Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Icebreaker is awesome stuff, with one big caveat: it's quite fragile. On average my shirts last about 18-24 months before they start developing holes and need to be replaced.

Ultimately I think the benefits (odor resistance and quick drying) are worth it, especially for travel, and have switched most of my shirts over to merino wool. Just be aware that they won't last forever and will need to be replaced.

Oh, and Icebreaker boxers are way better than ExOfficio. Especially when it's hot out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Living in South East Asia, I'm going to go all ice breaker.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

caberham posted:

Living in South East Asia, I'm going to go all ice breaker.

You might want to buy one before you go all-in, in case you end up having allergic reactions to the wool or something. I inherited a bunch of nice wool socks from my dad a while back thanks to this.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Since were talking about wool, anyone have any experience with http://shop.outlier.cc/retail/shirts/ stuff? supposedly a step above icebreaker in every way

I might buy this but spending so much on a single shirt makes me cringe http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/merino-co-pivot.html

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

hbf posted:

I'm taking WOW in a few weeks, so report back please. I've heard mixed thing, from very strict to lenient eyeballing. I actually bought a checked bag spot anyway, but good to know for future.

Trip report! I just brought a backpack...sort of. I also had one of those little string-bags that people bring to the gym, but I hid it underneath my jacket. I used it to bring back stuff I bought over seas. As for the backpack, for a week it was all I needed and no one at the front desk gave a poo poo. However, anything larger they were definitely checking the weight, so be careful. ]

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 12, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

NoDamage posted:

Icebreaker is awesome stuff, with one big caveat: it's quite fragile. On average my shirts last about 18-24 months before they start developing holes and need to be replaced.

Ultimately I think the benefits (odor resistance and quick drying) are worth it, especially for travel, and have switched most of my shirts over to merino wool. Just be aware that they won't last forever and will need to be replaced.

Oh, and Icebreaker boxers are way better than ExOfficio. Especially when it's hot out.

I don't have a lot of money, but I do have an icebreaker long-sleeved shirt that I use for hiking, running and skiing. It has lasted me 5 years at this point, with regular use. Can I ask if you handwash your wool with soap meant for wool?

In the winter, I usually wash it once every week/two weeks (because it's only used for running in the cold months) and when I do, I soak it with around 30 degree water and like 2 drops of wool deturgent in a sink for 15-25 minutes, then I rinse out the soap carefully, afterwards I use a dry towel to "roll up" the shirt to get most of the moisture out, then I lay the shirt on a clothes drying stand so that it's laid out flat and in the correct 'shape'. :bigtran:

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

prinneh posted:

I don't have a lot of money, but I do have an icebreaker long-sleeved shirt that I use for hiking, running and skiing. It has lasted me 5 years at this point, with regular use. Can I ask if you handwash your wool with soap meant for wool?

Do you only hike on trails? Lightweight 100% merino wool is basically incapable of handling abrasion. You can either get the heavier stuff, or get a merino-synth blend for increased abrasion resistance.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
For the people wanting to get merino shirts, I'd recommend checking out Sierra Trading Post. With coupons, I've picked up a few from them for under $20.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah Sierra Trading Post is great, I got a couple Nau jackets from them for like $60 each. They usually have 20-25% off coupons floating around too.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Keldoclock posted:

Do you only hike on trails? Lightweight 100% merino wool is basically incapable of handling abrasion. You can either get the heavier stuff, or get a merino-synth blend for increased abrasion resistance.

Nope, but I'm not acting out scenes from Die Hard on a clifftop somewhere either. Honestly, I'm not really sure I understand your question or your recommendation to me. I have gotten a lot a use out of my icebreaker and I've put that down to how I wash it rather than how I wear it, so I thought I might share how I wash it.

