Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

just use ur works printer for the 1 or 2 things a year you need to print.
thats what im replacing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

thats what im replacing

im using a hp 2050 deskjet, which is the first printer that i've owned that has not given me the urge to throw it against a wall and smash it with a brick after.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
go find a used laserjet 4 or 5, they last forever and they'll keep making toner for them until the sun explodes. i've got a 5p hooked up to a USB->1284 cable and it's possibly the most reliable thing of any kind that i've ever owned

the 6es and newer are all garbage though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

thats what im replacing

for work printing just get a big all in one from one of those printer leasing companies or w/e. then make sure everyone knows when it breaks they call the printer company and not you.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
and if you need something in color just go to a walgreens or kinkos fedex office or something

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

oh wait you're replacing a work printer nvm

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

all high-capacity business printers are garbage of one kind or another, lease one with a service contract like shaggar said and make it somebody else's problem

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

laserjet 4 GOAT business printer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Heresiarch posted:

all high-capacity business printers are garbage of one kind or another, lease one with a service contract like shaggar said and make it somebody else's problem
of the mfds, hp are probably the ones i've had the least hassle with, as ridiculous as that may seem

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 1, 2015

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

oh and if you're offered a printer or copier with network scanning capability by the company you're leasing it from, don't bother because nobody in the office will use it and the software will be utter garbage anyway

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Heresiarch posted:

oh and if you're offered a printer or copier with network scanning capability by the company you're leasing it from, don't bother because nobody in the office will use it and the software will be utter garbage anyway

yeah we have it configured to import an address book so it sends you the scan as an attachment over email. some of them will support scanning to SMB so you can have it dumped in to network share to retrieve but there is a lot of terrible scanning software that attempts to be "easier" than those two methods.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Heresiarch posted:

also when you upgrade your servers to 2k12, and the scanners which had been set up ages ago don't work with smb3 or whatever and need a firmware update that both isn't available publicly online and the leasing company knows nothing about

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
transition to a byop model op

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

anthonypants posted:

is that something The SEO Rapper did

this one isn't html5 but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0qMe7Z3EYg

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
:negative: I think I bricked a CN-60 chromebox while attempting to install poo poo rear end linux on it :negative:

nothing comes up on the screen, lights up the box like it's working, blank loving screen

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

scored a flawless laserjet 5 for a pittance, im pleased

if you can find one in here, theyre so far away that retrieval is impossible and the astronomical postage kills all other options

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Shaggar posted:

for work printing just get a big all in one from one of those printer leasing companies or w/e. then make sure everyone knows when it breaks they call the printer company and not you.

this is the most correct post in all of yospos

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
my labtop is hosed up. it froze up shortly after i opened it. turned it back on and it started doing disk check. froze during flipping disk check and then shut off. turn it on and it says lenovo for a while and then turns off. turned it on again and it boot from my optical drive that i conveniently had a windows partition on (dont ask). i can win+e and see my other drive, but what can i do to figure out what is hosed up w/ it? i have it setup to boot from 1tb ssd and optical has 256mb ssd if that matters. running windows 8.1 and using chrome (chome :xd:)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ok. your shits hosed, op

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

obstipator posted:

my labtop is hosed up. it froze up shortly after i opened it. turned it back on and it started doing disk check. froze during flipping disk check and then shut off. turn it on and it says lenovo for a while and then turns off. turned it on again and it boot from my optical drive that i conveniently had a windows partition on (dont ask). i can win+e and see my other drive, but what can i do to figure out what is hosed up w/ it? i have it setup to boot from 1tb ssd and optical has 256mb ssd if that matters. running windows 8.1 and using chrome (chome :xd:)

partition table is hosed? does the drive show up in the bios?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i can win+e and see all the stuff in the broken drive. im currently copying over all my important poo poo from one drive to the other. but the one drive just seems to be unbootable atm. the most recent boot up said it was skipping diskcheck and went straight to a windows update being applied lol. then i realized it was just booting from my optical drive

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have some windows update that's stuck: windows wants to reboot to apply it all the time, but then it fails to do so. how can I figure out what's going on? win 8.1.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

I have some windows update that's stuck: windows wants to reboot to apply it all the time, but then it fails to do so. how can I figure out what's going on? win 8.1.
which update

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i keep getting this in console:

its making it really hard to see other messages since it spams the console every loving second. anyone have any idea what this is?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Beeftweeter posted:

i keep getting this in console:

its making it really hard to see other messages since it spams the console every loving second. anyone have any idea what this is?
woah deja vu, you should ask this guy who asked the same thing in shsc a few months ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

which update

I can't tell, there's nothing in the event log that I can see. There aren't any important updates available now, though there were 15 this morning, so maybe it took care of itself? That would be nice, it's been bugging me for weeks.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

im playing with the amazon clod for the first time and it's taking 10+ minutes to spin up a new elastic beanstalk. this isn't very agile. elastic beanstalk is a bad name.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my stepdads beer posted:

im playing with the amazon clod for the first time and it's taking 10+ minutes to spin up a new elastic beanstalk. this isn't very agile. elastic beanstalk is a bad name.

especially because they have a very very different product called "EBS"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol the 'eb deploy' command zips up your entire source and uploads it instead of just the diff since last commit

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

anthonypants posted:

woah deja vu, you should ask this guy who asked the same thing in shsc a few months ago

lmao rn tia

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

email: what's the best gmail alternative, and should i bother with a not-browser email client

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

outlook.com, no (except on a phone)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Forums Terrorist posted:

email: what's the best gmail alternative, and should i bother with a not-browser email client
fastmail

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

anthonypants posted:

that was my other non-retard personality

thanks i forgot about this

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yandex

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have a node server at work that has apis and i have to document these apis now. is swagger the best tool for this?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

obstipator posted:

i have a node server at work that has apis and i have to document these apis now. is swagger the best tool for this?

actually it's shaggar

but close

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Forums Terrorist posted:

fastmail and the webmail is pretty good but i'm no webmail connoisseur

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

i got my amazon clod going and it's 100x faster than my digital ocean vm, which had trouble rendering some django templates in less than 900ms. i know it's python and therefore super slow but seriously

also now i don't have to janitor my server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

does DO have an overprovisioning problem because it feels like they do