Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info all. I'm going to try a class Wednesday night, so I'll keep everyone updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If yoga is too boring you could always do Pilates, but from my experience it usually costs a lot more.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Meanwhile in russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoK8w39MqT4

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Xguard86 posted:

I guess a lot of guys do yoga on the side of bjj and like it. I find it boring but I've never gone to a class, that might help. I find if its just me on my own I don't work as intensely and often find it dull due to lack of interaction with people.

I don't do yoga, but I've asked from a few friends that do why they insist on going to classes instead of doing it at home, and they say it's a complete different experience, and that they would not bother to do it at all if it was just something to do in the living room.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gadamer posted:

I don't do yoga, but I've asked from a few friends that do why they insist on going to classes instead of doing it at home, and they say it's a complete different experience, and that they would not bother to do it at all if it was just something to do in the living room.

It took me a long time - like 4 years of yoga classes - before I started to sometimes get the same benefits out of it doing it at home by myself as I did going to a class.

Really we're paying for quiet time and to get away from distractions, but if you think about it that's actually kind of a hard thing to get. People loving love noises and distractions. We're hard wired for it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

They always do everything, everything, with safety in mind

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Gadamer posted:

Its because of girls in yoga pants

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

I've grown very frustrated with this Muay Thai class I am trying because they never spar (except I think an hour on Saturdays that I can never make) and don't do much technical work making it feel like I'm just cardio boxing most of the time. I'm considering dropping it to go back to bjj more and figure out some kind of side fitness thing. Ironically the same school I do mt offers a fitness class with kettle bells and last time I saw them, it was really technical on how to swing the bells. So maybe I'll do that.

Our krav classes spar more often than that.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I like going to class and doing yoga at home about equally. If I was young, single and living in an apartment I would vastly prefer going to a class.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
my left knee is hosed so i watched class today for the entire 2 hour class :(

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

It took me a long time - like 4 years of yoga classes - before I started to sometimes get the same benefits out of it doing it at home by myself as I did going to a class.

Really we're paying for quiet time and to get away from distractions, but if you think about it that's actually kind of a hard thing to get. People loving love noises and distractions. We're hard wired for it.

Could you expand on this? Sounds like maybe trying a class would be worth it given the responses thats its different and better?

I did not-crazy crossfit back in college and it was good. I say not-crazy because the guy running it was competent and had a really good culture of technique and safety. He would actually tell us to lower weight on reps or stop if he noticed we were too fatigued, for example. Also he charged like 40$ a month versus like 200$ or something crazy, which is what I was quoted when I moved home and asked a couple local gyms.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
First night back to bjj went pretty well. Made it through warm ups without any issues which I was honestly worried about, since I've been a lazy poop for a while.

I got a little gi burn on my inner arm just from drilling side control. Looking forward to going back.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Been training Muay Thai for about 3 months now, 2 hour classes twice a week, sometimes a class or two on the weekend. On the days in between I usually do some cardio at home or run 4 -6 miles. Great gym, great instructor, really enjoying it. Having one small problem recently though. For the past couple of weeks, every time I go to kick with my left foot , my achille's tendon hurts like hell. Similar motion to the guy in the blue shorts in this photo:

Depending on how much force I'm putting behind the kick it can range from mild discomfort to so much pain that I'm limping for a step or two afterwards. No such pain in my right achille's, no matter how hard I kick. Is this normal? The discomfort doesn't last long, so I'm wondering if it's just a matter of getting the muscle used to the motion or if maybe I'm overtraining. I'm fairly fit and nothing in the classes really gives me trouble at all, except this one thing. Are there stretches or exercises I can do in order to strengthen my achille's and make it so that I can actually train hard with my left foot?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 11, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hmm that's a bit odd. Are you getting a good rotation on your right foot? You want your toes pointed the complete opposite direction. Are you doing a switch kick or stepping into it with your right to start? No prior injuries?

