Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm a mega sperg and so I bought a DGT pyramid timer thing as an experiment and I think it's helped! Basically, strict turn timers piss everyone I play with off and even the faster players will have a turn or two where they go over time. For us, while the time to take any individual turn is important, it's more about the total time to play the game. It's ok or even important to have a really long turn here and there if you overall play quickly. The DGT timer has a couple modes that work better than normal turn timers for this type of situation: a mode where you can carry over time saved in former turns to future turns as "credit" and a mode where it just accumulates each player's time overall. The former is good when we have a general idea of how many turns a game will take and how long we want to spend playing it, and the latter is good for figuring that out and as a passive aggressive reminder when someone is just dragging rear end.

There is also a count down timer that tracks each player, so if we decide we want to play some game in 2 hours or less, and there is 4 of us, just give everyone 30 minutes and then try to be away of how long we've been taking and how far we are in the game.

Basically, the timer doesn't strictly enforce fast play, but it makes it clear why it took longer and that's useful. The people I play with who are slow-ish can take too long to perform their turns but it's not out of a desire to prolong a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Madmarker posted:

You should check out the magic thread, there is full on market manipulation of the highest caliber libertarian wet dream there. A card I got for 20 bux when it was printed in 2011 sold for over 300 for 4 of them. One card sold, released in a current mtg set, for 14,000 dollars at an ebay auction.

There are literal groups that buy out cards that have a good showing in a tournament and the price can more than quintuple overnight.

I know magic is its own special little thing in the trad game world, but if this is a trend at all, I highly welcome increased regulation and governmental oversight.

To be fair, that one card sold for 14k because it's stamped with the top8 of a recent tournament (drafted cards in tournaments are stamped to prevent people from bringing in outside cards) so it's literally one of a kind.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Madmarker posted:

You should check out the magic thread, there is full on market manipulation of the highest caliber libertarian wet dream there. A card I got for 20 bux when it was printed in 2011 sold for over 300 for 4 of them. One card sold, released in a current mtg set, for 14,000 dollars at an ebay auction.

There are literal groups that buy out cards that have a good showing in a tournament and the price can more than quintuple overnight.

I know magic is its own special little thing in the trad game world, but if this is a trend at all, I highly welcome increased regulation and governmental oversight.

"Shipping $5.00"

Oh please USPS, have that thing chewed up and lost in the mail :allears:

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

You know, I like Vlaada games and all, but a ton of people including myself can find the frantic nature of Galaxy Trucker and Pictomania off-putting or even panic-inducing. I hated Galaxy Trucker a lot the first few times I played it because the combination of trying to be the fastest and best+inevitable failure is a sure fire way to get a panic attack if you have anxiety (I eventually grew to like it more after just accepting that I would finish last every time I built a ship. If people think this is AP, they can go gently caress themselves.)
Speed also, more than any other mechanic really favors people who are experienced with the game. It is particularly rage-inducing if when explaining the game someone says 'Don't worry about the time limit, just do what you can!' Pro-tip, if you do this, it will come off like you are trying to screw over the new players for your own benefit. Pictomania I have only played once, because I didn't like the speed aspect, which is 100% of the game in Pictomania as opposed to like, 50% of Galaxy Trucker. My girlfriend actually ragequit because she wanted a game more about making art, and someone told her not to worry about the time limit.

Dismissing all this as "don't play with people with AP" is incredibly stupid.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm a mega sperg and so I bought a DGT pyramid timer thing as an experiment and I think it's helped! Basically, strict turn timers piss everyone I play with off and even the faster players will have a turn or two where they go over time. For us, while the time to take any individual turn is important, it's more about the total time to play the game. It's ok or even important to have a really long turn here and there if you overall play quickly. The DGT timer has a couple modes that work better than normal turn timers for this type of situation: a mode where you can carry over time saved in former turns to future turns as "credit" and a mode where it just accumulates each player's time overall. The former is good when we have a general idea of how many turns a game will take and how long we want to spend playing it, and the latter is good for figuring that out and as a passive aggressive reminder when someone is just dragging rear end.

There is also a count down timer that tracks each player, so if we decide we want to play some game in 2 hours or less, and there is 4 of us, just give everyone 30 minutes and then try to be away of how long we've been taking and how far we are in the game.

