Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eriddy posted:

What do you guys mean when you say "point them down"? Are the cops on foot flagging down speeding cars? How does that work?

Yes. they walk out from whatever post they're hiding behind into the middle of the street in front of the speeding vehicle by roughly a football field, point at the driver, and point at the side road where their car is parked.

By the time you see them, they have you. if you don't notice a cop in a bright yellow jacket walking out in front of you a couple hundred feet down the road, you're about to have a really bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yes. they walk out from whatever post they're hiding behind into the middle of the street in front of the speeding vehicle by roughly a football field, point at the driver, and point at the side road where their car is parked.

By the time you see them, they have you. if you don't notice a cop in a bright yellow jacket walking out in front of you a couple hundred feet down the road, you're about to have a really bad day.

Just start speeding up.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are you seriously trying to say there's a car better than the F40?

The F40 isn't even the best Ferrari.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Powershift posted:

I can't be the only one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

well, sometimes they wear hats, but that's pretty much what they look like.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

bull3964 posted:

I remember a news article I read about an all day speeding sting they did on 79 south. that section is either 55 or 65 depending on where you are. They didn't bother pulling anyone over going under 80 mph.

Pretty much all the highways around Chicago are marked 55mph, IIRC. I have no idea what they actually enforce beyond "don't actually kill anyone."

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Jealous Cow posted:

Exceeding 80mph in Virginia is the same level of felony as spousal rape.

So if you get caught going over 80mph you are charged with sexual assault?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IndianaZoidberg posted:

So if you get caught going over 80mph you are charged with sexual assault?

Maybe if you're in a Cronenberg film.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sir Tonk posted:

Maybe if you're in a Cronenberg film.

:golfclap:

I've been passing the time waiting to see if the trio is going to get another gig or not by watching old seasons (about to start season 11 now). The older seasons are much more entertaining, honestly. Comparing them to the later seasons it's obvious when they got told to tone their poo poo down.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 12, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

annapacketstormaya posted:

Pretty much all the highways around Chicago are marked 55mph, IIRC. I have no idea what they actually enforce beyond "don't actually kill anyone."

got pulled on the Kennedy going 80 while being passed. Fuckers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Terrible Robot posted:

I've been passing the time waiting to see if the trio is going to get another gig or not by watching old seasons (about to start season 11 now). The older seasons are much more entertaining, honestly. Comparing them to the later seasons it's obvious when they got told to tone their poo poo down.

Likewise. They also appear to be doing everything from a script now, with much less adlibbing. Which is a shame as they are all quick-witted.

The Argentinian special also looks like they went through it and removed a lot of stuff that might have been offensive - there are no comments on the situation towards the end. Weak sauce when compared to the USA special.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Terrible Robot posted:

:golfclap:

Hammond's crash most likely had a lot to do with that

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
:toot:

https://twitter.com/BBC_TopGear/status/610876317320527872

@BBC_TopGear Big news! Chris Evans will front an all new line-up for the next series of #TopGear. Details: http://bit.ly/ChrisEvansTG

pik_d fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 16, 2015

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

pik_d posted:

:toot:

https://twitter.com/BBC_TopGear/status/610876317320527872

@BBC_TopGear Big news! Chris Evans will front an all new line-up for the next series of #TopGear. Details: http://bit.ly/ChrisEvansTG

Good get, but it's not going to save the program.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RhoA posted:

@rmstitanic great news, now we're allowing life boats to be launched at capacity!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

RhoA posted:

You do realise Top Gear is ancient and has gone through various incarnations in its life. Tbh I am glad its getting a reboot as I had stopped watching it regularly (just watched specials, certain episodes) and hopefully they can make a good motoring program. Chris Evans is about the best choice they could get as well, really well suited to leading a car program - but it will be very different than Clarkson's Top Gear.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lmao all we need now are the women who vaguely like cars and the shirty guardian dream show has come true. It'll get one series.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

ukle posted:

You do realise Top Gear is ancient and has gone through various incarnations in its life. Tbh I am glad its getting a reboot as I had stopped watching it regularly (just watched specials, certain episodes) and hopefully they can make a good motoring program. Chris Evans is about the best choice they could get as well, really well suited to leading a car program - but it will be very different than Clarkson's Top Gear.

I realize that. I just feel that the recent popularity had to do a lot with the trio and their messing about, so I'm not sure that the ratings will ever get back to where they were. I do agree that Chris Evans was the best they could get, so I'm cautiously awaiting to see how it turns out.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Yeah I'm not ready to poo poo all over this, Evans is signed on for a three year deal so we'll at least get three series of whatever they come up with.

BBC Press Office posted:

We're announcing today that Chris Evans has signed a three-year deal to lead an all-new Top Gear line-up.

Chris Evans says: "Im thrilled, Top Gear is my favourite programme of all time. Created by a host of brilliant minds who love cars and understand how to make the massively complicated come across as fun, devil-may-care and effortless. When in fact of course, it's anything but and that's the genius of Top Gear's global success.

I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward."

Kim Shillinglaw, Controller, BBC Two and BBC Four, added: "I am so delighted that Chris will be presenting the next series of Top Gear. His knowledge of and passion for cars are well-known and combined with his sheer inventiveness and cheeky unpredictability he is the perfect choice to take our much-loved show into the future. Chris is a huge fan of Top Gear and has great respect for the craft and work ethic of one of the best production teams in the world. He knows the phenomenal attention to detail it takes to make a single sequence of Top Gear, let alone a whole series. He is already full of brilliant ideas and I can't wait for him to get started."