How's jump roping and are you doing that? I'm sure you are getting a good warmup in but can't emphasize that enough. Do you run too? Just treat it like any other tendonitis really. Good warmup, stretch, ice it after exertion, warm compress after that. Get some good ice/warm compresses going and get a good stretch in when you warm it up. Also massage of course. After that just have to let pain be your guide. I don't know your lifestyle or where you live but is that area of your body exposed to warm and then cold temperatures quickly and often? That doesn't help.

This stuff is pretty great too

http://www.amazon.com/Namman-Muay-B...671B41741C6A519

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Could you expand on this? Sounds like maybe trying a class would be worth it given the responses thats its different and better?

I did not-crazy crossfit back in college and it was good. I say not-crazy because the guy running it was competent and had a really good culture of technique and safety. He would actually tell us to lower weight on reps or stop if he noticed we were too fatigued, for example. Also he charged like 40$ a month versus like 200$ or something crazy, which is what I was quoted when I moved home and asked a couple local gyms.

Having an instructor has two main benefits, in short:

1) Someone to correct you. He/she helps you get deeper into the positions, and can find modificaitons for you when it's not working. Most yoga instructors should have some kind of A&P/kineseology knowledge, and they give good feedback, in my experience. The longer you work with a given instructor, the more that instructor can help you figure out good modifications and props for your body and challenges. EG my hip flexors are so tight that to go into full pidgeon applies a sort of a heel hook-style pressure on my knee ligaments - we've figured out ways that I can use props to get the right stretch without having to struggle or hobble myself.

2) You have to think less for yourself about what's going on, which lets you just zone out and fall into the stretch or flow. Sure, you can watch a video, but the people in the videos tend to be uber super yoga freakazoids, and everyone is amazingly flexible and awesome. If you don't understand what's going on in a position you have to crane your neck and look forward. In the studio you are surrounded by normal people with normal ranges of motion, and the instructor isn't typically going to be showing off. If you don't understand an instruction, you typically have a person in your field of vision no matter the direction.

Going to the studio has the benefit of it just being a reserved space which you will only ever associate with quiet yoga. That makes it easier to get into the right mindset. My biggest challenge in doing home yoga is that I don't think of my apartment as a yoga space. I work there, I cook there, and I shitpost there. I never do anything in the yoga studio except yoga, so I don't have to get out of shitposting mode to slow myself down and actually pay good attention to what's going on in my body. Especially for someone who is into martial arts, the slowing down aspect is important and beneficial. In our regular gyms we're always pushing ourselves and being competitive, even if only against our own performances. There's no winning at yoga, only doing. Once you're in the right mindset about just "practice," the breathing and stretching exercises start leading to quite amazing bodily awareness and control, in addition to the obvious benefits of stretching &c. I didn't start to get that until I gave up trying to do it at home.

That being said, if you go and try out a trial lesson or two and you don't like it, don't do it. Almost every studio has a free or deep discount trial option. If I try out a new teacher, and the discussion starts becoming about chakras and energy and spirit and all that hippie bullshit, I don't go back. If I don't like his or her personality, or even his or her voice, I don't go back. My favourite instructor is a middle-aged woman who has a very chill attitude toward yoga, enjoys making her students laugh, and is more interested in making muscles and joints work any kind of spiritual healing nonsense.

Also - be careful if you try hot yoga, and don't push yourself too much. I think it was responsible for loving up my shoulder earlier this year, or at least for taking a minor injury and turning it into a "you can't throw a right hand for a month" injury.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Hmm that's a bit odd. Are you getting a good rotation on your right foot? You want your toes pointed the complete opposite direction. Are you doing a switch kick or stepping into it with your right to start? No prior injuries?

Yeah, no problems with rotation really. It happens on both switch kicks and straight kicks with no switch. I had some tendonitis in my knee in...2009, but no injuries since then.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How's jump roping and are you doing that? I'm sure you are getting a good warmup in but can't emphasize that enough. Do you run too? Just treat it like any other tendonitis really. Good warmup, stretch, ice it after exertion, warm compress after that. Get some good ice/warm compresses going and get a good stretch in when you warm it up. Also massage of course. After that just have to let pain be your guide. I don't know your lifestyle or where you live but is that area of your body exposed to warm and then cold temperatures quickly and often? That doesn't help.

