Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Greyish Orange posted:

Are Zendikar full art lands valid at any point, or do they rotate with the regular sets?

You can use any basic land in any format. Even draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Greyish Orange posted:

Are Zendikar full art lands valid at any point, or do they rotate with the regular sets?

You can use any version of a card if the card (by English name) is legal.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I think Narset's problem is that you really need to be in control of the board the turn she comes down and she's in the worst colors to do that. Then I feel like all she is really good for is card draw unless you're running a third color and can start flashing back burn or kill spells and at that point your deck is probably too diluted. Basically she's just not efficient enough for standard. There are too many value creatures to play any kind of control that isn't just full of removal and ways to dig for more removal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
She's great to have around but doesn't haven enough immediate impact that you're willing to take a whole turn off to resolve her.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rinkles posted:

What a sick gently caress

(Suspension Field x 2, Ghostly Prison x 2, Runed Halo x 2 (naming Snapcer and Deciever) + one on the stack turn after Keranos resolved)

Remand it
Snapcaster remand it again
Watch helplessly as your opponent casts it a third time because your deck doesn't actually play any hard counters :vd:

e: I mean okay there could be some Cryptics or Counterfluxes somewhere in that 75, I don't know

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
If you have a Runed Halo in play naming Keranos and the Twin player has a Keranos in play and no creatures are in play, doesn't the twin player have to bolt himself with Keranos on a nonland flip?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zoness posted:

If you have a Runed Halo in play naming Keranos and the Twin player has a Keranos in play and no creatures are in play, doesn't the twin player have to bolt himself with Keranos on a nonland flip?

You should have to.

quote:

Reveal the first card you draw on each of your turns. Whenever you reveal a land card this way, draw a card. Whenever you reveal a nonland card this way, Keranos deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

quote:

As Runed Halo enters the battlefield, name a card.

You have protection from the chosen name. (You can't be targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything with that name.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoness posted:

This happened.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Man that even dodges the Commandeer Tech since if you name Runed Halo it falls off on its own.

E: man why isn't Runed Halo an enchant player.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 11, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zoness posted:

Man that even dodges the Commandeer Tech since if you name Runed Halo it falls off on its own.

OK you Commandeer it and now you have a Runed Halo giving you protection from cards named Runed Halo.

It's a regular Enchantment not an Aura with Enchant Player.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

OK you Commandeer it and now you have a Runed Halo giving you protection from cards named Runed Halo.

It's a regular enchantment not an Aura with Enchant Player.

Man that ruins all my plans to put commandeer into twin.

Okay on second thought commandeer it naming Keranos so you can't bolt yourself :getin:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

It's seems tailor made to beat twin (and little else?)

That actually looks like a pretty standard build, and while Twin is actually one of it's better matchups (being as much of a control/tempo deck as a combo), you're right in assuming it fares poorly against any deck that can pull out a win turn 3 or doesn't really use the board to win (so Burn, Infect, Storm, Amulet Bloom, Tron if only because it doesn't care about paying Prison costs, etc.) I ground out a really long few games against some idiot aspie kid who borrowed it the other night, and while by all rights he should have probably 2-1'd my Merfolk deck because it is a really bad matchup for me and my draws were awful, he forgot Porphyry Node triggers every single time so the third game drew to time when he had 1 life left
:ughh:

I still won the tournament, and I don't feel nearly as bad as I do for the Norin Sisters player he went against next.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 11, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I really want Commandeer to be a card people play sometime.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Narset is amazing, and playing the Omnarscience deck in modern is a bigger rush than opening Alpha boosters. I ran that bad boy in a casual tourney last night and turn 1 KO'd more times than I deserved to.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Greyish Orange posted:

Any version of a card that is legal in a format can be played in that format.

So you can play Invasion block Chromatic Spheres in Modern Tron, etc.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
They really need to make more old frame promos/reprints.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

It goes great in my Commandeer deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Commandeer is one of the only ways to protect your Hidetsugu's Second Rite combo

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Bugsy posted:

They really need to make more old frame promos/reprints.

Yeah. To be honest, I wish they'd do something different for all Promo cards. Full art textless was a terrible idea (especially on stuff like Cryptic com), but doing something like FNM promos as either old border or game day style full art would be a nice way to make them a little more different than just alternate art foil.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Full art textless is awesome on iconic cards but it is dumb as hell on Cryptic Command.

