Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I wish they'd just give us the tokens, instead of a ship I'll never play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

jownzy posted:

I wish they'd just give us the tokens, instead of a ship I'll never play.

Look at this smart guy who won't slog through matches with a trash can boat out of sheer :911: patriotism. he'll probably make credits with a good vessel from some third-world country

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Look at this smart guy who won't slog through matches with a trash can boat out of sheer :911: patriotism. he'll probably make credits with a good vessel from some third-world country

Yes, the Grem is still the best ship in the game.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

They won't even see me with that special edition camo.

Also, since our fun seems to be winding down, I got 50k free exp, wondering if I should try and get to the end of US cruisers or Japanese cruisers.

At Myoko and Pensacola right now.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 11, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

jownzy posted:

At Myoko and Pensacola right now.

I highly recommend at least giving the Mogami's stock guns a try.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Shalhavet posted:

Closed beta reward bote announced. It's the USS Arkansas, tier 4 US BB.
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/cbt-arkansas/

e: It's gonna be loving terrible. 20kts and it's not armed with the right guns. Looks like they're giving it the 12"/45 caliber Mark 5 instead of 12"/50 caliber.

Looks like only random battles count, not co-op (I just started playing, forgot I had been invited to the CB).

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Haerc posted:

Looks like only random battles count, not co-op (I just started playing, forgot I had been invited to the CB).
It's hilarious that there's conflicting information on this.
http://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/39aen4/closed_beta_test_accounts_to_be_wiped_soon/cs1q19i
vs
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/31853-closed-beta-reward-uss-arkansas/page__p__846361#entry846361

Do battles against bots count or not? Is it 49 or 50? Who knows!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I just assumed it was random battles only, because those were the only ones being tracked in my profile... Shrug, :wargaming:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

In case of doubt always assume the worst.
That means random battles and 50. hth

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

xthetenth posted:

Yes, the Grem is still the best ship in the game.

Why exactly is it so good?

Michaellaneous posted:

In case of doubt always assume the worst.
That means random battles and 50. hth

How much longer do I have to get 50 battles in?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hooray, I just looked and have 277 games played. Sadly, I also discovered I'm one of the 46% shitters. I have no idea why.

I'm going to assume low battle count skewed by some hilariously bad gaming. Nothing like having 5 ships steaming to a side, 2 enemy battleships start shooting. And then after two volleys from them, they only are shooting you. You unsuccessfully disengage as you were busy manuevering to dodge as much as you can. After death, you look and see you are one of three players dead, the other two died on the other side of the map and the other 4 ships in your group ran away. That scenario plays out waaaay too drat much for my taste.

That, or I'm in a slow boat and suddenly find myself entering battle with half my team dead. Ala, T95.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Leif. posted:

Why exactly is it so good?

It's fast, with a relatively good silhouette, enough and long ranged enough torps that they rarely cause problems, and very good destroyer guns with a slow turret speed that can be mitigated well as their drawback. It's great at keeping range and skirmishing.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

JuffoWup posted:

Hooray, I just looked and have 277 games played. Sadly, I also discovered I'm one of the 46% shitters. I have no idea why.

I'm going to assume low battle count skewed by some hilariously bad gaming. Nothing like having 5 ships steaming to a side, 2 enemy battleships start shooting. And then after two volleys from them, they only are shooting you. You unsuccessfully disengage as you were busy manuevering to dodge as much as you can. After death, you look and see you are one of three players dead, the other two died on the other side of the map and the other 4 ships in your group ran away. That scenario plays out waaaay too drat much for my taste.

That, or I'm in a slow boat and suddenly find myself entering battle with half my team dead. Ala, T95.

You really don't have enough control over the other 14 drooling mongoloids on your team to affect the outcome of the battle like you can in WoT where someone can carry super hard and win a match. It is much more difficult in botes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

demonR6 posted:

You really don't have enough control over the other 14 drooling mongoloids on your team to affect the outcome of the battle like you can in WoT where someone can carry super hard and win a match. It is much more difficult in botes.

Yeah, I figure that is a big part of it. None of the battleships show off as being something like a maus where you can just take a beating from 4 tanks and still hold the line.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, I figure that is a big part of it. None of the battleships show off as being something like a maus where you can just take a beating from 4 tanks and still hold the line.

There's also no camouflaged firing points, no hull down with impenetrable turrets, no side scraping to deflect, prevent or absorb incoming fire while you deal damage back. It's a damage race you can't win, even if they come at you one at a time you need to get unreasonably lucky with their salvo spread and shot prediction, and your fire prevention rolls.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
And god forbid you become the object of someone's affection being a top tier where every dive & torpedo bomber, DD and pretty much anything that can possibly set you ablaze finds you..

I quit playing the Yamato because you are practically guaranteed to be the number one target.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I would also dare say the draw rate is higher as well, so 46% might in fact be the 49% in WOT.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

demonR6 posted:

And god forbid you become the object of someone's affection being a top tier where every dive & torpedo bomber, DD and pretty much anything that can possibly set you ablaze finds you..

I quit playing the Yamato because you are practically guaranteed to be the number one target.