We warm up pretty good. Jump rope, some drills, some running, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. I run twice a week, so it might just be an overexertion thing. Right now I live in the middle of Brazil, so temperature change isn't really a problem. The only thing I can think of is the combination of running and also walking a lot more than I usually do due to a change in work schedule and routine.

I'll try and find that here. I guess it's just a matter of focusing more on stretching before and after and letting my body adjust.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 11, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well 3 months is a while and it doesn't sound like you're overworking yourself especially if that's the only issue. You won't find namman muay anywhere but online, a thai specialty store, and maybe some MMA gyms. If and when you get it massage it in nice and good before and after sessions. But yeah warmup is king of course. Maybe jumprope on your off days. Get some good post workout stretches in and maybe look up some achilles tendon physical therapy exercises. Calf raises and that sort of thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 11, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Thanks for the yoga info. I'll look into some classes near me and see.

On the Achilles. I would consider seeing sports medicine doctor. Because feet and ankle stuff can be really bad if it progresses. It could also be strained from something else not working right.

I just get paranoid the lower on the body the injury goes from seeing people get injured.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

For the past couple of weeks, every time I go to kick with my left foot , my achille's tendon hurts like hell.

Can you tell if the pain is when you point your toes down (away from you) or when you're pulling the foot taut (isometric) or pulling your toes up toward you?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Can you tell if the pain is when you point your toes down (away from you) or when you're pulling the foot taut (isometric) or pulling your toes up toward you?

There's a very mild discomfort in my achille's when I point my toes down away from me. When I kick something while making the same motion there's a sharp pain along my achille's tendon. The harder the kick, the more it hurts. Otherwise I have no pain in that area and have full mobility, regardless of the activity or intensity.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How come human body seems to work in such bizarre days? Today I've been up for 14 hours, did one and an half hour of judo with lots of randori, ran 4k, did my bench presses and cycled a total of 40+k and I don't want to sleep and could go bike a bit more. On other days taking the milk out of the fridge is an impossible task. My diet nor my sleeping seems to affect it, I can be super tired with good eating and good sleeping and be unstoppable on ther days without food or sleep.

A day before yesterday worked out with a friend, bodyweight stuff, did 140 pull-ups, 20 muscle-ups, 80 dive bombers, 150 situps and fooled around with the dip bars. Also cycled 40+k. How come I have so much energy/so little energy without much of a reason?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

There's a very mild discomfort in my achille's when I point my toes down away from me. When I kick something while making the same motion there's a sharp pain along my achille's tendon. The harder the kick, the more it hurts. Otherwise I have no pain in that area and have full mobility, regardless of the activity or intensity.

Hmm, what about correlation between kick and impact? Does it hurt the same whether you land with shin or instep?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Is yoga the kind of thing like weightlifting where I can damage myself if I'm doing it at home with incorrect form?

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Yes absolutely- there's risk of creating structural imbalances over time in strength/muscle tension by working a pose or series without also doing the complement(s), and that will lead to injuries eventually. It's definitely not the same risk of sudden injury as in lifting big weights improperly though. Also keep in mind that stretches are inherently dangerous because, contrary to popular opinion, you actually can be too flexible. Gotta try to be just slightly more flexible than your movements require; best way to use stretching to decrease risk of injuries. Uh also you can also constrict your internal energy flow but of course that's a more controversial issue in modern yoga...

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 12, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Believe me, being too flexible is not a problem I expect to encounter

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The biggest problem I encountered in yoga was trying to hold in my stinky protein farts in a room full of ladies

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Is yoga the kind of thing like weightlifting where I can damage myself if I'm doing it at home with incorrect form?

Yeah. I have messed myself up a little twice.

First, I did a "Bikram Hot Yoga" class with an unfamiliar instructor. I came in with a nagging, irritated rotator cuff, which had mostly healed. The hot room (like 40 deg c) heats up your muscles and makes them more supple, and so when I did some shoulder exercises - eagle arms, which is a way of doing that kind of press-your-elbow-across-your-body shoulder stretch - I over-stretched that shoulder and tore the muscle a bit, so I wasn't able to throw left hands for a month.

