Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ozz81 posted:

Either the upper left or lower right needs to be Renegret's new "real tired of your bullshit" avatar

While I appreciate the sentiment, I already have my newest AV lined up.

I don't know either but it made me laugh. I just need a custom title to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Volmarias posted:

Does he still work for you? If so, why?

From about 700 pages ago but no, he was let go at the beginning of the year and I was "promoted" into his Unix admin role (promoted in quotes because I didn't get an increase to anything except more duties). Our HMC is fixed. IBM sent out a dude last Monday to look at it and right upon booting he said 'yup, network doesn't work, system board needs replacing' and came back the next day to replace it.

The week before I was able to get the old console up and working which was actually fun so we did get backups and now I know how to do stuff with the HMC.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Nerdrock posted:

"Thine printer is not mission-critical. There exists many printers."

Needs more begats and at least one verily.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Renegret posted:

I don't know either but it made me laugh. I just need a custom title to go with it.

"I am the great Dog-holio! I need tickets for my mustachio! It is fantastico, my mustachio!"

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Renegret posted:

Hola! Si, this is help perro. How may I help yo-*mariachi music plays*

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

Ticket update: I ignored this until I had nothing better to do this afternoon. Actually did a little bit of sleuthing rather than take the easy way out. What do I find?

Practically ten gigs of this poo poo. How does this happen? Who the gently caress is using Firefox so goddamn much on a file server??

[edit]

Yeah, gonna cancel this and do rmdir /s/q instead.
uh.... I think you were onto something with that chkdsk you wanted to do.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

The Nards Pan posted:

Hola! Si, this is help perro. How may I help yo-*mariachi music plays*

I fully support this.

Anyways, users not reporting issues to IT is maybe my biggest pet peeve since I started working in IT 9 months ago.

:v: "Oh by the way process X failed last night but we just bypassed it and now our sales information is all incorrect for the day."
:cripes: So instead of me doing 5 minutes of work last night to fix the problem when it happened if you had just called me, now I'm spending the better part of an hour figuring out what went wrong on my own and then backing the incorrect information out of our servers and importing the correct information.

:v: "Hey we keep having to unplug the keyboard because it stops responding. It's been doing this for weeks."
:cripes: Call me when it happens so I can troubleshoot the issue with you on-site and we can resolve it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Renegret posted:

I love this one too, always gets a giggle out of me :)

The Nards Pan posted:

Hola! Me llamo apoyo perro. ¿Puedo ayu-*mariachi music plays*

There we go (may not be perfect, had to do some searching) - make the *mariachi music* link to the Mexican Hat Dance trumpet song

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 11, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A HIGH PRIORITY ticket came in.

I set ticket submissions to include a selection for users to choose the priority of their requests. Low is a minor nuisance, medium affects your ability to work, and high prevents you from doing any work and needs attention immediately.

I get this early this morning:

Subject: Office too cold
Comment: i am too cold. Please turn up the thermostat.
Priority: High (Prevents you from doing any work)

She is allowed to change the thermostat. It's within arm's reach of her while she is sitting at her desk. I have no idea why she submitted this.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

larchesdanrew posted:

I set ticket submissions to include a selection for users to choose the priority of their requests. Low is a minor nuisance, medium affects your ability to work, and high prevents you from doing any work and needs attention immediately.

She is allowed to change the thermostat. It's within arm's reach of her while she is sitting at her desk. I have no idea why she submitted this.

Thus is the burden of all ticket systems, to have priority systems ignored and abused.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

larchesdanrew posted:

She probably changed it already and someone else put it back. But if she gets IT to set it, then it's "official" and she can tell others not to touch it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

"Called 911, if user is too cold to work they are likely experiencing symptoms of severe hypothermia and should seek immediate medical attention. Recommend user place hot water bottles under their armpits to help fight off hypothermia until EMTs arrive to assist. Ticket closed."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Adjunct to the 10 Commandments - we need a Latin motto.

Et Iterum Retro Vertunt
Futete Imprimos
Aperi Tessera
Placere Abdicáta

Anyone wanna put together a coat of arms or some kind of sigil?

Printerum delenda est.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

:yotj:! Instant offer after interview, reachable via Chicago public transit (train), salary jump and better politics! Goodbye, poo poo rear end giant corp, hello new corp.

:yotj: :respek: :yotj:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Man you should be psyched. You can close that ticket with a note of "out of scope" and you get a high priority ticket closed within minutes/hours of it being submitted, making you look like a badass.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

larchesdanrew posted:

Solution "Advised user that my heart bleeds for her, it truly does. Entered requisition for small violin."

Edit:
Here's a good and surreal one from when I worked at Irritable Bowel Movements.

I didn't work for them, I was a contractor going through a local company, IBM further contracted out my time to another company (whose name we're all saying wrong. It's Nock-ya!) that makes cell phones
It is about 3 AM and I get a call from the Brazilian manufacturing plant. 2 of their five production lines are down due to computer issues. This is a serious issue and is costing multiple million dollars
in lost production ( The powers that be claimed each line produced 1 million dollars worth of cell phones a minute, though I have no idea ) I get all the information for the local support group, including the location
of the control computers (Upper mezzanine, back corner).