Production on the new series of Top Gear will start in the next few weeks and more information will be announced in due course.

Top Gear is made by BBC Productions.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I don't like this choice.

I find him too smug and self-confident, to the point of smarminess. I can't imagine him doing anything where he's 'rubbish' at it. which was the charm of the old guys.

Plus, the show is about the interaction of the three mates. Doesn't work if there's only one 'star', plus Sideshow Bob and Tonto.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Chris Evans is terrible and if he is the best they could do it doesn't bode well for whoever else they get to fill out the cast. I'll try to watch it but I highly suspect I'll lose interest even faster than I did in TG USA.

Edit BOLD PREDICTION: he jokingly complains about being forced to drive a Ferrari that isn't WHITE in his first episode and it will consume 100% of his comedy material in the process.

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 16, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BBC Press Office posted:

lots of words that are not "humour"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm curious to see if they try to force the new UK Top Gear presenters into the same character molds that they tried with others, notably US Top Gear. It would be sadly ironic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
You guys seems a lot more pessimistic than I'd expect. It's the BBC, I'm sure they'll figure out a way to make it different, yet still enjoyable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

pik_d posted:

You guys seems a lot more pessimistic than I'd expect. It's the BBC, I'm sure they'll figure out a way to make it different, yet still enjoyable.
I fully expect a designed-by-committee, unfunny clusterfuck of mediocrity , trying to shoehorn itself into a mould of WE HAVE DECIDED THIS IS WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT TOP GEAR, YOU WILL WATCH AND LIKE IT.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 16, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

quote:

Production on the new series of Top Gear will start in the next few weeks and more information will be announced in due course.

That's actually the worst part of the announcement. There's no way in hell they've been able to retool in 2.5 months time.

As an American, I have no loving clue who Chris Evans is. That was bound to be the case no matter who they announced, but it shows their difficulty in trying to relaunch this. Top Gear is a worldwide brand and to anyone outside of the UK, those 3 are that brand.

I honestly wonder if BBC-A will even pay to license the re-launched show since it's bound to take a massive MASSIVE ratings nosedive the instant people figure out the three aren't coming back.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

yeah seriously who is chris evans what's he done and why should i be interested

i'm not being a dick these are the three questions that popped into my head when i read this this morning and i don't have the answers to any of them
and worse, i can't make myself care enough to look into it :/

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Isn't chris evens the guy with the massive garage for all his white ferrari's and a grand piano playing in it constantly? Also he bought that GTO for an absurd amount of money?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Alighieri posted:

Isn't chris evens the guy with the massive garage for all his white ferrari's and a grand piano playing in it constantly? Also he bought that GTO for an absurd amount of money?

He's a business man yes

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Chris Evans is smarmy, unfunny, ginger-haired radio host with about as much charisma as a boiled turnip. He's famous for owning a bunch of all white Ferraris including (I think) the only white F40 in the world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does no one ever complain that these BBC types are all millionaires?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

Does no one ever complain that these BBC types are all millionaires?
Only if the BBC type is a oval office or the complainer reads The Guardian.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I was wondering why everyone is that upset, then I noticed that I mistook that Chris Evans for Chris Harris.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's going to be amusing if BBC-A advertises it as "Top Gear with Chris Evans" and everyone is wondering why Captain America isn't the host of the show.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well the best thing is that Roadkill and MCM exist so who the gently caress cares about the death of Top Gear? I'll just also hang to see what Netflix comes up with, if that rumoured show with Clarkson / May / Hammond is true.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well the best thing is that Roadkill and MCM exist so who the gently caress cares about the death of Top Gear? I'll just also hang to see what Netflix comes up with, if that rumoured show with Clarkson / May / Hammond is true.

I will mostly miss top gears awesome cinematography. That has hands down been the saving grace of the last few series. If they have same people in the crew it might be an ok show.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ukle posted:

None of Top Gear's previous incarnations come close to the worldwide appeal and popularity of the Clarkson/Hammond/May iteration. On top of that old school Top Gear hails from a time that most people only had 3-4 channels to watch, and the internet wasn't a thing. Had it been around now it would fade into obscurity like Fifth Gear.

Whilst it could have used a bit of a rest, I fear people are correct when they say we will end up with a design by committee Top Gear that lacks all the charm and appeal of the previous incarnation. Especially if they actually decide to make it an informative show about cars ordinary people drive, parkers.co.uk and sites like it exist and renders such a show obsolete.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Yeah, old Top Gear existed during an age where an informative show about cars was actually relevant, and it still got lovely ratings and was eventually canceled. That sort of show isn't even remotely relevant anymore.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Ludicro posted:

None of Top Gear's previous incarnations come close to the worldwide appeal and popularity of the Clarkson/Hammond/May iteration. On top of that old school Top Gear hails from a time that most people only had 3-4 channels to watch, and the internet wasn't a thing. Had it been around now it would fade into obscurity like Fifth Gear.

Was gonna say. The incarnation of Top Gear that Clarkson and Wilman created basically became one of biggest things in the world, to the point where people started sending death threats to a man for having the audacity to be assaulted by Jeremy Clarkson. Old Top Gear was one of those shows that people watched because it existed and was broadcast on BBC, not because it was riveting entertainment.

I also find it funny that people are arguing that the formula needed some shaking up just because they themselves had grown tired of it. There is nothing to indicate that any shake-up was needed, by all accounts the show and its hosts still had massive appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Have they announced who's replacing Wilman? Or is it just Top Gear starring Chris Evans by BBC Productions and nothing else at this point?