This happened because I didn't advise the instructor of my injury and I was pushing my limits on an unfamiliar type of exercise, with a mild injury. The odds of that kind of thing happening are exponentially greater if you're working at home with a video. A good instructor will be scanning the room for people who are struggling or seem to be doing things in dangerous ways, constantly helping people find adjustments.

Now, second, I have my pidgeon problem.

My hip flexors are insanely tight, like to the extent that a 55 year old boxing coach teased me for it this week. Now see how her front leg is twisted around so that the upper and lower thigh are flat to the ground? Yeah, i can't do that. If I try to do pidgeon I can't get the knee down to the ground because my femur won't rotate far enough in my hip socket - if I go beyond about 3" from the ground, my lower leg starts levering away from my upper leg. The sideways force on my leg is like snapping a twig, except the pressure is all on my outer knee ligaments. Now when pidgeon comes up I put a yoga block under my knee to provide support there so I can lean forward and sink into the stretch. When I was doing yoga videos at home, I was trying to do pidgeon and not quite aware that the sensations I was feeling in my leg were bad ones. I was really working hard to get that knee flat, and because everyone in the video is super gumbi flexible yoga type, I thought that I was doing something wrong. I'm lucky that I didn't mess up my knee, but had I been a bit more persistent with it, I ran that risk.

Once I started working with live instructors, I started understanding how the stretches, moves and postures are valuable in relation to your own limits rather than in relation to any kind of ideal physiology, and then I started having a greater sense of what my own limits, strengths, and weaknesses are. Now I know that when I go to any yoga class I'm likely to be close to the best in the room in terms of muscle endurance, core strength, and leg power, and the worst in terms of shoulder and hip flexibility. And that's ok - that's where I'm working, and that's what I'm trying to practice.

That awareness is a really strange thing - when I first started I thought I understood those limits, strengths, and weaknesses, but the quiet time with the body helps you to learn it in much better detail. Like, do you remember when you first started striking? You probably thought that you knew how to punch. And then six months later you learned something, and then you thought that you knew how to punch. It wasn't until you had gone through phases of conscious/unconscious competence/incompetence that you came to really understand how much there is to know, and how good that someone can get, and especially the limits of what you can learn by watching videos on youtube versus what you can learn with a coach in a real gym. It's the exact same kind of learning curve in yoga, but it's harder to intellectually accept that there may be things to learn, because it is so basic and fundamental to our movement as athletes, or even as humans.

Rabhadh posted:

The biggest problem I encountered in yoga was trying to hold in my stinky protein farts in a room full of ladies

This too.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Has anybody taken gymnastics? There's an adult friendly class I could go to but I don't know how beneficial it would be.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
As a judo player, I'd love to supplement with one or two gymnastics lessons per week.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
e: drat, no I have not gotten taller :(

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 13, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Opinions?

Friend busted a knee, for a runner 3 month rehab with no sport specific activity, or so the say, for someone who trains and punching and kicking 8+ months, or so the say. Person has problems with leaning into punches far too much and chaining long combinations (can't remember them or something, these things before the injury) and, for now, can't do anything very explosively because you have to avoid any torgue that might twist the injured knee, so we were just hitting the mitts with very long combinations at a veeerrryyyy slow pace correcting blocking, returning fists without cycling and the different paths your arm makes when you punch.

Now, someone said if you practice throwing punches slo-mo it will just make you strike like you were stuck on glue and you will die. What I say and some others say, is you can practice the correct movements slowly and then unleash hell when you can rotate your hips and legs properly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ligur posted:

Opinions?

Friend busted a knee, for a runner 3 month rehab with no sport specific activity, or so the say, for someone who trains and punching and kicking 8+ months, or so the say. Person has problems with leaning into punches far too much and chaining long combinations (can't remember them or something, these things before the injury) and, for now, can't do anything very explosively because you have to avoid any torgue that might twist the injured knee, so we were just hitting the mitts with very long combinations at a veeerrryyyy slow pace correcting blocking, returning fists without cycling and the different paths your arm makes when you punch.