I apologise, but I really don't understand why you are recommending I buy a merino synth blend or a heavier merino when I'm perfectly happy with what I have and all I did was share a method for handwashing wool?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

General experience, washing is going to add far, far more to the wear of your clothes than actual wearing if you're a 1st world modern type. I know that when I left home I suddenly found clothes didn't turn worn and faded after 6 months because I was washing things at a 30-40 degrees and rack drying them whereas my mum's instinct was to wash everything at max temp/spin speed and the same for drying. If you've got anything vaguely delicate (and wool is delicate) hot temps or machine drying will kill them super fast. Unless you're wearing them for weeks at a time actually doing stuff, you probably don't need to worry so much about general wear.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'll second that thin ice breaker t shirts and super awesome, can be worn for days without stinking but will fall apart after about 9 months of continuous travel.

Smartwool is like a cheaper shittier version but isn't terrible.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

prinneh posted:

In the winter, I usually wash it once every week/two weeks (because it's only used for running in the cold months) and when I do, I soak it with around 30 degree water and like 2 drops of wool deturgent in a sink for 15-25 minutes, then I rinse out the soap carefully, afterwards I use a dry towel to "roll up" the shirt to get most of the moisture out, then I lay the shirt on a clothes drying stand so that it's laid out flat and in the correct 'shape'. :bigtran:
When traveling I typically hand wash in the sink out of necessity, but at home I'll just throw it in the machine following the care instructions. Honestly I don't think it makes much of a difference in terms of wear and tear compared to other factors like the weight of the fabric and how often they're worn. My 150-weight T-shirts and boxers tend to wear out the quickest because I'm wearing them all the time, but I do have some 200-weight long-sleeved shirts that have lasted about 5 years too.

BogginHarry
Nov 23, 2004

I found these shoes in Clarks and I'm tempted to get them, though they're quite expensive:

Clarks Skyward Edge
http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/26102522

Not sure if they do them in all regions.

They're designed for walking (good soles, well-cushioned and they're supposed to circulate air nicely) and look like they would suit most situations. They would even work on a night out as they have a nice leather finish.

There are more designs in their "Skyward" range.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Humphrey Vasel posted:

"The recommendation by the International Air Transport Association suggests an 'optimal' carry-on size at 21.5 inches (55cm) tall by 13.5 inches (34cm) wide by 7.5 inches (19cm) deep", though I've seen some places say 55x35x20cm. Also bear in mind not all airlines have adopted those guidelines. It's more something to keep an eye on for now.

source: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/10/plane-passengers-may-need-to-buy-new-suitcases-in-plan-to-shrink-carry-on-size

This is not happening, by the way:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/18/airline-group-scraps-plan-to-reduce-size-of-carry-on-luggage-after-backlash

Airlines would have still been free to set their own size limits, but IATA is withdrawing its suggestions.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
As one of the people who told them to kill themselves, I do not retract my request as they're still fighting to make airline fares more opaque in North America by not including taxes in the listed price.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Plaza premium lounge is full. Everyone must lineup outside except for business class travellers. Must be the summer holidays. drat too many card holders

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I was thinking of backpacking across europe on the real cheap, i.e. not even staying in hostels much if possible, just wandering around to anything on the horizon I see - anyone else here tried that, how did it work out? Any big tips I should know that aren't in the OP?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
As in land in a random airport and start walking?

Tat could either be awesome or stupid, I dunno which. Take a green tent and don't go in winter.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

effectual posted:

I was thinking of backpacking across europe on the real cheap, i.e. not even staying in hostels much if possible, just wandering around to anything on the horizon I see - anyone else here tried that, how did it work out? Any big tips I should know that aren't in the OP?

Lie to customs when they ask how much money you have to sustain you during your stay or else they'll literally send you back.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I thought Merino wool was magic, but it turns out if you hike for it in 33°C weather in full sun and coastal humidity for six hours, it actually still smells like death after it dries. It does seem immune to lesser punishments though.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Saladman posted:

I thought Merino wool was magic, but it turns out if you hike for it in 33°C weather in full sun and coastal humidity for six hours, it actually still smells like death after it dries. It does seem immune to lesser punishments though.