I had an embarassing moment when I played Storm after having not had played the game for 3 years and had to judge call myself on my textless ponders to remember how it worked.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sigma-X posted:

Full art textless is awesome on iconic cards but it is dumb as hell on Cryptic Command.

This is the worst opinion in a thread full of bad opinions. You can just make up a new mode every time.

Sigma-X posted:

I had an embarassing moment when I played Storm after having not had played the game for 3 years and had to judge call myself on my textless ponders to remember how it worked.

I did this the first time I played legacy. I just asked my opponent though.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

You can just make up a new mode every time.

Choose two:
I win
You lose
Checkbox

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there any way to fix the MTGO bug where colorless non-land non-artifacts all have their normal-sized art stretched out to full-art size? Or is it just one of those "that's how MTGO rolls, deal with it" things?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is exactly why you don't play with fullart promos. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

I love my full art textless Harmonize because if you can't remember what it does you probably don't have the memory capacity for MtG anyways.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

I love my full art textless Harmonize because if you can't remember what it does you probably don't have the memory capacity for MtG anyways.

Are there decks that even run Harmonize?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

This is how every colorless non-artifact card rolls, though. That was a pack Ulamog's Crusher he linked :smugbert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Textless versions of cards that are a) familiar and b) not complex every time (Cryptic for example), are awesome. Textless Brainstorm for example, would be a treat, since it's a Legacy staple, and beyond the first or second time you read it, that's it, done. Draw 3, put 2 back.

Also, old-frame versions are similarly awesome. Love my old-frame Sword, wish I had an old-frame Bob.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Count Bleck posted:

Is there a database out there that you can view all the full art cards over the last couple years. At my LGS going through a box I found a full art Latch Seeker and then a fullart Trostani's Summoner and I am curious to find other cards like those.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Is there a database out there that you can view all the full art cards over the last couple years. At my LGS going through a box I found a full art Latch Seeker and then a fullart Trostani's Summoner and I am curious to find other cards like those.
MTG Salvation splits them into full art cards and textless cards. I'm not sure if this is a complete list, but, it has a lot of them.
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Full-art
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Textless

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Malgrin posted:

MTG Salvation splits them into full art cards and textless cards. I'm not sure if this is a complete list, but, it has a lot of them.
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Full-art
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Textless

Reciprocate is the weirdest poo poo to have as a textless reward. I'm sure 99% of magic players would have less trouble with textless Cryptic than textless Reciprocate. Good thing the solution is the same as the problem (nobody plays it, ever.)

Looking over the rest of the list, Treasure Hunt is a distant second in the "what?" category, and I'm pretty sure Cryptic comes up with a bronze medal at best.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Reciprocate is the weirdest poo poo to have as a textless reward. I'm sure 99% of magic players would have less trouble with textless Cryptic than textless Reciprocate. Good thing the solution is the same as the problem (nobody plays it, ever.)

Looking over the rest of the list, Treasure Hunt is a distant second in the "what?" category, and I'm pretty sure Cryptic comes up with a bronze medal at best.

Yeah, I actually have a textless Cryptic, but fortunately, EVERYONE knows exactly what that card does. I'm actually thinking about trading it in for a regular CC from one of the MMs plus some other good stuff. I actually prefer non foil cards.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

I run 4 in a monogreen deck packed with not-typically-green effects. So I have that, uktabi drake, unyaro bee sting, etc. in there. It's a silly casual thing but it's fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

Its run in almost every green EDH deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Malgrin posted:

I actually prefer non foil cards.

Finally someone gets it. I think the only time I don't prefer nonfoil over foils is when the art on the foil is different and better.

For example, Frost Walker.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I placed an order for a few cards on TCGPlayer recently, and one of the retailers who filled the order sent me a foil card instead of nonfoil. I was sad. :(

(Already traded it for the nonfoil version with a friend. I hate foils.)

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Finally someone gets it. I think the only time I don't prefer nonfoil over foils is when the art on the foil is different and better.

For example, Frost Walker.

Yeah, I only use foil cards when it's a supply issue, because in tournament settings, mixing foils and non foils can be a problem, and I really don't see the huge appeal of foils, other than their rareness. Every now and then there's better alternate art, but, that's pretty uncommon.

That said:

I wish I could just get a non-foil textless cryptic command.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Man, would you guys hate my decks.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Man, would you guys hate my decks.

My goal in any game is to blind my opponent so he can't see that I'm drawing extra cards per turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sigma-X posted:

It was a one-of in Dralnu de Lourve since you could Mystical Teachings for it.

• Locked thread