Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The best thing to know about overwatch is that if an alien knows it's being overwatched, even by a rookie with no perks, it will be less likely to move from its position. You can use this along with suppression to pin down aliens and control their movement.

Unless there's a drone, in which case it will deliberately trigger any and all overwatches you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Moddington posted:

The best thing to know about overwatch is that if an alien knows it's being overwatched, even by a rookie with no perks, it will be less likely to move from its position. You can use this along with suppression to pin down aliens and control their movement.

Unless there's a drone, in which case it will deliberately trigger any and all overwatches you have.

It's important to know, but unless you do suppress it (or whatever else you come up with based on skills) it's just getting a shot on your overwatcher and depending on difficulty you want to minimise fire taken over almost anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

:shepface: LONG WAR :shepface:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I can barely see the units and ground between all the UI!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

New player, doing classic EW. Is it okay if I lose a council member or two?

I feel like I just poo poo out a satellite here and there to keep panic down, but I also need to prioritize engineers on abductions and sometimes that results in high panic elsewhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elderbean posted:

I feel like I just poo poo out a satellite here and there to keep panic down, but I also need to prioritize engineers on abductions and sometimes that results in high panic elsewhere.

Losing countries is absolutely to be expected. Its basically impossible to keep everyone in. The key to success is figuring out which countries you're gonna let fall and which you're gonna aim to keep.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Elderbean posted:

Focus on getting continent bonuses; pick one that you can lose (like South America, the science bonus isn't essential outside of long war and Impossible) and do abductions elsewhere. Getting a continent bonus also means you'll probably never have panic problems there unless you code black or don't do a terror mission (the latter isn't really a concern).

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Internet Kraken posted:

Losing countries is absolutely to be expected. Its basically impossible to keep everyone in. The key to success is figuring out which countries you're gonna let fall and which you're gonna aim to keep.

You only really need to save the good countries. Screw the other ones.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You only really need to save the good countries. Screw the other ones.

Please explain your definition of "good country"

:fsmug:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Elderbean posted:

Losing a handful's just fine. Don't expect your run to go like Jadestar's in his LP, he's very experienced with the game and got insanely lucky (repeatedly). Unless you get incredibly lucky AND know what you're doing losing 1-3 countries are just fine. Just do everything you can to lose them on the same continent so you only lose one bonus.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You guys should tune into Beagle's stream if you want to watch the games AI breakdown in an absurd situation. Beagle has blown up most of the cover against an advancing horde of 20+ aliens and the game has no idea what to do. The aliens just keep shuffling around because they have no cover to advance too.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

You guys should tune into Beagle's stream if you want to watch the games AI breakdown in an absurd situation. Beagle has blown up most of the cover against an advancing horde of 20+ aliens and the game has no idea what to do. The aliens just keep shuffling around because they have no cover to advance too.

There's a whole conga line of Mutons trying to pull WWI trench warfare along the riverbed

It's working about as well as can be expected

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

That's kind of overstating it. Keeping every country is 100% doable on Normal and Classic, but not to be expected on a first run. Relax, kill xenos, smoke Meld.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

it was a thing of beauty

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Zomborgon posted:

There's a whole conga line of Mutons trying to pull WWI trench warfare along the riverbed

It's working about as well as can be expected

Why can't we call in mortar strikes and strafing runs

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its impossible for Xcom to call in air support without some old boat GPS too hijack.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Having the Skyranger double as an AC-130 would have been a nice feature, maybe only in terror missions.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Having the Skyranger double as an AC-130 would have been a nice feature, maybe only in terror missions.

I kinda hope your mobile base or dropship in the next game can do that

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Musluk posted:

how the hell do you skip/forget squad sizes in month 1 let alone month 3? Is that a longwar thing?

e: or are you losing guys before getting sarge/whatever it is in longwar
I'm talking vanilla, back when the game first came out I did the first month enough times that I'm very, very comfortable working with 4 man squads. I play to the strengths the smaller squad has very well, notably keeping hidden, setting up traps, and coordinating small soldier teams with complementary gear.

Which works great until Mutons and such start taking the field and all of a sudden those advantages mean approximately gently caress-all in light of Blood Call and 10 HP. So I'm like 'man, I really need those workshop rebates' or 'man, i really need that lab block active' or something similar, and the OTS just ends up getting shuffled to the bottom of the list until I need it yesterday.