How was it after a hand wash? I imagine poly shirts in that environment would have melted into your skin, so technically worse but both are still bad.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

effectual posted:

Use busservices and couchsurfing. Like, it's possible to go to sleep overnight on the beach in Barcelona or say, to sneak into a small park and sleep there if there is no security, but unless you're dressed like a homeless person and haven't got anything of value, you should avoid major cities if you want to sleep on the street. Or, if you're into punk music, there's a whole european scene for that with abandoned houses where you can stay, but that probably/maybe won't work if you're american I think, could possibly depend on whoever is staying there at the time.

Also, Most intereuropean busses have night services, meaning you can get on at midnight and arrive in the morning, that makes both for cheap travel and a "free bed" for the night.

If you want to bring a tent that can be done easily in the countryside, just not in major cities, I'd reckon. My biggest tip then would probably be decide where you want to go in advance and find ninjacamping/stealthcamping spot recommendations online. For instance, I did that in Edinburgh last year, it was just a matter of taking a bus about an hour away from the city late at night, pitch a tent on a green hill and then go back to the city in the morning. It can be done, but for a month that would be very tiring. So, maybe that in combination with couchsurfing could work.

Ask the guys in the european travel thread maybe? This travelgear thread is a little dead and it's mainly gear specific talk like luggage recommendations and merinowool :)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

How was it after a hand wash? I imagine poly shirts in that environment would have melted into your skin, so technically worse but both are still bad.

I stuffed it in a plastic bag, double bagged it (and everything else I was wearing that day) and will untie it when I do laundry. But that's a good idea, I should've tried handwashing it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does anyone here have a favorite daypack that is small/collapsable and can easily fit into a larger bag? I'm going around South America for four months, starting mid-September, and want to be able to leave my large bag in hotels/apartments sometimes while still having a reasonably-large bag to take around town.

The best so far I've been able to find is the Lightweight Travel Tote by Patagonia or maybe the New Outlander travel backpack? I haven't found so many alternatives yet. Patagonia's thing isn't carried on Amazon also which is annoying.

I was initially thinking of cramming all my stuff into a 33L backpack, but if I get a second pack like this, then taking a 33L bag shouldn't be as insane (since I can end up with ~50L with the two combined, e.g. if I want to do a lazy-rear end job packing one day, or if I want to buy food and carry it around).

Also does anyone have thoughts about the steriPEN? I don't think we really need it very much honestly since we're going Argentina -> Chile -> Bolivia -> Peru -> Colombia -> Panama -> Costa Rica, with the only sketchy water area really being Bolivia and maybe Titicaca (we'll be around Cuzco and Titicaca in Peru only).

Edit: Here's my packing list so far, for mid-Sept -> mid-January, starting in Buenos Aires and then moving north from the Chilean coast until Costa Rica

== Clothes ==
2x Icebreaker merino wool short sleeved t-shirt
2x Icebreaker merino wool long sleeved shirt
1x arcteryx long-sleeved shirt-sweater-thing
2x Arcteryx underwear
2x Exofficio underwear
2x short wool socks
2x long wool socks
1x long wool underwear
1x merino wool sweater
1x arcteryx rain jacket
1x pants (not jeans)
1x short/swimsuit combo
1x polo shirt when I need to look presentable
1x light silk scarf
1x flip flops (can shower in and wear out)
1x running shoes
1x sunglasses

== Stuff == [portioned for two people, i.e. 2x = one for each of us, so 1x sleeping bag = we have to tear it in half if we both want it]
2x microfiber towel
1x 12'' macbook/charger [E: I need this for work, and it's the smallest/lightest laptop that will suit the purpose]
1x 7'' tablet/charger [same as phone]
2x phone/charger
2x headlamp
1x lumix GM1, 25mm, 14-35mm, macro lenses/charger
1x 20L collapsable travel bag
1x headphone splitter (there are two of us)
2x in-ear-canal headphones
1x fork-knife-spoon combo [ I guess we'll have to eat in turns :/ ]
1x swiss army knife
1x universal plug converter [1x plug and 2x USB ports -- so good for all electronics except camera + computer charging at same time]
1x deck of cards
2x travel locks -> any ideas here?
1x money belt (? not sure if really necessary)
1x steriPEN (? again not sure)
1x sleeping bag (? again not sure if necessary; I have a very lightweight one that compresses into about the size of two fists so could double as a travel pillow)
2x 500 mL collapsable water bottles
1x 1L collapsable water bottle

