these even exist? I'm in Cricket/ATT if it matters.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Country/Provider: USA-Omaha, NE (Sprint, Cricket, and Boost Mobile are local providers from what I know)

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): Willing to save and spend up to $400 for a phone, and less than $100 a month.

Features I know I want: I've never had a cell phone other than a really old flip phone years ago, and the impetus for getting one now is my job is sending me out to the boonies now and again, and I'd like something in case my car breaks down or there's an emergency. So GPS is essential, but other than that just the ability to listen to music on long drives?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Country/Provider: USA-Omaha, NE (Sprint, Cricket, and Boost Mobile are local providers from what I know)

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): Willing to save and spend up to $400 for a phone, and less than $100 a month.

Features I know I want: I've never had a cell phone other than a really old flip phone years ago, and the impetus for getting one now is my job is sending me out to the boonies now and again, and I'd like something in case my car breaks down or there's an emergency. So GPS is essential, but other than that just the ability to listen to music on long drives?

Cricket with a bunch of data and maybe a 2014 Moto X would be my recommendation.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poxin posted:

So this might be an odd recommendation. I'm looking for more or less a dumb phone that has wifi hotspot/tethering capabilities.

I want to experiment going back to a non-smart phone for a little bit but have the capability to allow my tablet to tether to it.

Do these even exist? I'm in Cricket/ATT if it matters.

This does not exist, sorry.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. I'm looking for a new, modern smart phone. I lost my Nexus 5 and don't need a new phone until September, so I can wait until something cool comes out between now and then.

Country/Provider: Needs to be an open, unlocked phone that uses a SIM slot, and that I can order online.

Current contract status: No contract.

Budget (phone/plan): Anything reasonable.

Features I know I want:
Well-designed, not Apple. Ubuntu would be fun, but I'm not counting on a decent one coming out by Sept.

Ideally both fast/high-res and compact. This was a no-go two years ago except for with Apple. I won't be too disappointed if it's still true.

I'd use it for calling/texting, occasional web-browsing, GPS, audio-books, and a few utility third-party apps like a tuner, Spotify, Tinder etc.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 24, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. I'm looking for a new, modern smart phone. I lost my Nexus 5 and don't need a new phone until September, so I can wait until something cool comes out between now and then.

Country/Provider: Needs to be an open, unlocked phone that uses a SIM slot, and that I can order online.

Current contract status: No contract.

Budget (phone/plan): Anything reasonable.

Features I know I want:
Well-designed, not Apple. Ubuntu would be fun, but I'm not counting on a decent one coming out by Sept.

Ideally both fast/high-res and compact. This was a no-go two years ago except for with Apple. I won't be too disappointed if it's still true.

I'd use it for calling/texting, occasional web-browsing, GPS, audio-books, and a few utility third-party apps like a tuner, Spotify, Tinder etc.

Where are you at in the world and what kind of $ are you looking at? Also are you just using this phone until September?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

Where are you at in the world and what kind of $ are you looking at? Also are you just using this phone until September?
UK for a year, then US. I'd probably buy the phone from a US online store, since I have APO shipping, and most things are cheaper from the US. I need the phone after September. I don't need one in the meanwhile. I'll probably use a GiffGaff sim card. I'm flexible on the price, but hopefully NTE $500 USD. I just read the wirecutter article on Android phones, and the one they recommend's $850; not paying that much. I'd probably go for a Nexus 6 if it were half the size.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 24, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Dominoes posted:

UK for a year, then US. I'd probably buy the phone from a US online store, since I have APO shipping, and most things are cheaper from the US. I need the phone after September. I don't need one in the meanwhile. I'll probably use a GiffGaff sim card. The price will depend on what I'm getting. Hopefully not more than $500 USD. I'd probably go for a Nexus 6 if it were half the size.

Hmm you may want to wait until September just in case anything new is announced (like a smaller Nexus 5) but AFAIK if you are looking now, the Z3 compact is about the only thing that fits the bill. I guess a Moto x may as well, depends on how small you want to go :)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks dude. I agree on waiting; probably not going to buy anything until Sept; testing the waters now so I have a good idea when it's time. At a glance, something like the Z3 compact looks like what I'm after. Something like it didn't exist two years ago. Good sign.

Love your username btw.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 24, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Dominoes posted:

Thanks dude. I agree on waiting; probably not going to buy anything until Sept; testing the waters now so I have a good idea when it's time. At a glance, something like the Z3 compact looks like what I'm after. Something like it didn't exist two years ago. Good sign.

Love your username btw.

Thanks! I picked up a 2013 moto x and loved it, but I ended up going with a bigger phone. You should love the z3c, I think every goon that has it loves it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Dominoes posted:

Love your username btw.

The latest and greatest non Apple coming around September are the new Moto X and the Note 5. If the rumored specs on the Moto X turn out to be real then that's your best bet.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Country/Provider: USA - Boston - Tmobile

Current contract status: I have t-mobile month-to-month unlimited plan

Budget (phone/plan): Hoping to stay under $300

Features I know I want: Basically I've only ever owned iPhones since the 3gs came out but my current iPhone 5 has its battery dying on me rather quickly. I only really use my phone for forum browsing, social media, and pandora/music. I was looking at windows phones because I have never really experienced them. I've played around with friends androids phones and I remember not liking them but this was like 3 years ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Country/Provider: USA - Boston - Tmobile

Current contract status: I have t-mobile month-to-month unlimited plan

Budget (phone/plan): Hoping to stay under $300

Features I know I want: Basically I've only ever owned iPhones since the 3gs came out but my current iPhone 5 has its battery dying on me rather quickly. I only really use my phone for forum browsing, social media, and pandora/music. I was looking at windows phones because I have never really experienced them. I've played around with friends androids phones and I remember not liking them but this was like 3 years ago.

I think the 2014 Moto X would be a solid choice in that price range.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Quite possibly the best choice.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I forgot some details:

Needs to have a decent battery life. I do a lot of cycling and use my phone for music and to check maps of where I am. Also the camera has to be at least on par with the iphone 5 since I take a lot of photos while out cycling.

LastInLine posted:

Going to do some research on this.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I forgot some details:

Needs to have a decent battery life. I do a lot of cycling and use my phone for music and to check maps of where I am. Also the camera has to be at least on par with the iphone 5 since I take a lot of photos while out cycling.

Going to do some research on this.

For that price range, Moto X 2014 really is your best bet. Neither the battery nor the camera are great, but given your budget it's still the top choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

What if my budget goes up to $400?