Now, someone said if you practice throwing punches slo-mo it will just make you strike like you were stuck on glue and you will die. What I say and some others say, is you can practice the correct movements slowly and then unleash hell when you can rotate your hips and legs properly.

I've always thought that practicing slowly was fine, but intentionally missing causes problems.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That reminds me to clear up issues with footwork and punching. I haven't built up the muscle memory for using my hips to punch/getting my feet in the right position yet. I actually had an issue the last class I went to where moving my feet just slightly took my strikes from difficult to pull off, to much more natural feeling. This is totally different from the usual book learning I do and I have no idea how to keep up with it :( What do you guys usually do to build up technique, aside from practicing? Should I be more conscious of something, like how my overall body factors into my strikes, or something?

I'm actually wishing my striking classes were two hours twice a week instead of one hour twice a week, now. Maybe I should have taken up grappling after all. :v: Oh well, I'll pick it up when I'm all eased in.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 15, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Opinions?

I think it's a matter of how ingrained it becomes as a habit. If he already has 8+ months of actual striking behind him a few months of nothing but slow technique might slow him down a bit, but I imagine he'll be back to normal after a few rounds on a heavy bag or something. As an anecdote, I went through a period where I was mostly doing light sparring and not working a bag. I went up to kick a BOB in the head nice and hard and surprised myself when I pulled it just like I'd been doing against my sparring partners. So yeah, I can imagine how training nothing but slow striking for a while will create a hump to be overcome later, but I don't imagine that it would be terribly difficult.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

What do you guys usually do to build up technique, aside from practicing? Should I be more conscious of something, like how my overall body factors into my strikes, or something?
I'm actually wishing my striking classes were two hours twice a week instead of one hour twice a week, now. Maybe I should have taken up grappling after all. :v: Oh well, I'll pick it up when I'm all eased in.

Just stick to classes and it'll come in time. Ask your coaches when you have questions.
But yes, you should treat each strike as a total body movement, where every contributing motion needs to be timed and phased correctly.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So I got over my little "read about survivalism a lot" phase pretty fast. A culture of retards.

The Sam Sheridan book was pretty reasonable, it wasn't instructional, it was just the story of him wandering around the world and asking a bunch of interesting people to teach him ridiculous survival skills. I don't think he's a great writer or anything but he leads such an interesting life that it doesn't really matter.

Overall though, it's a bunch of half-insane vietnam vets on a weird LARPing adventure. There are so many theories built so high on the stupidest foundations. The basic foundations seem to be "rural people are safer than city people in disasters" and "when disasters strike humanity breaks down into violent chaos and you can't trust anyone". When you study actual collapsing-country disasters that happened, both of these basic ideas are repeatedly proven wrong, so it's like, people externalizing their baseless anxieties and building everything on top of them. Thousands of books arguing back and forth over minutae when it doesn't matter, the basic premises are flawed. Most of these people don't believe in climate change, because they're too busy not trusting evil governments. You would think they'd get massive boners at the thought that there is a scenario that will actually happen that they can actually prepare for, but they're too busy fantasizing about zombies to care.

You know after Hurricane Katrina how people were mostly getting along fine and helping each other out and then the national guard rolled in and started shooting people at random and they were the biggest threat of all? The biggest threat of all in an apocalyptic scenario is going to be these rear end in a top hat survivalists, everybody else will get along just fine.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Allow me to recommend Homer Goes to Prep School- Simpsons s24 e9, it's funny and goes right in line with your own conclusions

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You know after Hurricane Katrina how people were mostly getting along fine and helping each other out and then the national guard rolled in and started shooting people at random and they were the biggest threat of all?

Is there a writeup for this?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This is me just quoting the last chapter of the Sheridan book here without checking his sources or anything, it was the best part of the book:

Sam Sheridan posted:

We all remember Hurrican Katrina, when New Orleans descended into utter lawlessness. People ran wild, killing, looting, and shooting at helicopters. The law of the jungle returned. Nowhere was this worse than in the Superdome, where some twenty thousand evacuees took refuge from the storm. Trapped in squalid conditions for days, without any police or government aid, the toilets overflowed and rape, murder, mayhem, and death reigned inside like the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Reuters reported that there were hundreds of bodies in a makeshift morgue, and the chief of police, Eddie Compass, told Oprah that "they were raping babies in there." That's what happens in disasters: people become savages.