--> will see if this all fits into my 33L Osprey; otherwise I'll buy whatever the smallest pack it all fits into is

Medical kit: anti-malarial, anti-altitude, antibiotic ointment, antinflammatories/headache, melatonin, bandaids, bugspray, sunscreen, toothpaste, etc. (E: ziploc bags, kleenex)

I found these peoples' lists (also have a M/F version) which seems pretty much in tune with mine, but looking for ideas anyone else has! http://worldlynomads.com/index.php/backpacking-packing-list/

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 27, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I Don't want to be that guy but you don't need 2 phones, a laptop and a tablet to do 4 months in South America. Ditch the tablet or laptop or both.

Pulling out a tablet in public is a great way to say "hey I've got expensive poo poo".

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

I Don't want to be that guy but you don't need 2 phones, a laptop and a tablet to do 4 months in South America. Ditch the tablet or laptop or both.

Pulling out a tablet in public is a great way to say "hey I've got expensive poo poo".

The "stuff" part is for two people. I'm not going to try and save 4 oz on a phone that would make it a much larger hassle to do things separately from my girlfriend and to need to make sure we have a rendezvous organized whenever we go our separate ways.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I get that, and that's why I didn't say to ditch one of the phones. Both a laptop and a tablet isn't nessesary.

Edit: also why are you taking a single knifeforkspoon thing to share but not any cooking equipment, much less tent/Matt? I can't think of any situation you could be in where a spoon/fork would be useful that one wouldt be provided.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 26, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

[Packing List]

1 - Don't take a laptop. I do like taking a tablet as my s5 just isn't big enough to do some things, but the laptop sucks. Never travel with a laptop unless you must.
2 - I think the steripen is a good idea. I'm not sure about Cuzco as all hotels say that they use filtered and treated water, but in general Peru is known for poor water quality. I haven't been to the other countries in South America, so I can't speak for them. Getting a stomach bug while traveling is the loving worst. It's kinda more important that you ask for all food well-done, though. As my friend who travels there three times a year says: always order the food well done in South America.
3 - Wool pants are pretty key if you don't care about how torn up they get. Anything else besides running shoes to go with those pants?
4 - Moneybelt isn't necessary, but I'm tall, broad, and look mean so I can only speak to my own experiences in how I've never been threatened or hassled.
5 - Are you bringing a portable USB battery pack? They're pretty convenient and handy.
6 - Are your phones unlocked? Do you know how to use APNs? I'd be shocked if you ran into a cell phone rep who did while down there.
7 - My polo shirt is also wool, which is good to keep the stink off at night. I've only worn it once, so I can't give a thorough review.
8 - Your swiss army knife will need to be in checked baggage.
9 - Hat?
10 - Where are you actually planning to use your sleeping bag? Are you bringing a silk liner? They're expensive, but with that gear list I assume money ain't a thang. You'd want a hat for any sleeping bag use as well.
11 - I cannot emphasize enough that you should bring a small pack of kleenex wherever you go. And not the cheap stuff.
12 - Bring lots of quality zip-lock bags for your passport or anything else you don't want to get wet.
13 - Make a rain cover for your bag out of a trash bag and some scissors unless you really want to buy one and you're not worried about high winds.
14 - Water bottles?

Really, when it comes to clothing anything you forget can just be bought locally so that's not a worry. Most major cities and cities that are typically used as staging areas for hikes (Cuzco), you'll find outfitters selling anything you'd need or you can just buy a $5 shirt in a shop.

