Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
And now begins the long wait for gorgeous hardcovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
Hey, Brian...

I hate to be "that guy", but;

The "21 foot rule" only applies if the pistol is in the holster.

Since we can't comment on the actual comic I have to come here.

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v10ch0-page-26

You don't want to give misleading information to any aspiring science adventurers.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Mahnarch posted:

Hey, Brian...

I hate to be "that guy", but;

The "21 foot rule" only applies if the pistol is in the holster.

Since we can't comment on the actual comic I have to come here.

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v10ch0-page-26

You don't want to give misleading information to any aspiring science adventurers.

Exactly why she says it doesn't matter, she's much closer.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
This current story has done some jumping around that I just can't seem to follow. :( I guess the hair colors on the girl are some sort of guide but there's still transitions/events that seem to be lacking enough context for me to get it.

I'm really confused and it's making this story super hard to get into for me :ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wish there was some "go to last read page" function on the site for when I inevitably forget to check for a few days (though you may well argue, what would I go and do a thing like that for).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is the girl with the pink hair someone who's shown up before? For some reason she looks familiar.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Tivac posted:

I'm really confused and it's making this story super hard to get into for me :ohdear:
I hate to do this, but I have to throw Scott under the bus on this one. The prologues were all his idea and he drew them on his own trajectory. Every line of dialog was added after the art came in. Scott would be the first to tell you that his strength is not in narrative, and while he can draw a great page that tells you its story without a single word added to it...he tends to fall to pieces at anything longer than that one page. It all fits together, but I'll slap some mini-title pages between each part this afternoon to help out.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wish there was some "go to last read page" function on the site for when I inevitably forget to check for a few days (though you may well argue, what would I go and do a thing like that for).
I'll see what can be done but no promises.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is the girl with the pink hair someone who's shown up before? For some reason she looks familiar.
It's for this reason.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

Hyperactive posted:

Exactly why she says it doesn't matter, she's much closer.

Ah! Clever girl!

quote:

"I wish there was some "go to last read page" function..."

Are you telling us you don't have Robo bookmarked?!! (with last page "pasted")

Shame!!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Mahnarch posted:

Are you telling us you don't have Robo bookmarked?!! (with last page "pasted")

Shame!!
I want to shame him for it, but if he has to click back through a bunch of our pages to find where he was, and then click back through them in the right order to read them, that means...

MORE AD IMPRESSIONS

...so I dunno.

But folks have been asking for that and issue-by-issue browsing outside of the archives, so we'll see what we can do.

P.S. added chapter breaks to the prologue(s) so hopefully that helps the readability a little.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

P.S. added chapter breaks to the prologue(s) so hopefully that helps the readability a little.
Which is entirely not a scheme to get us all to read it again for

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Which is entirely not a scheme to get us all to read it again for

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Hyperactive posted:

That's hugely useful, yes. Thanks!

Seeing that image several times after I went back through helped remind me that the two girls wearing tank tops are actually two different people. I had somehow gotten then idea that they were one person with two different dye jobs. I think the similar haircuts/outfits was part of what was throwing me for a loop.

It's Brazil, I totally get why tanktop/shorts is a common clothing choice. Just wasn't helping my "wtf is going on why doesn't this person know Vic why doesn't Vic know this person whaaaat" issues.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I was wondering something about the new comics: Is volume 10 going to be physically smaller than the other 9? I ask because the individual comics aren't page size.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
What happened to Part 3?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

8one6 posted:

I was wondering something about the new comics: Is volume 10 going to be physically smaller than the other 9? I ask because the individual comics aren't page size.
It's the same. Each page you are seeing online is half of one page. We stack them together into a single page for print.

For those of you worrying about how that might screw up readability: don't. We still write and draw them as full pages. In fact, most of The Knights of the Golden Circle was made to be cut in half just like these pages as our initial experiment to test how it complicated our process. And it didn't.

We felt it was worth trying out for realsies, so we are. The Ring of Fire is our live stress test of the model.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

What happened to Part 3?
I flipped the wrong switch is what happened. Thar ye be.

Hyperactive fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 12, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's interesting, I've seen interviews from creative teams working on stuff like Sensation Comics for DC Digital that mention that format's harder to work to because you need to have a 'page turn' moment, basically some kind of plot motion or transition happen essentially either mid-page, or twice as often as you'd normally write/draw. Plus doesn't it make doing splash pages weird?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

That's interesting, I've seen interviews from creative teams working on stuff like Sensation Comics for DC Digital that mention that format's harder to work to because you need to have a 'page turn' moment, basically some kind of plot motion or transition happen essentially either mid-page, or twice as often as you'd normally write/draw. Plus doesn't it make doing splash pages weird?
I'd suggest they're thinking about it too hard. Then again, going back to the ol' 8-bit days, I'd always seed a page with multiple set ups and payoffs, so maybe I'm already doing that as a reflex.

There's definitely some awkward moments in these prologue pages, but it's too early to blame that on the format exclusively. Especially given Scott's authorship of them.

It doesn't make splash pages weird if you just don't do them! We almost never do them anyway, so we didn't consider it a loss.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Kickstarter just sent out an update that IDW will be publishing multi-volume softcovers as well as monthly comics reprinting the web comics.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Endless Mike posted:

The Kickstarter just sent out an update that IDW will be publishing multi-volume softcovers as well as monthly comics reprinting the web comics.
Yuuuuuuup.