Basically, the timer doesn't strictly enforce fast play, but it makes it clear why it took longer and that's useful. The people I play with who are slow-ish can take too long to perform their turns but it's not out of a desire to prolong a game.

This looks pretty cool. Any reason you went with the pyramid over the cube?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

burger time posted:

This looks pretty cool. Any reason you went with the pyramid over the cube?

I don't actually play that many 5-6 player games and the cube was a lot more expensive when I was shopping on Amazon. Also, this was pretty much an experiment. In hindsight, now that it's proven itself useful, I probably should have ponied up for the cube because putting the pyramid in the holder each time you pass it is more awkward then just putting the cube face up, I imagine. Maybe I'll sell the pyramid or give it away to one of my coworker groups.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Madmarker posted:

Yeah this particular card has some history behind it, it's not really indicative of the game as a whole.

Not that some cards aren't expensive, but this is not a very representative example. Generally the cards that are expensive are a result of genuine demand, not artificial buyouts - people do try that tactic but from my understanding it rarely pays off.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mince Pieface posted:

Speed also, more than any other mechanic really favors people who are experienced with the game. It is particularly rage-inducing if when explaining the game someone says 'Don't worry about the time limit, just do what you can!' Pro-tip, if you do this, it will come off like you are trying to screw over the new players for your own benefit.

There's good reasons the How To Play of galaxy trucker is a slimmed down round and has no timer on the building. I've always done the intro round when teaching people how to play.

Diving a new player in with experienced players with the full game and telling them not to worry about keeping up I guess I can see coming off wrong but just diving in as a practice round you'll figure out as you go along isn't terrible, some people (like me) even prefer that.

But you bring up a good point too that for some people time pressure and hectic pace (chaos) isn't fun. It's stressful, period.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Galaxy Trucker sits in this weird no-man's land for us these days. It's a time-pressure core wrapped in a chill, long-ish goofy game. If we want to chill, we will probably play Skull, Frank's Zoo, Kingdom Builder, Dominion, etc. If we want something intense, we will play a heavier strategy game. If we want something goofy, we'll play something like Click Clack Lumberjack or Cube Quest. If we want something real time and reflexive, we'll probably play video games.

The setup/teardown and teaching effort don't help.

The app is still cool, though!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Heads up to everyone that the new Caylus reprint is available for pre-order through Fun-again games through Amazon without prime support. Today's the day that the manufacturer is taking orders from distributors, so we may see affordable Caylus boxes by July.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Had fun today crushing some empty game boxes down and throwing them in the trash. Suck it nerds :smug:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zveroboy posted:

Had fun today crushing some empty game boxes down and throwing them in the trash. Suck it nerds :smug:

The trash is where Catan and Pandemic boxes belong.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zveroboy posted:

From what I see, should've put the rest of those games in there :smug:

Edit: Except for 7 Wonders, which is an Acceptable™ game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Zveroboy posted:

I am tempted to throw out my Relic expansion boxes since I have everything packed in the core box so neatly but.... they are so NEW! Maybe I can sell em on ebay or something? :ohdear:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Galaxy Trucker sits in this weird no-man's land for us these days. It's a time-pressure core wrapped in a chill, long-ish goofy game. If we want to chill, we will probably play Skull, Frank's Zoo, Kingdom Builder, Dominion, etc. If we want something intense, we will play a heavier strategy game. If we want something goofy, we'll play something like Click Clack Lumberjack or Cube Quest. If we want something real time and reflexive, we'll probably play video games.

The setup/teardown and teaching effort don't help.

The app is still cool, though!

Is Frank's Zoo good I hear some things and some other things but it looks fun for what it is

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I am tempted to throw out my Relic expansion boxes since I have everything packed in the core box so neatly but.... they are so NEW! Maybe I can sell em on ebay or something? :ohdear:

Put a dog turd in them and leave them outside a local comic store.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Put them up on the wall in shame so that you can appreciate the fine Warhammer 40K artwork.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's new game shipment day at the FLGS, please give me your opinions on Samurai Spirit, Shadow Hunters, and Spyfall.