Travel backpacks: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Travel-Backpack-Reviews
Daypacks: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Daypack-Reviews

Between those two pages, you should be able to find something.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 26, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Wetwipes, carry Wetwipes.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Saladman posted:

The "stuff" part is for two people. I'm not going to try and save 4 oz on a phone that would make it a much larger hassle to do things separately from my girlfriend and to need to make sure we have a rendezvous organized whenever we go our separate ways.

Phones for sure, we always travel with ours or burners.

The laptop though, are you working? I can't ever leave mine behind but always wish I could.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Saladman posted:

Does anyone here have a favorite daypack that is small/collapsable and can easily fit into a larger bag? I'm going around South America for four months, starting mid-September, and want to be able to leave my large bag in hotels/apartments sometimes while still having a reasonably-large bag to take around town.

The best so far I've been able to find is the Lightweight Travel Tote by Patagonia or maybe the New Outlander travel backpack? I haven't found so many alternatives yet. Patagonia's thing isn't carried on Amazon also which is annoying.
The Tortuga Daypack just came out. I'll get mine on Wednesday and will post my thoughts on it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a laptop and tablet, assuming you're carrying one and your girlfriend is carrying the other. The only issue is the risk of theft.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

transient posted:

Phones for sure, we always travel with ours or burners.

The laptop though, are you working? I can't ever leave mine behind but always wish I could.

I'll have to do some work since it's four months and I'm not completely on holiday.The new macbook is only 2.0 pounds (charger also works for the phone) and I can't edit illustrator files on a tablet. Everything is synchronized with Dropbox so if my pack with $3k worth of electronics and clothes gets nicked it's not the end of the world or the trip, it'd just be a hassle, although of course I would do my best to avoid this!

Thanks for the other tips. I guess commercial jetlines just within South America care about swiss army knives? I can check a bag on my way into Buenos Aires and out of Costa Rica, but e.g. from Peru to Colombia I I'd trust it a little less. Maybe I'll just bring the combo fork-knife-spoon and hope TSA doesn't know what it is. A knife is pretty much essential for making sandwiches and whatever, although it's fair that the fork and spoon are a little more ???.

Blinkman987 posted:

[Packing List]
3 - Wool pants are pretty key if you don't care about how torn up they get. Anything else besides running shoes to go with those pants?

I have a pair of lovely Converse-knockoffs I was thinking of bringing as well that will probably wear out in about two months, and I figure I can pick something else up along the way. I've heard that high quality sports clothes are hard to find (or ridiculously expensive in Santiago and BA) which is why that's all my clothing list consists of (and in any case I already own everything on the list except for the steriPEN; I'm not going on a crazy spending spree for excessive travel gear). I might hate having only four shirts after two weeks of the trip, but I figure I can buy a "I Lost My Heart At Igazu Falls" shirt and wear it like an idiot for the next two months.

Blinkman987 posted:

6 - Are your phones unlocked? Do you know how to use APNs? I'd be shocked if you ran into a cell phone rep who did while down there.
10 - Where are you actually planning to use your sleeping bag? Are you bringing a silk liner? They're expensive, but with that gear list I assume money ain't a thang. You'd want a hat for any sleeping bag use as well.
11 - I cannot emphasize enough that you should bring a small pack of kleenex wherever you go. And not the cheap stuff.
12 - Bring lots of quality zip-lock bags for your passport or anything else you don't want to get wet.
13 - Make a rain cover for your bag out of a trash bag and some scissors unless you really want to buy one and you're not worried about high winds.
14 - Water bottles?

6. Phones are unlocked, I'd never heard of APNs before. I figured it was like a VPN but apparently not. Any suggestions for providers? I don't need Internet every day, but I do need it every week. In general low bandwidth is fine, I mostly just need email and files less than ~50 Mb, although Dropbox sync of photos would be nice. Internet seems like it's fairly pervasive at hostels, but maybe they nickel-and-dime you for terrible, slow access.
10. I was planning to use it as a pillow or as a liner for filthy hostel rooms. We're not going to camp at all except maybe on the Inca Trail so it wouldn't be for the traditional sleeping bag use. Maybe a silk liner would work better, although I like the idea of using the current bag as a pillow.
11-12 Excellent, thanks. Ziplocs should go #1 on every travel list since they're impossible to find outside of the US and Canada. I've lived in Europe for 6 years and I still import the things whenever I go to the US.
14. Have a couple collapsable/flat 500 mLs and one collapsable 1L.

