Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The thing I hate about the JP novel is Hammond, I very much love the movie's portrayal/interpretation of the character and its a depressing character arc where you see an old man's dream die a horrible death.

Also because I read a lot of Crichton novels I loving hate his stock Evil CEO characters and smug self inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah novel Hammond is often seen "stamping his little feet and whining like a rich child who doesn't get his way." also, Grant has a beard; and while I also have a beard, Sam Neill does not and I could never get past it. But Muldoon being an absolute badass, was something the film flirted with but never realized

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I really enjoyed this movie but its not better than JP1. I did watch Lost world earlier today so maybe my expectations for this were super low but drat I had a lot fun with this movie.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I would say its shot better than JP2, but has even worse writing.

A+++ Delivered on all expectations DINO FIGHTS

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Saw the movie tonight. I vividly remembered the shot at the end of JP with the banner falling in front of the T-Rex that says "WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH" after it had ended and I felt 8 years old again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, watching JP again made me realize (JW spoilers) the two jeeps the kids come across are the two jeeps the first movie's main cast first see the dinosaurs in. Same numbers.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Remember to say "Its a birdemic" during the movie.

I found the whole plot of the movie to make fun of itself. They made a dinosaur movie that was bigger a sequel, louder filled with tropes, and stuffed with even more teeth side plots. All to increase the attendance at the park movie theater.

"All to sell a soda that cost 7 dollars" - actual quote from the movie!

It also didn't make sense they needed more money, the place was loving crowded as gently caress.

Action was good, the story only slows down at some parts. It may not be the best movie ever but it was pretty entertaining.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 12, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I loved all the stupid, blatant product placement because that's exactly what you see at actual theme parks.

The only moment that really took me out of the movie was the gyrosphere being self-piloted in the middle of random dinosaurs, because bulletproof glass ain't gonna do poo poo if several tons of dinosaur trip over you.

Darko posted:

her assistant. played with by multiple flying dinos, then eaten WITH the flying dinos by the big croc dino

It looked the mosasaur swallowed her whole, which if anything is even worse than just getting bitten in half like the i. rex was doing to people.

PiedPiper posted:

Just saw it with my sis. It was good. Not without flaws, definitely, but nothing offensively bad either. The only scene that really stuck out to me was when, in the middle of visiting the loving DINOSAUR park, the younger brother asked "Do you think mom and dad will divorce?" Like, what the gently caress, kid? Do you contemplate the inevitable heat death of the universe when you're in Disneyland? I get that this poo poo is very personal to the kid but the whole conversation came out of left field for me.

The point is that they got sent off with the aunt for a couple of days so the parents could finalize the divorce without them around.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think he exploded because he got knocked into a restaurant stove or something.

Yeah, one of the shots of the main street early on gives you a quick look at somebody cooking with bursts of flame.

weekly font posted:

Nah it's not like some rear end in a top hat shut down the power grid or anything. poo poo just got out of control cause they played god. Even the supposed antagonist wasn't a bad guy.

Ultimately what caused it all was that one guy who ran straight for the big doors and opened them up while the i. rex was chasing him. He's the real villain of the piece here.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 12, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The last 30 minutes were the funniest goddamn thing I've seen all year. I loved this movie.

Vincent D'Onofrio's death is loving hilarious. As well as the I-Rex LMAO. I didn't expect that. gently caress yeah swimming dino! Nabbing the best kills in the movie.

Also, I think I was the only one who liked Bryce Dallas Howard's character more than Chris Pratts. She was really good. I hated how the movie kept undermining her.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Tenzarin posted:

It also didn't make sense they needed more money, the place was loving crowded as gently caress.

Twitter is insanely profitable and they just fired heir CEO or whoever. You almost got it right until that last quote.

The movie is very meta. The brothers relationship is very real feeling and the older one acts just like a creepy teenager would. The external and internal pressures on the park are very realistic. But it's too realistic for a movie so (some of) the crowd dislikes it. Just like dinosaurs w/feathers, etc. We don't want the movie to be real, we want it to be what our expectation of real is.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I started off writing this liking the movie but being a bit disappointed. After writing the a paragraph about one subplot they could have ditched I realized there were other issues. That lead to another paragraph and realizing there were more things that didn't make sense. Which lead to another paragraph and still more issues.

I deleted the paragraphs but the damage was done and now I just feel disappointed.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Still bummed we never saw a Dilo or Spino, Apart from a skeleton and surprise hologram that spooks a raptor feel they should of added them into Dat dinosaur brawl.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tenzarin posted:

Greed is what ruins everything because apparently some assholes can't be pleased with the mountains of money they are making.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This movie was very cool and exciting. I'm surprised that people didn't like it, because it had a poo poo load of awesome dinosaurs and they were fighting each other.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

IMB posted:

Twitter is insanely profitable and they just fired heir CEO or whoever. You almost got it right until that last quote.