At the time I had to call the Network Operations Centre (located in Singapore) and give them the ticket details since it was severity 1. They seemed to understand what was going on and I wished them luck.

Three hours later the plant manager in Brazil calls me and asks where the onsite tech was. Given the 4 hour response time for sev 1 tickets it seemed really weird that nobody had shown up. I checked the ticket.
The NOC people had entered some notes, assigned the ticket back to the general help desk (which didn't notify me in any way) and reduced it to severity 3 ( a big no no, severity 1 tickets were not supposed to be lowered). Their notes were "What is a mezzanine? Have the user try to reboot his PC. More troubleshooting is required."
I explained this to the plant manager and he starts swearing in Spanish and Portuguese. I tell him I'm going go straighten out the NOC people post haste.

I call them back and they insist that the user needs to reboot his PC. I explained this wasn't a personal computer, big a big industrial control system and the end users were explicitly not allowed to touch it. I then explained what a mezzanine was.

Ouroborus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For the thermostat question, as dumb as it sounds, it's a ticket that has to be managed carefully, especially for a new system to establish expectations.

The ticket system is not the complaints department. It is a place to resolve technical problems with equipment.

First, is this actually in your purview? Like, if the thermostat was broken would you be the one to replace it?

If so, I might verify that the thermostat and climate system is actually working using a temperature gun and document it.

Follow up with the user to let them know that the thermostat is working correctly and ask them if there are specific circumstances that it's not working right.

Maybe have them show you the problem.

The goal here is to get them to say "The thermostat works fine, but Jerry keeps turning it down and..."

At which point you can let the user know that since the equipment is working fine you can't provide any more assistance.

Ticket resolution:
Tested thermostat: No problems found
User confirmed that thermostat is fully functional.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have stats all over the drat place but none are hooked up to anything. They are just so employees can feel like they control the temp in their area.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For the thermostat question, as dumb as it sounds, it's a ticket that has to be managed carefully, especially for a new system to establish expectations.

The ticket system is not the complaints department. It is a place to resolve technical problems with equipment.

First, is this actually in your purview? Like, if the thermostat was broken would you be the one to replace it?

If so, I might verify that the thermostat and climate system is actually working using a temperature gun and document it.

Follow up with the user to let them know that the thermostat is working correctly and ask them if there are specific circumstances that it's not working right.

Maybe have them show you the problem.

The goal here is to get them to say "The thermostat works fine, but Jerry keeps turning it down and..."

At which point you can let the user know that since the equipment is working fine you can't provide any more assistance.

Ticket resolution:
Tested thermostat: No problems found
User confirmed that thermostat is fully functional.

This is probably the most concise, accurate, on-point-perfect description of a ticketing system I have ever read in my 40 years of being a reader.

This is getting cut/pasted into a framed thing on my wall.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
One of my small clients built a new office about 2 years ago, two thermostats, one for each side of the office. Except the thermostat on the 'busy' side of the office doesn't work. Its just for show. The second thermostat(in the owners office) controls the whole building. I couldnt stop laughing when he told me this. Only he, his ops manager and myself know this. The rest just argue endlessly about the temp and keep punching it higher or lower and feel 'better' in a few minutes. It really is hilarious to watch.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Was anyone else bitten by the Google Apps for ISP retirement this week?

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

go3 posted:

One of my small clients built a new office about 2 years ago, two thermostats, one for each side of the office. Except the thermostat on the 'busy' side of the office doesn't work. Its just for show. The second thermostat(in the owners office) controls the whole building. I couldnt stop laughing when he told me this. Only he, his ops manager and myself know this. The rest just argue endlessly about the temp and keep punching it higher or lower and feel 'better' in a few minutes. It really is hilarious to watch.

We have a weird problem where the part of the office we're letting to another company has a thermostat and so does ours, and their stat somehow overrides ours. It's very annoying, especially since the last company that used that area had it ridiculously hot 24/7.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

go3 posted:

I've heard a few people (here and in the real world) say that office harmony can be restored by disconnecting the internals of a thermostat.

Hell, why not go the whole hog and give everyone a placebo thermostat?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I applied for a job. At a financial institution. That works closely with the government and military.

How hosed am I? :ohdear:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

I applied for a job. At a financial institution. That works closely with the government and military.

How hosed am I? :ohdear:

You're fine, just don't expect things to move too fast, and cross your Ts and dot your Is.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

spog posted:

I've heard a few people (here and in the real world) say that office harmony can be restored by disconnecting the internals of a thermostat.

Hell, why not go the whole hog and give everyone a placebo thermostat?

I've done this. Just stick a thermostat cover on the wall somewhere with double sided foam tape and bask in the hilarity.
Eventually someone brought in a thermometer and my ruse was up.
There were riots when one of the ladies pulled the cover off to "see if she could fix it"
I lasted about another 2 months in that company before I was politely asked to leave.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've done this. Just stick a thermostat cover on the wall somewhere with double sided foam tape and bask in the hilarity.
Eventually someone brought in a thermometer and my ruse was up.
There were riots when one of the ladies pulled the cover off to "see if she could fix it"
I lasted about another 2 months in that company before I was politely asked to leave.