Phobophilia posted:

Can anyone explain "Overwatch traps"?
It means falling back so the aliens can't see your soldiers, then ordering your soldiers to Overwatch. The aliens will blunder into your field of fire pretty reliably, which gets you free shots at them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zomborgon posted:

Please explain your definition of "good country"

:fsmug:

Really Europe is the one that seems safely expendable to me. You always want money, so Africa's good, and the America bonus is really nice, while Asia runs a solid third place. South America's two countries are trivial to get, and I like the bonus, but I wouldn't cry over losing it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

beagle having some really close scrapes tonight

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lotish posted:

Really Europe is the one that seems safely expendable to me. You always want money, so Africa's good, and the America bonus is really good, while Asia runs a solid third place. South America's two countries are trivial to get, and I like the bonus, but I wouldn't cry over losing it.

I agree with this, and I have a poignant story to back it up.

Recently, while listening to podcasts on my car stereo, via my phone through bluetooth, I've been alarmed when the sound suddenly goes out. It turns out that there is a warning message built in to the phone that detects when I have the volume maxed for a while, and resets it to be lower, while saying 'you can hurt your hearing by doing that'.

I tried to find out how to turn it off, and found out it was added due to requirements in the EU.

Eat hot Chryssalid ovipositors, Europe. You've mildly inconvenienced me in your mad desire to pass legislation whose merits are probably inarguable, but whose necessity seems dubious.

If I see a terror attack in europe, I'm like... 'heh'. Turn up your bluetooth peripherals and just ignore the noise. OH WAIT YOU CAN'T BECAUSE YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT DAMAGING YOUR HEARING.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 12, 2015

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Imho the sooner he can get to the temple ship in his tnx campaign the better. There doesn't seem to be anything left to do besides wait

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The simple trick to saving all countries on Normal or Classis is to just do the alien base sooner rather than later. It lowers panic in all countries, and frankly it's pretty much impossible to lose one after you do that. Unless you haven't been putting up any satellites.

The obvious continent to sacrifice, if necessary, is the one you built your base in. Since you already have the bonus and lose nothing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dongattack posted:

Lol uuuhhh, what happened here and how do i fix it? (94000 alloys)

Latest LW beta and using the ini from here:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh whoops.

http://pastebin.com/iYuNFqFz

fixed here.

That should fix the requirements. Alternatively just type /giveitem alloys 94000 and you're set!

also /giveitem weaponfragments 10

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 12, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Picked up EW in the sale, so looking forward to giving this game another spin (last time I almost managed an ironman impossible run, but the game crapped out on the very last mission and I couldn't recover the save for some reason). I notice EW is also a requirement for that Long War mod. Is that any good?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Drunk in Space posted:

Picked up EW in the sale, so looking forward to giving this game another spin (last time I almost managed an ironman impossible run, but the game crapped out on the very last mission and I couldn't recover the save for some reason). I notice EW is also a requirement for that Long War mod. Is that any good?

Give the game another go around Vanilla, and then try Long War if you want.

It's really not that bad on normal with cinematic mode and the above .ini (now that the xenoneurology requirements have been nerfed)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I also just got the bundle on the steam sale. Should I jump right into EW or start with EU? I'm not sure what the difference is.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Dongattack posted:

Lol uuuhhh, what happened here and how do i fix it? (94000 alloys)

:lol:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I also just got the bundle on the steam sale. Should I jump right into EW or start with EU? I'm not sure what the difference is.

EW.

EU is the base game and EW is an expansion that just makes everything better and adds killer robots you get to build.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Control Volume posted:

beagle having some really close scrapes tonight

He is nailing this base assault opening. That In the Zone streak was something else.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
To add a few things about Overwatch, it was recently found that a bug exists (has always existed, probably) with cover granting defense to aliens/x-com triggering Overwatch by moving. It's already known that shooting from cover against Covering Fire grants defense, but moving along a tile that has cover on one side also grants that cover's defense, even if it's a flank. Shooting on Overwatch against something that's in the middle of completely open terrain still works fine.

The second thing is that gold moving/dashing does not have a lower chance to be hit on Overwatch with LW's 0.7/0.7 modifiers for blue/gold moves. The game code only uses one modifier for the respective blue or gold move and never uses them cumulatively.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 12, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Corvinus posted:

The second thing is that gold moving/dashing does not have a lower chance to be hit on Overwatch with LW's 0.7/0.7 modifiers for blue/gold moves. The game code only uses one modifier at a time and never uses them cumulatively.

That's being fixed in the next beta I think.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought I was gonna finally beat impossible. Sure I was one country away from losing the game. Sure I was really behind the research curve, not even having carpace armour in month 4. I was pulling off missions well though. Nobody important had even been wounded in ages. I was confident in my team to complete missions even with subpar gear. I thought I was going to make it.

I thought wrong.

Let me tell you about Operation Forgotten Knife, the mission that doomed XCOM. A terror mission in Seattle that I thought wouldn't be much of an issue. Well, it could of been simple, but things went to poo poo quite fast.