We started getting "But I want the issues!" from the day we announced going to a webcomic/kickstarter model. We're sympathetic to that, we just don't have the resources or time to pull it off. We knew we'd lose some readers as a result, but it was a cost we were willing to pay to be the captains of our own ship.

But then IDW got in touch with us, and long story short, they put down a proposal to get us back onto retailers' shelves with next to no effort on our part.

This means we can keep doing the webcomic and doing business as we'd planned, i.e. direct sales at conventions and through our online shop. But now, IDW gets us back into the direct market so we can keep reaching those customers who prefer to support their local shop instead of a webcomic or comiXology or an online shop.

And, dare I hope, we will experience less fumbling on Diamond's part.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, digitally you guys are still selling under your own banner, IDW's just doing the print version?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

So, digitally you guys are still selling under your own banner, IDW's just doing the print version?
Yup.

Well, it would be more accurate to say that IDW is doing a print version. They wanted to do issues going forward and to collect the back catalog into multi-volume softcovers. Basically: they wanted to tackle the markets that are not our hardcovers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is awesome, IDW puts out some of the best collected editions on the market.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So whenever I get to the comic shop next I can tell them to put Robo back on my pull list?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
What's the best way to support the comic on an average, ongoing basis? Patreon? Just making sure to visit each day for the sweet sweet ad revenue? Secret websites to donate first born (not necessarily your own) children? I've given up on every print comic and almost every web comic out there, but AR is legit quality stuff.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

So whenever I get to the comic shop next I can tell them to put Robo back on my pull list?
Yup!

Mortanis posted:

What's the best way to support the comic on an average, ongoing basis? Patreon? Just making sure to visit each day for the sweet sweet ad revenue? Secret websites to donate first born (not necessarily your own) children? I've given up on every print comic and almost every web comic out there, but AR is legit quality stuff.
Probably the Patreon. Even if it's just at $3/month, it adds up! Just knowing that moola is there every month is a huge relief. Right now it's paying for our groceries and new studio space so we can work outside of our homes when Scott and his family move down here next month.

And gets you some neat behind-the-scenes access. We're gonna do a livestream thing for Patrons this Friday afternoon for example. And you should visit the site each day anyway because there's something new there every danged day.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Has Bernard really been drinking for 2 years straight?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

wiegieman posted:

THats how I got through college!

(But also, nice Days of Future Past reference)

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

wiegieman posted:

Gotta do something to dull the guilt of knowing Atomic Robo fell on your watch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm slowly starting to realize that we're not in an alternate timeline where Tesla never built Robo but his head is stored, but that it's the same history and there's just always been Robo's head from the future in storage.

Not quite sure how I got the idea, in retrospect, but it's made reading the past few pages a little weird.

also isn't this the plot of a Star Trek: TNG episode?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

also isn't this the plot of a Star Trek: TNG episode?
Also Futurama. Also BTTF3 if you count the DeLorean as a robot's head.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, Futurama was deliberately ripping off TNG, too.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I, for one, am eagerly awaiting the point at which robot's head is welded to a colossal japanese combat frame to punch some godzillas. This can be the only direction this is heading.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Before we get there I'm betting the action scientists (who have no real resources) end up attaching Robo's head to an adorable RC car.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

McKilligan posted:

I, for one, am eagerly awaiting the point at which robot's head is welded to a colossal japanese combat frame to punch some godzillas. This can be the only direction this is heading.

8one6 posted:

Before we get there I'm betting the action scientists (who have no real resources) end up attaching Robo's head to an adorable RC car.

Pretty close! Giant robots are 100% happening. And substandard Robo bodies are 100% happening.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have a tiny point of criticism, which is that I think it would have been funnier if Foley hadn't pointed out the "hello" thing and instead they just found the box on the shelf and when we see it, it's upside down.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I have a tiny point of criticism, which is that I think it would have been funnier if Foley hadn't pointed out the "hello" thing and instead they just found the box on the shelf and when we see it, it's upside down.
You are probably right.

But.

We had to make sure it was clear why they would risk their lives to investigate this one serial number. Merely mentioning that it was "different" from the other numbers wouldn't be enough to convince the average reader that the characters are behaving realistically. Even if we show them it was 01134, most readers would NOT immediately read it as leet because this is not the kind of book where that sort of thing pops up, so they'd just think we screwed up and made these characters take a huge risk and that we, as the creators, failed to make a convincing case to justify the characters' actions. Presumably they'd be back on board after the upside-down reveal, so there is that, but there's also a chance of that remaining confusing or unconvincing. Dunno!

So we had to explicitly show and tell why "01134" would be worth taking this huge risk to make sure everyone's on board.

Hyperactive fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 17, 2015

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Is Everything Explodes going to be softcover and normal trim size? I was surprised to see it solicited already.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Shawn posted:

Is Everything Explodes going to be softcover and normal trim size? I was surprised to see it solicited already.
Yup.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The softcoves are the IDW versions, right? They're super-quick at getting stuff out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It just occurred to me that 130 years is one heck of a long time to keep unpowered electronics in a wooden crate, with uncontrolled climate for at least a few decades of that, and expect them to still work fine and all information to be intact.

giant :ohdear:

• Locked thread