Twitter has lost money every year of its existence.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

smoobles posted:

This movie was very cool and exciting. I'm surprised that people didn't like it, because it had a poo poo load of awesome dinosaurs and they were fighting each other.
The movie was neither of those things and the dinosaurs in this one loving sucked in comparison to the dinosaurs in the original JP.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought the falling crowds explanation was a front for the military stuff.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I just can't let something go.

Why have a military subplot in the first place? It pads the movie out but it doesn't add anything essential to the plot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

RandomPauI posted:

Why have a military subplot in the first place? It pads the movie out but it doesn't add anything essential to the plot.

Sequel hooks, what else?

This is Hollywood.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

RandomPauI posted:

It is probably a sequel hook considering that Dr. Wu and the embryos got off the island safely also I'm pretty sure that Dr. Wu and Vincent D'Onofrio working together implied that the Indominus Rex wasn't accidently so lethal but actually purposefully made for military purposes.

Also, it allows for the second set piece with the armed squad fighting the raptors to happen, because they have to kill off the park's entire security team in the beginning to allow the I Rex to run as rampant as it did.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't get people saying this is better than the sequels. 2 and 3 were not great but they actually felt like Jurassic Park and had memorable moments. This movie felt nothing like Jurassic Park. It had armed commandos shooting raptors with rocket launchers like it was Aliens or something, and raptors with cameras mounted on their heads being turned into weapons by the military. These two points are completely cheesy and against the spirit of the first film which really focused on showing dinosaurs in a naturalistic environment. In the first films the Dinosaurs acted and behaved like animals but this movie literally has the T-Rex and raptors teaming up like they are best bros in an incredibly dumb fan service moment that doesn't even look that great compared to the cg in the earlier film. The movie really lacks any suspense or memorable set pieces like the car scene, kitchen scene, or high grass sequence in the first two movies. Oh, and there is a random cameo by Jimmy Fallon. Could you imagine a cameo like that in the first film?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I saw it this evening and quite enjoyed it. But I also liked all of the previous JP films though the first one is obviously the best. This one did kick a lot of rear end and while it made statements about greed and marketing and warmongering it didn't beat you in the head about it. I also liked it a lot more than Fury Road which I enjoyed but wasn't blown away by. (Kind of like last year's Godzilla. I liked it but I am unsure I want to ever re watch it. JWorld I kind of do.)

But I saw the first JP when in the Navy as an 18-19 year old and had read the book in high school first so I do have some stalgia I don't have the childhood defining kind.

As a fourth entry in a monster series it owns the poo poo out of Jaws 4 and is better than Alien Resurrection which is still far dumber than any of the JP films. (Jaws 4 is rear end. I like the other 2 sequels for what they are however. I might be going to a 40th anniversary showing of Jaws on my 41st birthday though. I just have to get fandango to unfuck my ticket. )

I liked both of the leads a lot and liked the kids. The gyro bubbles were obviously silly as was the canoe ride. Let normal people interact with large animals openly? Yeah that's just asking for lawsuits as people gonna be stupid and self entitled and will harass the good Dino nice Dino sweet Dino. That being said if I had been in such a place I probably wouldn't leave the petting zoo area for like a day and would be totally hugging the Triceratops babies like that one kid did to the baby sauropod. :3

So it was good fun and the time seemed to fly by. Not sure of the obvious sequel hook but if it leads to more Pratt and Ginger Howard shenanigans I am all for it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RandomPauI posted:

I started off writing this liking the movie but being a bit disappointed. After writing the a paragraph about one subplot they could have ditched I realized there were other issues. That lead to another paragraph and realizing there were more things that didn't make sense. Which lead to another paragraph and still more issues.

I deleted the paragraphs but the damage was done and now I just feel disappointed.

They should of followed the crazy japanese guy side plot, his whole thing was just shoved off screen to make room for another side plot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie feeling nothing like Jurassic Park made it good. I saw Jurassic Park, and 2 and 3 were pretty much the same movie. So this was an interesting change of pace.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Recently got back from a showing tonight and I was less than impressed. It felt like a wasted opportunity. The concept of the I-Rex and using dinosaurs as biological/military weapons was idiotic in my opinion. I mean, really? Talk about unoriginal & lazy writing. Leave the biological weapon crap with the Alien franchise or SyFy Original movies, please. There were simply too many instances in the film where unintentional comedy occurred, too. "It's part Raptor!" or, the Raptors equipped with live feeds, or, taming Raptors to begin with. The climatic fight couldn't salvage the movie either, and the Mosasaur popping out of nowhere and killing the I-Rex instantly reminded me of Samuel L. Jackson's death scene in The Deep Blue Sea. Some parts of this felt like a light hearted PG flick while there were other parts where blood was splashing on walls. At least the first 3 were consistent in tone. The development hell this movie has been in for the last decade definitely shows and they need to stop hiring rookie directors to helm newer installments in revered (or once revered) franchises altogether. I'm Genuinely surprised this is getting positive reviews.