Also played Power Grid yesterday for the first time and won. It seems like an extremely boring and tensionless game as at no point did I feel like the lead I had managed to pull out for myself was in any serious danger of being upset.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shadow Hunters is anime Bang!!! (not an anime bang, which is something else entirely) that is really random since you roll to move to certain spaces (have fun if you never land in a green space while everyone else is doing cool violence things) and roll for combat. I don't really like it that much, but I guess if The Resistance or Coup or something is too logical, it might be serviceable?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Is Frank's Zoo good I hear some things and some other things but it looks fun for what it is

Yeah it's a pretty chill trick taking game. You play on teams but as the score rankings change the teams change. Can also play with odd numbers of players. It has a weird split ladder where the cards break up into water/land animals rather than just 2-10 and face cards.

It's not revolutionary or anything but it's been the most popular of the trick takers we have. The goofy animal art also has been an easier sell, probably

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The DGT Timer sounds neat, I never heard of it before.

Looks really well done.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/31711/z-man-games-summer-release-round-up

quote:

From Japanese publisher BakaFire (Tragedy Looper), Code of Nine is a mystery and deduction game in which players take the role of automatons wakening to the ruins of the world after the fall of humanity. Each player holds fragments of the will of the human race in their fading memories, and players must piece together the fragments to determine the final will of humanity and be the first to fulfill it. The scoring rules change each time, allowing for good replayability. There are also expert rules to vary the game’s difficulty.

The box contains 12 player pawns, 4 Will markers, 31 item tokens, 28 cards, 4 player sheets, 4 memory lists, a round marker, a board, score sheets, and a rulebook. The game is for 3-4 players, ages 13 and up, and plays in 40 minutes. The game is scheduled for July release. MSRP is $39.99.

Z-Man will also release a new expansion for BakaFire’s time-travel detective game Tragedy Looper (see "'Enigma,' 'North Wind,' 'Battle at Kemble's Cascade'"). The Tragedy Looper Extension will include three new Basic Tragedy Scripts and nine scripts for two new Tragedy Sets: Midnight Zone and Mystery Circle. The expansion is planned for July release, and has MSRP of $39.99.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Wow, July release. I vaguely recall someone posting impressions of Code of Nine waaaaay back in the thread, and I think they were mostly negative ones. But that is a hell of a cool (anime) premise.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I hope they can eventually get to the Another Horizon expansion for TragLooper, what I read of it on the jp website sounds amazing.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Kai Tave posted:

It's new game shipment day at the FLGS, please give me your opinions on Samurai Spirit, Shadow Hunters, and Spyfall.

Also played Power Grid yesterday for the first time and won. It seems like an extremely boring and tensionless game as at no point did I feel like the lead I had managed to pull out for myself was in any serious danger of being upset.

Samurai spirit is ghost stories light - there is real decision making and skill involved, but fewer options. Also, you can get screwed by an impossible board if you don't seed the deck slightly, but even if you don't you will know 10 minutes in whether to start over or not. I like it, only played with 3 but it goes to 7.

Spyfall is good if your group likes creative games or social deduction games. I've only played a demo and can't speak to how worth the price it is, but it's easy enough to try it out.

Shadow Hunters is a long time standard when we have high player counts.and want something light. More luck than skill in this one, but a satisfying amount of deduction is involved, so even if you're unlucky you're still able to try to figure things out and help your team. It's never a first choice for me but it fills a niche.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Is code of nine different from that other japanese worker placement game about robots in a postapocalyptic future?

e: It is the same game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159141/owacon Old World and Code of Nine. Interested to learn more about it, though I've read some bad impressions. Sounds like a japanese Argent.

burger time fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 11, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tekopo posted:

Eagerly awaiting for Vlaada's forthcoming real-time worker placement game

It will be about a team of robot-fighting heroes trying to assemble their Super Combination Robot and defeat the villain with their ultimate secret technique :evilbuddy:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

quote:

Samurai spirit

A bullshit game in which your lovely samurai has to defend a lovely village from not-so-lovely enemies. If you get hurt enough, your fursona comes out and now you're a lovely samurai with a goddamned tail who is only slightly less lovely than before.

Your options for dealing with enemies include:

Getting stabbed, because you're a lovely samurai.

Letting them burn down a lovely house, because you're a lovely samurai.