-Chrysalids charge out of a building on turn 2. That's to be expected and I prepare to gun them down. Move up to shoot a chrysalid...and end up revealing 3 more chrysalids with some floater pals. Crap.
-I can still handle that though, with liberal use of rockets. I blow up most of the chrysalids, leaving only two left. One of them is a tile away from a soldier, but it has two health and she has CC specalist. So I think she'll be fine. Take a 90% shot on the last chrysalid, which misses. Alright I can work with- wait it blew up the wall? And behind the wall there was a CYBERDISC? Oh...gently caress :gonk:
-Cyberdisc isn't happy to see me. It floats over to my troops and uses its AOE ring of death, which I've literally never seen before. This outright kills one soldier and heavily wounds another. Oh and that 2 health chrysalid? Well it turns out CC specalist doesn't proc on a one tile move or something. It just happily walks up to my soldiers and instakills her. So that's two guys dead in one disastrous turn. Might of been able to salvage this but I tilted.
-I try and take out the cyberdisc with focus fire but it barely survives. To make matters worse, a car my soldier was sheltering behind blows up without me noticing and then he gets sniped by a floater. To make matters catastrophic, I forgot that zombies get a free move when they get off the floor. It clonks my MEC for 13 damage, who then gets blown up by the cyberdisc.
-2 troops left, literally cannot abandon the mission without losing the campaign, I think you can guess how things turned out for them.

:xcom:

Dude, terror mission. Always run your A team and expect the worse.
That said, I feel your pain.

Edit: beagle needs to hurry up so I can watch the drat stream. I completely missed it, but I don't want to jump in at the end. Dammit beagle, finish up so I can watch the video. :argh:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 12, 2015

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I'm talking vanilla, back when the game first came out I did the first month enough times that I'm very, very comfortable working with 4 man squads.

Pfft, what kind of commander doesn't field a rookie as sacrifice to dice gods plus their core team in the first month?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Go right into EW.

Clarste posted:

The simple trick to saving all countries on Normal or Classis is to just do the alien base sooner rather than later. It lowers panic in all countries, and frankly it's pretty much impossible to lose one after you do that. Unless you haven't been putting up any satellites.

The obvious continent to sacrifice, if necessary, is the one you built your base in. Since you already have the bonus and lose nothing.

Doing base defense with just ballistics/lasers can be pretty harsh, though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
They got the subtitle wrong;

The (lack of) thinking behind changing XCOM from a defensive force to a guerrilla uprising.

Fixed it.

Still think the storyline choice is BS. Plus IGN's Steam stats are suspect because they are tallied against all steam owners of the game. 1.1% finished Impossible Ironman, and 1.7% finished Ironman, but how many users actually attempted it? 10% of all users? Which suggests a 1 in 10 success rate, not the supposed 1 in 100.

And sure only 27% got the achievement earned for beating the game -- how many owners of the game have actually played it for any length? 74% completed the tutorial, 51% built a laboratory...

Impossible Ironman as a reason is still extremely lazy. How about upon the (very noticeable) destruction of the Temple Ship an Invasion Force held back to observe enters the system, and obliterates you.

- Queue a cutscene at the beginning of XCOM2 where everyone is cheering (from the end of XCOM), and suddenly numerous enemy contacts appear on screen, and begin breaching the atmosphere.
- Contacts start winking out as your satellite grid gets taken out sector by sector -- all is suddenly silent as the last satellite falls, and your contact alarm is deathly silent.
- Suddenly the Hive comes under bombardment, killing members left and right as structural supports give way throughout the base. You are saved a similar fate by a MEC unit who sacrifices their suit and themselves. You black out amid intermittent flashes.
- <flash> You are being pulled into the Ranger hangar by others <flash> The Ranger exits the base with the exit ramp still open affording a view of the attacking forces, a dreadnought overhead bombarding the area <flash> The Ranger is still bugging out, further away from the Hive as a final volley from the dreadnought ignites the reactors buried deep underground -- the resultant shockwave knocking the Ranger from the sky.
- <consciousness> The Ranger is on fire, most personnel are dead or injured, being evac'd from the wreckage. A cry rings out warning on an impending fuel ignition explosion as the world is suddenly bathed in flames -- held back by the hastily erected shield of a Psi.
- The energy is too great and the shield fails, obliterating the Psi, and the world is on fire before all fades to black.
- Next thing you know you awake from the cryo sleep you were placed in to save your life. With the loss of base personnel, including its Department Heads, 20 years have passed since they were able to regain the modicum of technology, time, space, and expertise amongst the shattered planet to regenerate your blasted body to functionality.
- The Earth is under alien control -- worse, they killed your people, your friends. Now is the time for payback... Welcome Back Commander.

Now *that* is what I want to see.