Even if you don't get pillaged first up like that, a team full of Shitohitos steering themselves into torpedoes without shooting a few minutes in means even your behemoth battleships and best in tier damage dealing cruisers will be ground down by simple numbers.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I'm at 58% and I can't explain why either. Don't seem to have a big impact on battles most of the time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Small sample size also contributes, can't be more than a thousand people in the CB, at least on the NA server

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

NTRabbit posted:

Small sample size also contributes, can't be more than a thousand people in the CB, at least on the NA server
Nah there are way more than that. Primetime population still peaks around 3500 players online in the 3-4 hours after the 1.5x reset, and offpeak population during the day averages around 1k. That is pretty impressive considering peak concurrency for online games is usually something like 10-20% of the total player population, and most of the people playing botes beta bought their way in through the pre-order packs. Plus people are probably playing less this late in the beta to avoid burnout or because they have unlocked all the ships they desired.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Haerc posted:

I just assumed it was random battles only, because those were the only ones being tracked in my profile... Shrug, :wargaming:
Coop battles are tracked, they're just separate from the random battle stats (click the PvE tab)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
and knowing there might be a wipe in the near future takes the will to play out of the community. AW on the other hand was smart and in between the alpha tests this last round not only let us keep our tanks but the progress was left as well so we walking into this next test with our tanks, experience and loot all intact.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The Mogami with the 155mm guns is seriously fun to play, especially if you get shitters on the other team. Just had a 4 kill game, 2 of which were torp kills and one of them was some idiot running into a set I had fired at another ship and missed!

The pubs in this game put WoT to shame :downs:

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

I've found DDs to have a relatively high carry potential, but apparently they really fall off on higher tiers. I expect to sink at least one careless BB solo in a match or defenseless CVs who very often position themselves alone and pubbies are just never going to bother protecting them.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Has anyone purchased the gimmick Kitakami? It looks like it might be fun. I'm considering the level of anger/tears you could generate by sending all 40 torps at your teammates at the start of a round.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Man, I've got a much worse set of stats than I expected. I assumed I'd have a kdr much closer to 1 but it's only 0.86. 180 battles with a 50.55 win rate and avg 24k damage (most of my matches were tier 4. Highest tier is 6). That seems... not good. Oddly enough, the Minekaze is my "best" ship. With a win rate of 29% but 1.35 kdr.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Is there a list of the best/worst ships? I'm just wondering what I should speed though and not bother getting modules for.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Is there a definite date yet for when the current beta closes? Trying to figure out how quickly I need to grind out 50 more battles because I am bad and had no idea that I was fighting co-op bots and not just bad pubbies.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

So, buy the Atlanta now at 30% off or will there be an opening weekend blowout sale?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Haerc posted:

Is there a list of the best/worst ships? I'm just wondering what I should speed though and not bother getting modules for.
It's not really like tanks, if that's what you're thinking. Most of the boats that are good fully upgraded were already good stock. Check the modules and make sure there's no huge upgrade, then decide how much you like playing that boat.
Most of the time, the modules that make the biggest difference are on the research line to the next tier anyway. The only exception I can think of is the Kongo engine, don't skip that.

jownzy posted:

So, buy the Atlanta now at 30% off or will there be an opening weekend blowout sale?
If it's working how they claim, you'll get all your gold refunded for open beta anyway. Might as well buy it now, no point saving your gold this close to (apparent) launch.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

James Garfield posted:

If it's working how they claim, you'll get all your gold refunded for open beta anyway. Might as well buy it now, no point saving your gold this close to (apparent) launch.

I was worried they were going to do that. I guess it's not that bad, can let me see if I like the ship and basically get a refund on it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

I was worried they were going to do that. I guess it's not that bad, can let me see if I like the ship and basically get a refund on it.

The Atlanta is fun, but having played it for a while I don't think I'll get it after the wipe. It's basically a more fragile and more expensive Cleveland with faster firing guns and torps that's been bumped up a tier.

If you have the gold for it, definitely get it now before the wipe. Murdering destroyers and planes (and everything else as long as they're not shooting at you) never gets old, but I'll just keep a spare Cleveland for that.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Possibly my best 30 seconds of boats ever tonight.

I was setting up a torp run on a New York rounding an island. Turned into the island, led and fired the port launchers, turned back out, waited, fired the starboard ones as I rounded the island. Smoke at that moment, swap to HE, turn away.

What I didn't see was the Gremyaschy and the South Carolina just around the island. Now the New York is hosing me with secondaries while the Grem will definitely not miss his second volley or his torps. gently caress. I'm hosed, turn back in, start shooting.

Fortunately, the Gremyaschy we had engaged earlier and had only a tenth health or so. I turned my guns his way and one-volleyed him.

Then my torps hit the New York. He sinks. Double Strike and Devastating Strike awards.

I start shooting the second battleship. It so happens he's heading straight towards me as I turn back into him, so his secondaries have no angle. My port torp launchers, fired about 30s before the engagement began, are close to reloading.

I hit an island trying to set up the torp angle. Well, I almost missed it, but I scraped it on my side. He's trying to turn guns onto me but they're slow. No... wait, he's turned back, is he trying to ram me while I'm beached?