At a prior employer they were building a brand new building and some of IT was in there working on the weekend prior to the move. The HVAC guy was there and was giving us an overview of the system and how it's controlled. At one point he mentioned that all of the thermostats in the main area were either dummy thermometers that just showed the current temp and adjusting would do nothing or, even more genius, dummy thermometers behind a clear plastic lock box. He explained that this poo poo comes up all the time, people will catch wise to the dummy ones quickly but the ones behind plastic never get found out. Pretty clever I thought.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

At a prior employer they were building a brand new building and some of IT was in there working on the weekend prior to the move. The HVAC guy was there and was giving us an overview of the system and how it's controlled. At one point he mentioned that all of the thermostats in the main area were either dummy thermometers that just showed the current temp and adjusting would do nothing or, even more genius, dummy thermometers behind a clear plastic lock box. He explained that this poo poo comes up all the time, people will catch wise to the dummy ones quickly but the ones behind plastic never get found out. Pretty clever I thought.

Our work floor is one massive two level room. We have thermostats all over the place, but they can't adjust the local output more than ±5 degrees meaning they're mostly useless and everyone understands this.

They do have a button we can press that will turn on the hvac if we come in on the weekends or after six, though, so they're pretty good for that.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Well I feel sheepish. Turns out the thermostat was broken. I walked in this morning to look at it and the screen is just displaying garbled gibberish and the handler won't cycle off. It's absolutely freezing in there and it's a wonder the whole thing hasn't frozen up. I manually shut off the handler and now they're complaining that it's too hot. My options are to tell them to suck it up or keep going up there every 20 minutes to cycle the handler on and off.

Our HVAC guy is on a cruise this week and management won't entertain the idea of using someone else.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

kensei posted:

Was anyone else bitten by the Google Apps for ISP retirement this week?

No? They were emailing head's up that they'll be changing their APP for the last 3+ months and some of my apps will stop working.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Well I feel sheepish. Turns out the thermostat was broken. I walked in this morning to look at it and the screen is just displaying garbled gibberish and the handler won't cycle off.

This is exactly why I made the post that I made. It's one of the rules of the universe that the one time you make a snarky comment or something, it'll bite you in the rear end with a vengeance. Mute buttons on phones work along similar principles.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

WaffleLove posted:

No? They were emailing head's up that they'll be changing their APP for the last 3+ months and some of my apps will stop working.

Our point of contact with Google retired years ago and a while back someone (not me) deleted his alias from forwarding any more. Welp.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

kensei posted:

Our point of contact with Google retired years ago and a while back someone (not me) deleted his alias from forwarding any more. Welp.

That would do it. They started warning in about Jan that they're turning off certain things. I hadn't even touched the app since my basic programming stuff in college(was to learn how, then I learned I wasn't a programmer), I forget what all they changed but this site may give you some help. http://whatsnew.googleapps.com/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is exactly why I made the post that I made. It's one of the rules of the universe that the one time you make a snarky comment or something, it'll bite you in the rear end with a vengeance. Mute buttons on phones work along similar principles.

And now they probably expect him to fix it because he didn't goon on her :-(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

WaffleLove posted:

They also put up alerts on their admin page about it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
A Ticket came in!

"Please terminate all access for [crazy] immediately."

[crazy] is an hr person hired this year who has done a good job of earning that title. Hell, our office manager (who has far more contact with [crazy] than I do, outright refers to that person by that label.
So...win.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ilkhan posted:

A Ticket came in!

"Please terminate all access for [crazy] immediately."

[crazy] is an hr person hired this year who has done a good job of earning that title. Hell, our office manager (who has far more contact with [crazy] than I do, outright refers to that person by that label.
So...win.

We had one of these recently, the person after getting fired kept spamming everybody with various secrets/stories/threats we would block them then they would start a new gmail, etc. It was a very entertaining week.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

socialsecurity posted:

We had one of these recently, the person after getting fired kept spamming everybody with various secrets/stories/threats we would block them then they would start a new gmail, etc. It was a very entertaining week.
This person generated 57 tickets in 3 months.

Literally did not know how to reply to a question without generating a fresh ticket. Incredibly frustrating. Plus the most inane and irrelevant tickets in the first place.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

anthonypants posted:

They also put up alerts on their admin page about it.

Oh so you saw them? Great. That's what I needed to know.

To be clear, I saw the emails about the API being depreciated, but nothing came in about this that I'm aware of. We got our accounts reactivated but now we'll have to migrate away asap.

kensei fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ilkhan posted:

This person generated 57 tickets in 3 months.

Literally did not know how to reply to a question without generating a fresh ticket. Incredibly frustrating. Plus the most inane and irrelevant tickets in the first place.

That's amazingly impressive. I think the "best" comparable ticket stat I had for a user was for passwords, when you divided number of password reset tickets just by the number of months we had helpdesk records for, it came out to over 3 password fuckups per month. For five years.

• Locked thread