VVVV Yeah I should probably just do that. It's not like they're hard to find.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Saladman posted:

Thanks for the other tips. I guess commercial jetlines even within South America care about swiss army knives? I can check a bag on my way into Buenos Aires and out of Costa Rica, but e.g. from Peru to Colombia I I'd trust it a little less. Maybe I'll just bring the combo fork-knife-spoon and hope TSA doesn't know what it is. A knife is pretty much essential for making sandwiches and whatever, although it's fair that the fork and spoon are a little more ???.

I usually just buy a cheap knife when I arrive somewhere to avoid any check-in trouble.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I've been doing a fake wallet in my back pocket and a money clip in my front when in the 3rd world for the last few years now. Gives me some peace of mind without any real inconvenience.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

APNs are basically how your phone, if it can't figure it out on its own, knows which network to look for. You can usually find APN info on a carrier's website, though you should Google that before you leave. No particular carrier recommendations. I've only been to Peru so far (Chile and Argentina next year whooo!). Nobody in Peru knew how to adjust my APN settings, and Verizon was zero help because they're fuckers.

Sleeping bag liners are far more useful and more packable. If you want a pillow, a laundry bag and random sweatshirt are probably more convenient. If you want to do the inca trail, any hiking company will provide you a sleeping bag for a nominal fee. Laundry is also pretty cheap in South America (so long as you don't have the hotel do it). I laundered my entire suitcase after our Inca trail hike for about ~$8, next day service.

Converse and Chucks knockoffs have no arch support or padding. I would not recommend them for daily use. I'd also pack a second pair of pants and shorts just to let them air out for a day or to better match an outfit if you want to look put together.

Seconding wet wipes. I usually pack some babywipes and some cheapy single-packaged ones from BBQ places.

For outfitters, any major city (or where rich people live/visit) has one. Here's just an example of corporate North Face stores you'd find in Peru: http://www.thenorthface.com.pe/larcomar/

I don't know which Arc'teryx jacket you have, but I took the recommendation of everyone in the hiking thread over in YLLS and bought a Patagonia Houdini. It's far too hot in CA for a windbreaker right now, but I used it all the time before then. I would definitely use it more abroad and only break out my rain jacket if absolutely necessary.

Edit: Buy two pairs of ~$15 earbuds and throw them in a separate area of a pack. If you ever lose your good headphones or forget them somewhere, you'll at least have some quality back ups.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 27, 2015

Caffeinated Bacon
May 23, 2007
That's enough motive, I suppose, to make a man dress like Dracula and assault criminals

Outrail posted:

Wetwipes, carry Wetwipes.

This cannot be emphasized enough, especially in a 3rd world. Expect lots of shitters without a seat or toilet paper.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You'll also be thankful for them when you had had a bath in a week, or when the food you shouldn't have eaten but was totally worth it gives you the most horrendous case of the shits you've ever had.

See a doctor if you poo poo blood for more than a few months.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Have you guys all seen this yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597538543/the-worlds-best-travel-jacket-with-15-features-bau

If it is made with decent quality the hoodie might be pretty good for wearing on planes/trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm genuinely impressed how confidently it straddles the line between cool and dumb.

I'd have to look more when it comes out but would probably buy one when my current microfleece dies (edit: the 'sweatshirt' is cotton, if it was polartec I'd definitely get obe).

I'd end up using the pockets for the wrong things but pen/zipper, eye mask and glove things are cool. Neck brace is eh, but I think I saw him put an open coke can in it and that is A grade retard right there.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 8, 2015

• Locked thread