Then my torpedoes reload. I fire them straight at him, as he's pointed straight at me. They all hit. He sinks less than a kilometer from me. Second Devastating Strike award.

I'm left there gaping at my screen. Did I just do that?

And can I get unstuck from this island?

And that was how I won my first battle in my brand new stock Nicholas.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Riller posted:

Has anyone purchased the gimmick Kitakami? It looks like it might be fun. I'm considering the level of anger/tears you could generate by sending all 40 torps at your teammates at the start of a round.

I got it and overall it's garbage. You live for that one instance where you unload 20 torps into an alley between two islands and get massive amounts of damage. Unfortunately you will have 40 games where you get utterly raped by absolutely everything before that. It's seriously bad, DDs will get multiple citadel hits on you firing HE and a cruiser will pretty much one volley you shooting anything.

So no, don't get it.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I just had a super intense game in my Langley. It was me and the T4 Japanese carrier on our team versus a langley and bogue on the enemy team. I kept the stock loadout and my teammate was, of course, nothing but TBs. I proceed to shoot down 28 airplanes with my one fighter group thanks to continual dogfighting above friendly ships, get torpedoed and burn down to less than 30 health, successfully flee and score 9 torp hits on a variety of BBs and save us from losing early on. We catch up on points, but the enemy has two caps and is rapidly gaining on us. At the very last second, teammate CV lands torps on the SoCar that was in the cap and sinks it. This puts us in the mid 950s with about 15s left on the clock. The game ends when we were at 996 points and I could have sworn it was going to draw on us, but it gave us the victory and holy balls I'm still shaking that was the most intense match gently caress I didn't have replays turned on. CVs can be crazy fun sometimes. :suspense:

For the Bogue and later CVs, is it a bad idea focusing on using the fighter loadout to keep your team safe from TBs/DBs or should I be greedy and go for all out damage?

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, this was fun:

Sometimes it's nice when your shots go where they're needed, especially when loving over fellow destroyers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TehKeen posted:

For the Bogue and later CVs, is it a bad idea focusing on using the fighter loadout to keep your team safe from TBs/DBs or should I be greedy and go for all out damage?

Having never played carriers, I still think it's correct in saying that your teammates will figure out how to die fast and horribly despite your best efforts to save them from doing so. Better to dole out as much damage as humanly possible in the hopes that you can win the attrition battle. Now, if you're in a platoon/division with one carrier covering the other...vOv

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Riller posted:

Its poo poo, for every game you do decent there are 5-10 where you just get poo poo on. They gave it smoke in the big patch to try and help it out but its only 15 seconds long, you cant turn fast enough to drop your torps before the smoke runs out and are up poo poo creek. It also is a giant cheez box that explodes if you piss on it and starts out with very low hp compared to the other tier 8's who will be trying to kill you. The 10k torps are still dont have enough range and are easy to spot and slow. Rip the kit cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I've been cooped up in my flat with flu and no internet for a week and a half. I was going stir crazy. Finally got net back this morning, and got around to having my first WoWS match in about two weeks. It was a bit of a doozy, replay's here.

Highlights:

- Half of enemy team suicide charges down east side of middle (Fault Line standard battle); I immediately scoop up some fantastic damage as an enemy NC cruises right by me at point-blank range with his guns facing the wrong way
- "Friendly" Kitakami nearly sinks me as he drops a full spread of 20 torps at the NC, as it passes behind an island on the other side of me. I wish I was making this up. If I wasn't concerned about the NC sinking me I would've turned my guns around and blasted the Kitakami for being so loving worthless.
- More citadels than you can poke a stick at
- 243,000 damage, a new personal best I think.

The NC is loving dreamy. I can't wait for Iowa. :feelsgood:

e:

NTRabbit posted:

Target - Destroyer: Use HE at all ranges

Target - Cruiser: Long range (ie long enough for shells to plunge downwards), use AP, short range, use HE

Target - Battleship of similar tier: Long range, use AP, short range, use AP and aim for the waterline beneath turrets (i think). Alternative is to alternate between AP and HE to get a good amount of fires going and turrets wrecked while still having some citadel chances

Target - Battleship of much higher tier: Use HE at all ranges

If you're in a cruiser or BB you shouldn't need to fire HE at cruisers unless they're well above you in tier or coming on at an angle. If you've got broadside shots on them, AP will loving trash them, as long as your aim's not terribad. Also, AP works on destroyers in a pinch, since long reloads mean you can't always have the right ammo loaded when some shitbird pops around a headland with his tubes pointing at you. End-on AP hits in particular tend to make them pop in one go.

Mahasamatman posted:

How are the Murmansk and Warspite?

No clue on Murmansk but I'd assume it's very much like the Omaha? Warspite is quite nice, slow and relatively short range/slow turning guns but great manoeuvrability and has a good broadside for its tier. Also very stubby, so pubbies have trouble adjusting for lead at long range. AA is nice but not enough to save you from a determined assault, and now dive bombers actually own you're not as safe from carriers. Used to be that you could just bait shitlers into dropping torps on you repeatedly and then turn out of them while gunning the bombers down.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 12, 2015