Except, of course, it isn't.

When the National Guard finally showed up they brought hundreds of body bags, but when they finished the evacuation of the dome, they pulled only six bodies. Four elderly people had died due to exposure, one person had overdosed, and another committed suicide. Of the nineteen thousand people searched as they left the dome, only thirteen weapons were found.

Who can say where a rumor starts? The police and local radio stations claimed they were receiving phone calls and texts about gangs and roving rapists and murder from people inside. It turns out there was no cell service in the Superdome. When you think about that horrific line, "They're raping babies in there," does that even sound like a crime report, or instead just a nightmare given voice, the sound of panic? And all the stories of snipers shooting at rescue helicopters were later retracted. People may have been firing into the air to get attention. But major news outlets, CNN and FOX, reported the "state of siege" in the city---massive gang violence, rapes and murders---as fact, which in turn influenced how the police and National Guard acted.

Everyone was buying into the notion that civilization is just a thin veneer and that at any moment we can all revert to animalistic, Hobbesian behaviour. The National Guard commander Brigadier General Gary Jones told the Army Times that the city was like Somalia: "We're going to go out and take this city back. This will be a combat operation to get this city under control." From the top down, the outside in, the view was that the survivors were dangerous and wild. And the racial element added a whole other element to the news coverage. Rebecca Solnit wrote in A Paradise Built in Hell, "It was as though a levee had broken and a huge flood of deadly stereotypes was pouring in."

This fear of survivors made a difference---aid was delayed or not delivered because of the "security risk." Food and water had to wait for an armed National Guard escort.

"The vast majority of people [looting] were taking food and water to live," Captain Marlon Defillo, the New Orleans Police Department's commander of public affairs, later said. "There were no killings, not one murder. No bullet holes were found in the fuselage of any rescue helicopter."

There was looting, for survival, and there was plenty of petty theft, but there wasn't widepsread violence."

Sam Sheridan posted:

A typical case of elite panic in a disaster is when police shoot to kill looters, out of the presumed need to protect property. In 1906, after the great quake in San Francisco, the National Guard came in and shot looters because the mayor was sure that all the poor folk were going to break into the taverns, get drunk, and start a rampage. Because, we have to assume, that's what he would have done. People got shot trying to clean up their own houses, or trying to pull neighbors from the rubble. And just in case you're thinking that was a long time ago, it also happened in New Orleans. The governor of Louisiana, Kathleen Blanco, said publicly of the National Guard coming in: "These troops are battle-tested. They have M16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will."

Katrina was a hotbed of elite panic, from Camp Greyhound (the first thing anyone built was a prison?) to police shootings to the mayor's decision, a couple days in, to reassign police officers from search and rescue to property protection while there were still thousands of citizens stranded and in need.

I apologize for the massive derails, by the way, but I figure most of us are at least a little interested because it tangentially ties in with self-defense.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Pollyanna posted:

That reminds me to clear up issues with footwork and punching. I haven't built up the muscle memory for using my hips to punch/getting my feet in the right position yet. I actually had an issue the last class I went to where moving my feet just slightly took my strikes from difficult to pull off, to much more natural feeling. This is totally different from the usual book learning I do and I have no idea how to keep up with it :( What do you guys usually do to build up technique, aside from practicing? Should I be more conscious of something, like how my overall body factors into my strikes, or something?

Do mental exercises. Most athletes who are successful do them. Let's say you had a class where you worked on certain kicks. On the bus to home or before you go to sleep and relax in bed, imagine doing those exercises again. Think about how your feet and hips moved for a certain kick. How it felt. Take a few minutes and go through the exercise just as you did it, but only inside your head this time.

It's almost like doing an additional training session, physically.

Sound far fetched? Try it! It works. I promise.

edit:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I apologize for the massive derails, by the way, but I figure most of us are at least a little interested because it tangentially ties in with self-defense.

That was a good read or two, no problem :)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 16, 2015

• Locked thread