Letting them kill your useless villagers, because you're a lovely samurai.

Shunting them off to the side of your character card for some reason into one of three categories for some reason, because reasons related to being a lovely samurai or something?

Saying "yo, evil bandit guy, hold on ten minutes while I discuss optimum strategy with my fellow lovely samurai" and twenty minutes later you decide to let your buddy deal with him. Hint, your buddy is a lovely samurai too.

Occasionally killing them, elevating you to rubbish samurai until your next turn when you can prove your shittiness once again.

You're penalized for killing too many of them; if you don't shunt one into each of three categories, the thing(s) you miss get hosed anyway. So one of your bullshit houses burns, or a villager commits bullshit suicide, or something. Whatever.

It's a lovely game I've played three lovely times with two groups, and I hate it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, I demoed Samurai Spirit at BGG Con last year having heard a bunch of hype around it, and it fell completely flat and left me totally underwhelmed and wondering why people are talking about it so much. The theme is okay, I like the tower-defense style of protecting your village from waves of attackers, but the mechanics felt super arbitrary and none of the decisions seemed terribly interesting, if they were really decisions at all. Mind you this was only one demo, maybe repeat plays it opens up more, but I'm disinclined to want to find out, and ConfusedUs's post above doesn't help that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

burger time posted:

Is code of nine different from that other japanese worker placement game about robots in a postapocalyptic future?

e: It is the same game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159141/owacon Old World and Code of Nine. Interested to learn more about it, though I've read some bad impressions. Sounds like a japanese Argent.

Oh it's *that* game. I found OWACON to be dull and having no real fun bits; the "what secret goals does everyone have!!" gets old about a third of the way through the first game, and other than that it's a very light worker placement game with a lot of "take that".

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Samurai Spirit is a super fun puzzle for you and your puzzle loving friends to try and solve.

Although if you going into this expecting Ghost Stories but with Samurai and transforming into awesome animals you'll be very disappointed. Also play with biggish group since the rules for playing 1 2 or 3 players are kinda garbage and your lovely samurai is even more lovely because they cant even depend on their buddy because they couldn't be assed to actually show up to help.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This sounds really cool. I'd really enjoy playing with one, but I don't think my group would go for it. I'd buy one anyway for when I have people over, but amazon.ca has the cube for $128 :(

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Recycle your cardboard, you shitfaces. Don't throw that stuff in the trash. Paper doesn't grow on trees.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

unpronounceable posted:

This sounds really cool. I'd really enjoy playing with one, but I don't think my group would go for it. I'd buy one anyway for when I have people over, but amazon.ca has the cube for $128 :(

Boardgamebliss.ca has them for 35 (or would if they were not out of stock) :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I should probably just go ahead and mail-order Tash Kalar and Argent at this rate. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Actually the whole Samurai Spirit thing raises a question...what are the good samurai-themed boardgames out there, if any?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sekigahara

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Samurai retheme of Love Letter?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Poison Mushroom posted:

The Samurai retheme of Love Letter?

This is not a good game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Die, Hivemind, you don't belong in this world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Just played and nearly finished my first game of Terra Mystica with four others. The best part? EVERYONE ELSE was new to it as well. The first two rounds were full of questions and pausing to check the rule book on gaining power from structures, what the symbols on the player cards meant, and what was and was not an action. Once we started getting it, though, the next few rounds went fairly smoothly even though we obviously had more options at that point. Even though we had to leave due to the shop closing on round 5 out of 6, everyone who played said they really enjoyed it, and it didn't feel remotely like three hours. I played the Witches and loved flinging settlements around the map later on, but the guy playing the Cultists was just destroying everyone else on the cult track since he started building in the same area as two others, so he was going up the tracks like three times a turn. It was actually a pretty close game among three of us, but I didn't even bother counting my VPs because we were past closing and I had fun regardless.

The downside is that even though my new board game group meets twice a week, it's only three hours a meeting. I am discovering myself to be a Eurosexual, so that means if I'm lucky enough to wrangle two or three others into playing an economic or worker placement game like this, it'll probably be the only game any of use play that night. Not a huge deal for me, but a lot of others seem to suffer from the Netflix Problem where everyone brings so many games total that people can't decide on a goddamn game jesus christ just say you'll play or not