Definitely the worst out of the four films IMO. There were some cool shots and if you like creature features then go for it I guess. Don't expect anything memorable though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Movie was great fun. It wasn't perfect like the original, but nothing really is.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Saw this earlier and yeah there was a lot of missed opportunities.

I feel like the jurassic park series will never succeed again because it's so beholden to making it approachable by young children and to sell toys to them. The first film could afford to do that because it was so groundbreaking and innovative but even then it had serious enough tone and gore to make things threatening. Samuel L. Jackson's detached arm for instance. I'm not saying it needs to be a rated R slasher flick with blood and gore and more importantly titties but the fact you gotta devote so much time to kid characters takes away from any possible story you could tell.

Thinking on it, even as a kid I never like, felt super attached to kid characters. Like they wouldn't make or break a movie for me. Princess Bride is one of the best children's movies ever, but are you really super attached to the kid at the beginning? I think Hollywood vastly overestimates the need to pander to demographics. I didn't give a poo poo about Lex or Tim when I was like 7, I was fascinated by the dinosaurs and plot.

Ultimately I feel like a lot of things in the film could have been solved with a few majorish changes and a few minor changes. The one major change I'd make is having multiple Indominus Rex' breaking out of their habitat so the human characters could actually be effective. Jurassic World has all these people in militaristic gear with expensive rare guns and they're all useless? Jurassic Park 1 it made sense they didn't have all these guns- the people making decisions in the park didn't expect a massive outbreak or survival situation. A minor change I would have made also would have been the dinosaurs escape because of sabotage again. If they wanted to play the "TURN THE DINOS INTO WEAPONS FOR THE MILITARY!! angle, I'd have gone all the way in with that sideplot. The park is sabotaged and a super killer genetically modified indominus rex are unleashed on the park as a deliberate test run to see how effective they would be with the goal of turning them into a weapon. The villains expect to be able to keep things contained in the off limits area but their experiment has gone horribly right. Hey, look at that sequel buildup! It feels like they wanted to do that but that would have been too morally corrupt or something.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 12, 2015

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
So is this the time we start saying JP3 is an under-rated masterpiece like Alien 3.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The good:

-The parts with Pratt
-The parts with dinosaurs
-The parts with Pratt AND dinosaurs

The bad:

-The parts with neither Pratt nor dinosaurs

It is super hard to hate the bad guys because I would watch eighty movies of Pratt and his velociraptor buddies fighting terrorists.

The start of the film reminded me vividly of the video game from a decade ago, Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. I'm about 80% sure that when they were talking about tranquilizing an escaped dinosaur for transport back to it's enclosure near the start of the movie it was a deliberate reference to it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

At times the movie felt like Resident Evil with the corporate espionage and shadowy scientists and saving the samples, etc. poo poo, give BD Wong shades and he's Wesker.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, so this movie started great and just turned into more and more of a hot mess as it went along. Not the worst film I've seen this year though. Not even nearly the worst Jurassic Park film.

No spoilers, but am I the only one who thought that the older brother character -- Zack? -- was really loving bad at acting scared? One of my favorite things from the original JP was the awesome epic freak-outs that the kid characters had. Lexie and Timmy goddamn sold their terrified screaming and panicky responses. This kid just seemed vaguely concerned, at best, about all the life-threatening lizard violence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SirDrone posted:

So is this the time we start saying JP3 is an under-rated masterpiece like Alien 3.

Alien 3 is legit good. With JP3, there isn't any superficial things holding it back like "THEY KILLED MAH FAV CHARACTERS".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

InGen is basically Weyland Yutani

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Darko posted:

her assistant. played with by multiple flying dinos, then eaten WITH the flying dinos by the big croc dino

is that the scene that has been spoiled in the commercials where we see the mosasaur jumping up and eating a flying dino?

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Uncle Wemus posted:

is that the scene that has been spoiled in the commercials where we see the mosasaur jumping up and eating a flying dino?

Yes. I think they just edited her out of the trailer/ads, for obvious reasons. It's basically the same angle they use when it eats the shark earlier in the film, too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The best moment of the film was Vincent D'Onofrio looking admiringly at the Raptors and saying "Can you imagine if we had these things in Tora Bora?"

No Vince, I actually can't.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I want a mosasaur plushie. Mosasaur MVP.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Yup.

I think showing so much in the trailers was a mistake, because I knew what was coming in half the big action sequences like that one.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fat InGen dude's plan was so stupid. It felt like they had to repeat the whole idea like half a dozen times just to persuade audiences "this isn't the dumbest rear end-pull plot ever written."

CelticPredator posted:

InGen is basically Weyland Yutani

I dunno, Weyland Yutani at least had glimpses of competence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Fat InGen dude's plan was so stupid. It felt like they had to repeat the whole idea like half a dozen times just to persuade audiences "this isn't the dumbest rear end-pull plot ever written."

It felt like a commentary on that weird old JP4 script with the drug-dealer fighting commando dinosaurs.

• Locked thread