:qq: Nerds are super salty about anyone daring to suggest that the first game was a losing outcome.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The idea is not "you're being punished because not enough people won". And the "Impossible Ironman" thing was just presented as another way of looking at the story's premise, not as some metacontextual canon that ties in player interface with actual events. It's just a device they used to explain it.

This is just another route -- we already know what happens if XCOM wins. When you beat XCOM, you see that. XCOM 2 is what happens if the project failed and the aliens won. Going only off what we know it's basically a parallel universe/alternate dimension thing, a total "what if". If you don't want to even witness a scenario where that happened because you need the canon to remain victorious, then just treat it as theoretical, or don't even play it. As it is I'm glad we get to see the continued push because it means we get a sequel.

And hey, maybe we should wait till the game is release and we know the actual specific details of the storyline before we start jumping on it? Especially given the "the volunteer is still alive" quote and similar tidbits, it's unlikely we have the full story, so I'm expecting nuance and twists we don't grasp yet. Seems like all this speculation is jumping the gun, really.

hooman posted:

:qq: Nerds are super salty about anyone daring to suggest that the first game was a losing outcome.
It may be because it's late, but I honestly can't even tell if you're being hypocritical or self-satirizing. Are you describing your own inability to accept an outcome where XCOM lost, or are you accusing other hypothetical crying nerds of not liking the idea that their victory leads to a loss?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

It may be because it's late, but I honestly can't even tell if you're being hypocritical or self-satirizing. Are you describing your own inability to accept an outcome where XCOM lost, or are you accusing other hypothetical crying nerds of not liking the idea that their victory leads to a loss?

He has brain problems and didn't put it in a quote, but that was from the IGN comments.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

hooman posted:

snip (inc. weird potentially jocular postscript)

The thing is, I'm starting to like the XCOM 2 premise. Simply saying that despite doing everything right and winning, seemingly sacrificing our best, we then simply got "rocks fall, everyone dies." Yes, that may be expected given the Etherial's talk, but it still cheapens the victory.

This way, I can go back to the times that I did fail, times that all was lost, and bring victory to a time when it was once Impossible.

Edit:

Anatharon posted:

He has brain problems and didn't put it in a quote, but that was from the IGN comments.

Oh, wow. That was a lot of phone-typing for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

hooman posted:

They got the subtitle wrong;

The (lack of) thinking behind changing XCOM from a defensive force to a guerrilla uprising.

Fixed it.

Still think the storyline choice is BS. Plus IGN's Steam stats are suspect because they are tallied against all steam owners of the game. 1.1% finished Impossible Ironman, and 1.7% finished Ironman, but how many users actually attempted it? 10% of all users? Which suggests a 1 in 10 success rate, not the supposed 1 in 100.

And sure only 27% got the achievement earned for beating the game -- how many owners of the game have actually played it for any length? 74% completed the tutorial, 51% built a laboratory...

Impossible Ironman as a reason is still extremely lazy. How about upon the (very noticeable) destruction of the Temple Ship an Invasion Force held back to observe enters the system, and obliterates you.

- Queue a cutscene at the beginning of XCOM2 where everyone is cheering (from the end of XCOM), and suddenly numerous enemy contacts appear on screen, and begin breaching the atmosphere.
- Contacts start winking out as your satellite grid gets taken out sector by sector -- all is suddenly silent as the last satellite falls, and your contact alarm is deathly silent.
- Suddenly the Hive comes under bombardment, killing members left and right as structural supports give way throughout the base. You are saved a similar fate by a MEC unit who sacrifices their suit and themselves. You black out amid intermittent flashes.
- <flash> You are being pulled into the Ranger hangar by others <flash> The Ranger exits the base with the exit ramp still open affording a view of the attacking forces, a dreadnought overhead bombarding the area <flash> The Ranger is still bugging out, further away from the Hive as a final volley from the dreadnought ignites the reactors buried deep underground -- the resultant shockwave knocking the Ranger from the sky.
- <consciousness> The Ranger is on fire, most personnel are dead or injured, being evac'd from the wreckage. A cry rings out warning on an impending fuel ignition explosion as the world is suddenly bathed in flames -- held back by the hastily erected shield of a Psi.
- The energy is too great and the shield fails, obliterating the Psi, and the world is on fire before all fades to black.
- Next thing you know you awake from the cryo sleep you were placed in to save your life. With the loss of base personnel, including its Department Heads, 20 years have passed since they were able to regain the modicum of technology, time, space, and expertise amongst the shattered planet to regenerate your blasted body to functionality.
- The Earth is under alien control -- worse, they killed your people, your friends. Now is the time for payback... Welcome Back Commander.

Now *that* is what I want to see.

source you are quotes

• Locked thread